Role of Tourist Police

cuhullan1

Anyone who lives in the Rawai beach area of Phuket will be aware of the Police checkpoint at the intersection of Soi Yuan and the road to Kata.Here the police stop and fine on the spot farangs without helmets or license. Funny part is ,it is run by a rude tourist policeman.I was recently stopped and my Thai girlfriend had no helmet on.This ,yes is an offence and she agreed to pay at the police station but was refused and told by the tourist policeman she must pay on the spot.Yes i had to pay as she had no money.Also they now look for license where as before the license from your country was ok.Apparently the tourist policeman in question has told the Thai police what to look for on the license to denote motorcycle class.The fact that you have to pay on the spot and cannot go to the police station seems ,,well fishy.Also no reciept for the offence commited.Would the checkpoint be better suited on the main road if it was about road safety and not tucked away on a tourist route. What is the true role of the tourist police ?

Paying on the spot without a receipt = bribe.

I believe the normal non corrupt procedure is for the 'police' to take your driving license and give it back to you when you pay the fine at the police station.

These 'police' probably won't be able to do that as they are not the real police.

Were there any real police officers there, not Thai tourist police but the real police carrying guns ?

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

Yes real police there but one would think that the tourist policeman would not be.He is usually the one that stops you.Every other day hughe que of farangs.If it was really road safety it would be on Viset road.But then again traffic would probably come to a standstill with stopping every person without a helmet or no license.Does not give you much faith in the tourist police when they are suppose to be helping tourists and not relieving them of their money !!

Yes real police there but one would think that the tourist policeman would not be.He is usually the one that stops you.Every other day hughe que of farangs.If it was really road safety it would be on Viset road.But then again traffic would probably come to a standstill with stopping every person without a helmet or no license.Does not give you much faith in the tourist police when they are suppose to be helping tourists and not relieving them of their money !!

Welcomeeeeeeeeeeee

When you say tourist police, are you actually referring to the tourist police or a police volunteer, ie, a foreigner dressed up?

Edit: If it is the later, I think you will find that it would be illegal for them to issue you with a fine in the first place, and 100% sure that not issuing you with a receipt is wrong in either case.

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

In my view the tourist police should be stopping farang and advising them that licence and helmet are required under Thai Law and further more that they would be fined should they be pulled over by a real copper.

I can't see how a volunteer copper can have any legal power to fine or take money. Maybe someone can expand on the powers that are vested in the tourist police

On a further note I always shake my head when I see farang riding without proper helmets on. Having had a relative suffer a severe brain injury and subsequent death after a low speed accident I can only hope no one else suffers what his family did.

I can't see how a volunteer copper can have any legal power to fine or take money. Maybe someone can expand on the powers that are vested in the tourist police

If he's got a gun he's real Police. The Tourist Police are mainly used as translators and sort out minor problems with tourists but they have no powers of arrest or can they fine you personally. They usually work closely with a real cop.

"What is the true role of the tourist police ?"

To Police the Tourists?

Yes!

Many westerners imagine the role of the Tourist Police is to help and protect tourists. The TAT-friendly image is one of a safeguard for tourists should problems arise.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

They're there to make sure tourists don't break the law or cause trouble for Thais, even those trying to scam or rip them off.

As with regular Thai police (i.e. the mafia), avoid at all costs.

I'm sure the board's resident Thaier-than-Thai, Thai-can-do-no-wrong brigade will defend them, saying they've never had any problems or that they've been helped by them and sure, there are good ones. But generally, as a whole, they're not there to help you.

There is so much different police that i also don't know who is legal and who is not.

I've been stopped several times this week while riding motorbike. They are along the roads every day now in Bangkok. I did nothing wrong, had my papers complete, wear the helmet, keep left and they let me go every time without paying.

Now we have the army everywhere along the roads, normal police, volunteer police, tourist police, road police, security guards who stop traffic, roadworkers who stop traffic, rescue teams , parking guards and probably even more.It is complicated.

Also the cleaners who sweep the pavement wear yellow vests now and many times i think they are the police untill i come closer.

I'm not sure where the OP got the idea in his head that the Tourist Police are here to "help"!!! Help themselves to your money, perhaps...

The last time I read about them in the news, wasn't it about one of their clan getting arrested for protecting a gang of ATM skimmers in the Korat area???

But as for their status, AFAIK, the Thai Tourist Police (not the farang volunteers or assistants or whatever they're called in various places) are part of the regular Thai police force (RTP), and have all the same legal authority as the regular officers.

As for riding around on a motorcycle without a helmet, the fine was deserved -- whomever issued it.

As for the translation issue, maybe it's different in Pattaya or Phuket, but here in Bangkok, as best as I can tell, few if any of the Tourist Police here speak much English. Try calling the main Tourist Police phone hotline, and see how long it takes in order to get an English speaker there...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

To answer some of the posts,my Thai girlfriend had no helmet,yes an offence no matter how many times i tell her.I have a Thai motorbike license and a Aussie one insured etc.Been riding bikes for 28 years.The tourist cop is a farang in the brown uniform,,slightly too tight i must say.If it really is road safety there would be better places!!

This is an official check, with receipts handed out. And if you have no money on you, you can leave your DL there with the police, go home, get money and pay at the police station where your DL will be returned to you. Or if you got fined because of no DL you can take a motorbike taxi.

Lots of incorrect information in the OP.

Oh, and the guy is NOT tourist police.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

Simon43 will be responding soon, he was a tourist policeman in Phuket for years. He will tell us what a great job they are doing and how they are an essential part of the Thai police force.

I still am a Tourist Police Volunteer (TPV) (at the airport), but if you care to check my previous posts on this matter, you'll see that I have criticised the actions of the volunteer police on a number of occasions, and I am happy to put my name to those criticisms.

There is often confusion over these foreign volunteers because there are several different teams, each reporting to different Thai bosses, each with a different agenda, each with a different way to implement their responsibilities.

If any volunteer demands money, I suggest you take a photo/video of their face and provide this evidence to the police or anti-corruption department. That goes also for demanding free drinks in a bar when flashing their ID card.

• Like 2

The post by Steven L.I have stated the facts .My Thai girlfriend had no helmet = fine.Farang tourist policeman in brown uniform.Long line of farangs getting fined for no license,helmet etc.Out of the way spot and not on the main strip.Not allowed to pay at police station,must pay on spot.Read the post and not the threads.Original question was what role has the tourist policeman in question got? Sorry that is about as clear as i can make it !!

The post by Steven L.I have stated the facts .My Thai girlfriend had no helmet = fine.Farang tourist policeman in brown uniform.Long line of farangs getting fined for no license,helmet etc.Out of the way spot and not on the main strip.Not allowed to pay at police station,must pay on spot.Read the post and not the threads.Original question was what role has the tourist policeman in question got? Sorry that is about as clear as i can make it !!

I pass that spot every day, and see exactly what happens. Which is not what you're writing here.

See post # 10 BTW.

• Like 1

Some Falung Tourist Police wear real Police uniforms if he hasn't got a gun he's Tourist Police. No Falung Tourist Police are allowed to carry a gun and they cannot fine you on the spot, but they can detain you until a real cop arrives.

Some Falung Tourist Police wear real Police uniforms if he hasn't got a gun he's Tourist Police. No Falung Tourist Police are allowed to carry a gun and they cannot fine you on the spot, but they can detain you until a real cop arrives.

Also police volunteers are not allowed to carry a gun.

The outline of the post is what is his role and why forced to pay on the spot.Also if it was really about road safety it would be on Viset road where you would have a line back to Bangkok with no helmet, license, non road worthy vechiles etc,like so many posts they all go off on a tangent depending on the replies.Hope this makes it all clear.If it is making tea money i have an issue,especially if it is someone who is supposed to be assisting tourists !!

The outline of the post is what is his role and why forced to pay on the spot.Also if it was really about road safety it would be on Viset road where you would have a line back to Bangkok with no helmet, license, non road worthy vechiles etc,like so many posts they all go off on a tangent depending on the replies.Hope this makes it all clear.If it is making tea money i have an issue,especially if it is someone who is supposed to be assisting tourists !!

1. He is not a tourist police volunteer.

2. There is no forced payment on the spot, but to make life easy and avoid complaints from everybody about having to go to Chalong policestation one can pay on the spot.

3. Yes, not about safety but about making money, they need that in order to keep the station running. Just as back home is not about safety but about money.

4. He is not in charge or running the check, he is merely there to assist.

If you do a check on the forum I think you will find a post similar to yours about 2 months ago or so, I think from member Chainsaw.

I don't believe you said anything in your OP post about the "police" guy being a farang....

There are NO farang "tourist police."

There ARE farangs who serve as police volunteers and assistants in various places and ways.

But Tourist Police is an official arm of the Royal Thai Police force, and they don't hire farangs as officers, only Thais.