I was misquoted on Cabinet audio system, Panadda says

webfact

AUDIO CONTROVERSY
I was misquoted on Cabinet audio system, Panadda says

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- PM's Office minister ML Panadda Diskul said yesterday that a contract for a sophisticated audio system for the Cabinet conference room had yet to be signed.

Panadda, also permanent secretary of the office, said on Facebook that he had never given a media interview on the requisitioning of the system since he is not directly involved.

The director general of the Department of Public Works and Town and Country Planning is in charge of the project, he said. And he had made it clear to reporters that there was no contract to acquire the system.

The vendor's quote could be subject to negotiation and might come down below the reference price in line with the policy issued by Pol General Adul Saengsingkaew, a deputy chief of the National Council for Peace and Order.

The media report had misquoted him, he added.

According to press reports, Panadda on Thursday boasted that the new technology adopted for the Cabinet room was on par with that of the White House.

Room 501, reserved for the Council of Ministers meetings, has a sound system operated by a touch screen, a first for Thailand. It also is equipped with 89 new microphones priced at Bt145,000 each, a 55-inch high-definition video wall and videoconferencing facilities.

The renovation of the room, together with two other conference rooms, Rooms 301 and 302, cost Bt69 million.

Ruangkrai Leekijwattana, a legal official from the Pheu Thai Party, has called on Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha to check the purchase proposal.

He said he suspected irregularities, as the quote in the report was much higher than the market price of microphones with similar specifications, which go for about Bt99,000 without installation, and can be discounted by 15-20 per cent.

He called into question why the microphones and audio equipment were installed even before the purchase contract had been signed.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/I-was-misquoted-on-Cabinet-audio-system-Panadda-sa-30242756.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-08

Somehow I doubt the white house managed to pay 400% over normal retail for their microphones.

This issue is a no-brainer. I saw in yesterdays BP the size of this meeting room. It's like a aircraft hanger, massive. The simple solution is to use a smaller sized room.

• Like 2

Room 501, reserved for the Council of Ministers meetings, has a sound system operated by a touch screen, a first for Thailand. It also is equipped with 89 new microphones priced at Bt145,000 each, a 55-inch high-definition video wall and videoconferencing facilities.

I can only but presume that those microphones are indeed made from gold and surely a 55 inch H.D. video wall must of course be a necessity for all to see just how self important they consider themselves.

The director general of the Department of Public Works and Town and Country Planning is in charge of the project, he said. And he had made it clear to reporters that there was no contract to acquire the system.

The vendor's quote could be subject to negotiation and might come down below the reference price in line with the policy issued by Pol General Adul Saengsingkaew, a deputy chief of the National Council for Peace and Order.

As a matter of interest perhaps we might be informed as to when (what date) this matter was proposed and possibly initiated, also as to why there appears to be no contract?

Beat me to it... I was going to say EXACTLY the same thing... made from gold.

There are not many microphones available in the States costing more than $1000, and they're not much better, if at all, than a $100 mic.

Talk about graft in yer face, 89 x 145,000 = 13M Baht - for a room of microphones.... say no more blink.png

• Like 2

How on earth can the Price be "subject to negotiation"??

Newspaper pictures clearly show that around 50 of these Units have already been installed - I don't believe for a moment that any Seller would deliver and install equipment without a firm price already being agreed and a Contract signed.

Patrick

Oh dear, signs of hubris already (Panadda on Thursday boasted that the new technology adopted for the Cabinet room was on par with that of the White House). And you know what Pride comes before.

Finger-pointing (The director general of the Department of Public Works and Town and Country Planning is in charge of the project, he said).

145k Baht for a microphone?! Are these old codgers so hard of hearing that super duper gadgets are that necessary?

And if all else fails - blame the messenger (The media report had misquoted him, he added).

However, dear Public, we can assure you that this is a one-off aberration, and you will never see another incident like this reported in the press in the future. (Stage whisper - note to self, we should retain Martial Law and keep tighter control of the media for a while longer).

I understand that a 145 Baht microphone isn't good.

But a 14.500 Baht Microphone, heck use a 20.000 Baht Microphone should be already top end.

Various pictures and quotes suggest that the 'microphones' in question may be part of the Bosch DCN Multi-Media Conference system

http://www.boschsecurity.com/DCNmultimedia/

A few more details

http://emea.boschsecurity.com/emea_product/02_products_18/st_bu_f_249864_emea_catalog_prod_emea/st_section_f_323268_emea_catalog_prod_emea/st_section_p_323268_emea_catalog_prod_emea_323268#section_12199520395

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

Newspaper pictures clearly show that around 50 of these Units have already been installed - I don't believe for a moment that any Seller would deliver and install equipment without a firm price already being agreed and a Contract signed.

Patrick

And I can't imagine a Seller who has such expensive microphones on stock....

Edited by h90
  • Like 1

Sennheiser one of the leading manufacturers of high end microphones offers adequate equipment between 6.380 and 8.270 Thb (price for a single item). For the price of 145,000 Thb they will probably deliver gold plated, gem studded mics handmade by Tibetan monks designed by Prada and Armani.

The real joke is: they need these mics to discuss how to tackle corruption in this country?

And with the super best model and import tax and reseller markup you MAY reach 20K and lets add an installation fee....22K. And if I total underestimate things it might be 50 K (almost 2000 USD).....but no way 145K

• Like 2

And it's back to business as usual. Luckily the current guys are above corruption right? We can't verify that, but we have been assured.

But this guy:

Ruangkrai Leekijwattana, a legal official from the Pheu Thai Party, has called on ............. et al.:

"Hi, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black"

• Like 1

Patrick

You would be surprised at how many commercial agreements are transacted without contracts being signed and all the details therein documented.

People go ahead with things thinking they've agreed - trouble is when they all think differently or some have very selective memories. The majority are completed without ending up in court, through negotiation, mediation or arbitration. But, there are plenty that do and make for interesting reading.

Governments - central and local always have strict rules on tendering processes and may or may not allow post tender negotiations. But, plenty go wrong, through ineptness as well as corruption, in the US and EU.

I agree Patrick that you would expect all the fundamentals such as price, specifications and delivery to be agreed up front, but I can assure you, in reality that isn't the case.

Waiting with anticipation for the Democrats and the PDRC to request an investigation into this like with the digital clock scam........

The investigations into the new clock scam, the refurbishment of certain rooms scam, the tablets for school children scam, the rice scam etc should all be concluded. The process of public procurement and the oversight procedures should urgently be examined. Procurement is not usually carried out by politicians, but by civil servants. But the politicians approve everything. Any new projects, like these microphones and equipment should be transparent, and not accept the usual fluffy answers to questions that appear contradictory that were a hallmark of the previous regime. Otherwise nothing changes except some of the beneficiaries.

billd766 post # 27

Who actually opened the contract for the refurbishment and when was it signed off and by whom?

Situation puts me in mind of a ''fire truck'' deal n the past. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Who actually opened the contract for the refurbishment and when was it signed off and by whom?

I am not 100% sure if it is, but if these rooms are at Govt house it, according to the other paper 252 million renovation project was approved by the NCPO on the 22nd July.

They sure know how to do a renovation on the quick. About 8-9 million dollars of works in around 6 weeks.

An investigation would sort this little mess out P.M. Prayuth.

Will The Man toss this into the 'too hard basket' - like the lottery price clampdown, or The 'I don't care it is none of my business basket' - like the complaint over the launch of the rice book.