TAT set to crank up marketing to lure tourists

webfact

I use to holiday 2 times a year in Thailand from about 1998. I eventually I settled in Isaan and now after a few days on a beach, be it Koh Chang or Hua Hin, it is always nice to get back. The people are more friendly, the prices are considerably cheaper without anyone trying to rip you off and there are no big, fat, sweaty tourists wandering around. In my view Isaan wins hands down over the tourist destinations.

Please be quiet and speak no more about this. We want to maintain the illusion Issan is a poor dump and none should venture there.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use to holiday 2 times a year in Thailand from about 1998. I eventually I settled in Isaan and now after a few days on a beach, be it Koh Chang or Hua Hin, it is always nice to get back. The people are more friendly, the prices are considerably cheaper without anyone trying to rip you off and there are no big, fat, sweaty tourists wandering around. In my view Isaan wins hands down over the tourist destinations.

I have to go to Issan sometimes but can never wait to get away, too hot, too many insects and unbelievably boring, like being marooned on a desert island. Of course if you live in a large town there it's very different and can be better than a place like Bangkok, but the real countryside well off the beaten track and miles from a main road with no shops, clinics or even proper toilets, no thanks, even Pattaya is better than that.

I have to go to Issan sometimes but can never wait to get away, too hot, too many insects and unbelievably boring, like being marooned on a desert island. Of course if you live in a large town there it's very different and can be better than a place like Bangkok, but the real countryside well off the beaten track and miles from a main road with no shops, clinics or even proper toilets, no thanks, even Pattaya is better than that.

Best place to live in LOS is out in the sticks of Issan.

But no, not a lot of good for holidays.

Chaweng is the worst part of Samui in many regards. A bit like visiting the UK and staying in Newcastle. Or visiting the US, and staying in Ontario. Kind of the armpit of Samui. Especially with horrendous places like the Ark Bar. Admit your mistake.

"Or visiting the US, and staying in Ontario"

Funny, I could have sworn that Ontario was in another country, and not the USA, or was that the point ? blink.png

Ontario, California is in the San Gabriel Valley about 50 miles east of Los Angeles. Fairly large city with a regional airport. Very smoggy area, and very busy, with a ridiculously busy section of the I-10 freeway. Hence the reference to Ontario being somewhat comparable to Chaweng, as the armpit of Samui. Samui is a really beautiful island, but you have to get away from that area to really see it.

Thanks, I learned something new ! wai2.gif

I have happy memories of Samui (and Lamai Beach), some 20-25 years ago, but would hate to spoil them by re-visiting now.

I recall thinking, at about the same time, that I hoped that Phuket wouldn't make the same mistakes of over-developing like Pattaya. sad.png

Shame on Thailand for NEVER getting the point. For every million Baht they spend LYING to tourists the truth can be seen by millions of people free on YOUTUBE or by reading about all the scams and scum bags at tourist areas. Fix it soon or Thailand will not need a TAT.

No. Scams in Thailand and other Third World countries have been going on forever. It won't get fixed and TAT and tourism will continue. smile.png

Blinders are worn to the reason they have to now beg people to come here.

No. Normally the tourists numbers continue to rise anyway but the coup put a damper on things.

Nor are they "begging." That's merely a little comforting fantasy on your part. They are advertising the (good aspects of) the product same as any other producer w/ something to sell.

Funny how any TAT announcement is turned into an excuse to bash Thailand.

Edited by JSixpack

Shame on Thailand for NEVER getting the point. For every million Baht they spend LYING to tourists the truth can be seen by millions of people free on YOUTUBE or by reading about all the scams and scum bags at tourist areas. Fix it soon or Thailand will not need a TAT.

No. Scams in Thailand and other Third World countries have been going on forever. It won't get fixed and TAT and tourism will continue. smile.png

Blinders are worn to the reason they have to now beg people to come here.

No. Normally the tourists numbers continue to rise anyway but the coup put a damper on things.

Nor are they "begging." That's merely a little comforting fantasy on your part. They are advertising the (good aspects of) the product same as any other producer w/ something to sell.

Funny how any TAT announcement is turned into an excuse to bash Thailand.

And another excuse for Joe Sixpac to bash farangs.

Give it a break.

I suspect the huge figures they once had were long stayers..semi retired and visa runners coming in and out...which did inflate this so called huge number of tourist.

now i hear there are many people who were working illegally scared off and leaving, also many on overstay scared into leaving.

i myself had many stays range from 6-12 months but all this talk. Reading about crackdowns on farangs everytime you turn around..how arrogant to threaten people and then ask them back

One would say the height of arrogance!

When i stay there many years i hear children and adults say " thailand is dream destination for every country in world"

Just about every thai does believe this to be true and must even be all the way to the top to Generals and immigration officials.

it once was worth it and veryfew hassles to go to Thailand for extended holidays but with all this talk and bad press leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

i have condo, friends and found it easy to live there but now i an consider to look for a new "dream" destinations!