Royal Command names Gen Udomdej the new army strongman

Lite Beer

The stupidity of those who will attack anything just for the sake of it is amazing.

Try asking those in the flood hit areas what they think of the army who are always there to help in a disaster situation.

Or you could ask the thousands who are treated in the military hospitals every day of the week what they think.

Or even the school kids in military towns like Lopburi who are taken to school for free in army transport without being crammed in like sardines.

But lets get back to the topic and ask for suggestions for a better man for the job of army commander, after all someone has to do the job.

Those of you who know that this man is no good surely have some idea of who could do a better job.

Robby, these things you talk about are genuine help and welcomed in Thailand, the only problem is to acknowledge them is not in their rhetoric, it is not why they are posting, if it was they would admit to the good that the armed forces do.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stupidity of those who will attack anything just for the sake of it is amazing.

Try asking those in the flood hit areas what they think of the army who are always there to help in a disaster situation.

Or you could ask the thousands who are treated in the military hospitals every day of the week what they think.

Or even the school kids in military towns like Lopburi who are taken to school for free in army transport without being crammed in like sardines.

But lets get back to the topic and ask for suggestions for a better man for the job of army commander, after all someone has to do the job.

Those of you who know that this man is no good surely have some idea of who could do a better job.

They are supposed to, they must; Red Shirt/PTP apologist, based on my observations, have an acute need of belonging, they need to belong to a group that lets them cover themselves in a mantle of self righteousness and moral superiority; actual understanding of the facts and events not necessary or recommended. Whether it comes from moral snobbery or because they are embedded in a community that gives them brownie points for being the farang that sticks it to the elite man I don't know.

Never mind that they will turn a blind eye to piddling things like terrorism, large scale corruption and the like, they are good guys, therefore those they support are good and incapable of evil (they wouldn't support them if they weren't therefore they are) and if they actually do evil things, well is because those other guys are worse and they force them to do it anyway.

have any of these generals with all of their stars actually fought on a battlefield where their life was in real danger? or is it all for show? I think we all know the answer to that one.

I would suspect that in their junior officer days they were all at one time or another assigned to places like the South but as you are just posting to have a kick you wouldn't even make an attempt to find out..

and of course, this general wear yellow underwear... what a surprisewhistling.gif

Fair enough.

WHat are your views on the PTP Foreign minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul who said the new travel document for Mr Thaksin, who spends most of his time in Dubai avoiding a two year jail term for corruption, could be a "New Year's present". Especially when he stated he had no idea why he was promoted to the position as he had no experience as a foreign minister.

At least the Junta have put experienced people in the right position. Did the dictatorship? Regime? PTP?

Come on. I dare you to reply. Tell me who was less qualified in the Junta line up (which is a military dictatorship) compared to a more qualified candidate under a democratically elected government under the PTP?

Remember the Junta can put who they want in power. The PTP have to listen to the voice of the people.

Surapong? No experience in foreign affairs. Stated he had no idea what to do? The voice of the people? Remember the amnesty bill and the voice of the people?

I rest my case.

What color is your underwear?

So according to you a general have the correct experience to run a country ? You have the right to your view but history have proven you wrong many a time.

have any of these generals with all of their stars actually fought on a battlefield where their life was in real danger? or is it all for show? I think we all know the answer to that one.

I would suspect that in their junior officer days they were all at one time or another assigned to places like the South but as you are just posting to have a kick you wouldn't even make an attempt to find out..

The purpose of the Thai army is not to protect the country (there is no foreign enemy) but to acquire/maximise political power and above all generate profit for its senior officers.In the occasional time they have faced a foreign "enemy" the result has been catastrophic, eg the skirmish with Laos.Where the army has been involved in operations it is usually to murder Thai citizens.

• Like 1

and of course, this general wear yellow underwear... what a surprisewhistling.gif

Fair enough.

WHat are your views on the PTP Foreign minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul who said the new travel document for Mr Thaksin, who spends most of his time in Dubai avoiding a two year jail term for corruption, could be a "New Year's present". Especially when he stated he had no idea why he was promoted to the position as he had no experience as a foreign minister.

At least the Junta have put experienced people in the right position. Did the dictatorship? Regime? PTP?

Come on. I dare you to reply. Tell me who was less qualified in the Junta line up (which is a military dictatorship) compared to a more qualified candidate under a democratically elected government under the PTP?

Remember the Junta can put who they want in power. The PTP have to listen to the voice of the people.

Surapong? No experience in foreign affairs. Stated he had no idea what to do? The voice of the people? Remember the amnesty bill and the voice of the people?

I rest my case.

So according to you a general have the correct experience to run a country ? You have the right to your view but history have proven you wrong many a time.

Are you familiar with United States history? Some of the greatest presidents were military men.

Washington, Grant, Eisenhower, Jackson, Jefferson, Roosevelt, Truman. To name a few.

An ex- military man probably has more disciplined experience to run a country than a guy like Clinton or Obama. Only IMHO of course.

• Like 2

You don't have to be a "red-apologist" to ask how some Farangs here feel they are in a position to endorse the promotion of another General to such a position without ever having served under him and knowing him and how his man management skills are and how he treats his men.

Does the Army do all these goos things RobbyNZ pointed out, of course they do, they have also been doing that for decades so it's rather a moot point. It doesn't diminish their roles, but remember their oath as well.

I couldn't care less who was Supreme Commander, but a little research on the Eastern Tigers hows that they're probably the most powerful organisation within Thailand, they have been responsible for almost all of the coups in recent years...

As to the wealth of so many Generals, well they're all on the board of directors either receiving salaries or bonuses of major companies in Thailand, that would explain where they manage to amass billions of baht in some cases.

I couldn't care less if it was Colonel Sanders who was running the country's military, although I suspect more TVF members are more familiar with him, than they are with the new Supreme Commander.

I am a guy with a military background, so my curiosity isn't anything to do with politics, I don't care for the reds or the yellows, I'm more interested in the "clique" of powerful Generals and their backgrounds and who promoted them, as nepotism is rife as is cronyism, within the ET's and it was nepotism that got YL kicked out of office.

• Like 2

They never heard of "merit". Only seniority and whose ass you have kissed.

Well, that's the way the Army works everywhere. Supposedly, you don't attain seniority unless you are competent. I think the phrase "ass kissing" is too strong. Tact pays off. I once knew a supply sergeant who complained to me that he was not promoted even though he was the best, because his commanding officers all hated him, because he frequently told his C.O.s they were idiots. Most people like people who praise them, but most army officers can spot insincerity. And seniority doesn't count for everything. I've seen officers who were still Captains after forty years of service. In Thailand, that is. The American Army doesn't allow you to stay on active duty if you don't get promoted, but that usually means you've achieved twenty years of service by the time you're passed over for Major.

Edited by Acharn

Fair enough.

I rest my case.

Are you familiar with United States history? Some of the greatest presidents were military men.

Washington, Grant, Eisenhower, Jackson, Jefferson, Roosevelt, Truman. To name a few.

An ex- military man probably has more disciplined experience to run a country than a guy like Clinton or Obama. Only IMHO of course.

Whoo, boy! I agree that military experience could be helpful in running a country, but your examples are inaccurate. Grant was not a great president. Jefferson was a Colonel in the Virginia militia, but never served on active duty. Truman was a Captain in the artillery in World War I but then went back to Missouri to run his dry goods store. Roosevelt -- which one? FDR was an Assistant Secretary of the Navy in World War I, but was never in the military. Teddy was also an Assistant Secretary of the Navy. During the Spanish American War he became commander of the 1st American Volunteer Cavalry and was granted the rank of Colonel, but only served for one year.

Actually, I think military experience is no more helpful than experience as a CEO of a large company. Both jobs require a system of disciplined obedience. Running a country needs a person who can bring about compromises and change objectives to better fit conditions on the ground. Eisenhower was very good at it. Jackson not so much. Grant made terrible choices and died broke.

Fair enough.

I rest my case.

Name one great military leader that was able to run his country on true democratic principles in Asia during the 20th or 21st century. All the leaders you mentioned are Americans who comes from a different culture. The problem is that in Asia generals tend to disregard democracy for the sake of stability.

A country that are 100% stable with extreme conservatism inplace, tends to stagnate. A good expample of this are Vietnam (before reform), Laos, Cambodia, Burma, South Korea (before reforms) and China (before reforms). Asian generals always surround themselves with cronies and don't allow people with different views to have any power. This tends to fustrate people that oppose the military ruler, which leads to outburst of violence on their side because they are fustrated by the political dead end thats created by military rulers. In turn the military suppress the opposition to create stability, which inturn create more hatred among the opposition. A never ending cycle which can only be broken by a free and fare election and real power to the party/parties that win such an election.

We will have an election in Thailand but the problem will be that the party that win it will be hostage of a constitution that can't be changed and too much power in the hands of conservative and sometimes incompetent civil servants. The conservatives in this country created a perception that politicians are the biggest corruptors but thats not 100% true, the thruth is the whole society is corrupt. This perception however is used to destabilise democracy when the conservatives need to achieve certain objectives. As soon as this happens there is reason for a coup, to return stability.

There is no easy way for Thailand to proceed but the military strongman way is the least attractive. To build a democracy takes an effort by every citizen, it needs common goals, it needs leaders that represent the people, it needs strong institutions, it needs checks and balances, but more important it needs time.

• Like 1

Name one great military leader that was able to run his country on true democratic principles in Asia during the 20th or 21st century. All the leaders you mentioned are Americans who comes from a different culture. The problem is that in Asia generals tend to disregard democracy for the sake of stability.

A country that are 100% stable with extreme conservatism inplace, tends to stagnate. A good expample of this are Vietnam (before reform), Laos, Cambodia, Burma, South Korea (before reforms) and China (before reforms). Asian generals always surround themselves with cronies and don't allow people with different views to have any power. This tends to fustrate people that oppose the military ruler, which leads to outburst of violence on their side because they are fustrated by the political dead end thats created by military rulers. In turn the military suppress the opposition to create stability, which inturn create more hatred among the opposition. A never ending cycle which can only be broken by a free and fare election and real power to the party/parties that win such an election.

We will have an election in Thailand but the problem will be that the party that win it will be hostage of a constitution that can't be changed and too much power in the hands of conservative and sometimes incompetent civil servants. The conservatives in this country created a perception that politicians are the biggest corruptors but thats not 100% true, the thruth is the whole society is corrupt. This perception however is used to destabilise democracy when the conservatives need to achieve certain objectives. As soon as this happens there is reason for a coup, to return stability.

There is no easy way for Thailand to proceed but the military strongman way is the least attractive. To build a democracy takes an effort by every citizen, it needs common goals, it needs leaders that represent the people, it needs strong institutions, it needs checks and balances, but more important it needs time.

The not-so-funny thing is that your second paragraph applies to Thaksin's forays in ruling a country too, and so does the last paragraph.

Regarding the second paragraph, the downfall of all of Thaksin's governments was his hubris, Veera (I think) in the Bangkok Post put it very clearly once, there's always been corruption in Thailand, everyone was taking fruit from that tree, the problem with Thaksin is that he came to power, put a fence around the tree and a sign saying "Property of Shin Corp".

He has no intention of ending corruption, it is after all the why and the how of how he has so much power and money and entered politics in the first place. The will and needs of the people, the strength of state institutions and all that is secondary and subservient to his selfish goals. There's not going to be any progress in Thailand while he keeps either taking charge of things or throwing wrenches into the works.

Unfortunately he (or his PR machine at least), has swindled a lot of people into believing in him, that he is a vehicle of change for a better Thailand, and thus he is damaging the country doubly, by denying the political space for independent, progressive movements to emerge, either by absorbing and re-purposing such movements; or by stigmatizing progressive social development due to his agenda, i.e. people losing faith in Democracy when they see people like him wielding power, or the knee-jerk rejection as "populists policies" that truly help a large part of the population without ulterior motivations.

A military strongman is not the best choice, but sometimes there are no good choices.

We are in the current situation due to the breakdown of the political system precipitated by Thaksin's action, as with the previous coup, so yay from learning from history... but in addition to that this time there was a serious and real threat to the social structure of the country, and I'm not talking about rich vs. poor hierarchies, I'm talking about neighbours killing each other.

The politics of division had gone too far. When you have one side contemplating civil war and splitting a country in two it is time to chill the f### up and let someone sort things out before the bloodshed begins and years and piles of bodies later try to figure out where all went wrong.

Yes, it's not nice to be in a military dictatorship, that's why people should not wait until a coup happens to remember Democracy needs to be protected on an ongoing basis.

The time for that is when a Democracy starts to veer off course (not wait until scheduled elections to see maybe doing something about it then), as with PTP subverting and undermining it in pursuit of their own selfish agenda, and as with any government, anytime, anywhere that behaves like that.

Who is the Royal Command ???

August 25, 2014 : "Gen Udomdet, who is currently also a deputy army chief, is a close aide of Gen Prayuth and has long been expected to succeed him."

Would Royal Command actually be Gen. Prayuth or his alter ego?

He probably has more experience to run a country than the previous PM.

Colonel Sanders and Ronald MacDonald would have had more experience in running the country than Yingluck, but she's gone now, the past is there for a reason, it appears that some people cannot let go of it, and move forwards, where is all this peace and reconciliation between TVF members? or is that just reserved for those who live in LALA land and not in the real world? Notice I said Lala, an not Lanna ;)

If you keep the red areas subjected to ML, there's little reconciliation going on, more like peace and persecution , and as the good old Borg used to say "resistence is futile, you will be assimilated"

Once you start treating everyone as equals, then reconciliation can progress ;)

Generally speaking that's true, the major problem is that Thailand hasn't been at war lately, at least against a foreign enemy.

Who is the Royal Command ???

August 25, 2014 : "Gen Udomdet, who is currently also a deputy army chief, is a close aide of Gen Prayuth and has long been expected to succeed him."

Would Royal Command actually be Gen. Prayuth or his alter ego?

As you know, Royal Command came from the person in front of whom General Prayuth prostrated himself. Surely?

Fair enough.

I rest my case.

Probably fire engine red now-a-days tending brown.

Nah, those mouthing-off just like hearing their own voice and wouldn't or couldn't make a sensible suggestion of that magnitude.

Fair enough.

I rest my case.

Probably far superior to run the country than the likes of Yinluck (no experience what so ever), Chalerm who gets this inspiration from a bottle or two of booze, the fugitive camel herder and all his brown nosing acolytes who can only do as instructed - but then it's the red manifesto that must under all events be followed to the letter.

That's of course unless you have any far superior nominations from your side of the fence.

Edited by Artisi

Colonel Sanders and Ronald MacDonald would have had more experience in running the country than Yingluck, but she's gone now, the past is there for a reason, it appears that some people cannot let go of it, and move forwards, where is all this peace and reconciliation between TVF members? or is that just reserved for those who live in LALA land and not in the real world? Notice I said Lala, an not Lanna wink.png

If you keep the red areas subjected to ML, there's little reconciliation going on, more like peace and persecution , and as the good old Borg used to say "resistence is futile, you will be assimilated"

Once you start treating everyone as equals, then reconciliation can progress wink.png

Why should red areas be treated any different to the rest of the country? Martial law hasn't been rescinded anywhere yet.

• Like 1

Colonel Sanders and Ronald MacDonald would have had more experience in running the country than Yingluck, but she's gone now, the past is there for a reason, it appears that some people cannot let go of it, and move forwards, where is all this peace and reconciliation between TVF members? or is that just reserved for those who live in LALA land and not in the real world? Notice I said Lala, an not Lanna wink.png

Once you start treating everyone as equals, then reconciliation can progress wink.png

Why should red areas be treated any different to the rest of the country? Martial law hasn't been rescinded anywhere yet.

I look forward to you reiterating that statement when eventually martial law is rescinded elsewhere.

• Like 2

I look forward to you reiterating that statement when eventually martial law is rescinded elsewhere.

actually, the statement already ignores that "red areas" of the country have been and are currently already treated differently.

sure, martial law is country wide.

But 3/4 of all detainees have been red shirts, most of the remainder academics and anti-coup protesters

3400+ people arrested in the KK province during the 5 days after the coup - for all sorts of 'offenses'.

LM cases in the north like the student actors in the wolf's bride (among others)

Even harassing regular people like the fish-monger in CM for wearing a PTP t-shirt - in the south, PDRC and Shutdown BKK t-shirts are still normal fashion.

color-free reconciliation doesn't seem to be color-free

• Like 2

actually, the statement already ignores that "red areas" of the country have been and are currently already treated differently.

sure, martial law is country wide.

But 3/4 of all detainees have been red shirts, most of the remainder academics and anti-coup protesters

3400+ people arrested in the KK province during the 5 days after the coup - for all sorts of 'offenses'.

LM cases in the north like the student actors in the wolf's bride (among others)

Even harassing regular people like the fish-monger in CM for wearing a PTP t-shirt - in the south, PDRC and Shutdown BKK t-shirts are still normal fashion.

color-free reconciliation doesn't seem to be color-free

To paraphrase a quote from a "frowned upon" book: All (people) are equal, but some (people) are more equal than others...............

• Like 2

Thai soldiers fighting???? That's a rhetorical question, right? rolleyes.gif

They're all too busy pretending to be politicians.

• Like 1