Same-sex wedding for British diplomat in China

Lite Beer

Despite him preferring Paddington Bear over the writings of Beatrix Potter i think @Robertthebruce understood me. Here an illustrative story although i can't verify it's authenticity,i read it 30 or so years ago.

An artist wanted to paint a picture of the baby Jesus surrounded by the disciples. He searched for many years for suitable models to paint. He started with an angelic looking child to depict the baby Jesus and gradually over a period of 25 years he managed to find models for all of the disciples save one, Judas. He wanted someone who would give out an aura of slyness greed and evil. After many years he despaired ever to find such a model and resigned himself to the fact that his painting would remain unfinished. One day however in a tavern he found the man he was looking for and upon an agreed price the man declared himself willing to let himself be painted. After some hours the artist noticed that the man was silently weeping, ''What is wrong'',he asked bewildered. ''It is just that i know this painting,my mother visited your studio many times when i was a boy to show it to me, to show me how you had painted me as the baby Jesus''.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite him preferring Paddington Bear over the writings of Beatrix Potter i think @Robertthebruce understood me. Here an illustrative story although i can't verify it's authenticity,i read it 30 or so years ago.

An artist wanted to paint a picture of the baby Jesus surrounded by the disciples. He searched for many years for suitable models to paint. He started with an angelic looking child to depict the baby Jesus and gradually over a period of 25 years he managed to find models for all of the disciples save one, Judas. He wanted someone who would give out an aura of slyness greed and evil. After many years he despaired ever to find such a model and resigned himself to the fact that his painting would remain unfinished. One day however in a tavern he found the man he was looking for and upon an agreed price the man declared himself willing to let himself be painted. After some hours the artist noticed that the man was silently weeping, ''What is wrong'',he asked bewildered. ''It is just that i know this painting,my mother visited your studio many times when i was a boy to show it to me, to show me how you had painted me as the baby Jesus''.

Lost me on this one ??? Maybe need a few Sherbets then it might sink in..

• Like 1

It is about what life can do to one, born with a child like innocence,fresh and clean only to end 30 years later as a depraved subject drinking in a tavern with an aura of greed and evil.

It is about what life can do to one, born with a child like innocence,fresh and clean only to end 30 years later as a depraved subject drinking in a tavern with an aura of greed and evil.

And ????

And ????

don't be obtuse.

Doesn't seem right to me for Embassy staff to be married. Doesn't feel right to see Ladyboys been advertised on this page as well.

Marriage is a union between man and woman.

Just saying.

Not anymore old timer.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Doesn't seem right to me for Embassy staff to be married. Doesn't feel right to see Ladyboys been advertised on this page as well.

Just saying.

To any reasonable person, men marrying other men is disgusting, not to mention unnatural and unhealthy. For some reason, there tends to be a lot of gender confusion in Thailand, so homosexuals from other countries flock here. You are right, marriage is a union between man and woman. To allow men to marry other men or women to marry other women, makes a mockery out of marriage. I think the Chinese should have sent their concerns to the UK, and requested the two fruit cakes that married each other be sent elsewhere. Just saying :-)

• Like 2

Thailand also seems to attract many small minded bigots.

Rubbish. You are very sensitive deary.

It is unnatural to have anal sex and just because you think its ok doesn't make those who don't bigots.

Gays should have sone rights if they have a long term marriage but letting them adopt kids etc is wrong.

some places are worse than Thailand for sexual confusion,in India a girl just married a street dog,we can only hope for the dogs sake that the marriage isn't consummated.

Correct, it is sexual confusion. Same as two adult men getting married.

Anyone thinking otherwise would have been sent to a psychiatric hospital as little as 20 odd years ago.

Its a sad world when perverted sex is accepted.

Edited by Johnniey

some places are worse than Thailand for sexual confusion,in India a girl just married a street dog,we can only hope for the dogs sake that the marriage isn't consummated.

Correct, it is sexual confusion. Same as two adult men getting married.

Anyone thinking otherwise would have been sent to a psychiatric hospital as little as 20 odd years ago.

Its a sad world when perverted sex is accepted.

I can't agree with you on that, my favourite relation is my first cousin who is so gay he doesn't walk,he floats. He has an IQ of around 160 is a very caring nice person and has been in a steady relationship with his male partner for 30 years. He didn't chose his sexuality,it just is. I used the term sexual confusion with tongue in cheek. I wouldn't class his relationship as perverted except in regard to the natural law of things,even he thinks that marriage between homosexuals is ridiculous.

• Like 1

he has a right to his opinions as do you to yours,let us not get get to precious about this
Bigotry isn't opinion. It is irrational ignorance and hatred.

Rubbish. You are very sensitive deary.

It is unnatural to have anal sex and just because you think its ok doesn't make those who don't bigots.

Gays should have sone rights if they have a long term marriage but letting them adopt kids etc is wrong.

Deary? Why do you address me as if I am a girl? Homophobic bigots are also often misogynists. What kind of moron thinks gay people are fully identified as human beings in terms of butt sex? It's the bigots that have the mental illness around gay rights issues.

• Like 1

he has a right to his opinions as do you to yours,let us not get get to precious about this

Jing Thing, you are a bigot when it comes to anything to do with Homosexuals or Jews, which is quite ironic as The Jewish religion doesn't allow same sex marriage, or does it?

Full Definition of BIGOT
: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices
  • Like 2

so be it,he is entitled to that as well, if you call him a bigot for the set of values that he embraces then he is entitled to call you a pervert for yours which is why i said let us not get to precious about where we all stand in our different camps.

Both sides are not morally equivalent.

When Martin Luther King fought against brutal racism against black people in the USA which was done by BIGOTS and HATERS, was MLK a bigot for opposing those evil forces of human oppression?
Of course he wasn't.

He was a hero.

Gay civil rights activists the world over are heroic in similar ways to MLK.

The haters posting their anti-gay FILTH are similar in spirit to the white rednecks who lynched black people in U.S. south.

It was their "opinion" that this was the right thing to do.

Not equal moral "opinions" -- the right side and the wrong side.

You know, it is still socially acceptable to post hate speech on a forum like this against gays.

But you can't post such speech against black people.

You can't post such speech against women.

Are black people and women more deserving of dignified treatment than gay people?

Of course not.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

... as The Jewish religion doesn't allow same sex marriage, or does it?

Since you asked.

In the Jewish state of Israel, it is not possible to have a gay wedding.

But there is trend of increased recognition for gay marriages done outside Israel.

Gay marriage is about CIVIL rights.

The embassy in question was not a church.

Depending on the country marriages can often be done without any religious involvement ... like at city hall.

It is up to different religious sects to cooperate with doing marriages or not.

This thread isn't about that aspect.

It is about CIVIL marriages rights, not about specific religions.

Judaism doesn't have a pope so no one rule on gay marriage.

Many Jews are not at all religious.

Many many rabbis outside of Israel do indeed perform Jewish gay marriages depending on where these can be fully legal marriages under the law.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Just saying.

To any reasonable person, men marrying other men is disgusting, not to mention unnatural and unhealthy. For some reason, there tends to be a lot of gender confusion in Thailand, so homosexuals from other countries flock here. You are right, marriage is a union between man and woman. To allow men to marry other men or women to marry other women, makes a mockery out of marriage. I think the Chinese should have sent their concerns to the UK, and requested the two fruit cakes that married each other be sent elsewhere. Just saying :-)

Marriage is purely a construct dreamed up by the Church and the Law. Without religion it would be meaningless, and to be honest anyone one with a modicum of intelligence realises that to base one's behaviour on sky fairies is a bit silly.

There have always been men and women who are attracted to the same gender. You do not see through the human condition and stick to your outdated views.

Personally I would find sleeping with a woman unnatural and unhealthy , never have and never will.

And as for the comment that homosexuals flock to Thailand- oh dear- think we are outnumbered by 99-1 by the hoards of tattooed sexpats !

• Like 1

A person who tarts up his carnal desires as a "civil right" is also a bigot. For what greater hate is there than to debase that concept which protects us all from tyranny? It is a hate directed at the very basis of civilization.

At Valley Forge, where it might be argued he had better things to do, Washington took time out to prosecute one of his men for "buggery." Why: to undermine the very freedoms for which he and his soldier were freezing to death defending?

Quite the contrary, Washington understood that there is no point to fight for freedom if you do not defend civil society.

The great enlightenment figures, including the American Founding Fathers, didnt argue for homosexuality as a civil right. The documents of the great American and French revolutions dont argue for it. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 didnt grant the status of civil right to homophiles, any more than it did to necrophiles, zoophiles, pedophiles or ephobophiles. And why is that?

Homosexuality is not a right, It is a behavior, a behavior which the vast bulk of social science research shows to correlate to one of the least happy existences imaginable. I'm gay; my heart goes out to the many homosexuals who clearly are not. They certainly deserve a measure of compassion. Love the sinner as we hate the sin.

But to grant civil rights status to a behavior with such personally disasterous consequences would be an indefensible encouragement to vulnerable youth to follow this saddest of all of life's paths.

That's not hate. Its love.

• Like 1

Both sides are not morally equivalent.

There are the haters -- they are evil and on the wrong side of history.

Then there side favoring EQUAL CIVIL RIGHTS -- they are on the right side of history.

When Martin Luther King fought against brutal racism against black people in the USA which was done by BIGOTS and HATERS, was MLK a bigot for opposing those evil forces of human oppression?

Of course he wasn't.

He was a hero.

Gay civil rights activists the world over are heroic in similar ways to MLK.

The haters posting their anti-gay FILTH are similar in spirit to the white rednecks who lynched black people in U.S. south.

It was their "opinion" that this was the right thing to do.

Not equal moral "opinions" -- the right side and the wrong side.

You know, it is still socially acceptable to post hate speech on a forum like this against gays.

But you can't post such speech against black people.

You can't post such speech against women.

Are black people and women more deserving of dignified treatment than gay people?

Of course not.

I will concede the equal civil rights part. I wasn't writing about the right to commit murder or the right to deny gays their civil rights. I was writing about the right of opinion,whether they are well informed opinions or not. An example comes to mind about racism,its almost like the Spanish inquisition these days, omg he's a racist ( you can tell by the way he walks you know ) and yet a recent study in America has found that racism is ingrained in the human psyche even toddlers show racial preference,black and white. It was probably useful during

the times when we lived in tribes,who belongs where and to whom. Now all of a sudden nobody is a racist ( except me, i don't like paki's or indians,and no i haven't met the whole nation ) nobody is a racist until their daughter or son wants to marry someone outside their own race,nobody is homophobic but they would rather not have a gay as a neigbour or sit next to one at work. I hate hypocrites. I can respect someone if they are open and honest, yeah i'm a racist, or yeah i dislike gays, yeah i'm a communist, yeah i hate muslims, but no, its all softly softly,don't dare express an opinion,go with the flow......BS.

Nice try.

Mrs. King was -- and remains -- a hero in the LGBT community. And with good reason. For more than twenty years before her death in 2006, she fought tirelessly for gay rights and linked the civil rights movement with the LGBT rights movement, believing all the while that her work was a faithful expression of the inclusive dream shared by her husband.

From the earliest days of her advocacy, Coretta Scott King remained firmly convinced that her husband would have supported her campaign for LGBT rights. She frequently cited his claim that "justice is indivisible," and often stated that she took inspiration from his inclusive dream and the awful ways it remained unfulfilled.

At last, Coretta Scott King believed that by fighting for gay rights, she was simply helping to build "the beloved community of Martin Luther King, Jr., where all people can live together in a spirit of trust and understanding, harmony, love and peace."

She was right about that, and I was glad to see her daughter Bernice, known for her opposition to gay marriage, finally showing public signs of support for it. Let's hope she follows the example of her mother's bravery and dreams anew -- with love, justice and peace for all -- as she celebrates the 50th anniversary of the March.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-g-long/coretta-scott-king_b_2592049.html

Edited by Jingthing

Nice try.

Mrs. King was -- and remains -- a hero in the LGBT community. And with good reason. For more than twenty years before her death in 2006, she fought tirelessly for gay rights and linked the civil rights movement with the LGBT rights movement, believing all the while that her work was a faithful expression of the inclusive dream shared by her husband.

From the earliest days of her advocacy, Coretta Scott King remained firmly convinced that her husband would have supported her campaign for LGBT rights. She frequently cited his claim that "justice is indivisible," and often stated that she took inspiration from his inclusive dream and the awful ways it remained unfulfilled.

At last, Coretta Scott King believed that by fighting for gay rights, she was simply helping to build "the beloved community of Martin Luther King, Jr., where all people can live together in a spirit of trust and understanding, harmony, love and peace."

She was right about that, and I was glad to see her daughter Bernice, known for her opposition to gay marriage, finally showing public signs of support for it. Let's hope she follows the example of her mother's bravery and dreams anew -- with love, justice and peace for all -- as she celebrates the 50th anniversary of the March.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-g-long/coretta-scott-king_b_2592049.html

i thought that being Jewish and gay was bad luck,your condition hasn't been compounded by being black as well has it ? As far as bad luck is concerned that would be classed as downright greedy.

i thought that being Jewish and gay was bad luck,your condition hasn't been compounded by being black as well has it ? As far as bad luck is concerned that would be classed as downright greedy.

The curse of Harvey Milk, innit?coffee1.gifpost-37101-0-51473300-1410518295_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing