Foreign tourists robbed in Bangkok by tuk-tuk driver and motorcyclist duo

webfact

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

However, police records show that the pair was previously arrested on narcotics charges, Pol.Col. Ruechakorn said.

I though all taxi drivers had to register and have thorough background checks done to combat this sort of thing?

Keep dreaming!

My neighbor had the same thing happen to her outside our condo, she was so shaken, she didn't leave her condo for 3 days!

Sad they are doing it to each other not only foreigners! Where's Buddha when u need Her-Him?

Answer: When he's not flying around outside, fighting crime with his cape on, he's keeping your neighbor company. Guess why she didn't leave her condo for three days.

Just two month ago some guys tried (failed) get my wife´s bag, so let me be the first to say: Hang them high!! (as an example for all the others)

Its a shame when the victim of a crime must have a hand in getting the criminals apprehended. Thank goodness the Chinese couple are not having to repair the criminals motorbike.

• Like 1

This used to be a common snatch and grab tactic by thieves in Vietnam in the 60's. Some guys would take some barb wire, roll it up, tie a length of para cord on one end of the wire, stick it in a bag, tie the para cord to the tuk-tuk, set the bag on the seat and watch the fun. biggrin.png

I heard of some guys using a hand grenade instead of barb wire, tying the para cord to the pin. Early 4th of July. whistling.gif

Why don't they just ban these bl...y TucTucs. After all, they are no use, always aggressive, all drivers touts. In Bangkok mostly found in tourist-areas, wich means they are there to cheat and to ripp-off. In some provinces TucTucs are a "normal" means of transport, but even upcountry it's difficult to find a decent driver - ripp-off samey to Bangkok. Better try to call the local taxi-cooperative, they'll send you a brandnew airconditioned Corolla and driver hopefully use the meter.

Just two month ago some guys tried (failed) get my wife´s bag, so let me be the first to say: Hang them high!! (as an example for all the others)

So because they tried to snatches your wife's bag, they should start to execute people???

What kind of guy are you????

Errr no, don't take this too literally, it means: get them and don't let thainess come out. Dont let them get away with the usual slap on the wrist. Now that there are new bosses everywhere, why not impress them with a nice crackdown on all the criminals that rob and steal from tourists and foreigners as they please?!

In the post where i mentioned the death penalty, i wanted to say that i know that hard punishments don't stop criminals, but specially against foreigners, noone seems to fear any consequence. Now that they want to lure more tourists, make some fine examples of good police work and give them a reason to feel safe.

Edited by I knew this would happen

Ahhhhhhh, that's so sweet......they wanted to provide for their kids.

Bet you they haven't got any kids.

Anyway, it's the farangs fault for producing so many gangster movies that have an adverse effect on these innocent Thais.

"...gangster movies that have an adverse effect on these innocent Thais."

Is this some kind of sick Greek joke?

Be on your guard, the Bangkokians are becoming Pattayians. tourism has dropped by millions, and you wonder why. I have been coming here for years, spend alot of money. In the next 3-4 weeks I will either move to another country, or spend nearly nothing to help the economy. that means not eating out, taking taxis, tipping, cleaning up the beaches in Phuket, donating to charities.....etc.... any thoughts while The Generals are in charge.......

Its the foriegners fault, floughting their wealth, (sarcasm)

I love reading these posts, we should set up a kingdom for Thaivisa posters, no one would be alive after a few weeks as they would all be hung high.......

Happened to my kid coming home from a friends, four guys on motorbikes grabbed his backpack he wouldn't let go so they kicked the shit out of him, and took the bag. The police refused to make a report or even check the CCTV. Not surprising as it was the Bukalow police and they are not reknowned for protecting or serving their community.

The Thai pack mentality again cant even rob someone without getting backup and cant even rob someone when they try, the little petite Chinese woman was awfully strong will have to choose a complete drunk the next time who cant fight back, lucky the cop in the picture was relaxing at a nearby karaoke bar

Is it only Thailand, or do other countries have the policy where the police accompany the perpetrators to the crime scene and re-enact their crimes? It seems it would be a waste of time to the authorities and costly as well to allow the criminal to re-visit the scene of the alleged crime and be allowed to show off in some ways since it is a fact that some criminals love to bathe in supposed glory. And there exists the chance that they might escape during the exhibition, as they never seem to be shackled. It just seems a bit on the side of ridiculous to me. If they were apprehended in one end of the country they get to take a trip on the house to where they did it?

I was just thinking of what they might expect to get in the way of punishment? Perhaps after they serve their 20 year sentences, (past bad behavior to be considered) they should be required to do weekly visa runs for the rest of their lives to be able to remain in Thailand. Of course I guess they couldn't kick them out since no other country should be expected to take them. Also, I doubt the innocent Chinese lady in the tuk-tuk is enjoying this show. Sort of re-opening the wound on an innocent. Will she discuss this once she gets home? Yep. And TAT is welcoming Chinese with open arms but incidents of this kind make it difficult for them.

"Although Thailand is generally regarded as safe place for foreign travelers, there have been a string of crimes against tourists in recent weeks."

Recent? Don't think so, crimes have been going on against tourists for years.

I can tell you that the Bangkok taxi drivers have had a reputation as being dangerous and risky for many years.

I remember over 30 years ago that these sorts of crimes committed on tourists and foreign business passengers by Bangkok taxi drivers were common even back in those days. Many passengers have been seriously assaulted, robbed, raped and and even murdered. I can remember that a Japanese business man was robbed and murdered by a Bangkok taxi driver in 1989, if my memory serves me well. And 15 years ago an English guy was robbed and left for dead in a remote area somewhere. Luckily he survived and the taxi driver apprehended. I was warned about Bangkok taxi drivers even when I first set foot in Thailand back in 1982.

The favourite ploy is to drive their unsuspected passengers, especially those fresh off a plane and have no idea of the areas in Bangkok, to a remote area where the driver turns off into a soi somewhere and is met by his accomplishes in waiting. There the passenger/s are at the mercy of these thugs, many do not survive to tell the tale and these cases are more common than as to what is reported. The taxi driver details in the OP is an absolutely amateur in comparison, as the majority hardly ever get caught or the events are kept quite or covered up.

I will always be reluctant to travel on a Bangkok taxi alone or just with a female partner, even travelling in a taxi meter is no assurance of safety for passengers.

• Like 1

Thainess at its best .

Really, so you think this is a problem unique to Thailand?

Having worked in Spain for many years I know that some of the Spanish taxi services have an equally bad reputation and that the same applies to many other countries, even in the States, especially in Miami where at one time tourists were getting mugged and murdered wholesale, some even within minutes after stepping off their plane. Not everywhere has the good reputations of the New York yellow cabs and the black cabs of London, although these days I would never want to travel on a London bus or London underground train during the late hours, far too dangerous.

I suggest you do some research first before you start Thai bashing.

• Like 1