We need jobs, 200 beach operators tell Phuket governor

Lite Beer

Whining cheating scammers , get all you deserve. You dont own the beach and sidewalks.

Agreed 100% and wish there was a way to post it so they know how the average Farang tourist feels about them. Someone should be emailing the boss this forum every hour.

I think the average tourist was very happy. 200 Baht for 2 sunbeds with umbrella, and most of the time happy and smiling service.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NKM and your sparring partners, you guys need to start your own thread about real estate. This thread is about "lost" jobs that weren't legal to begin with and makes following the topic, let alone staying on topic, a lost cause...............carry on.

I already started a thread about job losses in Phuket more than a month ago. However it was locked because you and other members dragged it off topic. Perhaps you should impose your nettiquette upon yourself.

• Like 1

@ thailiketoo

You do realise this is the Phuket Forum, not the Bangkok Forum, don't you?

I don't know about Bangkok, but there is massive oversupply on Phuket, and they keep building more and more.

A quote of a market review instead of flawed anecdotal evidence would be good. Your opinion is worthless unless backed up by financial data of some kind and suspect at best. If the Phuket market was falling all the big money would go to Bangkok. Construction does not occur because there are no buyers.

I see all the "for sale" signs on properties here that have been on the market for a long time.

I speak to expats, who have their property on the market, and they tell me they are not getting any viewings, let alone, offers.

I peruse the property websites pertaining to Phuket, purely out of interest, not because I am in the market. It's obvious property is not turning over here. I've seen the same properties on the market, with continual drops in listing price, for months, going into years now.

There are new developments being advertised in the media, whilst no one can sell what's already on the market.

You talk about "financial data" - what use is financial data from Bangkok, when we are discussing Phuket????

There has been, and continues to be, a massive oversupply of property on Phuket.

Do you live on Phuket? What do you know of the property market on Phuket?

So you are posting your impressions of the market. Why? Are you a seller or buyer? What do you get out of it?

I'm a renter. Always will be. I have no conflict of interests when it comes to property in Thailand.

Why would I buy something I can never own? biggrin.png

What about yourself? You seem to be "talking up" real estate - why?

Edited by NamKangMan

NKM and your sparring partners, you guys need to start your own thread about real estate. This thread is about "lost" jobs that weren't legal to begin with and makes following the topic, let alone staying on topic, a lost cause...............carry on.

Most threads tend to digress, but to get back on topic, how do you think, SP, the job losses from the beach encroachment clean-up, and from the zero baht tourists coming to Phuket, effect the local economy?

I feel sorry for them , they really need a job. They should be allowed to sell overpriced products , so many wealthy tourists in Phuket.

The writing is already on the wall. Patong will be convertered into a giant shopping mall for bus tourists. It has already begun. The Keesin's already commenced knocking down bars to build a shopping mall in the heart of Bangla. That is until they were put on the most wanted list. That reminds me...haven't seen any media reports whatsoever regarding the father or son. I assume they are still at large and not yet apprehended. Last night a bar girl told me she saw the son at Hooters eating chicken wings with Elvis...

I have just helped my old girlfriend move into a new place. The muslim owner of that house has a great deal of properties. They are all very well kept, clean and in a good location. The rent is excellent. For example, the new place is just 3500 per week with free water and government electricity. It has undercover parking out front, has a seperate bathroom, two bedrooms, lounge room and kitchen, overhead fans, and a garden area out back. It became vacant because the previous tenant lost their job and had to move back to the village. The land lady told me the other day that she now has 12 vacant properties for rent. The most she has can ever remember having empty.

back to the farm or factory ?

So, either way, they leave Phuket, which has a negative effect on the local economy.

Oh well, less traffic.

Oh well, more crime.

According to who? Conjecture or the non published reports about crime, accidents and drownings in Phuket? No crime has been reported in my neighborhood for many years now and I haven't heard any neighbors talking about any break ins or robberies either…

According to who? Conjecture or the non published reports about crime, accidents and drownings in Phuket? No crime has been reported in my neighborhood for many years now and I haven't heard any neighbors talking about any break ins or robberies either

That is because all of your neighbours are presidents and own 20 million baht worth of plastic chairs.

I feel sorry for them , they really need a job. They should be allowed to sell overpriced products , so many wealthy tourists in Phuket.

The writing is already on the wall. Patong will be convertered into a giant shopping mall for bus tourists. It has already begun. The Keesin's already commenced knocking down bars to build a shopping mall in the heart of Bangla. That is until they were put on the most wanted list. That reminds me...haven't seen any media reports whatsoever regarding the father or son. I assume they are still at large and not yet apprehended. Last night a bar girl told me she saw the son at Hooters eating chicken wings with Elvis...

I knew he was alive. Pass the hot sauce.

@ Jimi007

It's well known that during an economic downturn / recession / depression - crime increases.

LOL! As I said, not in my part of Phuket, so pure conjecture on your part as there are no statistics available to back up what you are saying…

@ Jimi007

It's well known that during an economic downturn / recession / depression - crime increases.

LOL! As I said, not in my part of Phuket, so pure conjecture on your part as there are no statistics available to back up what you are saying…

I'm talking global - not just Phuket.

If you do live in a good area of Phuket, that's going to make you more of a target. More value for money for the crime committed.

Here's a couple of random links from the front page of Google.

In these articles, the rise in crime was attributed to the GFC.

Like I said, in my opinion, Phuket is/will experience a harsh economic downturn. I expect crime to rise here, quite sharply, in the future.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/01/27/us-usa-economy-crime-idUSTRE50Q6FR20090127

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/apr/23/british-crime-survey-figures-robbery

Edited by NamKangMan

@ Jimi007

If you do live in a good area of Phuket, that's going to make you more of a target. More value for money for the crime committed.

Off topic again, but If you live like some high so with a Fortuna and a Benz with a huge house then go around acting like a rich ass, you are more likely to be targeted here or anywhere…

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1

@ Jimi007

Off topic again, but If you live like some high so with a Fortuna and a Benz with a huge house then go around acting like a rich ass, you are more likely to be targeted here or anywhere…

I was editting while you were posting.

See above post to read some "pure conjecture." smile.png

There are many articles on the increase in crime during harsh economic times.

It's hardly off topic. Job losses can be an indicator of harsh economic conditions, or directly effect a local economy.

In many cases, for example, when a factory or a mine shuts down, whole towns/cities go broke, and eventually become crime ridden, welfare slums. Just look at Detroit in The States.

Edited by NamKangMan

Let's look at the figures on the island. Supposedly a total of 1000 jobs were lost out of a total working force of how many tens of thousands on the island? How many jobs in the hospitality industry are now taken by non Thais due to the locals not wanting to actually work? If the locals that supposedly lost their job applied for these positions, why wouldn't a local hotel or hospitality company hire them over Burmese if they had the same work ethic? All hospitality places are due to begin hiring for the next high season and if these local lazy beach sellers wanted to work as hard as the Burmese, they could easily get the job, sending the Burmese back to Burma. Problem lies in these lazy beach vendors don't want to work, but want to use illegal ground that they don't pay rent nor taxes on to make their living.

• Like 1

It's hardly off topic. Job losses can be an indicator of harsh economic conditions, or directly effect a local economy.

In many cases, for example, when a factory or a mine shuts down, whole towns/cities go broke, and eventually become crime ridden, welfare slums. Just look at Detroit in The States.

Really? Now you're comparing the job losses and economic downturn in Detroit and other parts of the US to a few hundred beach vendors that lost their illegal businesses that were on public land Sorry, not buying' it.

• Like 1

Let's look at the figures on the island. Supposedly a total of 1000 jobs were lost out of a total working force of how many tens of thousands on the island? How many jobs in the hospitality industry are now taken by non Thais due to the locals not wanting to actually work? If the locals that supposedly lost their job applied for these positions, why wouldn't a local hotel or hospitality company hire them over Burmese if they had the same work ethic? All hospitality places are due to begin hiring for the next high season and if these local lazy beach sellers wanted to work as hard as the Burmese, they could easily get the job, sending the Burmese back to Burma. Problem lies in these lazy beach vendors don't want to work, but want to use illegal ground that they don't pay rent nor taxes on to make their living.

As always you post your ill informed opinions as if they are fact.

The reality is that even if all of these business folk that have been pushed out of their livelihoods find employment, they will be back on to the 300 THB per day wage. Less if they are forced to complete with the Burmese for jobs. Most of these people will not be able to survive on the 300 THB per day and so Iceman's concerns regarding a spike in crime still hold true. As I have posted elsewhere, I am also expecting a spike in drug related offences as bored and depressed people turn to ya ice.

• Like 1

Really? Now you're comparing the job losses and economic downturn in Detroit and other parts of the US to a few hundred beach vendors that lost their illegal businesses that were on public land Sorry, not buying' it.

No, Detroit was an example.

There will be a lot more job losses on Phuket, other than the beach encroachment clean-up.

Anyway, I'm happy for you to tell me how healthy the local Phuket economy is, and will be, into the future, because I'm "not buying it" that all is, and will be, well here. biggrin.png

"If the locals that supposedly lost their job applied for these positions, why wouldn't a local hotel or hospitality company hire them over Burmese" - because the Burmese work harder, and for cheaper.

There will be a lot more job losses on Phuket, other than the beach encroachment clean-up.

Anyway, I'm happy for you to tell me how healthy the local Phuket economy is, and will be, into the future, because I'm "not buying it" that all is, and will be, well here. biggrin.png

Actually I've been quite surprised how well Phuket has been holding up during this global recession. I don't claim to have a crystal ball, I can't see into the future as some posters seem to be able to do. Prices for land aren't decreasing here in Phuket, there was way too much speculation and greed here for all the years I've lived here with little or no investment in infrastructure along with shoddy construction standards. I'm glad that I don't really have any stake here and can move anytime. I don't even stay at my house here that much anymore, we're in California more these days. The economy is booming in Silicon Valley. If things get worse here I'll move. We have land in Sa Kaew, where we plan to build a place but I may also look for another beach house somewhere else in Thailand. But for now, my neighbors are all the same, there is an airport not too far away and my rent hasn't gone up in going on 9 years, plus I like low season here!

The reality is that even if all of these business folk that have been pushed out of their livelihoods find employment, they will be back on to the 300 THB per day wage. Less if they are forced to complete with the Burmese for jobs. Most of these people will not be able to survive on the 300 THB per day and so Iceman's concerns regarding a spike in crime still hold true. As I have posted elsewhere, I am also expecting a spike in drug related offences as bored and depressed people turn to ya ice.

" As always you post your ill informed opinions as if they are fact". Pot, Kettle, Black. BD whistling.gif

Actually I've been quite surprised how well Phuket has been holding up during this global recession. I don't claim to have a crystal ball, I can't see into the future as some posters seem to be able to do. Prices for land aren't decreasing here in Phuket, there was way too much speculation and greed here for all the years I've lived here with little or no investment in infrastructure along with shoddy construction standards. I'm glad that I don't really have any stake here and can move anytime. I don't even stay at my house here that much anymore, we're in California more these days. The economy is booming in Silicon Valley. If things get worse here I'll move. We have land in Sa Kaew, where we plan to build a place but I may also look for another beach house somewhere else in Thailand. But for now, my neighbors are all the same, there is an airport not too far away and my rent hasn't gone up in going on 9 years, plus I like low season here!

In relation to harsh economic times resulting in an increase of crime, I was talking global.

I was then relating that to harsh economic times in the local Phuket economy, also resulting in an increase in crime on the island.

"Actually I've been quite surprised how well Phuket has been holding up during this global recession." - sure, but I am predicting a downturn in the local Phuket economy. Call it a Phuket recession, if you like.

Crime aside, how well do you think it will hold up, and why?

Like yourself, I have no business, property or emotional ties here, so I can leave tomorrow as well, no problem.

Edited by NamKangMan

"If the locals that supposedly lost their job applied for these positions, why wouldn't a local hotel or hospitality company hire them over Burmese" - because the Burmese work harder, and for cheaper.

I'm glad we agree on something and that is these displaced beach vendors for the most part are too lazy to want a real job, much less having to perform at a real job. Speaking of displaced beach vendors and Burmese, most of the people actually doing the work on the beach where I go are all Burmese, while their Thai bosses sit in the shade and bark out orders.

What part of my post is an opinion and not fact, Mr BTB, the king of ill informed opinions? The part about the number of jobs supposedly lost, the part about locals being lazy not wanting to apply for a job, or maybe the part about hotels would hire, locals over Burmese? Well, as NKM says and I admit, all hospitality venues prefer Burmese, not because of the cost, but because of the actual work output. NEXT.

I'm glad we agree on something and that is these displaced beach vendors for the most part are too lazy to want a real job, much less having to perform at a real job. Speaking of displaced beach vendors and Burmese, most of the people actually doing the work on the beach where I go are all Burmese, while their Thai bosses sit in the shade and bark out orders.

I suppose that meant the Burmese went and found work on a construction site, and left the Thai's to complain about how/why all the easy money has finished.