credit card for farang

in order to make on line purchases, I am told that a credit card is required. I have accounts at SCB and Kasikorn banks but their debit cards will not allow on line purchasing.

Can a farang apply for a credit card or if that is not feasible is there another way to purchase on line?

Regards

Of you are working with a WP , then defiantly possible depending in your income amount.

If not working, but married and wife works... Then another option is having your wife apply and then request a supplemental card for you

If neither of the above ... Then most likely only option may be to get a secured credit cars...

You have to show your monthly income/bank book/long visa to apply. SCB has a decent card. Bangkok Bank is more like a secured credit card. They want 100,000 first.

Bangkok Bank's Be1st Debit Card suffices for most online purchases, but there are some places that want a credit card.

As stated above their CC is more like a secured card, but it does the trick and you can pay 10% of the bill if you wish, though hefty interest is added of course, just like any western country. They will give you a card and match whatever you're prepared to leave frozen in a FD account, 1,2, 300,000 baht, up2you.

• Like 1

Kbank have a virtual debit card for this purpose. You can apply for it through internet banking and it appears immediately, linked to your savings account. OK for actual online purchases, but not for airline tickets and hotel reservations (altough prepayments might work)..

have you tried looking into Kasikorn K-Web Shopping card, it's a virtual credit card - all you get is the numbers etc..

Works for everything online, but you can't use it where you need to present the card ie: at Airline check-in (although Air Asia don't seem to ask)

The money comes straight out of your bank account, so its like a debit card.

You can get credit cards, I managed to get one easy enough after 1 years work permit and salary slips etc..

I usually use my Bangkok Bank debit card online, no problems and security backed up by Visa.

With a work permit, you can also get an AEON card. I got the gold card no problem, interest rates comparable to credit cards in the UK.

I have two unsecured credit cards in Thailand. Both are with Krung Sri. I have a First Chiice Card. I applied for this first, as the bank said it was easier to get for most people. They said they didn't have experience with faring applicants, ant they could only help me with the application at the bank (ensuring all the documents were in order, signed, etc.). From there, the application is sent to the credit department for evaluation. It has nothing to do with the branch in my experience despite many threads that state otherwise. The girl at the bank and even the bank manager don't make decisions about extending credit, unsecured or otherwise. They just forward paperwork. At the same time, I applied for a Platinum Visa Card which had sone additional benefits (airport lounges, etc.). They were right.

My First Choice Card arrived about a week later. That was plenty for me. I didn't expect a full-blownPlatinum Card. Nonetheless, it came in a nice package about 5-6 weeks after my application. So, it certainly is possible! I don't have an extremely large salary as a teacher, but I have been with the same job for several years. Despite haing a savings account with Krungsri, they weren't interested in any details about it. They wanted statements for the previous 6 months from the bank my salary is deposited into. They Lao wanted my most recent salary slip. It was as easy as that!

No, all of my bills are automatically charged to the card (except rent and car payment) and I collect points for miles instead of paying 7-11 for the privilege of Counter Service, using the ATM or anything els. Just one bill for everything with 45 days interest free grace. Againg, it is possible and was quite easy in my case!

So if u already have a Kasikorn Debit card the only thing u need to do before u can us your debit card online are just go to an Kasikorn ATM and open the card for online payments, it will take u less then 45 sec. No need for Creditcards. 2.nd option are to apply for an virtual card at Kasikorn internet banking (K-Web Shopping Card Account(s))

No hokus pokus:-)

• Like 2

It's kind of a silly system in a way because if you have a work permit and get a bunch of credit cards, then quit, you're home free. I suppose the system will so them some good. It just seems ineffective in many ways.

-------------------------

You just gave the real reason many Thai banks are reluctant to give a "credit card" (not an ATM/debit card) that you can use on-line to foreigners.

If you run up a heavy bill on-line and then run off for your home country it will be difficult for a Thai bank to recover any of that debt.

I may be wrong but I believe that Citi Bank may give you a real credit card that you can use on-line. Or if you have a Citi Bank U.S. account, they allow you to use your Citi Bank card on-line in Thailand.

Kicker is that to open an account with Citi Bank in Thailand you must have a 100,000 Baht minimum to open that account and get your card. They also will request a copy of your Lease for where you reside and you must have either a work permit Non B visa or a valid Non O visa/retirement extension.

Which, although they will never tell you this directly, they will quickly take if you overspend on your card until you settle the balance. The money I mean.

I have three unsecured Thai credit cards but only American Express offer (or did when I got mine) an unsecured card to those who do not have a work permit.

I know American Express offers a number of benefits but I was never able to get past the idea of paying for a credit card. My cards are all auto debit as A E requires but still...

I have a Bangkok Bank Credit Card, 100,000 Baht, Limit I had to have 200,000 in a fixed deposit account.

Can be used anywhere, airline tickets etc, choice of taking the payment straight out of my savings account, which I did, or can make monthly payments as per normal.

I reckon it's a great system, you can never over spend as any transaction comes straight out of your savings account, they can't lose cos as soon as you withdraw your fixed account money that covers the Credit Card, the Card is automatically cancelled.

• 6 months later...

I use kasikorn debit. Got a virtual number, plus registered my physical cards number and can use either online. Latter could checkin on a flight that needed to see the card.

Online purchases dont tempt me for a credit card but offline do. Back home major stores offer interest free credit on certain larger items. Here the store doesnt but credit card partners do.

But locking the money away in a secured credit card defeats that purpose!

It's kind of a silly system in a way because if you have a work permit and get a bunch of credit cards, then quit, you're home free. I suppose the system will so them some good. It just seems ineffective in many ways.

Not at all, one of criteria for getting un-secured CC's revolves around what a bank wants as regards someone establishing residency in country, for a lot of banks in Thailand the Work permit is the document used to establish that residency in Thailand, it got nothing to do with how much money you have with a specific bank or how long you have been in country

for example, I hold a couple of unsecured CC in Thailand through SCB and the account I hold with them is literally a petty cash account, but had a credit card off them within a few weeks of starting work in Thailand and of course had to show them a WP

my main bank accounts are in Singapore and even though there is a fair chunk of change in the bank there, I could only get a secured credit card through them, simply because I am not a Singapore resident or work pass holder, as the bank said to me themselves, come and live/work in Singapore and they can make that card unsecured very quickly on proof of my residency in Singapore

So it just not Thailand that does thing like this

wink.png

• Like 1