Ed visa to Retirement at Jomtien.... NO

Very confusing as if I leave with out a re-entry visa my extension is not valid anymore. So then I come back on 15 day stamp and immigration convert that to a 12 month extension based on retirement? Of course I have all the other correct paperwork.I did not know that they could convert a 15 day stamp that way to a extension for retirment. As I will go the last day of my extension I need to get it all correct so better to ask one time to many blink.png .Thanks bertyy and please let us know on Monday how it all worked out if you have the time and I really appreciate all your updates.

I wrote about the re-entry permit because you mentioned still having a visa or extension when you returned to make sure you understood you would be coming back with nothing.

Immigration will not directly convert the visa exempt entry to a retirement extension. They will first do a non immigrant visa entry that you pay 2000 baht for.

Then they will do the extension of stay based upon retirement that you pay a additional 1900 baht for.

Very confusing as if I leave with out a re-entry visa my extension is not valid anymore. So then I come back on 15 day stamp and immigration convert that to a 12 month extension based on retirement? Of course I have all the other correct paperwork.I did not know that they could convert a 15 day stamp that way to a extension for retirment. As I will go the last day of my extension I need to get it all correct so better to ask one time to many blink.png .Thanks bertyy and please let us know on Monday how it all worked out if you have the time and I really appreciate all your updates.

I wrote about the re-entry permit because you mentioned still having a visa or extension when you returned to make sure you understood you would be coming back with nothing.

Immigration will not directly convert the visa exempt entry to a retirement extension. They will first do a non immigrant visa entry that you pay 2000 baht for.

Then they will do the extension of stay based upon retirement that you pay a additional 1900 baht for.

ok great I understand now,just want to be sure I have it all correct so I not stand there last day and done wrong.Thanks for clarify.

ok great I understand now,just want to be sure I have it all correct so I not stand there last day and done wrong.Thanks for clarify.

Sorry I'm glad you now understand, but I really don't.

I came back in without a re entry permit, I came back in on the 30 day stamp which allowed me to convert to a retirement visa/stay.

So lets say I had got a re entry permit, I assume that would have allowed me to come back in on my ED visa/stamp ? so I would have gone back to immigration with the same ED visa/stamp that they said I couldn't convert in the first place ?

Or am I missing something again ?

Far from coming back with nothing, he is coming back with a stamp he can change as opposed to one he cant.

Yuur ED visa cannot be used inside Thailand if you want a retirement visa.

A friend of mine was in the same situation and had to leave the kingdom with a valid ED visa on a flight and return without a re-entry stamp so the old visa would be cancelled . Since he's from a EU country he gets 30 days at arrival. Then he got plenty of time to apply for the retirement visa and show all his valid documents at immigration.

A friend of mine was in the same situation and had to leave the kingdom with a valid ED visa on a flight and return without a re-entry stamp so the old visa would be cancelled . Since he's from a EU country he gets 30 days at arrival. Then he got plenty of time to apply for the retirement visa and show all his valid documents at immigration.

Which seems to be the same thing I have done, and is what I am telling INV to do. But for some reason he would rather take notice of people who haven't been in that position.

Hi, Bretty,

Thanks for all your up date. so in few days I want to do the same , cancel my student visa and apply for retirement visa. So what I understand from your comment that have to leave the country and get visa on the boarder and enter this country and apply for retirement visa. so I hear must be a new rule.

Do I need paper from school. to say I not want study any longer. what information they have to put in the latter?

so can I do visa run on Cambodian boarder one day before my ED. visa expire?

I live in Pattya , are you gone from pattaya, if Yes. do you recommend agent and much does cost every thing?

so what kin of paper require to take to Immigration?

Sound more hassle.

thanks

Which seems to be the same thing I have done, and is what I am telling INV to do. But for some reason he would rather take notice of people who haven't been in that position.

Hi

Well I did take notice from your information bertyy, and happy I did as you saved me from many issues so thanks once again. But I was confused about all terms and I did not know that it was possible to convert my 15 day stamp to retirement.But I will do exactly the same way you did bertyy and that will work. Well if there is no new change in the coming weeksblink.png .And that would not be a surprise haha.

Hi, Bretty,

Thanks for all your up date. so in few days I want to do the same , cancel my student visa and apply for retirement visa. So what I understand from your comment that have to leave the country and get visa on the boarder and enter this country and apply for retirement visa. so I hear must be a new rule.

Do I need paper from school. to say I not want study any longer. what information they have to put in the latter?

I live in Pattya , are you gone from pattaya, if Yes. do you recommend agent and much does cost every thing?

Sound more hassle.

thanks

Well I will follow berttys way. And I will leave 2 days before my ed extension is over for a visa run to Cambodia from Pattaya.I still checking were and what company as I want fastest way so I can go to immigration the same day when I get back.Price what I see so far is from 1900 to 2500b

I think You need a paper from your school that state your last date and they should know what to write as they sure done it before.This they can give you anytime with the date you want them to put. I will get mine dated the same day I go for my visa run.

Here is more about the paperwork you will need but for Pattaya I dont think you need all of them,medical,streetplan and maybe some others. I will have it all just in case, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/740584-documents-required-for-retirement-extension/

Edited by INV

Hi, Bretty,

Sound more hassle.

thanks

I had a letter from my school which took them about 5 minutes to write, it just states I am stopping my studies.

I didn't use an agent to do my paper wok I did it myself, you can get the people you run to the border with to do it for you if you want too, no idea how much it will cost, 10-20 thousand baht maybe.

What I took was letter from school, letter from embassy stating my income from England, letter from bank stating how much I had in Thai account seasoned for over 2 months, Best to take a copy of the pages of bank book. Also proof of address, which was a copy of my condo contract. You will need two copies of each and need to sign each sheet.

At the immigration department you get 4 forms, 2 are for the change of stamp. TM7 and another one which I cant remember the number. The people there will make sure they give it to you (possibly TM47?). Then a form to say you understand you cant not work on the retirement stamp and one that tells you the penalties for overstays etc. 2 passport photos also.

Personally I would advise doing border run the day before going to immigration as it is tight to make it in time. We had no traffic and I just got back in time to put the paperwork in.

Oh just remembered, copies of your passport info page copy of the new stamp and a copy of the long white card you get when you re entre.

It sounds a lot, but its really quite simple. If I can do it then it must be simple. Me and paper work really don't get on very well.

Edited by bertty

To the OP did you have a letter from school stating that you have stopped attending classes effective on the date you went to immigration so they could can cancel your current extension and change it to retirement?

If you are living in Bangkok now that is where you will have to do your extension.

If you go out and re-enter for a visa exempt entry it will not be 7 days it will be 15 days unless you are from a G7 country that get a 30 day entry.

You will need to do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry in Bangkok since that is where you are living. If you only get a 15 day entry you will not be able to do it there because they require a minimum of 15 days remaining on your entry. You would need to first apply for a 30 day extension for the 15 day entry.

I suggest rather than doing just a border run that you make a trip to a nearby embassy or consulate and get single entry non-o visa.

My ed visa expires on 7th november and I am getting a letter from my school in pattaya saying this is the end of my course. I will have had several extensions of stay since my visa started on feb 15 2013 - nearly 18 months. I now intend to base my new extension of stay on my wif'es visa as a dependant. She has a work permit as an English teacher until March 2015 and we live in Rayong. Does this mean that if i go to Jomtien to cancel it they will make me do a visa run and when I get back I will go to Mattaphut for an extension?

I am going to Vietnam between the 11th and 25th of October -maybe it would be better if I don't get a re entry visa but just come in on a 30 day?

All of this seems to be getting more complicated by the day! Any help gratefully received!

To the OP did you have a letter from school stating that you have stopped attending classes effective on the date you went to immigration so they could can cancel your current extension and change it to retirement?

If you are living in Bangkok now that is where you will have to do your extension.

If you go out and re-enter for a visa exempt entry it will not be 7 days it will be 15 days unless you are from a G7 country that get a 30 day entry.

You will need to do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry in Bangkok since that is where you are living. If you only get a 15 day entry you will not be able to do it there because they require a minimum of 15 days remaining on your entry. You would need to first apply for a 30 day extension for the 15 day entry.

I suggest rather than doing just a border run that you make a trip to a nearby embassy or consulate and get single entry non-o visa.

My ed visa expires on 7th november and I am getting a letter from my school in pattaya saying this is the end of my course. I will have had several extensions of stay since my visa started on feb 15 2013 - nearly 18 months. I now intend to base my new extension of stay on my wif'es visa as a dependant. She has a work permit as an English teacher until March 2015 and we live in Rayong. Does this mean that if i go to Jomtien to cancel it they will make me do a visa run and when I get back I will go to Mattaphut for an extension?

I am going to Vietnam between the 11th and 25th of October -maybe it would be better if I don't get a re entry visa but just come in on a 30 day?

All of this seems to be getting more complicated by the day! Any help gratefully received!

I don't know what Raong's current policy is. It seems Jomtien has made up some new rule of their own.

If Ranong will not do it you would have go out for a non-o visa. You cannot do a conversion to non immigrant visa entry for a dependent extension.

There's a very good Thai guy on soi Buakhao called Nissan. His agency is called Cambodia Inter and he'll sort everything out for you - for a price. It's on the right after the S bend where the market is, coming from The Com, just after the Family Mart on the bend. It's a small frontage, but you should find it OK. He's extremely good.

PM me for a phone number if you can't find it yourself.

• Like 1

Went to Jomtien to pick up my passport with retirement stamp in.

In and out within 5 minutes.

Really don't bother wasting money using an agent. It was so simple even I could do it.

Good to hear bertyy. I hope I can post the same here in next week. Thanks for all the updates.

So, bertty, you are saying that you came back into the country on a visa exemption, and then you have converted that into a Non-immigrant visa ? which you will extend later on the grounds of retirement ?

So, bertty, you are saying that you came back into the country on a visa exemption, and then you have converted that into a Non-immigrant visa ? which you will extend later on the grounds of retirement ?

No idea, I went out on a ED visa extension got a Cambodian visa then went to immigration and got a retirement stamp..termanogoly does nothing for me. I did what I was told and am now covered for the next year.

So today I went to book my visa run to Cambodia to get my 15 days stamp and later convert to retirment extension. The first tour company say they would not recommend it as not sure immigration at Cambodia border would let me back in.Make me crazy and then I go to 2 more company and they all say the same thing. I have lot of stamp, 2 TV (double)and last 3 year on ed extension. So 3 good visa run company do not recommend me not to do this. They all say fly in and back is better chance or the best of course go to Lao and make a new Non O or make a turist visa and then convert that here in Pattaya but that sound less smart as I have all paperwork for retirement :Damn this shit never ends.Any other ideas or visa trip to Lao for new Non O is my best way?

I think they are being gun shy about it.

There is no rule that says you cannot get a visa exemption after staying on ED extensions for 3 years. Immigration's guidelines only refers to returning after a visa exempt entry to get another one.

If you get a non-o you would not convert anything. You would just apply for the extension during the last 45 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

I think they are being gun shy about it.

There is no rule that says you cannot get a visa exemption after staying on ED extensions for 3 years. Immigration's guidelines only refers to returning after a visa exempt entry to get another one.

If you get a non-o you would not convert anything. You would just apply for the extension during the last 45 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

Yeah can be that but If I get a Non O then at the border I get 90 days extenstion? Then I have to go immigration as you say and then get 12 month extension but my issue is I cant wait, I need to do that after a couple of days after Iam back as I need to use the seasoned money and cant have them in bank and wait . So can I do the 12 month extension right away? I guess I will lose days but no choice.

You would have to wait about 45 days to do the extension if you go out and get a non-o.

One sure way to get a visa exempt entry would be to fly out and back. Not sure what the costs are now Air Asia probably would have the lowest fares. Kl is a good choice because you do not have to pay for a visa to enter Malaysia.

I know of one visa run service that would take you to the border but they only go from Bangkok (sponsor of this forum),

You would have to wait about 45 days to do the extension if you go out and get a non-o.

One sure way to get a visa exempt entry would be to fly out and back. Not sure what the costs are now Air Asia probably would have the lowest fares. Kl is a good choice because you do not have to pay for a visa to enter Malaysia.

I know of one visa run service that would take you to the border but they only go from Bangkok (sponsor of this forum),

ok thanks for the information ubonjoe.

I don't know what Raong's current policy is. It seems Jomtien has made up some new rule of their own.

If Ranong will not do it you would have go out for a non-o visa. You cannot do a conversion to non immigrant visa entry for a dependent extension.

Mataphut told me a month ago that all i need to do is cancel my ed visa at pattaya and then I can get an extension on my wife's visa provided that I have a certified marriage certificate. My situation is slightly different than those trying to change to a retirement visa -I am not looking to change my visa just get an extension of stay based on my wife's visa and as far as I understand from Thai Police order 777/2551 2.20 if I have a Non IM then I can I can apply as a dependant. BUT I am wondering if there has been a change of the rules and this is not the case anymore.

I don't know what Raong's current policy is. It seems Jomtien has made up some new rule of their own.If Ranong will not do it you would have go out for a non-o visa. You cannot do a conversion to non immigrant visa entry for a dependent extension.

Mataphut told me a month ago that all i need to do is cancel my ed visa at pattaya and then I can get an extension on my wife's visa provided that I have a certified marriage certificate. My situation is slightly different than those trying to change to a retirement visa -I am not looking to change my visa just get an extension of stay based on my wife's visa and as far as I understand from Thai Police order 777/2551 2.20 if I have a Non IM then I can I can apply as a dependant. BUT I am wondering if there has been a change of the rules and this is not the case anymore.

As far as I know there have been no national rule changes that would stop you from changing the reason for your extension.

You could double check with Raong to be sure there is still no problem

• Like 1