How to deal with the straydogs yelling problem ...

kkkkkeke

I live in San sai area,my friend open a guesthouse here,the stray dogs seems like have meeting in this soi every mid night.actually I feel ok with that but if guest house have customers it's quite a big problem,the customers cannot sleep well because of that....

Is anybody have advise how to do and what we can do!!

I will really appreciate that!

Call the meeting to order and ask them to stop yelling.

There is a good chance that you will be able to reason with them.

Man up kkkkkeke.

I was only joking before, but now I'll tell you seriously that there isn't much that can be done about barking dogs in Thailand.

Farangs who live in gated communities, condos, etc. usually don't have this problem, but those of us that live among Thais in their neighbourhoods do.

I use foam earplugs myself when the noise gets too loud. That works for me.

Any aggressive action you might take against the dogs or their owners would come under the rubric of "asking for trouble".

I'll tell you what I did, apparently it wasn't very smart. Dog barking repeatedly outside the house at 2am. I went out with a broomstick, followed the dog home and then stood outside their house while the dog barked at me. Eventually the lights came on, someone came out and shouted at the dog, I went home. My wife said I was lucky the guy didn't shoot me.

• Like 1

Some obvious solutions are probably illegal. But very effective.

"...very effective"?

So far nothing has been effective in solving this problem in Chiang Mai.

The obvious solution, and not illegal, would be a massive cull combined with sterilization by the local government.

I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon, if ever.

I'll tell you what I did, apparently it wasn't very smart. Dog barking repeatedly outside the house at 2am. I went out with a broomstick, followed the dog home and then stood outside their house while the dog barked at me. Eventually the lights came on, someone came out and shouted at the dog, I went home. My wife said I was lucky the guy didn't shoot me.

Can I hire you to do this for us?

• Like 2

"...very effective"?

The obvious solution, and not illegal, would be a massive cull combined with sterilization by the local government.

But here got a topic which is talking about maybe the gov shot the stray dogs so their soi no bark anymore

"...very effective"?

Are you advocating an active sterilization of the local government?tongue.png

My wife is quite afraid of dogs. One of the reasons we selected our gated community to build in was that the contract stipulated that no dogs were allowed. Of course that does not deter some of our neighbors. Strangely enough most of the offenders seem to be westerners. Fortunately only one dog in the area seems to be let out to roam the streets. All in all the dogs are not that much of a problem.

The big problem for us now is cats. A neighbor about 4 doors down the street started taking in stray cats. For some reason they really like to hang out in our yard. My wife's garden has taken quite a beating and she's tried pepper spray, orange peels, and lemon grass to some little effect. We don't sit out on the garden patio anymore due to the stench of cat crap and we try to clean it up every day. Now the cats have started hanging out on top of our cars and scratches are starting to appear on them.

When I was a kid I always liked the sounds of the night like the freight trains that ran through our little town. I always liked the sound of howling dogs especially when more and more dogs started to chime in. Of course we had crickets and cicadas and roosters which I liked as well. Unfortunately we can barely hear roosters now but the many birds around our house get an early start every morning. The new sound of nature since coming to Thailand that thrills me are the tokays.

I guess if I had a neighbor that worked on motorcycles or played really loud music then I would find that annoying. But the sounds of nature make me feel connected to the world. I think if I lived in a sound proof house then I would feel quite lonely and isolated.

Grin

I don't think so, I'm not bulletproof. It was just one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time. I've been here for enough years now to realize that I really am lucky the guy didn't shoot me.

"...very effective"?

Are you advocating an active sterilization of the local government?tongue.png

No, I said "...sterilization by the local government", not "...sterilization of the local government".

But now that you mention it, it might not be such a bad idea.

Call the meeting to order and ask them to stop yelling.

There is a good chance that you will be able to reason with them.

Man up kkkkkeke.

I was only joking before, but now I'll tell you seriously that there isn't much that can be done about barking dogs in Thailand.

Farangs who live in gated communities, condos, etc. usually don't have this problem, but those of us that live among Thais in their neighbourhoods do.

I use foam earplugs myself when the noise gets too loud. That works for me.

Any aggressive action you might take against the dogs or their owners would come under the rubric of "asking for trouble".

I beg to differ. I live in Banwangtan which is a gated community with both Thais and farangs. Down one door and across the street there's a Thai family that has a little yapping dog that barks all the time at any little thing. Needless to say the family that lives there hardly shows the dog any attention. And for the best part they do keep it gated so that it doesn't wonder the soi like all the other mutts..... however the barking is sometimes unbearable.

I'm sure the owners don't hear it as being too loud and annoying as the dog is barking away from their home and out across the street into my home and a few others.

I spend the majority of my time in the back AC bedroom with my PC and big screen TV so having the bedroom door shut and the surround sound turned up it generally drowns out that yappy dog. However when it gets annoying for me I crank up the surround sound, open the bedroom door, point my speakers out towards their house and play continuously a .wav file with a dark barking.... Seems like every time I've done that they've gotten the hint and quieted their dog.

You can beg to differ all you want but it won't alter the simple fact that farangs can't do much about barking dogs.

Yes, there have been some isolated cases where dogs have been quieted temporarily by assertive farangs, but it has never resulted in a "final solution". The proof being that the Thai neighbourhoods of Chiang Mai are subjected to a cacophony of howling and barking every night of the week.

Living in an upscale genteel community of Thais and farangs you wouldn't have the problem of pariah dogs, and there is always the possibility of friendly persuasion being used with the owners of dogs that bark.

But anyone who advocates belligerent action against dogs or their owners in Thai neighbourhoods needs a check-up from the neck up.

The big problem for us now is cats. A neighbor about 4 doors down the street started taking in stray cats. For some reason they really like to hang out in our yard. My wife's garden has taken quite a beating and she's tried pepper spray, orange peels, and lemon grass to some little effect. We don't sit out on the garden patio anymore due to the stench of cat crap and we try to clean it up every day. Now the cats have started hanging out on top of our cars and scratches are starting to appear on them.

Maybe the following thread http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/nwest/msg0814573219629.html gives you some more idea's, like:

" ... a gallon jug of tap water sitting in her yard where the cats used to "go" and the cats don't come in anymore. " And the next post by violet_z6

or this site: http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/pets/catpoop.html

When I lived at BWT, a few times, after being woken up at 4am by non-stop barking, I cranked up a live concert or two full blast. Since, obviously noise didn't matter, and there were no rules; I decided to make some of my own. This noise was Thai owned dogs that were left in close quarters overnight. At least three very serious offenders within 60 meters of my attorney's house in 5A. Even 8 years ago, there were stories of gourmet chicken/anti-freeze meatballs.

I don't think so, I'm not bulletproof. It was just one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time. I've been here for enough years now to realize that I really am lucky the guy didn't shoot me.

yet

I can't believe that I have read every post on this thread and nobody has found a simple solution to the OP's problem.... I apologise to the dog lovers who will surely hate me for this but I suffered sleepless nights because of one caged dog that would not stop barking at night.

I'll phrase the answer as a question;

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO KNOWS THAT CHOCOLATE FOR US IS POISONOUS TO DOGS?