Five “Men in Black” suspects are in police custody

Lite Beer

Arrested Men in Black suspects not responsible for Gen Romklao’s death

9-11-2014-6-40-43-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

The five members of the so-called mysterious “Men in Black” arrested by a combined force of police and soldiers and introduced to the media today were not the same group of Men in Black who killed Gen Romklao Thuvatham during the red-shirt protests in April 10, 2010.

Deputy commissioner of the Royal Thai Police Pol Gen Somyos Poompanmuang said they were only responsible for battling with troops and firing at the protesters during the red-shirt protests at the Democracy Monument, at the same day when Gen Romklao was killed.

He said the killing of the general was the work of another group of men in black which the police are still investigating.

He said the police are in the process of coordinating with the Department of Special Investigation to set up a joint investigation team to handle investigation as the men in black case is a special case taken over by the DSI.

The five members of the so-called men in black were introduced at the press conference today.

They were identified as Kittisak Sumsri, alias Ouan, Preecha alias Kaitia Yooyen, Ronarit alias Na Suricha, Chamnarn alias Lek Pakeechai, and Mrs Punika alias Orn Chusri.

Pol Gen Somyos said the five suspects confessed during the police interrogation that they were involved in the shooting of army troops and civilians near the Democracy Monument on April 10 at the height of the red-shirt protests against the Abhisit government.

The battle resulted to several troops being killed, including Colonel Romklao who was posthumously promoted as a general, and also injured and died later.

Pol Gen Somyos said the five were initially charged with possessing, carrying in public and using war weapons.

He said police are still hunting for three fugitives who were identified as Jakarin or Kai Ruengsakvichit, Tanadet Ekapivat or Kai Rodtoo, and Wattanachok or Bo Chinopu.

He said this group of suspects had connection with Mrs Kritsuda or Ple Kunasen who is still at large and is wanted for the recent huge arms cache seizures.

The five suspects said they were taken into the protest rally site in a van and were designated to fire with no fixed targets.

They also claimed they were not given training in the use of weapon by anybody.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/arrested-men-black-suspects-responsible-gen-romklaos-death/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-11

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, as far as I can see that is not mentioned anywhere.

But if they confessed within a day it seems relatively "easy", if they were interrogated for much longer period of time I am starting to get worried about human rights.

Well that's very nice of you Bob. In return, when they finish with the murderous scum and start rounding up those that supported them, I'll worry about yours. Not actually DO anything, but I will worry..

You seem to miss the point (as happens more often in your case): there are many ways to get people to confess to things. If they were forced to give an false confession it does not only mean that they will be convicted of something they did not do, the authorities will also be more likely to stop searching for the ones who actually did it.

How about that for justice?

And not sure what you want me to actually DO. At this point there is not much information available and even if there was, what would you expect an westerner living in Thailand to DO about it?

You may have missed the part in the Op about photographic evidence in your haste to waffle about human rights and false/forced confessions, without any evidence to support either suggestion. What I expect you, and perhaps a few others, to do is to obfuscate, raise strawman arguments, suggest the confessions were invalid and the pictures doctored, and attempt to change the subject. As is done on any topic that reflects badly on PTP, UDD or members of the sinawatra clan.

"What I expect you, and perhaps a few others, to do is to obfuscate, raise strawman arguments, suggest the confessions were invalid and the pictures doctored, and attempt to change the subject. As is done on any topic that reflects badly on PTP, UDD or members of the sinawatra clan."

Thank you. Very clearly said. Do you mind if I copy/paste this from time to time?

If you had any army knowledge you would realize the apc's are used in tactical withdrawals to avoid the soldiers being shot at by other armed forces/snipers but then I dont expect a red sympathizer to have the necessary knowledge to realize this as it ruins their innuendo, mate, you really need to get your facts right. Before quoting stupid ideas try researching exactly what these vehicles are used for, there goes another conspiracy theory................

Mate, loosely snickered here, your knowledge of military withdrawals is based on boy scout credentials. You ;like to make the facts fit your story. The APCs were assigned to a very specific area, the majority of troops left on foot or in trucks, and the APCs showed up before the action commenced and left after it was over...an interesting and hilarious coincidence, of course, you would say...and obviously another red plot..

Yeah right. You are buying what they are selling and trying, weakly, to lend your lack of credibility to an already incredible situation. Mite.

APC are also used for cover, even the red-shirt protesters liked them

"He (i.e. Mr. Purcell) says he was injured by two silicon-coated bullets while trying to shelter behind an APC secured by the reds and now has a ``dirty wound'' which cannot be stitched and has to be treated with antibiotics."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/368941-australian-man-arrested-over-thai-protests/

When you say "So it would appear that these five among others no doubt were hitting both sides and at any other side that may have appeared in their sights" ... where does that "appear"?

Not saying you're wrong, just want to know where that appearance comes from. Your imagination, or otherwise.

the police are showboating it... what is with the 'black-dress-day" at the police station? Especially since all five are identified by name. I have never seen such BS in all my days.

And then they want to connect them with Kritsuda;

"He said this group of suspects had connection with Mrs Kritsuda or Ple Kunasen who is still at large and is wanted for the recent huge arms cache seizures"

Now you know they are just spouting BS. They had her in custody for a month, let her go and then - after she told her story about 'meditation camp' - they decided she was involved in weapons-running : yeah, right.

GP; go find you men in black, squeeze out a few confessions, and bring a more political opponents to "justice" but don't let the police make fools of themselves with this kind of circus.

(ps: I don't doubt the existence of MIB at all. And I don't doubt that people know who they were.)

When you say "So it would appear that these five among others no doubt were hitting both sides and at any other side that may have appeared in their sights" ... where does that "appear"?

Not saying you're wrong, just want to know where that appearance comes from. Your imagination, or otherwise.

Post #91 second and second to last paragraphs.

Post #1 second paragraph.

Post #2 fourth paragraph.

Edited by apetley

the police are showboating it... what is with the 'black-dress-day" at the police station? Especially since all five are identified by name. I have never seen such BS in all my days.

"He said this group of suspects had connection with Mrs Kritsuda or Ple Kunasen who is still at large and is wanted for the recent huge arms cache seizures"

Now you know they are just spouting BS. They had her in custody for a month, let her go and then - after she told her story about 'meditation camp' - they decided she was involved in weapons-running : yeah, right.

GP; go find you men in black, squeeze out a few confessions, and bring a more political opponents to "justice" but don't let the police make fools of themselves with this kind of circus.

(ps: I don't doubt the existence of MIB at all. And I don't doubt that people know who they were.)

Kritsuda was named as a supplier of weapons by a Red Shirt after she was released by the NCPO; would you had been happier if they kept her in detention indefinitely until concrete evidence surfaced?

Anyway, doesn't matter, you will not accept anything that goes against the narrative of the Red Shirt being innocent victims.

• Like 2

if you had any army knowledge you would realize the apc's are used in tactical withdrawals to avoid the soldiers being shot at by other armed forces/snipers but then I dont expect a red sympathizer to have the necessary knowledge to realize this as it ruins their innuendo, mate, you really need to get your facts right. Before quoting stupid ideas try researching exactly what these vehicles are used for, there goes another conspiracy theory................

You don't come with 6 APC in the night to leave. Like I said, the answers may open up the Pandora box. Either those arrested are set up or the case will be hushed as the answers will be uncomfortable for the establishment.

Mate, loosely snickered here, your knowledge of military withdrawals is based on boy scout credentials. You ;like to make the facts fit your story. The APCs were assigned to a very specific area, the majority of troops left on foot or in trucks, and the APCs showed up before the action commenced and left after it was over...an interesting and hilarious coincidence, of course, you would say...and obviously another red plot..

Yeah right. You are buying what they are selling and trying, weakly, to lend your lack of credibility to an already incredible situation. Mite.

I was a driver/sig then a cc in pcs for many years, I think I know what their role is in warfare. Their name gives them away, APC, armoured personal carriers, they are also fire support vehicles hence using them to cover a withdrawal, you are just so wrong. The only one making a goose of himself is you with your lack of knowledge, they did exactly what they were designed for, try reading what you have written yourself, they were there to cover the withdrawl then they left again, tsk tsk.

Are they not "innocent" until proven guilty Alex? isn't that not always the case? apart from here in TVF where an amazing panel of expert witnesses arrive at a guilty verdict without having any evidence what so ever in thier possesion, and without a trial having been conducted? ..

Amazing Thailand right enough.. I'd much rather wait till all the evidence was presented and then let the prosecution take place, and if guilty, lock them up, if not, find those who ARE guilty.

• Like 2

if you had any army knowledge you would realize the apc's are used in tactical withdrawals to avoid the soldiers being shot at by other armed forces/snipers but then I dont expect a red sympathizer to have the necessary knowledge to realize this as it ruins their innuendo, mate, you really need to get your facts right. Before quoting stupid ideas try researching exactly what these vehicles are used for, there goes another conspiracy theory................

You don't come with 6 APC in the night to leave. Like I said, the answers may open up the Pandora box. Either those arrested are set up or the case will be hushed as the answers will be uncomfortable for the establishment.

I was a driver/sig then a cc in pcs for many years, I think I know what their role is in warfare. Their name gives them away, APC, armoured personal carriers, they are also fire support vehicles hence using them to cover a withdrawal, you are just so wrong. The only one making a goose of himself is you with your lack of knowledge, they did exactly what they were designed for, try reading what you have written yourself, they were there to cover the withdrawl then they left again, tsk tsk.

The M113 wasn't armoured too much IIRC, I think the bulk of it was made from aluminium, and it melted a lot during the Vietnam war, after they got hit, I think when the Israeli's started putting aplique armour on their versions, they fared a little bit better, even BMP's were poorly designed , having the fuel stored in the rear doors.. Brit 432's were not much better, the best thing in them was the BV for making brews..

Water boarding is a great teller of the truth, love to see these people being arrested and hopefully slammed away, all you liberals save your breath it's wasted on me.

Personal experience then I take it? An innocent man would confess to anything to stop the torture.. have a wee ponder over that one

Water boarding is a great teller of the truth, love to see these people being arrested and hopefully slammed away, all you liberals save your breath it's wasted on me.

Personal experience then I take it? An innocent man would confess to anything to stop the torture.. have a wee ponder over that one

Stop to see torture everywhere when suspect are reds terrorist.....

For remember during Taksin regime there were no trial no investigation just extrajudicial execution...............

• Like 1

2010 POLITICAL VIOLENCE
'Men in black' arrested

The Nation

30243114-01_big.jpg?1410475877590
Five men suspected of being involved in the 2010 killing of then-Colonel Romklao Thuvatham appear before the press at the Royal Thai Police headquarters yesterday.

Five held over soldiers' deaths during the 2010 political unrest

BANGKOK: -- Police have arrested four men and one woman in connection with the killings of several soldiers in Bangkok, including Colonel Romklao Thuvatham, during the political unrest in 2010, and are hunting for two more two suspects.

Romklao was serving as deputy chief of staff of the Second Infantry Division of the Royal Guards. He was promoted posthumously to general.

All the suspects were involved in a firearm and grenade attack against troops dispatched to a protest rally in a small alley near the Democracy Monument on the night of April 10, 2010, Pol General Somyot Pumpunmuang, deputy National Police chief, said yesterday.

The attackers all wore black clothes and hoods, he said.

Earlier investigations into the 2010 disturbances found that armed men in dark attire, dubbed "men in black" by many people, had mingled with red-shirt protesters.

Somyot was speaking during a press conference at police headquarters attended by many senior police and military officers that was called to announce the arrest.

An eighth suspect has died, but Somyot did not state the cause.

Romklao's wife Nicha Hiranburana thanked Somyot for the arrests. She posted a long Facebook message saying she hoped the arrests would expose the mastermind of the attack that left five military officers dead and many others wounded.

Somyot said that under questioning, the suspects confessed that they participated in the attack. Investigators would next attempt to link the suspects to their accomplices and mastermind.

The arrests were the result of careful police investigation that led to a court-issued warrant, he said.

The suspects were identified as Kittisak Sumsri, 45, Preecha Yooyen, 24, Chamnan Pakeechai, 45, Ronnarit Suricha, 33, and Punika Choosri, 39, who are now under custody, while Wattanachok Chinpui, 23, and Thanadej Ekapiwat, 45, remain at large.

Police have identified a mastermind as Chakrarin Ruangsak-vichit, who is now wanted under an arrest warrant issued by the military court of Saraburi.

There is a connection between the suspects and Kritsuda Kunasen, a red-shirt leader who recently accused the junta of torturing her during military detention, Somyot said.

The suspects were charged with carrying war-grade weapons in public without a permit. They were handed over to Crime Suppression police for detention after the press conference.

The attack was plotted at a condominium on Ram-Inthra Road, Somyot said.

The assailants, armed with heavy weapons including an M79 grenade launcher, were taken to the scene of the attack in a van.

Kittisak, one of the suspects, said they had not known one another before joining the attack. They were not instructed to target any military officer in particular, he said.

During the press conference, the men were brought into the room wearing black clothes and hoods, while the woman was not made to dress in black.

Thanawut Wichaidit, spokesman for the red-shirt United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship, said the red shirts were confident there were no "men in black" among their protesters during the unrest of 2010.

"We fight peacefully, and the red shirts had nothing to do" with the violent attack, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Men-in-black-arrested-30243114.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-12

CHRONOLOGY
Hunt for the 'men in black'

The Nation

30243122-01_big.jpg
Romklao

April, 10, 2010: Colonel Romklao Thuvatham, deputy chief-of-staff of the 2nd Infantry Division, King's Guard, is hit by grenades lobbed in his direction by "men in black".

He was at a command post near Khok Wua Intersection as part of the military operation to disperse red-shirt protesters. He succumbed to his injuries.

July, 16, 2010: Tarit Pengdith, Department of Special Investigation (DSI) chief, announces the arrest of suspects involved in attacks during the red-shirt protests. These attacks included the one on Romklao and other soldiers.

January 20, 2011: DSI concludes its investigation into 89 deaths, dividing them into three categories:

- 12 deaths in incidents allegedly stemming from acts of red-shirt United Front of Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), including the killing of Romklao and people killed when CentralWorld was set ablaze;

- 13 deaths in eight incidents allegedly stemming from acts of government officials, which are under normal police investigation, including the death of a Japanese photojournalist and the three people killed in Wat Pathum Wanaram;

- 64 deaths in 18 incidents where the identities of suspects are unknown, including the assassination of Maj-General Khattiya Sawasdiphol, nurse Kamolked Akkahad and an Italian photo journalist.

February 28, 2011: Eight suspects allegedly involved in the murder of Romklao are released on bail.

January 13, 2012: Romklao's widow Nicha Thuvatham is given a facsimile from then-justice minister Pracha Promnok about a DSI investigation into Romklao's murder. It does not implicate anybody.

June 25: The Saraburi military court issues arrest warrants for four people suspected of planning and supporting attacks carried out by "men in black". The four are Manas Paorik, Jakkarin Ruengsakwichit, Pheeraphong Sinthusonthichart and Somsak Kosinanont.

September 10: Arrest warrants are approved for seven "men in black" over Romklao's killing, following a joint investigation by the police and Army.

September 11: Deputy police chief Pol-General Somyot Poompanmuang announces the arrest of five people, including one woman. Two others are allegedly on the run.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Hunt-for-the-men-in-black-30243122.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-12

I've been on the wrong side of the law, violently, they can get a confession out of a duck if they wanted to

So, monk213 = sponge Bob = violent criminal = confessing duck, did I get the sequence right? A multiple personality syndrom, or just a vivid imagination? Or do you mean you speak out of experience: you were arrested and interrogated by the RTA, and that you confessed, is it? Or ...?

In fact it is Spongebob mixed with Carlton from Prince Of Bel Air. But no, I got myself into a spot of bother some months ago after a drink when my bike was stolen, the police were less than helpful and so I let my Thai tongue slip and I got the beating of my life. And that was just for saying one word and having my own bike stolen. So if they want a confession, boy I can only imagine what they may do behind closed doors

There were quite a few APC's that were abandoned and left behind. They (or what remained of them) didn't leave until a couple of days later.

Kritsuda was named as a supplier of weapons by a Red Shirt after she was released by the NCPO; would you had been happier if they kept her in detention indefinitely until concrete evidence surfaced?

Anyway, doesn't matter, you will not accept anything that goes against the narrative of the Red Shirt being innocent victims.

it doesn't matter since you refuse to actually engage your brain on any thought other than polishing the junta's posterior.

it doesn't matter since you refuse to actually engage your brain on any thought other than polishing the junta's posterior.

If you have nothing to say but insults you should keep quiet and let better mannered people continue the conversation.

• Like 1

The M113 wasn't armoured too much IIRC, I think the bulk of it was made from aluminium, and it melted a lot during the Vietnam war, after they got hit, I think when the Israeli's started putting aplique armour on their versions, they fared a little bit better, even BMP's were poorly designed , having the fuel stored in the rear doors.. Brit 432's were not much better, the best thing in them was the BV for making brews..

That's why they only sold 80,000 of them - rubbish.

Lets go back and have another look at the latest report on post #91 regarding the 5 suspects now in custody.

"Royal Thai Police Pol Gen Somyos Poompanmuang said they were only responsible for battling with troops and firing at the protesters during the red-shirt protests"

So as well as shooting at the army they also shot at the protesters. This is confirmed later in the report :

"Pol Gen Somyos said the five suspects confessed during the police interrogation that they were involved in the shooting of army troops and civilians near the Democracy Monument on April 10 at the height of the red-shirt protests against the Abhisit government."

Later in the report we see:

"The five suspects said they were taken into the protest rally site in a van and were designated to fire with no fixed targets.

They also claimed they were not given training in the use of weapon by anybody."

So they were recruited by somebody as yet unnamed, given weapons which they were not trained to use, taken in a van by an unnamed driver to the protest site and told to shoot at anything that took their fancy.

So just how many of the 91 deaths that are being blamed on the army were in fact inflicted by these (and others) untrained MIB who were taken to protest sites with the intention to have them shoot and fire grenades at the army and civilians ?

To put it another way " Who has committed premeditated murder by sending these men to deliberately shoot at the army and the protesters ?"

I have rarely seen such a nonsensical post lapping up the Junta's PR and making ridiculous assumptions.To be fair to the Junta it may well be some of the unbelievable points raised in the article were just dreamed uop by some retard in the police department, desperate to curry favour.Anyway it's pointless debating with the quisling mentality.The main point which I suspect will have occurred to most is the ludicrous behaviour of the police in dressing up the "suspects" in black and attaching a red armband.I have no idea about the men in black but have little doubt there was a violent element among the redshirts.Still I (and I suspect most members) can recognise a crock of shit (ie this story) when I see it.

• Like 1

I have rarely seen such a nonsensical post lapping up the Junta's PR and making ridiculous assumptions.To be fair to the Junta it may well be some of the unbelievable points raised in the article were just dreamed uop by some retard in the police department, desperate to curry favour.Anyway it's pointless debating with the quisling mentality.The main point which I suspect will have occurred to most is the ludicrous behaviour of the police in dressing up the "suspects" in black and attaching a red armband.I have no idea about the men in black but have little doubt there was a violent element among the redshirts.Still I (and I suspect most members) can recognise a crock of shit (ie this story) when I see it.

I refer you to post #51. The usual suspects rarely disappoint.