why do the potatoes taste sweet ?

padsterj

Anyone know ? Im not talking about sweet potatoes,I'm talking about potatoes to make chips, mash spud smile.png I always get mine from Big C. The bread is the same some of it is really sweet why do they put so much sugar in stuff? lord only knows how they got it into a potato :)

Edited by padsterj

Did you know that there are hundreds (or thousands) of different varieties of potatoes?

In Europe the supermarkets may offer 3-4 different one. In Thailand only 1 and maybe the wrong one....

I shall have to search for another place to buy them see if they are better but I can assure you the ones I have been buying have a sweet taste to them, they look like big new potatoes and a similar taste.

I've never tasted any sweetness in normal potatoes here.

I don't think that he means sweet like sugar. It is a very slight sweetness that keeps potatoes from being as good as at home. I taste it for sure and have for many years. Some places seem to use a different potato, that is better, or they cover up the sweetness somehow, but most places use the potatoes that are not quite right.

Have you tried the Farmhouse Bread from 7/11....It's not sweet, good actually, especially the brown sliced stuff....

When you cooked the spuds, throw in a teaspoon of Butter....the sweetness goes. Those sweet ones are the imported ones, from where, who knows.

They do appear on the shelf now and then....but it's becoming more rare these days...IMO

spuds taste ok to me, I do mashed, spuds in the jacket and baked, cant really taste any residual sweetness in them, As for bread I buy it from a japanese bakery at central, the big square loaf(not the high loaf, its centre is yellowish and its sweet), no sugar and it tastes pretty good, especially as toast as you can get it thicker sliced. Just a matter of looking.

Sugar Content

Although you should limit added sugars in your diet, you don't need to limit natural sugars in food, as these sugars are found along with fiber, vitamins and minerals. Potatoes contain three main types of sugars: fructose, sucrose and glucose. Each 100-gram serving of potatoes contains about 1 gram of naturally occurring sugars, making the sugar content of potatoes approximately 1 percent.

Variation by Potato Type

While all potatoes contain similar amounts of sugar, sugar content varies based on the type of potato. Waxier potatoes contain more sugars than other types of potatoes. For example, the sugar content in 100 grams of red potatoes is 1.29 grams and that of white potatoes is 1.15 grams, while russet potatoes only contain 0.62 grams of sugar per 100-gram serving.

Storage and Sugar Content

How potatoes are stored can also alter their sugar content. According to a study published in "Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry" in 2005, storing potatoes at a low temperature of 2 degrees Celsius, or about 36 degrees Fahrenheit, for four weeks results in a higher sugar content than that found in potatoes stored at a higher temperature of 18 degrees Celsius, or 64 degrees Fahrenheit, for the same amount of time.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/natural-sugar-concentration-potatoes-3481.html

Have you tried the Farmhouse Bread from 7/11....It's not sweet, good actually, especially the brown sliced stuff....

When you cooked the spuds, throw in a teaspoon of Butter....the sweetness goes. Those sweet ones are the imported ones, from where, who knows.

They do appear on the shelf now and then....but it's becoming more rare these days...IMO

I always add salt when boiling, works too.

• Like 1

Did you know that there are hundreds (or thousands) of different varieties of potatoes?

In Europe the supermarkets may offer 3-4 different one. In Thailand only 1 and maybe the wrong one....

I shall have to search for another place to buy them see if they are better but I can assure you the ones I have been buying have a sweet taste to them, they look like big new potatoes and a similar taste.

yes buy somewhere different....it might be just the wrong kind of potatoes.....it is similar like with apples....there are complete different one....

Question 1) Yes

Question 2) Salivary amylase converts the starch into simple sugars in your mouth hence the sweet taste.

Question 3) Because they like sugar.

Statement 4) They didn't put sugar in the potato, you made it yourself.

Question 1) Yes

Question 2) Salivary amylase converts the starch into simple sugars in your mouth hence the sweet taste.

Question 3) Because they like sugar.

Statement 4) They didn't put sugar in the potato, you made it yourself.