Thai student wins £1 million jackpot in UK

webfact

Thai student wins £1 million jackpot in UK

Jiratchaya-Klongkarn-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Thai female student at Chester University has became a millionaire after winning one million pound prize from just a two pound stake in her local bookies, the Mirror daily reported yesterday.

The UK-based daily said Jiratchaya Klongkarn, 29, a business administration masters degree student at Chester won £1million from a £2 stake in her local bookies.

It said she matched all six numbers in the 49′s game at Ladbrokes.

The 29-year-old had only been playing the game for four months – and had already won £601 in June.

Jirtchaya, who is originally from Thailand, picked 8 and 12, as her birthday is the 12th of August, then the remainder at random.

She said: “I’m over the moon and I still can’t believe it. When I finally found out I was so excited.

“It still doesn’t feel real and I’ve barely slept. I had some bad luck earlier on in the year but this has made up for it.”

The student and her friends have already booked a trip to Chester racecourse tomorrow and will celebrate the win there

She will also share her new fortune with her mother, who still lives in Thailand.

The windfall in Chester is the second million pound payout for Ladbrokes within a year following a jackpot won from a £4 stake in Bournemouth in December 2013, and the latest winner joins an exclusive club of no more than 15 betting shop millionaires created in history.

Alex Donohue of Ladbrokes said: “We couldn’t be happier for our history-making millionaire.

“She’s defied the odds in style more than making up for her near miss earlier in the summer and she’s now the first female to join the small club of those who won a million in their local betting shop.”

He added: “These jackpots are won once in a blue moon so the odds of two coming along in under a year are very long at 65,182,370/1.”

The 49′s is a popular lottery-style draw game which takes place twice a day.

(Photo : http://www.mirror.co.uk)

Source: The mirror

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-student-wins-1-million-jackpot-uk/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-12

• Like 2

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100 baht gets you more than 50 million baht in the UK. In Thailand? About 3 million. Go figure.

Why do you think it was the first issue the Junta got their teeth into ! That one was delt with in days!!

I'm cool with lowering the purchase price of the lottery tickets, but how about raising the winnings?

...ironic....

...I was told 'foreigners are not entitled to any wins in the Thai Lottery'....

I think the same may be the case of of the main UK lottery. However this isn't a government run Lottery, this is run by a betting shop which is a private company and almost certainly would be open to everyone, and rightly so.

Good luck to her with her new found riches, I go in ladbrokes about once a week, so I've probably contributed a fair bit to her new windfall. biggrin.png

...ironic....

...I was told 'foreigners are not entitled to any wins in the Thai Lottery'....

I think the same may be the case of of the main UK lottery. However this isn't a government run Lottery, this is run by a betting shop which is a private company and almost certainly would be open to everyone, and rightly so.

Good luck to her with her new found riches, I go in ladbrokes about once a week, so I've probably contributed a fair bit to her new windfall. biggrin.png

Don't think so. Anyone can buy a ticket. If you win a large amount you can opt to remain anonymous too. Obviously, they prefer you don't as they like the publicity.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

100 baht gets you more than 50 million baht in the UK. In Thailand? About 3 million. Go figure.

Different systems though. You can buy books of the same number here, if you are lucky enough to win, each ticket will give you 3 million baht. The win isn't divided like the UK.

If I won the Thai lottery I couldn't buy a plot of land in my name with the winnings. I rather think she'll be able to buy land in the UK and own it as 'freehold' rather than having to take a 30 year lease on it as we farangs have to in LOS!! Unfair, but good luck to her.

• Like 1