Pattaya To Enlarge Beach After Erosion Has Caused It To Disappear

Rimmer

Pattaya To Enlarge Beach After Erosion Has Caused It To Disappear

PATTAYA – September 11, 2014 [Pattaya Daily News]; Mr.Somchai Sumanaskajornkul-deputy director of the marine department-had discussed about enlarging Pattaya beach. The project will involve officers from Chulalongkorn university and Pattaya officers. Its aim is to solve the beach erosion problem and to extend the beach back to its original size.

Mr.Somchai said that the marine department had spent 13 million baht to hire Chulalongkorn marine institution to inspect and plan the scheme to enlarge Pattaya beach after the officials found that Pattaya beach had eroded from 35.6 meters down to 4-5 meters.

The institute had laid 35 meters of sand at a width of around 3 kilometers long from North Pattaya to South Pattaya. Also the marine department had been financed by the government with 430 million baht (2014-2015) and the first year’s budget had been allocated 64,500,000 baht.

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/pattaya-enlarge-beach-erosion-caused-disappear/

pdnews.jpg
-- Pattaya Daily News 2014-09-13

derogatory and potential defamatory post removed for poster's and ThaiVisa's protection

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

This way they can keep the beach chair folk happy and have some beach for the public.

No loss of income to the city (and others) by having to remove the chair vendors.

Yes, the beach chair folk need more beach to kick people off and push them towards their chairs.

derogatory and defamatory post removed. Please read this rule forum rule ...

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

maybe all the poo they flush out to see has finally taken its toll on the environment. Yea sure I'll part with US 400k to buy one of those condos overlooking a polluted beach and stink from some 30ish pom (Executive Vice President of Condo development company) in a suit is selling me, sounds great. Meanwhile some "Dump" close to the city in farangland has sold for $900k above the reserve and the purchaser only bought it two years ago, yea sure I would rather invest in potential capital gains in Pattaya v's back home for sure, count me in gov.

In Na Jomtien, just south of Ocean Marina, there has been something that looks like an attempt to stop beach erosion for the last few years. I'm not sure if this was just an experiment or something proven but if it works they could do the same on Pattaya beach.

They could then use one of the resulting bays for jetskis (if still allowed) and speed boats only and leave the others for swimmers.

post-184436-0-19442400-1410603292_thumb.

Strange use of tenses in this report. First it says they "had laid" 35 metres of sand, then it says they "will lay" 35 metres of sand. The latter is evidently the correct version, but shouldn't Pattaya Daily News be a bit more competent in English?

Good, they are planning to enlarge the beach.

Any chance of keeping it clean also and get rid of the soi dogs?

Not a fan of dogs? Why would someone not like dogs? I know some people are afraid of then, but I have always found them to be friendly.

maybe stopping the erosion would be easier and cheaper then replacing the beach every year? the whole thing has been sandbagged so all the drainage is down the steps and thru the beach, washing large amounts of sand out past the low tide mark whenever it floods, and interestingly undermining the 100 foot high prison lights, so it may get interesting. so anyway, the tractors will be out soon and they will level the beach, but sadly the missing sand is out beyond the reach of the tractors so the beach will drop another meter or so this year. personally I like it

Good, they are planning to enlarge the beach.

Any chance of keeping it clean also and get rid of the soi dogs?

Not a fan of dogs? Why would someone not like dogs? I know some people are afraid of then, but I have always found them to be friendly.

I used to like them too, but after having a few sneak up behind me and bite my ankle Im all for exterminating them, manners dont cost nothing as they say

Gee , and heres me thinking much of it is under footpaths and road surface and Beach rd shops.

Beaches are dynamic entities and constantly moving , but people want beaches to stay still and the sea not to interfere with their expensive real estate.

Ever heard of "shifting sands" ?

Pattaya , and any other beach for that matter , needs to have a buffer of green space , so the yellow space ( sand ) can expand and contract according to natures needs. Not mans.

It looks to me way too late for Pattaya , and the water quality so bad I can only wonder as to why anyone would wish to go to the beach there.

By all means dump more sand there, pour away ...

It wont matter a jot in a year or twos time ...

Can not remember how often and how long ago I read about this project.

Will it now finally start or is it just another daydream?

May 12. So I guess instead of starting the project they are just going to keep posting it in the news.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725408-pattaya-to-extend-beach-in-bid-to-lure-tourists/

Edited by morrobay

"Massive root systems." That sounds familiar :) In fact, those old-growth umbrella (lom) trees that they are intent on destroying do have very massive, intricate root systems, and they are adapted to saline conditions. They do not prevent erosion totally; rather, they mitigate it (slow it down). If you walk around the beach areas in Pattaya-Jomtien it is obvious that those areas that no longer have the umbrella tress in large numbers have degraded more than areas that still have them. Sometimes when you mess with nature, nature messes back! The root systems of palm trees are small in comparison to umbrella trees. They do not mitigate erosion to the same extent as umbrella trees. Cut down the umbrella trees that mitigate erosion, and add lots of concrete, screw up the water drainage system and mix that with global warming and associated sea level rise and the end result is: beach erosion.

A lot of money has been wasted already putting more sand on Pattaya Beach. Unless a strategy is devised to keep the sand there , it will just disappear again.

A major breakwater wall or a series of Groynes needs to be put in place to prevent the currents washing the sand away again. Let's see what ideas 64M baht

buys ?