Thai woman fights for the rights of the countries stateless population

Lite Beer

"Thailand is home to around half a million stateless people who make up part of its seventy million population, according to UNHCR, the United Nations refugee agency, only Myanmar and Nepal have higher numbers."

Damn it; Thailand is not the hub of stateless persons living within the populus.

It came third......... shame on Thailand for getting the bronze medal, as usual.

• Like 1

My wife is in somewhat the same position. Fled Cambodia 30 years ago, was granted a "temporary stay in the kingdom on grounds of co-sanguinity' (i.e. has some thai blood running through her veins), and has not been allowed to leave the province of Trat since. Although she was issued some form of ID, it has a different color and follows a different numbersystem from the one issued to Thai people. No legal job, no right to travel, no passport. Our son fortunately has my nationality.

After 30 years one would expect some leniency from the Thai autorities, but every time we tried to apply we were -quite rudely- given to understand she should be happy to be in Thailand and should shut-up.

This article does give some hope, though.

• Like 2

She has an ID card, now she is Thai? I think the headline is a little misleading.

Yes. Last paragraph but one. And she's holding up her new national ID card in the photo.

Good luck to her! I wouldn't be surprized if she gets threats of losing her new citizenship if she starts making too much noise--but this is the kind of noise that needs to be made and more and more loudly. Much more needed than elections at this point.

human rights, better life, opportunity, somehow a "Farang" country is always involved in these sentences.

Yes. These concepts evolved along with the nation-state, also a western invention. The evolution took hundreds of years & with the world now structured as nation-states, most countries are playing catch-up & lurching towards some system that fits with both the new order and with the prior culture. Thailand imitated on the Nazi totalitarian model (also a western invention) in the 1930s and is having a hard time getting away from that.

25% of the Thai population is stateless, meaning -- they have been here for over a hundred years but they're not really Thai. It also means one quarter of the population are illegal immigrants.

Yeah, right. These people are fine for drawing tourists, no problem, and fine for creating goods that support the Thai economy, fine, but given an ID card and citizenship -?- voting -?- well, that's another matter for fiction.

tongue.png

• Like 1

My wife is in somewhat the same position. Fled Cambodia 30 years ago, was granted a "temporary stay in the kingdom on grounds of co-sanguinity' (i.e. has some thai blood running through her veins), and has not been allowed to leave the province of Trat since. Although she was issued some form of ID, it has a different color and follows a different numbersystem from the one issued to Thai people. No legal job, no right to travel, no passport. Our son fortunately has my nationality.

After 30 years one would expect some leniency from the Thai autorities, but every time we tried to apply we were -quite rudely- given to understand she should be happy to be in Thailand and should shut-up.

This article does give some hope, though

I have been following this lady for quite some time. A great story.

I have a similar situation also. My partner's parents left him as a very young child, with none of his documents. A family took him in as their own, he went to school and has had a pretty good life but has no ID and there are many things he can not do which he wishes he could. He has been trying to get it for years and they keep stalling with some issue or another.

Very tough but as you say the article does give some hope.

This article does give some hope, though.

Quite agree, are you really thinking its all changed since the 1930's .

Are you still watching Dickson of Doc Green ?

Anyhow not easy to wakeup to the 21st cent unless you're old fashioned !

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

so half a million Thais have no right to vote? without nationality how can nationals vote? surely this means that democracy is impossible until you give citizens their right to their motherland

Bah, Voting isn't that big of a deal. Just means you get the tiniest part in a system designed to take the resources of people and spend them in various ways. (Rice Scheme).

human rights, better life, opportunity, somehow a "Farang" country is always involved in these sentences.

Yes. These concepts evolved along with the nation-state, also a western invention. The evolution took hundreds of years & with the world now structured as nation-states, most countries are playing catch-up & lurching towards some system that fits with both the new order and with the prior culture. Thailand imitated on the Nazi totalitarian model (also a western invention) in the 1930s and is having a hard time getting away from that.

Also, created the problems of the Nation State.

What we should be doing is recognizing that we are all just Citizens of Earth. We are all Born on Earth, Live on Earth and there is no way to Leave Earth, thus we are all citizens of the Earth.

Stateless people(citizens of earth) should be allowed to do more then just Factory work or sex work. Also note that the UN has recognized that humans have the right to work so I don't see how any Nation State which has signed onto that document should think that they should disallow someone from working whether or not they are recognized as a citizen of that Country or not.

If Citizens of Work were allowed to work anywhere this problem of working just in a factory or sex work would go away.

"Stateless people have no rights to the basics that most people take for granted such as healthcare, education and employment, they cannot open bank accounts or buy a house or even get married."

They should be allowed to access healthcare, education and employment. Its disgusting to think that Nation States would disallow any of this. Also opening bank accounts should be allowed. Why not allow them to deal directly with a bank that can get them an account. Why not allow Citizens of Earth to buy houses. And you don't need the Government to get married...

Slaves to the Government is what this article is actually suggesting you all should be....