NLA supports enactment of inheritance tax law

Lite Beer

NLA supports enactment of inheritance tax law

BANGKOK, 14 September 2014 (NNT) - The National Legislative Assembly is expressing its support to the Prime Minister’s push for the passing of an inheritance law.

NLA member Taweesak Suthakavatin said that the assembly’s committee on economics and finance are going to look at the draft inheritance tax collection law which Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha announced in the statement as one of the policies that must be implemented before the end of the year.

Mr. Taweesak said that the NLA committee on economics and finances are reviewing the details of the draft before presenting in to the assembly for deliberation while NLA members are supposed to gather basic information for the upcoming debate.

Mr. Somchai Sawaengkarn, another NLA member, believes the draft law will be passed within the planned timeframe, as parts of a reform to make Thailand’s tax system meet international standards.

He added that the current tax system of the country has been exploited by some groups of people and new laws will help narrow the gap in the society.

For the inheritance tax collection law, Mr. Somchai said that it is important to make sure the law is effective in tackling tax evasions, while expressing confidence that it will eventually be successfully passed and put into effect.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-14 footer_n.gif

Pass all the laws you want and tidy up the taxation could to make it fair by all means.

Then all that remains is to make sure the Revenue Dept, long regarded as one of the most corrupt govt offices, does its job properly without all the little ' special deals ' for those who can afford them. No easy task.

• Like 1

Pass all the laws you want and tidy up the taxation could to make it fair by all means.

Then all that remains is to make sure the Revenue Dept, long regarded as one of the most corrupt govt offices, does its job properly without all the little ' special deals ' for those who can afford them. No easy task.

"...the Revenue Dept, long regarded as one of the most corrupt govt offices,"

Where do you get information such as this from? Apart from you, who else accuses the Revenue Department of being top of the corrupt list?

Where do you get information such as this from? Apart from you, who else accuses the Revenue Department of being top of the corrupt list?

I would have thought something with a name like the Revenue Department would attract the most corrupt public servants like bees to a flower.

I for one agree with NongKhaiKid's opinion and I am sure there are lots more.

• Like 1

From what I have been told by several Westerners working and doing business in Thailand, the Revenue Dept. has the most efficient and up to date IT system in the government. I know of a few who were prevented from exiting the country at the airport until questions about unpaid taxes were resolved.

Edited by dddave

Mr. Taweesak said that the NLA committee on economics and finances are reviewing the details of the draft before presenting in to the assembly for deliberation while NLA members are supposed to gather basic information for the upcoming debate.

I can only hope this is a translation error and not a true reflection of the rubber stamp nature of the NLA just going through the motions?

• Like 1

i didn't say they were top of the list.

Don't know how long you have been here but over the years official reports on government corruption put Revenue, Customs etc up there as the worst.

Not good enough for you i suppose.

I would have thought something with a name like the Revenue Department would attract the most corrupt public servants like bees to a flower.

i thought the most corrupt govt office is the RTP.

• Like 1

I can only hope this is a translation error and not a true reflection of the rubber stamp nature of the NLA just going through the motions?

I guess you really miss the political debates and grand-standing. Well, there's still some of that.

So, an NLA committee has a draft and NLA members collect information for the upcoming debate.

That's similar to "the MPs are supposed to gather basic information for the upcoming debate". Of course, if you want to convince us that the previous government wasn't really much different ... ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

i thought the most corrupt govt office is the RTP.

It may seem that way, because they are doing their dirty work out in the open, in plain sight of everyone. But the serious corruption is carried out behind closed doors, and in the case of the PTP, sometimes in the early hours of the morning, when honest people are in their beds asleep.

• Like 1

I guess you really miss the political debates and grand-standing. Well, there's still some of that.

So, an NLA committee has a draft and NLA members collect information for the upcoming debate.

That's similar to "the MPs are supposed to gather basic information for the upcoming debate". Of course, if you want to convince us that the previous government wasn't really much different ... ... rolleyes.gif

It's not similar at all, not even close. "Supposed" is defined as "generally assumed or believed to be the case, but not necessarily so". Hence my comment.

It's not similar at all, not even close. "Supposed" is defined as "generally assumed or believed to be the case, but not necessarily so". Hence my comment.

"NLA members are supposed to gather basic information for the upcoming debate"

"the MPs are supposed to gather basic information for the upcoming debate"

Not similar at all, indeed.

No problem ls with implementing some additional taxes, so long as they get spent well... Which is the worrisome thing ...

Hopefully they will put some real teeth in the tax evasion laws... And then have a crack law enforcement team that is in charge of finding tax evaders

Need to start arresting and prosecuting those with Unusual wealth...

If you make 50k a month and drive a 4 million baht car and your wife drives the same and your house is worth 10million... Where's the money coming from? I'm sure everyone knows the answer...

And then voting the way that Thaksin wanted with no objections at all.

He was the real PM when the PTP were power, wasn't he and not just a caddy?

The word on the backside is this: "Go ahead. Pass an inheritance tax law. But make sure you leave open a loophole so the assets can be given as gifts tax-free beforehand."

Duh!!

There's some changes to 'gifts' as well, so better hurry

"For gifts, the rate is 0% for assets worth not more than 10 million baht or the first 10 million baht of the assets, 10% for the portion between 10-40 million baht and 20% for the portion exceeding 40 million Baht"

Don't know where they come in on the corruption list at present or back then but in 2012 they didn't feature in either the best or worst :

post-12069-0-36459100-1410697784_thumb.j

Note which Dept was said to be the most corrupt.

Interesting that the NLA members support these measures as most if not all of them would be subject to these inheritance and gift laws.

I note from reading on the subject that this has been done twice before when precious military Govts introduced inheritance tax only to have them repealed as soon as a civilian Govt was elected.

What are you talking about? You compared

"So, an NLA committee has a draft and NLA members collect information for the upcoming debate" with

"the MPs are supposed to gather basic information for the upcoming debate".

Can you not see the difference and why I pointed it out that the OP stated that the NLA members are supposed to gather basic information for the upcoming debate.?

Sheesh. tuzki-bunny-emoticon-043.gif

and where did MP's even come into it, we're talking about a junta appointed NLA. They're NLA members not MP's.

And then voting the way that Thaksin wanted with no objections at all.

He was the real PM when the PTP were power, wasn't he and not just a caddy?

If only my post was about Thaksin and you actually understood the nuance involved in the adjective "supposed", you would have a point.

It wasn't and you don't.

• Like 1

So what do you suggest, that everyone gives up because there is so much corruption? I think it's better to sort out all the problems, which is what the current administration is starting to do. Most people want a better country and are working hard to achieve that. Of course it won't be easy, but I have infinitely more respect for those that are trying to change things than for people like you who have such a negative attitude.

And where's your proof to back up your accusation about the Revenue Department?

What are you talking about? You compared

"So, an NLA committee has a draft and NLA members collect information for the upcoming debate" with

"the MPs are supposed to gather basic information for the upcoming debate".

Can you not see the difference and why I pointed it out that the OP stated that the NLA members are supposed to gather basic information for the upcoming debate.?

Sheesh.

and where did MP's even come into it, we're talking about a junta appointed NLA. They're NLA members not MP's.

Obtuse and obdurate, I think those words give a proper description of your behaviour here.

You wondered with ""true reflection of the rubber stamp nature of the NLA just going through the motions"

using "NLA members are supposed to gather basic information for the upcoming debate" as base for the wondering.
I merely did some wondering myself, especially about the 'rubber stamp' aspect. It would seem the sentence which made you wonder only needs to have "NLA members" replaced by "MPs" and we can do the same wondering about the previous government.

the NLA will rubber stamp everything the great leader will proposes.. let us not forget the NLA is formed with all of his military cronies... bah.gif

Pray tell, what do you mean with the term "cronies" ?

Following you might want to tell us what you think about the topic itself, inheritance tax law and so.

Edited by rubl

The word on the backside is this: "Go ahead. Pass an inheritance tax law. But make sure you leave open a loophole so the assets can be given as gifts tax-free beforehand."

Duh!!

it need'nt be a loop hole it exist's in the uk you can give 7,000 pound as a tax free gift 7 years before you die, unless osbourn has done away with that for non resident ex pat's yet

From what I have been told by several Westerners working and doing business in Thailand, the Revenue Dept. has the most efficient and up to date IT system in the government. I know of a few who were prevented from exiting the country at the airport until questions about unpaid taxes were resolved.

That’s great that their so efficient in the Revenue Dept. I’m thrilled they know everything about our income, expenses and investments and are so efficient at collecting the tax we are obligated to pay.

I’m certain the Revenue Dept.’s conduct with the funds they collect is unquestionably truthful. It should then be very easy for the Dept. to set an example for the public and engage in the same form of information exchange with us and disclose their income, expenses and investments for all to see.

So what do you suggest, that everyone gives up because there is so much corruption? I think it's better to sort out all the problems, which is what the current administration is starting to do. Most people want a better country and are working hard to achieve that. Of course it won't be easy, but I have infinitely more respect for those that are trying to change things than for people like you who have such a negative attitude.

And where's your proof to back up your accusation about the Revenue Department?

One independent source is Global Advice Network ( GAN ) Business Anti-Corruption Portal

• Like 1