Can I ride a motorbike in Phuket with my international driver's license for car?

hermesalpha

Can I ride a motorbike in Phuket with my international driver's license (in English) for car?

It was no problems with the rental store last time I was in Phuket, he just remarked that I had not the motorbike license but ordinary driver's license for car.

What would the Thai police say if they stop me and ask to see my driver's license and then find out it's a driver's license for car and not for riding a motorbike?

Would they fine me and if so, how much?

I'd prefer to rent a cheap jeep (monthly rent), but I think it would cost much more each month compared to a motorbike (which I found a rental store that rent for only 2,500 baht per month, reliable store also in Chalong).

The normal fine for driving without a license here is 500 Baht.

The rental shop won't care, their bikes probably aren't insured anyway. You will have to pay personally for any damage yourself.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

I agree with previous 2 posters. Rental shop could not care whether you have a license or not. Police might have a good look at your home license. But I doubt if they would notice if car or bike endorsed. Your biggest problem would be in the event of an accident. You would be illegally driving a motor bike.

I never had a problem when I first arrived here, showing a UK car driving licence. And I was once told of an officer accepting a Padi Diving licence at a road side checkpoint. LOL. Of course, I now have proper Thai car and motorbike licences. Which isn't rocket science to achieve.

I also agree with the previous posts. The police often let tourists get away with a car license at the checkpoints.

Also, an international drivers permit is not required in Thailand.

What exactly do you mean "International Drivers License." There is no such thing. Do you mean the IDP? Do you have a card that actually says "International Drivers License" on it?

Edited by NomadJoe

I agree with previous 2 posters. Rental shop could not care whether you have a license or not. Police might have a good look at your home license. But I doubt if they would notice if car or bike endorsed. Your biggest problem would be in the event of an accident. You would be illegally driving a motor bike.

It really wouldn't make any difference riding a rental motorbike. There's zero insurance anyway!

I also agree with the previous posts. The police often let tourists get away with a car license at the checkpoints.

What exactly do you mean "International Drivers License." There is no such thing. Do you mean the IDP? Do you have a card that actually says "International Drivers License" on it?

'an international drivers permit is not required in Thailand.' That's a joke right?

It really wouldn't make any difference riding a rental motorbike. There's zero insurance anyway!

Not correct.

True, the motorbike will very, very likely only have the compulsory and very limited insurance, but:

1. travel insurance will quite often cover motorbike accidents, including own costs plus 3rd party;

2. health insurance will also sometimes cover

But nearly always license will be required for cover.

• Like 1

'an international drivers permit is not required in Thailand.' That's a joke right?

No, very true. Home license is valid provided: license is in English, is valid, has photo.

• Like 1

No, very true. Home license is valid provided: license is in English, is valid, has photo.

Seems I'm a bit out of date! This certainly wasn't the case many years back when I first arrived on these shores. So basically, an old paper licence (without photo) cannot be used, but a valid plastic licence - with photo, is accepted. My sister and family will be very happy to know that when they next visit smile.png

• Like 1

I rode a motocross in my homecountry on the countryside when I was a teenager, 125 cc, no problems to handle it. It tried here in Phuket for 3 days, worked fine, also at Chalong circle. Was going to the shore at night later, from Karon and Kata and southwards, but it wasn't the best idea, somebody told me they often rob lone drivers along that stretch along the coast during evenings. I mainly need a motorbike or jeep for short trips, going to the supermarket in daytime, to the beach in the weekend.

I rode a motocross in my homecountry on the countryside when I was a teenager, 125 cc, no problems to handle it. It tried here in Phuket for 3 days, worked fine, also at Chalong circle. Was going to the shore at night later, from Karon and Kata and southwards, but it wasn't the best idea, somebody told me they often rob lone drivers along that stretch along the coast during evenings. I mainly need a motorbike or jeep for short trips, going to the supermarket in daytime, to the beach in the weekend.

If living here a Thai license is required. Home license (with our without IDP) is only valid for 3 months (or officially 90 days I think).

Yes, the rental shop won't care, the police might care and might not.

Just take into account that in case of an accident you're driving a vehicle without a valid license, which can have serious consequences.

In case of an accident never admit that you didn't carry a license. Tell them that bad spirits took your license right after the accident and they said they were going to be back for more.

If living here a Thai license is required. Home license (with our without IDP) is only valid for 3 months (or officially 90 days I think).
What is the definition of "living here".

No.

Seems I'm a bit out of date! This certainly wasn't the case many years back when I first arrived on these shores. So basically, an old paper licence (without photo) cannot be used, but a valid plastic licence - with photo, is accepted. My sister and family will be very happy to know that when they next visit smile.png

There is one other requirement that in practice will probably never matter: The country the foreigner was issued the drivers license from and Thailand must have an agreement in place for the mutual acceptance of licenses. That list can be found here. https://treaties.un.org/doc/Publication/MTDSG/Volume%20I/Chapter%20XI/XI-B-1.en.pdf

• Like 1

A bit bigger than passport size, there are 2 versions of it you can get depending on country (Thailand only uses version which lasts for 1 year only, the other version lasts for 3 years). Grey colour.

I'm not sure how it works in reality when I get stopped, if the police really checks how long I have been here. Just that for this random checks like at Chalong Circle I can show them a driver's license and they let me through. Do you think they would hold me longer after they've seen my driver's license and take me aside if I have stayed for more than 90 days (because I should then have a Thai driver's license)?

I checked now, I can't get a Thai driver's license with just a tourist visa, must have a non-immigrant visa (O?).

Don't forget that in case of a accident while riding without proper license you will get problems with your insurance.

Amy Thai insurance or your private insurance will probable will not pay anything when you don't have a valid DL.

Do you want to take the risk specially if you see how they (Thai and Farang) drive on the roads.

An International Drivers Licence is only a certified copy of your driving licence in your home country .It is not a stand alone license as such. If you do not have a motorcycle licence in your home country then you do not automatically gain one when you step foot in Thailand . It maybe that you can hire motorcycles from small operators but if you hire a car from Hertz or any of the other international based hire companies they will often ask to see your licence. Same as the police . Also check the conditions of your travel insurance or medical insurance - you may not be covered for any injuries .

True, the motorbike will very, very likely only have the compulsory and very limited insurance, but:

1. travel insurance will quite often cover motorbike accidents, including own costs plus 3rd party;

All true, but any claim on the insurance attached to the Porobor takes some time, the process with travel insurance is normally you pay and reclaim when you get home and health insurance will normally over cover your medical expenses if you are hurt in an accident.

If you are unlucky enough to have an accident it will expected for recompense to be made before you leave The Kingdom. In practice this means if your in a smash then you pay for everything.

Incidentally, if you're in a small knock and break some lights or similar, you should consider taking the bike to a dealer in Phuket Town rather than Patong (you were in Phuket right? I forgot as I wrote the reply!). You will find that a light lens will be 300 baht as opposed to maybe 3000 at the hire company?

SDM

Edited by SDM0712
  • Like 1

I checked now, I can't get a Thai driver's license with just a tourist visa, must have a non-immigrant visa (O?).

I tried to get one years ago when I was still a tourist and the problem I ran into was getting a certificate of residence. I was staying in a hotel.

SDM

I tried to get one years ago when I was still a tourist and the problem I ran into was getting a certificate of residence. I was staying in a hotel.

SDM

You can get a certificate of residence while stating in a hotel.

You will need a receipt from the hotel with the hotel address on it.

No problem what so ever.

Edited by merijn

I never got that far, it really didn't seem worth it for a four week holiday. Easier to use a UK licence with an IDP rather than spend a day at the licencing centre after an hour at immigration to get the certificate of residence!

All true, but any claim on the insurance attached to the Porobor takes some time, the process with travel insurance is normally you pay and reclaim when you get home and health insurance will normally over cover your medical expenses if you are hurt in an accident.

If you are unlucky enough to have an accident it will expected for recompense to be made before you leave The Kingdom. In practice this means if your in a smash then you pay for everything.

Incidentally, if you're in a small knock and break some lights or similar, you should consider taking the bike to a dealer in Phuket Town rather than Patong (you were in Phuket right? I forgot as I wrote the reply!). You will find that a light lens will be 300 baht as opposed to maybe 3000 at the hire company?

SDM

If quoting please leave the original quote in place. You have deleted the quote I replied to, and stand alone this really does not make sense.

• Like 1