North Korea sentences American to 6 years in labor camp

Lite Beer

North Korea sentences American to 6 years in labor camp

SEOUL, South Korea – North Korea said Sunday, September 14, it had sentenced detained American Matthew Miller to six years of hard labor for "hostile" acts against Pyongyang.

"He committed acts hostile to the (North) while entering the territory of the (North) under the guise of a tourist last April," the state-run Korean Central News Agency said in a statement.

Miller was arrested in April after he allegedly ripped up his visa at immigration and demanded asylum.

Source: http://www.rappler.com/world/regions/asia-pacific/69084-north-korea-matthew-miller-sentence

– Rappler.com 2014-09-14

What is missing on this story?

If I want asylum for any weird reason than I don't rip up the visa. Tearing official documents is in many countries seen badly.

If I would be the NK dictator I would make some propaganda.....let him speak his reason for asylum on TV and portray myself as human right defender (NK just made such a move, as comical as it seems) and lock him up somewhere safe later.

Or if he is too weird I just put him into the next airplane home.

• Like 2

If I want asylum for any weird reason than I don't rip up the visa. Tearing official documents is in many countries seen badly.

If I would be the NK dictator I would make some propaganda.....let him speak his reason for asylum on TV and portray myself as human right defender (NK just made such a move, as comical as it seems) and lock him up somewhere safe later.

Yes, Flushing your passport after you arrive is the normal way to do it.

It's all very odd.

BTW, what happened to the dude that conveniently "forgot" his Bible in a toilet around the same time?

It's all very odd.

BTW, what happened to the dude that conveniently "forgot" his Bible in a toilet around the same time?

Flushing your passport is something different, because different countries document.

Tearing up a visa is like burning the flag or other national important things......Not my point of view but nationalists are allergic on that.....

Russian media report that he wanted to experience jail so he can later report on human right issues. Don't know if that is true but it would change the story.....

It's all very odd.

... the bible-bloke awaits trial, according to:

http://www.aljazeera.com/video/asia-pacific/2014/09/north-korea-holds-trial-american-tourist-201491451857466396.html

... obviously not the best of all places to 'leave' your book of books of books;

Couldn't happen to me anyway as SciFi is no reading matter of mine, not even on the crapper ...

Lucky him that he forgot it in NK and not in Saudi Arabia.....

I think we are all jumping the gun a bit here. The story about him tearing up his visa and asking for asylum is from North Korea. North Korea needs US hostages at the moment in order to get the US to sit at the same table as them. If you watch the latest CNN interview with this young guy, he is clearly under duress and his answers are not those one would expect unless he is under threat. Watch the interview, watch the body language. It has been scripted and he has clearly had to repeat his answers over and over again until he was given permission to be interviewed. This is a set up job by NK. Even if he is a nut job, he is a US citizen and needs assistance right now. Let's see some of the patriotism we are forever hearing of.

I think we are all jumping the gun a bit here. The story about him tearing up his visa and asking for asylum is from North Korea. North Korea needs US hostages at the moment in order to get the US to sit at the same table as them. If you watch the latest CNN interview with this young guy, he is clearly under duress and his answers are not those one would expect unless he is under threat. Watch the interview, watch the body language. It has been scripted and he has clearly had to repeat his answers over and over again until he was given permission to be interviewed. This is a set up job by NK. Even if he is a nut job, he is a US citizen and needs assistance right now. Let's see some of the patriotism we are forever hearing of.

Why is he talking like he's trying to send a message that needs to be decoded?

What I think, he's crazy.

Yeah the message could be "dear America, I f###ed up, I should have stayed the f##k away from NK, please come and get my sorry ass out of here".

The kid doesn't look like he has enough balls to do something he's being accused of.

• Like 1

Again and again, he has legs that he control, he should be responsible for where he lands at. Go to a zoo and jump into a lion's den, then cry for help. Tax payer's money? Nah, I rather him fed to the lion, that way we can save on zoo food supplies.

His facial expression is so weird though. When he's talking, it's like he is possessed. Then when the interviewer actually asks him personal questions disregarding "NK's message". The boy truly becomes a boy when he looks at the interviewer, sad, begging for hope, innocent face. But once he starts talking again, it's gone.

^ Sorry there's ZERO Sci in that book, but a lot of Fi. wink.png

You are living in darkness :-(

... 'eternal' darkness would be appropriate, you also neglected the 'fires of hell' raining down (or up?) and whatnot ...!

Well, even more so it was a mistake to 'forget' it, would certainly have been of some use to him right now as sort of an ersatz-torchlight then with all the powercuts there and inconvenience of the likes ...

However, i stand enlightened (sic!) as to why he took it to the toilet in the first place, after all nobody want's to sit there surrounded by darkness now, do we ... as if the circumfluent smell wasn't bad enough already ... agreed, that's fairly comprehensible & thus will be used by his defense attorney - who was flewn in from the Vatican after another bit of a fundraiser i hear - too (in court i mean, not at the locus).

Edited by jollyhangmon

^ Sorry there's ZERO Sci in that book, but a lot of Fi. wink.png

You are living in darkness :-(

... 'eternal' darkness would be appropriate, you also neglected the 'fires of hell' raining down (or up?) and whatnot ...!

Well, even more so it was a mistake to 'forget' it, would certainly have been of some use to him right now as sort of an ersatz-torchlight then with all the powercuts there and inconvenience of the likes ...

However, i stand enlightened (sic!) as to why he took it to the toilet in the first place, after all nobody want's to sit there surrounded by darkness now, do we ... as if the circumfluent smell wasn't bad enough already ... agreed, that's fairly comprehensible & thus will be used by his defense attorney - who was flewn in from the Vatican after another bit of a fundraiser i hear - too (in court i mean, not at the locus).

Huh???

The FBI, CIA, and NSA, are frantically working in an effort to decode this young man's body language and eye movements. Evidentially, right after the interview he was reported to have suck his right index finger into his nose. The agency heads are not certain if that was part of the coded message or something he picked up while living in Thailand.

Very strange. He is speaking with an accent of some sort or he has/had a speech impediment. Folk from Bakersfield don't sound like that. IMHO