GrabTaxi’s Pattaya launch @ Ocean Marina Yacht Club – Wednesday 17th September 2014

InspirePattaya

Okay, I've got four GrabTaxi trips under my belt and three out of four drivers tried to "work the system" (I guess some would say "scam"?) until they realized I kinda knew the system and have GrabTaxi on speed dial on my phone.

There needs to be some adjustment in the "estimated fare" function as it quotes rather high. The estimated fare DOES include the B40 service charge but does NOT include the B100 charge that applies to journeys over 6km. They really should fix that. (And, yes, I'm finally going to get around to writing them with feedback.)

Examples of the wrong estimated fare:

Trip #1: Actual meter fare B44 + B40 = B84
Trip #1: Estimated fare: B112-168

Trip #2: Actual meter fare: B66* + B40 = B106
Trip #2: Estimated fare: B111-166

Trip #3: Actual meter fare: B60 + B40 = B100
Trip #3: Estimated fare: B120 - 180

Trip #4: Actual meter fare: B36 + B40 = B76
Trip #4: Estimated fare: B89-133

*Trip #2 note: He took a slightly longer route from Jomtien to the Dusit Thani via Sukhumvit vs Pattaya Second Road, but justified it saying it would faster, and smoother, making reference to the construction zone that currently Second Road is. I actually agreed and didn't mind. My point is that it was a longer-than-direct route and it still came in under the bottom limit of GrabTaxi's estimated fare.

Now about the "working the system" angles:

Trip #2: Taxi picked me up at my condo and as we were pulling out of the driveway I noticed the meter was not on. He said, his "meter not work right" and didn't show the fare that the GrabTaxi app showed. (Which is why I'm going to push for more accurate estimates on the app -- drivers feel they aren't getting the right fare?) After a bit of cajoling, he used the meter with no further comments.

Also, he had so many of those flower garlands hanging the mirror it *almost* completely obscured the meter. Coincidence? You decide.

Trip #3: When I got in the taxi, I noticed the meter already showed 1.1km on the meter. The old trick from the airport where some drivers start the meter running waaay before they pick up a passenger. Since it was "only" 1.1km, I let it slide.

Trip #4: When I got in the taxi at Tesco Lotus for a 3km ride to my condo, the meter already had 6km on it, with a fare of (IIRC) B50. That was enough of a discrepancy for me to speak up, so I asked him to reset the meter. He clearly said the meter starts when they "leave the station." Hmmmm. I picked up my phone and was calling GrabTaxi when he pushed the button to reset the meter. No further comments about it.

So, be alert for such antics. None of the drivers seemed confrontational, and didn't react negatively when I politely asked them to follow the correct procedure. I really really want this system to work, and I think I can pretty much fend for myself, but others who are new to the system and/or don't understand how it's supposed to work might be scalped a bit.

GrabTaxi Customer Service has been great. On the last three rides, they called me either before the taxi arrived or shortly after it did arrive to make sure I understood how it worked. They speak good English and made it clear they would negotiate with the driver if necessary. So far, though I came close today to asking them to do so, I haven't needed to. I have the BKK customer service number and the number of a rep in Pattaya on my phone, "just in case."

I'm hoping this service is not a flash in the pan, and sticks around. I got a comfortable, air conditioned ride from Tesco to my condo for B76, rather than using the sawng-taew pickup trip taxi from the Tesco parking lot that bounces along for B250 (or more, if I'm too lazy to protest.) Ideally I'd like to eventually to be able to flag down a metered taxi (non GrabTaxi) for only B36, but GrabTaxi is a reasonable compromise. There is a nice audit trail of the journey saved on your phone, and in GrabTaxi's system, for accountability which can only help to keep things reasonable. (I hope!)

[edited to add:] And, that audit trail works both ways. They know your name and phone number, and in my case, where I live. So, be mindful about p*ssing off a bunch of drivers with nasty reports to GrabTaxi. Just sayin'.

Edited by wpcoe

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tried the service last night for the first time, from Jomtien to a bar in Central Pattaya then back home later. Much later laugh.png

Getting from Jomtien to my destination was fantastic, no problems at all and everything the App promises worked perfectly. The meter fare was about 72 Baht + the 40 Baht booking fee + I tipped the driver 40 Baht for a job well done which he truly appreciated . Rating: 10/10.

Getting home, the taxi didn't even have a meter and he wanted 250 Baht. I showed him the quote of something like 85 to 142 Baht the App quoted, and begrudgingly he said the fare was 142 Baht. Being well pissed at this time and in no mood to argue with thieving pricks, I paid him exactly 142 Baht. Rating: 0/10.

I don't use taxis much, have my own car(s), and my girl normally drives me anywhere if I'm going to get on the sauce. But I wanted to see if the service worked so my girl need not worry about staying up late waiting for a text to come and get me when drinking nights turn out to be later than expected. I think I'll trash the idea of using them again for a month before seeing if they can weed out the drivers that don't care about how things are suppose to work. If they can get them off the radar and have a large pool of honest drivers available, the service will do very well. If they can't get rid of them, it'll tank in no time.

Did you report this ? did you compare his car plate with the plate that was confirmed to you via the APP ? was his Taxi licence with his name clearly displayed and readable ? Grabtaxi does not use or accept illegal unlicensed Cabs with no Meter !

If nobody reports such incidents, the old conditions will be back sooner than you all want.

Same goes for extraorbitant "tips". why tip a huge amount if he already gets his share of the booking fee. what a nonsense.

oh, and BTW, this app is not in a "BETA" state...... maybe it is BETA as for the locations listed in Pattaya, but that APP is on the market since many years.

I am using it since years in both KL as well as Manila (in KL it is called MYTEKSI) and it is a GODSEND !

if it fails in Thailand, particularly in tourist places, then this is largely the fault of ignorant passengers who do not report drivers not sticking 100% to the rules. because GRABTAXI WILL TAKE ACTION against those drivers quickly !

you know what - in KL they kicked out plenty of dishonest drivers in the early days of the APP, who thought they can continue their rip-off games. now, 2-3 years later, the number of drivers has sky-rocketed.

In the beginning, I had 100% Malay drivers. It was not before after two years when I had the first ethnic Indian driver. U have to know that Indian drivers had and have a very bad reputation about not using the meters - but now even they do when accepting rides via MYTEKSI, as they have realized that they actually earn more money when sticking to the rules.

(BTW: Just to avoid missunderstanding - I have nothing against Indian in general or any other Asian race)

from the looks of this thread:

is this really worth it?

or is it just a matter of time to iron out the bugs (bwahahahahaha)

The taxi drivers will adjust strategies. Is there any doubt?

Thai culture.

Then those drivers will not be part of the Grabtaxi system for a long time...... simply as that.....

• 3 weeks later...

Just a shameless bump to try to keep this thread active. I really, really want GrabTaxi to work and stick around, and am surprised there have been no more reports about it.

I've used it nine times so far, and have had some repeat drivers who remembered me, so I tend to think they're not getting used a lot. Or, maybe I'm just so darned cute. crazy.gif

I did send off a message to support about adjusting the estimated fare shown in the app to match reality.

I was curious how the baht bus "mafia" (who apparently control the metered taxis) would feel about GrabTaxi, and one time when passing the Pattaya Tai corner by the school where the Jomtien-bound bus queue is, my driver slowed down and exchanged pleasantries with a couple drivers there, so I guess there's no bad blood?

I had a problem with the map function, too, but oddly only the very first time I used it. Ever since then, the function to use my current location as the origin has been accurate, and for every destination I wanted, the search function has also been accurate. The functionality seemed to have improved even without updating the app.

Also, now that I've gone to/from most of the places I visit, the "Frequent" tab has all those places saved.

Another issue I had, but again only on the very first time I used it, was "no taxis available." The screen showed several within close proximity, but apparently they all declined. I kept re-submitting the request and finally one driver accepted me. It was rush hour and maybe they were hoping for a higher non-GrabTaxi fare?

When I get a GrabTaxi from Central Festival, I use the Police Station as my pick-up point. Avoids confusion about just where you are (Second Road or Beach Road) and I want to avoid the baht bus stop on Beach Road directly in front of Central Festival as it always seems to be double parked and the taxi might have problems picking up there?

Hi guys,

I’m a representative of GrabTaxi and I’m here to clarify the questions/issues that some of you have regarding our service here in Pattaya.

Our Aim:

We want to provide safety and convenience for anyone looking to book taxis with the added assurance that the drivers adhere to a strict pricing policy (explained in detailed below). Everyone should have a peace of mind for safe, certain and fast taxi rides without the need to haggle.

Is our service local?

Yes, it is. We’re a service provider with the GrabTaxi app serving as a platform for both drivers and passengers.

We work closely with local drivers –both individual and fleet- in Pattaya. But the drivers aren’t employed by us, and they don’t have to work exclusively for GrabTaxi. But by using our service, they’re able to run more frequent jobs, helping with the payment to fleet owners whom the drivers rent their cars from.

Drivers spend less time driving around aimlessly looking for passengers as the app efficiently dispatches them to customers who are in need of a taxi service.

Our Fare Structure:

Our estimated fares are based on the government-regulated standard metered rate, which starts at 30THB. On top of that, we also charge a booking fee of 40 THB, which is also regulated by the Ministry of Transport.

For trips within 0-6km, we charge a service fee of 40THB. For longer trips (6-15KM), the service fee is 140THB. All service fees go directly to our drivers.

The higher service fee for trips beyond 6KM supports the drivers who often have to drive an empty car on the return journey.

However, for trips 15KM and above, we charge a fixed rate instead. <need more input on why and how to go about getting the fixed rate. Do passengers haggle?>

The estimated fare shown in the app is calculated based on distance as well as traffic.

Issues that you may experience and what you can do:

We rolled out GrabTaxi in Pattaya in September and realised that there have been teething issues. We’re working hard to solve them.

- Mapping Problems

Some of you may have experienced difficulty in locating the exact pick-up and/or drop-off location. The best way to deal with this is to choose the closest possible destination. Once the booking has been made, call the driver and provide him with the exact location.

Alternatively, our customer service personnel is more than happy to communicate with the driver on your behalf if language is a barrier,

- Meter vs Fixed Fare Rate

We have a tiered system based on the distance. Shorter trips (below 15KM radius), we charge according to the standard metered rate. For long distance trips (above 15KM), it’ll be a fixed fare.

Short distance travel

• Within 6 KM = 40THB booking fee + Meter fare (starts at 30THB)
  • Between 6 and 15 KM = 140THB booking fees + Meter fare (starts at 30THB)

The driver must/should turn on the meter once you enter the taxi. If a driver tries to charge a fixed rate (as seen from a few complaints in this thread), please insist on the metered rate, and report the driver to customer service. Your feedback is important to help us weed out errant drivers.

Long distance travel

• Above 15 KM = Fixed rate (Please call our customer service who’ll assist you)

GrabTaxi is here to provide the best and fairest service to our customers. We acknowledge that there are some flaws in our system. Bear with us as we fix the problems.

Thanks everyone for your comments. We take each one seriously as it helps us better our service. GrabTaxi is here to stay as we want to be a realistic solution to Pattaya’s public transportation problems.

Thanks again for your support. Stay awesome. If you have any suggestions, kindly email us at support[email protected]

• 3 months later...

I wonder if there are members with recent (read: year 2015) experiences using or trying to use GrabTaxi in Pattaya.

Grabtaxi or MyTeksi as it is called in Malaysia where they actually hail from are big in partying and loud-mouthed launching new locations only to back-off subdued after a few weeks.

this is what happened in both Kota Kinabalu and Kuching on Malaysian Borneo, where they haven't been able to wipe-out the local Transport-Mafia successfully and the App more or less vanished into thin Air just a few months after it had been launched....

I have used them twice rhis week with very positive results,

trip 1 went from Gullivers Tavern beach road soi 1 to Central park village on Soi 89, about 7kms , lovely lady driver, very pleasant, fare and communication was excellent, approx 260 baht total

2nd trip was from Pratamnak soi4 to central pk again, fare was approx 240 baht

In both cases we got the car number and the driver called me to confirm,

Great, hope it continues

trip 1 went from Gullivers Tavern beach road soi 1 to Central park village on Soi 89, about 7kms , lovely lady driver, very pleasant, fare and communication was excellent, approx 260 baht total

Great, hope it continues

260 Baht for a 7 km run ? I am having a good laugh. what a giant rip-off! is GRAB TAXI PATTAYA owned by the local BAHT BUS MAFIA now ?

any regular Meter Taxi far for a 7 km trip should be no more than 80-90 Baht at most........

So let's face it: GRAB TAXI makes even the extortionate yellow-blue not-using-Meter Cabs in Pattaya that have been operating there since many years look like a bargain.....

any regular Meter Taxi far for a 7 km trip should be no more than 80-90 Baht at most........

Ah, but there's the rub. You canNOT get a metered taxi to use its meter in Pattaya. That trip would probably be a negotiated B300+ fare with a Pattaya "metered taxi."

It's gotta be good for anyone going back to BKK.

When the driver drops and waits. If got a pretty booking option.

Locals I'm not too sure.

Good point. In the past Bangkok drivers who had dropped off in Pattaya hated to go back empty, and I have been in many a taxi where the driver complained bitterly about the consolidator service in the town...Mafia a word I often heard! They had to pay the consolidator for the fare, and then there was arguments about the agreed price to the passenger and whether that included the tolls or not.

I have just downloaded the APP but surprised there isn't an option to plug in a 'Home' location (destination), as in pick me up and take me home!

Edited by jacko45k

Ah, but there's the rub. You canNOT get a metered taxi to use its meter in Pattaya. That trip would probably be a negotiated B300+ fare with a Pattaya "metered taxi."

And you would have to walk to Central Festival or the Avenue where the taxi ranks are.

I thought the 260baht to be picked up and taken 7km was reasonable.

Edited by jacko45k

And you would have to walk to Central Festival or the Avenue where the taxi ranks are.

Relative to the local competition, it is.

Relative to Bangkok rates, it isn't.

Great, hope it continues

260 Baht for a 7 km run ? I am having a good laugh. what a giant rip-off! is GRAB TAXI PATTAYA owned by the local BAHT BUS MAFIA now ?

So let's face it: GRAB TAXI makes even the extortionate yellow-blue not-using-Meter Cabs in Pattaya that have been operating there since many years look like a bargain.....

So you routinely take metered taxi's in Pattaya and pay less than 100 baht?

I routinely take GRAB taxi, where the driver often drives ~5 km just to come and pick me up and then drives me the ~7 km to drop me off. This costs around 260 baht...sometimes less. I tried to get the same yellow-blue to take me home the other night (that was on the street in front of me) and they wanted 350 baht. I walked 20 feet and the next guy said 300. I said 250 and he said no. I got out my phone to use grab taxi and told him that and he finally agreed to 250.

GrabTaxi has changed the fare system for Pattaya. Originally they would use the meter and add B40 (and B100 for longer journeys). No more.

In the past I noted that the meter fare + surcharges were always lower than the estimated fare the GrabTaxi app gave.

Today, the driver would not use the meter and said the fare would be the one quoted in the app. The one that says "ESTIMATED." whistling.gif This was a route I'd taken with GrabTaxi in October and the fare was "ESTIMATED THB86-129" (including the B40 surcharge.) I do not recall the actual fare, but I do recall the actual fares on *all* my trips were less than the app's estimate.

Today, the app said "ESTIMATED THB130" for the 3.1km ride, and that's what I had to pay. At least B40 more than previously.

After I got home I called the GrabTaxi folks here in Pattaya and they said that they no longer use the meter and for High Season they now use a higher rate in the app. Their High Season lasts until 30-April. She said they had problems in Pattaya with folks not understanding that they had to pay B40 in addition to the meter fare. Huh? In Bangkok apparently it works. But not in Pattaya?

Like Jingthing said, it's relative. Relative to the "mafia" it's still cheaper. But, it's not a cheap as it was before. Greed is powerful, it seems.

Relative to the local competition, it is.

Relative to Bangkok rates, it isn't.

The law applies to any place / town in the country

Tourist spots (traps?) are not excluded. If they don't adhere to the rules, they should not be allowed to operate. Same as the Crackdown at Suvarnabhumi. But I know, this is probably only a dream that will never come true.....

Thailand is lacking a reputable Taxi business such as Bluebird in Indonesia. If you board a Bluebird, there will not be the smallest doubt that the driver immediately switches on the Meter without saying a word, and refusing to go to certain destinations is unheard of - even in Bali !

Interesting though, that Thailands most reputable Bus-Transport-Company NCA (Nakhonchai AIR) just started a Taxi App for Bangkok with officially registered Cabs....

• 2 months later...

Trip #4: Actual meter fare: B36 + B40 = B76

Trip #4: Estimated fare: B89-133

Just to illustrate how much the GrabTaxi program has changed for Pattaya:

The Trip #4 quoted above from 09-Oct-2014 was a total of B76 (including the B40 service charge) for the 3km trip from Tesco Lotus to my condo.

Today I took the exact same trip and the total price was B135.

Last February I was advised that the system was changed from the original "meter fare + B40" pricing and that there were High Season rates in effect until May 1.

Well, it's after May 1 now, so supposedly they are now using Low Season rates, which is still an increase of over 75% above the original rate.

I understand that in Bangkok GrabTaxi still uses "meter fare + service charge." Why is Pattaya comparatively such a rip off?

Tourist spots (traps?) are not excluded. If they don't adhere to the rules, they should not be allowed to operate. Same as the Crackdown at Suvarnabhumi. But I know, this is probably only a dream that will never come true.....

Thailand is lacking a reputable Taxi business such as Bluebird in Indonesia. If you board a Bluebird, there will not be the smallest doubt that the driver immediately switches on the Meter without saying a word, and refusing to go to certain destinations is unheard of - even in Bali !

Interesting though, that Thailands most reputable Bus-Transport-Company NCA (Nakhonchai AIR) just started a Taxi App for Bangkok with officially registered Cabs....

With every post you just confirm that you do not live in Pattaya

With every post you just confirm that you do not live in Pattaya

of course I don't live in Pattaya. I never said I live in Pattaya. I live in Bangkok, away from the tourist spots, and travel to Pattaya once or twice a year, and I always make sure to stay at a place on the Baht Bus route to avoid such ludicrous transport-rip-offs. I have better things to do with my money than feeding some local corrupt and greedy politicians or policemen who swallow all the teamoney they extort from the Cabbies or Motocy-drivers, who then subsequently extort it from their passeng..... ERRRR, from their VICTIMS.

And when in Phuket or Samui, I always rent a car for usually less than 800 Baht from avis or budget, which is less than using a scammer Cab two times per day.

But if you are happy to pay 260 Baht for a 7 km ride (just to compare: riding the 25 KM to Swampy from my home costs no more than 200 Baht on a metered cab), then pls continue to do so. Just don' forget that not all Farang are "2-week-millionaires" here and some of us just live a regular Asian life with according income and expenses.

and just for your information: the gasoline in Pattaya does not cost three times as much as in Bangkok

Edited by siam2007

• 2 weeks later...

I complained back in February to the GrabTaxi rep who had called me and the pricing doesn't seem to have changed.

Originally I saw GrabTaxi as a service I would use frequently. Very frequently. Due to their change of pricing in Pattaya, I only use them once every couple months when in the balance their now-higher price seems a better value than the pickup-truck-in-the-Tesco-parking-lot sawng-taew.

That said, however, I still find the drivers professional and friendly with good English skills and the cars to be clean with working seat/shoulder belts.

to be fair the law only mandate the use of meters within Bangkok, everywhere else is 'fair game'

which makes the existence of metered taxis in Chonburi City and Pattaya a joke, (Phuket too?) it's there but the driver don't have to use them....

I hope Uber starts doing something in Pattaya soon,

the price of 'negotiated' taxis in Pattaya cost just as much as Uber Black in Bangkok which uses much nicer cars

There's a lot of hotel limousines sitting idle all day in many 4stars+ hotel in town, if Uber can make arrangements with them like in Bangkok, that'd be another nice option

I used to use grab taxi a few times a week...now I don't use them hardly at all. I put in the request and 85% of the time they don't even bid on it now. I guess the drivers have given up as well.