Thai Commerce Minister to consider plans to reduce cost of living

webfact

Commerce Minister to consider plans to reduce cost of living

BANGKOK, 15 September 2014 (NNT) - Today is the first day in office of several ministers including Commerce Minister Chatchai Sarikalya.

Permanent Secretary for Commerce Chutima Bunyapraphasara said she will raise to General Chatchai’s attention three urgent tasks when they meet this morning at the ministry.

The tasks include guidelines to reduce the cost of living, the acceleration of negotiations under various cooperation frameworks made with foreign countries and plans to boost Thai exports.

Ms. Chutima added that minister-counselors for commercial affairs stationed at Thai embassies worldwide will be called to a meeting in Bangkok this month to formulate export stimulating plans for the last quarter of this year and also for 2015.

Ms. Chutima also gave her opinion that a military supervision of the national economic affairs should result in greater efficiency as seen from the performance of the National Council for Peace and Order during the past few months which has speedily reduced the severity of many problems.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-15 footer_n.gif

The last adjustment to the 'minimum wage' was in January 2013. Isn't is about time to plan a new 'inflation' adjustment for January 2015?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't you complain about the raising of the minimum wage by the PTP government? Something about being populist?

• Like 2

Leave the living costs to look after themselves, any false level will come back to haunt you big time when they have to return to normal after you have stuffed the economy, the only way to lower cost of living is to lower prices , never seen that happen, not yet ..coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Leave the living costs to look after themselves, any false level will come back to haunt you big time when they have to return to normal after you have stuffed the economy, the only way to lower cost of living is to lower prices , never seen that happen, not yet ..coffee1.gif

Exactly; only the investing of surplus capital in productive assets will result in lower prices. All attempts to distort the economy with subsidies, wage and price controls, money printing, tariffs etc are mathematically doomed to failure. Many countries are going to get a demonstration of that again soon IMO.

• Like 1

The last adjustment to the 'minimum wage' was in January 2013. Isn't is about time to plan a new 'inflation' adjustment for January 2015?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't you complain about the raising of the minimum wage by the PTP government? Something about being populist?

I might have questioned the wisdom of an abrupt 33% to 100% increase. I have complained about the 'mission accomplished' festivities a year or more before all of Thailand was covered. I still question the wisdom of the 33% decrease in corporate tax especially with reason given being "to help companies adjust ahead of the minimum wage increase",

When finally all had the right to a minimum wage of 300 Baht/day inflation had picked up to diminish the real value of the increase to negative territories. It would also seem that the Yingluck government was happy enough to have this new legal limit added to their long list of accomplishments and didn't really bother with trying to enforce it.

All water flooded down streams by now. With 300 Baht a day worth less than that in January 2013, an adjustment in January 2015 seems fair.

BTW forgive me if I'm forgetful, but I for one can't remember you having mentioned minimum wages even once, even in praise. Maybe like the Yingluck government you were too busy for a single person only?

• Like 1

Here they all come, bring it on. All of sudden everyone is an expert and have all the answers. At the end of the day, the result will be the same for today's heroes as it was for the past excuses in government - DISMAL. Until Thais stop believing in their own bullshite and turf the arrogance, nothing will change.

• Like 2

Here they all come, bring it on. All of sudden everyone is an expert and have all the answers. At the end of the day, the result will be the same for today's heroes as it was for the past excuses in government - DISMAL. Until Thais stop believing in their own bullshite and turf the arrogance, nothing will change.

I think you're right.

After months of reading about the latest 'initiative' I am pretty convinced that all these officials simply put out stories the General wishes to hear. Happiness....etc. We must always remember we're still under martial law, so no-one is going to challenge these initiatives.

Edited by metisdead
Reply repaired, learn to make your post outside the quote box.

if these donkeys really want to boost the economy AND improve peoples lives ..its very very simple ..SCRAP VATw00t.gif

VAT is insignificant really when most other countries charge more.

What would improve peoples lives is actually taking away lots of extra taxes, stopping greed and corruption (choke choke as if that will happen) and place the money that is allocated to where it is meant to go without the 30% plus siphoning off at the top before funds get allocated.

I think you're right.

After months of reading about the latest 'initiative' I am pretty convinced that all these officials simply put out stories the General wishes to hear. Happiness....etc. We must always remember we're still under martial law, so no-one is going to challenge these initiatives.

Well, after telling one or two more BS stories a Cabinet Minister or his government officials may well find themselves without a job.

Recently the PM Gen. Prayuth seems to have this fatherly voice with a barely concealing tone of disappointment and a touch of being annoyed with his 'children'.

In that sense the 'microphone' affair may very well have a positive effect.

export stimulating plans............woooooooau...?????w00t.gif...a big word!.

perhaps i am missing something but what does thailand export except rice (sometimes ) , thai massage and their famous smile.?...what else ?.... archa, leo water beer or this horible lao khao?

if tourism comes down really....and it will ...... they will be in deep s.h.i.t,............. economicly speaking, because the country today has not much to offer,also now too much don't do this or that , etc etc.

add that their visa rules and laws for foreigners living here are totally unfair....so what a coktail..!

i guess this generation will stay because of family matters. oldness or what ever personal reason, but the next won't come for sure because all thai government policies are against immigration anyway.

they want foreign money but no foreighers....in my opinion something is wrong in that kind of politic....but it is their own country and can do what they like....if the people let them......up to them!

coffee1.gif

Edited by VINCENT2012
  • Like 1

I might have questioned the wisdom of an abrupt 33% to 100% increase. I have complained about the 'mission accomplished' festivities a year or more before all of Thailand was covered. I still question the wisdom of the 33% decrease in corporate tax especially with reason given being "to help companies adjust ahead of the minimum wage increase",

When finally all had the right to a minimum wage of 300 Baht/day inflation had picked up to diminish the real value of the increase to negative territories. It would also seem that the Yingluck government was happy enough to have this new legal limit added to their long list of accomplishments and didn't really bother with trying to enforce it.

All water flooded down streams by now. With 300 Baht a day worth less than that in January 2013, an adjustment in January 2015 seems fair.

BTW forgive me if I'm forgetful, but I for one can't remember you having mentioned minimum wages even once, even in praise. Maybe like the Yingluck government you were too busy for a single person only?

To be perfectly honest I can't be arsed looking to see if I did or not. So, whatever you said.

• Like 2

Long term plans to improve families income generating abilities:-

1)Allow non Thai citizens to own up to 5 rai of land in their own name. Generating demand for all goods/services.

2)Scrap the archaic visa regulations, something along the Malaysia lines would be the right idea, encouraging the moderately wealthy to retire/spend time in country.

3)A trained and willing police force to maintain some semblance of law and order.

4)An abrupt end to feckless subsidies and vote buying programs, these only serve to make the poor lazy and frustrated.

5)Apologize for kicking out the youths and backpackers in favor of the (non existent and non spending) Chinese tourists. Will result in money being spent off the beaten track.

6)Education overhaul. Introduce modern teaching methods that encourage the student to form an opinion, end to rote learning.

It is pointless trying to "reduce" the cost of living. Goods and services will find their own price level based on economic supply/demand principles.

I think that you might be waiting a while for requests 1 and 2. The traditional rulers here were all that in favour of giving farangs more rights.

Request 5: Non-existent Chinese tourists? They are everywhere, the hotels and restaurants are full of them, and they seem to spend a lot more than backpackers.

Request 3: They need to keep the cops sweet, so might not be too much rocking of the boat there

Request 4: Agreed - if you are saying that a proper social security system would be fairer and more targeted than subsidies. The current far right junta in Thailand likes to maintain a system of patronage, to tread on the necks of the poor, so may not happen for a while

Request 6: Unfortunately, the junta seems to be going in the opposite direction with its edict that kids need to be taught nationalism and blind obedience

Don't hope for real change under this ultra-conservative government, unless you call winding back the clock change.

I very much doubt that helping the poor make ends meet is high on the list of priorities of a junta that sits on the far right of the political spectrum.

It never has been in the past.

• Like 2

Well, they could reduce prices on some things by reducing import taxes to more reasonable levels.

As I wrote pages before. More competition on the high street with freer imports and reductions in red tape and the such would help.

I very much doubt that helping the poor make ends meet is high on the list of priorities of a junta that sits on the far right of the political spectrum.

It never has been in the past.

Well, I'm aware of your negative attitute towards the NCPO, but your doubts do not really help much.

Mind you the previous government didn't really have the poor much in mind either apart from the odd crumbs and the promise to have Ms. Yingluck pass by regularly. IMHO

May be a Thai should ask the NCPO to help enforce the 300 Baht a day minimum wage, as first step, or do you think that would harm the economy ?

Edited by rubl

I live up country. Yesterday we went out to pay bills and decided to eat lunch at the food court at a shopping center. I will not mention the name, but they are everywhere and all of the shopping centers seem to be run the same way. Anyway, we first noticed that the eating area was almost deserted. Only 2 other families when last we attended there were about 35. Then we ordered our food. We were a bit shocked that the B30 meals had now become B45, which is a 50 % increase. When starting to eat, we realized the meat was almost non existent and the meal consisted mostly of cheap rice. It is know wonder the place was empty.

A great Thai business model. 16 different fast food shops, with each having 2-3 employees sitting around picking their nose and squeezing pimples. 50% increase in price. 80% decrease in quality. I wonder why the customers are staying away?

Walking around the mall, we saw 3 other empty shells where full restaurants had been set up.

Yes, i think there is a problem.

rolleyes.gif