Phuket marine tour operators face hefty hikes in park fees

webfact

Phuket marine tour operators face hefty hikes in park fees
Saran Mitrarat

1410760730_1-org.jpg
More expensive from February: The Similan Islands

PHUKET: -- A hefty hike in fees for the Similan Islands National Park will become effective on February 1 next year.PHUKET: A hefty hike in fees for the Similan Islands National Park, the Surin Islands and Phang Nga Bay will become effective on February 1 next year.

The current entrance fee for foreigners is B400 for adults and B200 for children. For Thais the prices are B80 and B40 respectively.

“The new fee will be B500 for [foreign] adults and B300 for [foreign] children. For Thais the new fees will be B100 for adults and B50 for children,” park chief Nut Kongkasorn said.

The new prices for foreigners represent a 25 per cent rise for adults and 50 per cent for children, and for Thais 25 per cent.

The prices will be the same for the Surin Islands.

For Phang Nga Bay the fee for foreign children remains unchanged at B100 but the fee for adults will rise from B200 to B300. For Thais the prices will rise from B20 to B30 for children and from B40 to B60 for adults.

Mr Nut noted that the fees had not been increased for “more than 10 years”, adding that the decision had been made by the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP).

In 2006, the DNP attempted to double all the fees but this caused such an outcry that the DNP backed off and left the fees as they were.

The new prices were originally set by the then-DNP boss, Damrong Pidech, as he approached retirement in 2012. That hike, too, was cancelled, by his successor, Rerngchai Prayoonwet.

“This new entrance fee was announced by the DNP,” he said. “There is no [official] benefit for us.

“The fee will normally will paid [by the tour operator] when the passengers arrive at the island. There are no discounts or cheaper prices,” Mr Nut stressed.

A tour operator who asked not to be named said he was not happy with the new fee.

“For the trip to the Similans our prices start at about B2,500,” he explained. The ticket price includes fuel, staff costs, food, transfer costs, commissions for tour agents and the park fee. “When the [park fee] increases, how can we make profit?” he asked.

Despite the “no discounts” assurance from Mr Nut, the operator said, “We might get a cheaper price if we bring a lot of passengers. It depends on how close our relationship is with a staff there,” he explained.

“At least they have given us plenty of advance notice [about five months] so that we can make decisions on the new fare,” he added.

In the past, fee increases just before the high season caused an uproar in the tour industry because many operators had already contracted with their suppliers overseas at specific prices, meaning that they had to swallow the extra cost themselves.

“At this stage, I cannot confirm whether or not the price of a trip to the Similans will have to increase,” the operator concluded.

No mention has yet been made of any rise in fees for entering the Phi Phi Islands National Park, home of famed Maya Bay.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tour-operators-face-hefty-hike-in-similans-fee-48736.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-09-15

5 times the price of a Thai.

I would not set foot on place.Never visit anywhere with such a racist policy

There are a lot of rich Thai people now and not so many rich farang.

Most of the visitors here are non-farang but Chinese, paying the foreigner price.

Yup, xenophobia.

“The new fee will be B500 for (Falang) foreign adults and B300 for (Falang) foreign children."

"For Thais the new fees will be B100 for adults and B50 for children,” park chief Nut Kongkasorn said." wai2.gif wai.gif

"The new prices for foreigners represent a 25 per cent rise for adults and 50 per cent for children, and for Thais 25 per cent."

Say's it all.

Outrageous that it's so blatant. facepalm.gif

Uhh, sanctioned...

Edited by iReason

Yup, xenophobia.

“The new fee will be B500 for(Falang) foreign adults and B300 for (Falang) foreign children. For Thais the new fees will be B100 for adults and B50 for children,” park chief Nut Kongkasorn said." wai2.gif wai.gif

"The new prices for foreigners represent a 25 per cent rise for adults and 50 per cent for children, and for Thais 25 per cent."

Say's it all.

Uhh, sanctioned...

At least leave the original text intact if you quote.

BTW, if living here one pays the Thai price.

Yup, xenophobia.

“The new fee will be B500 for(Falang) foreign adults and B300 for (Falang) foreign children. For Thais the new fees will be B100 for adults and B50 for children,” park chief Nut Kongkasorn said." wai2.gif wai.gif

Say's it all.

Uhh, sanctioned...

“BTW, if living here one pays the Thai price.”

coffee1.gif BTW, what is the relevance of that statement? The news item clearly refers to the hike on visitors and not the high life enjoyed by the incumbent inmates.

I've always felt that it's up to the discretion of the head of the park whether to allow us farangs to get in with the Thai price if we have a Thai drivers license.

Some do, some don't.

The article by the OP states "no discounts" though.
That's not a good sign for us expats.

I've always felt that it's up to the discretion of the head of the park whether to allow us farangs to get in with the Thai price if we have a Thai drivers license.

Some do, some don't.

The article by the OP states "no discounts" though.

That's not a good sign for us expats.

Exactly. Concisely stated.

Yup, xenophobia.

Say's it all.

Uhh, sanctioned...

The original quote is intact. And augmented.

Too confusing for you?

"BTW, if living here one pays the Thai price."

Great!

So I pay 100B?

Thanks for clarifying that!

Wait a minute, the Thai price for everything?

Jeez, that's not what they tell me...

Yup, xenophobia.

Say's it all.

Uhh, sanctioned...

Too confusing for you?

Great!

So I pay 100B?

Original quote:

"The new fee will be B500 for [foreign] adults and B300 for [foreign] children."

Your quote:

"The new fee will be B500 for(Falang) foreign adults and B300 for (Falang) foreign children."

Not the same, and especially not the same in meaning. Plus, with the Chinese being by far the biggest tour group there, incorrect as well.

Yup, xenophobia.

Say's it all.

Uhh, sanctioned...

Too confusing for you?

Great!

So I pay 100B?

Original quote:

"The new fee will be B500 for [foreign] adults and B300 for [foreign] children."

Your quote:

"The new fee will be B500 for(Falang) foreign adults and B300 for (Falang) foreign children."

Not the same, and especially not the same in meaning. Plus, with the Chinese being by far the biggest tour group there, incorrect as well.

Are you really that naive?

foreign=falang=tourist.

If you are not Thai, you are Falang.

Living here?

Still equals: foreign=falang=tourist.

I've lived here 12 years and still get treated like I just came off the boat. wai2.gifwai.gif

How would they know the difference? (rhetorical)

They don't care.

BTW, "augmented" was a key term...

I do not put my foot in places with different prices for Thai and foreigners. never visit places with such a racist policy. have often sit outside and waited for my thai family if they wanted to visit places, yes, I pay for them, but I will not go in unless they give me the same price. nb. I am retired here, thai certificate and visited Thailand regularly for 15 years.

Why o why they don't make the price for foreigners 1000 THB/ person.

I'm sure nobody will come anymore.

I'm willing to go the extra mile Khun Nut

What do you think about the 2 foreigners who's killed today, I'm sure less and less tourists will coming.

And do you think with rising the prices, you'll get the same profit, or maybe salary??

B*llshit khun Nut(s)

The argument is that Thai people and foreign residents pay for the up keeping of the nature parks with there tax payments.

Tourist are not paying tax for the parks and should pay extra.

Don't know if it is a valid argument but it sounds logical.

• Like 1

Too confusing for you?

Great!

So I pay 100B?

Original quote:

Your quote:

Are you really that naive?

foreign=falang=tourist.

If you are not Thai, you are Falang.

Living here?

Still equals: foreign=falang=tourist.

I've lived here 12 years and still get treated like I just came off the boat. wai2.gifwai.gif

How would they know the difference? (rhetorical)

They don't care.

BTW, "augmented" was a key term...

"Are you really that naive?"

Thainess...biggrin.png

The current entrance fee for foreigners is B400 for adults and B200 for children. For Thais the prices are B80 and B40 respectively.

please all foreign goverments of the world, increase the price 5 times of all national parks, museums, or national events for thais visiting our sites.

coffee1.gif

I do not put my foot in places with different prices for Thai and foreigners. never visit places with such a racist policy. have often sit outside and waited for my thai family if they wanted to visit places, yes, I pay for them, but I will not go in unless they give me the same price. nb. I am retired here, thai certificate and visited Thailand regularly for 15 years.

bravo......! thats exactly what i do too.....in that condition paying is a totally wrong attitude.(it is not for the money!)... exactly like for coruption, giving money to a policeman for what ever reason.... it is wrong!

at least we still have the right here not to pay, so take that right and use it to show them and realise they are useless creating these diferences between people !

coffee1.gif

Edited by VINCENT2012

The argument is that Thai people and foreign residents pay for the up keeping of the nature parks with there tax payments.

Tourist are not paying tax for the parks and should pay extra.

Don't know if it is a valid argument but it sounds logical.

Possibly but Id like to see a published source first, wouldnt you? Furthermore, it could just be as simple as Thai Economics 101 kicking in No Hab Biznit, poot pwicess up.

“When the [park fee] increases, how can we make profit?” Pass the cost on to customers. You're not in business to break even. If you lose customers, make a complaint as you'll have grounds for a fee reduction, maybe get TOT support for a lower fee.

Why o why they don't make the price for foreigners 1000 THB/ person.

I'm sure nobody will come anymore.

I'm willing to go the extra mile Khun Nut

What do you think about the 2 foreigners who's killed today, I'm sure less and less tourists will coming.

And do you think with rising the prices, you'll get the same profit, or maybe salary??

B*llshit khun Nut(s)

peter, they only think about the big china men number, millions of them, they dont care about the westerners.

5 times the price of a Thai.

I would not set foot on place.Never visit anywhere with such a racist policy

There are a lot of rich Thai people now and not so many rich farang.

Most of the visitors here are non-farang but Chinese, paying the foreigner price.

Chinese tourists get substantial discounts on everything including taxi meters from the airport.