Bodies of foreign tourists found brutally murdered on Koh Tao beach

webfact

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been told some can't open daily mail links , but today's headlines will surly damage thailands tourism , they are digging a massive hole !!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1411020938.593401.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1411020969.607348.jpg

Got to wonder how TAT are going to spin this one! Best advice right now would be to shut up, avoid English language promotion and think to next year. They probably won't be able to resist though. Ads in the Daily Mail? After all it is their target demographic. Moderately well off, easily led and ready to believe any old rubbish!

i doubt it will happen but the Thai police should invite the UK police to help, at least there might be some chance of the truth coming out, v blame it on the nearest Burmese worker or farang.

Ofcourse it'll be a Burmese or a farang!

Burmese are farrangs too.
you highlight your ignorance of Thailand with that sentence

Great detective work to assume that the killer is a Farang because of blond hair found in Hannah's hand. Know a lot of Fire boys who dye their hair blond and it is very common for Cambodians to who use the old lemon in the hair trick.

Not claiming it was a Cambodian by the way before somebody pipes up!!

The Thai police and government are mishandling this case to the maximum. The police do not seem to know what they are doing which for most of us here Is par for the course. Blundering all over the scene and taking snapshots, arresting all and sundry for questioning but Not One Thai!! Saying it is the fault of pretty girls wearing bikini's and an obsession with Thailand's image. If they only knew what the rest of the world really thinks!

Is it any wonder that there is zero confidence in the abilities of the police - for my part their abilities are in the negative because they are quite prone to covering things up for a price. Not police at all really they are like some evil gang in a horror cartoon.

And to make it worse we have the General making off the cuff remarks that show no sympathy to the victims of this heinous crime who only graced Thailand with their choice as a holiday destination and spent their money here, but instead tries to divert criticism to anyone who isn't Thai, most sickeningly, by all accounts, the victims as well. What is going on?

And Thailand really thinks the rest of the world has a good impression of Thailand - it would be a laugh but it is actually sickening to the bone.

May some professionalism in the police and motivation in he government come about to handle the matter in a respectful and competent way. I will not be holding my breath considering the parties I am referring to for the track record of the police is rank!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Been told some can't open daily mail links , but today's headlines will surly damage thailands tourism , they are digging a massive hole !!

Thanks for that Boater - not good news though.

coffee1.gif as usual very boring.... coffee1.gif .... watch Sky News see the murders and missing children in UK....(Hampshire lady, how long has it taken to make arrests on that?... weeks ).

Perhaps no one should go to the UK ... it's not 100 safe either ...nor is any country facepalm.gif

It's easy to see Daily Mail here, I don't know why anyone would bother though...when they make mis-quotes as posted above... absolute rubbish...

I am another who finds it's not as bad living here as some rather confused and negative doom scaremonger seem to think it is.... some people should stay home and sit in their rocking chairs! bah.gif

Got to wonder how TAT are going to spin this one! Best advice right now would be to shut up, avoid English language promotion and think to next year. They probably won't be able to resist though. Ads in the Daily Mail? After all it is their target demographic. Moderately well off, easily led and ready to believe any old rubbish!

This murder is so shocking exactly since it is such a rarity in Thailand , else where America for example it would not even make the rags.

How often are foreign tourists raped and beaten to death in America?

According to this tourist danger map, Thailand is high risk (same as India). The only worse places are Central Africa and the Middle East.

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/international/Screen%20Shot%202013-04-02%20at%2012.16.19%20PM.png

Taken from here

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/04/the-most-dangerous-countries-for-tourists-in-maps/274593/

i doubt it will happen but the Thai police should invite the UK police to help, at least there might be some chance of the truth coming out, v blame it on the nearest Burmese worker or farang.

Explain dude !!!

coffee1.gif as usual very boring.... coffee1.gif .... watch Sky News see the murders and missing children in UK....(Hampshire lady, how long has it taken to make arrests on that?... weeks ).

Perhaps no one should go to the UK ... it's not 100 safe either ...nor is any country facepalm.gif

It's easy to see Daily Mail here, I don't know why anyone would bother though...when they make mis-quotes as posted above... absolute rubbish...

I am another who finds it's not as bad living here as some rather confused and negative doom scaremonger seem to think it is.... some people should stay home and sit in their rocking chairs! bah.gif

You seem to be missing the point rather jimmy. The point is not about Thailand being a safe country, and i think it generally is btw. The point is that two kids have been brutally slain by a psychopath, who is still on the loose and the whole business seems to be being handled with monumental incompetence. It also seems that the fous of concerns is more about tourism.

Its all well and good defending the place you live but keep a grip on reality.

You seem to be missing the point rather jimmy. The point is not about Thailand being a safe country, and i think it generally is btw. The point is that two kids have been brutally slain by a psychopath, who is still on the loose and the whole business seems to be being handled with monumental incompetence. It also seems that the fous of concerns is more about tourism.

Its all well and good defending the place you live but keep a grip on reality.

As sad as the event that took place on Koa Toa, and the devastating lost to the families and friends of the victims... it is sad indeed.

I am not missing any point, my point is these events happen in every country, and these events out basically the people who pretend these unfortunate types of deaths or crimes don't happen in their own countries or any where else ... and just results in the usual Thai bashing.

The police eliminated the obvious to begin with. So you are saying that police solve crimes "over night" elsewhere in the world... Two recent reports in UK say that is not true.... are they just as in-concomitant ? One could go on about police solving cases anywhere in the world... that is really my point...

I just don't believe Thailand is a unsafe as some people try to portray here on the forum, I have traveled in many areas of this country and never felt threatened anywhere... many people say the same. ... if it where people would not move here or come on holiday...

Again condolences to the families involved in the case and also to the family of drowning Chinese tourist who drowned on Koh NangYuan the other day... (not reported) ...

enough said...

KOH TAO MURDERS
Police seek help from FBI on DNA
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Say the US has more sophisticated equipment for Koh Tao murder hunt

Police will request help from the United States' Federation Bureau of Investigation to test semen found in the body of a female British backpacker brutally murdered on the resort island of Koh Tao this week.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/761855-police-seek-help-from-fbi-on-dna/

Your recent post "So they were having sex on the beach and thats justification for some disapproving hypocritical Thai to smash their heads in? Lets have this part of the story "in the news" . No justice EVER for foreigners in the Land of Shame".

Don't talk to me about ignorance of Thailand you little Chili, how do you support you statement ??? Anyway, who cares what you think......

New evidence found in tourists’ murder case

x9-19-2014-10-22-30-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg.

BANGKOK: -- Investigation into the brutal murder of two English tourists on Koh Tao Island is progressing with the police said they have found new evidence from CCTV footage of an Asian man wearing the pants of one of the victims.

The police have put out reward of 100,000 baht for information on the Asian man’s whereabout as now he is the most suspected murderer.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/761870-new-evidence-found-in-tourists-murder-case/

This is another dreadful tragedy and my heartfelt sympathies go out to the families of the deceased - God knows what they must be feeling right now, particularly with all the apparent media attention.

But I have to comment on some of the glaring assumptions that are evident in many of the comments here.

DNA testing? The island "locked down"?

I had the sad misfortune several years ago to be close to hand when a friend was attacked by a burglar he disturbed in his house (on Samui), The burglar panicked, pulled a knife and slashed my friend, before jumping back out of the window. The police turned up excited and happy, smoking as they blundered all about contaminating the crime scene, picking up and examining ornaments and chatting cheerfully to each other, laughing and joking. One even sat down and turned on the TV.

My friend died on his way to hospital.

The house was then simply left there, open and unsealed, until a team from Bangkok arrived two days later to take fingerprints. At that time the police on Samui had no facility to do this - maybe today they have, but I don't simply assume this is the case.

And I'm quite certain that "DNA testing" is equally as suspect. So many people commenting here simply assume that DNA testing will automatically happen, because this is what happens in their own countries. Firstly, you can be sure that the integrity of the scene was wrecked by dozens of people tramping all over it, moving things and handling things long before the police got there. Second, there is the more-than-likely possibility that the police then added to the mayhem, in the same way.

In the 15 years I have lived here I have never before heard of DNA tests being used in serious crimes on Samui - as far as I am aware there is no police protocol for doing this - although the international hospitals here certainly have the facility. And then the police notion that anyone leaving would be catching a public ferry? An island with hundreds of private boats coming and going? If it's a local he's long gone and even with fingerprinting (after everyone and his dog has handled the bloody hoe and taken photos of it for their Facebook page) - you have to be able to catch the culprit before you can match his prints. And the same applies by the time someone gets to taking DNA samples.

By the way - this is a Thai hoe - not what you assume if you read this from abroad

15064064018_935d0a7f0e_o.jpg

The saddest thing of all is that this kind of thing, involving tourists or visitors, only ever happens in areas where so many tourists are gathered together. This attracts all the scum and lowlife, as they see passing farangs as easy targets. The other 95% of this country is filled with gentle, shy, warm-heated and delightful people who would help, feed and shelter you without a thought, if you needed it. Unfortunately for young travelers, they are going to head for that 5% of the party belt which is most dangerous to them (partying in Nakhon sri Thammarat is not on their map) and also these places are full of Thai people who really don't represent the true nature of the Thais.

I sincerely hope that justice is done, and the police don't just panic and nab some vagrant laborer just for the sake of appearances. But this is Thailand. And things just don't work the same way here as they do in your country.

R

I'm quoting my own post here - because it looks like all you people out there who were expecting DNA tests to point a finger at the killer - just like you get back home - are in for another culture shock.

Wake up everyone - this is Thailand . . . TIT.

It now turns out that the puffed up police, crowing with glee about using . . "the DNA testing"', have shot themselves in the foot - in front of a world audience - once again.

In Thailand, the use of DNA testing has advanced to the point where . . . they can tell whether the DNA sample comes from a male or a female.

That's it.

Not which exact male or female. Not even if the donor was Asian or Negroid or Caucasian. Just - male or female.

So now the miracle of DNA testing has ruled out the possibility of the killer being female. That is actually the ONLY evidence the police have so far, apart from the murder weapon..

Well done chaps.

R

Latest reading matter from theDaily Mail here:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-2762055/Thai-divers-hunt-missing-murder-weapon-tourists-flock-spot-British-duo-murdered.html

This is another dreadful tragedy and my heartfelt sympathies go out to the families of the deceased - God knows what they must be feeling right now, particularly with all the apparent media attention.

But I have to comment on some of the glaring assumptions that are evident in many of the comments here.

DNA testing? The island "locked down"?

I had the sad misfortune several years ago to be close to hand when a friend was attacked by a burglar he disturbed in his house (on Samui), The burglar panicked, pulled a knife and slashed my friend, before jumping back out of the window. The police turned up excited and happy, smoking as they blundered all about contaminating the crime scene, picking up and examining ornaments and chatting cheerfully to each other, laughing and joking. One even sat down and turned on the TV.

My friend died on his way to hospital.

The house was then simply left there, open and unsealed, until a team from Bangkok arrived two days later to take fingerprints. At that time the police on Samui had no facility to do this - maybe today they have, but I don't simply assume this is the case.

And I'm quite certain that "DNA testing" is equally as suspect. So many people commenting here simply assume that DNA testing will automatically happen, because this is what happens in their own countries. Firstly, you can be sure that the integrity of the scene was wrecked by dozens of people tramping all over it, moving things and handling things long before the police got there. Second, there is the more-than-likely possibility that the police then added to the mayhem, in the same way.

In the 15 years I have lived here I have never before heard of DNA tests being used in serious crimes on Samui - as far as I am aware there is no police protocol for doing this - although the international hospitals here certainly have the facility. And then the police notion that anyone leaving would be catching a public ferry? An island with hundreds of private boats coming and going? If it's a local he's long gone and even with fingerprinting (after everyone and his dog has handled the bloody hoe and taken photos of it for their Facebook page) - you have to be able to catch the culprit before you can match his prints. And the same applies by the time someone gets to taking DNA samples.

By the way - this is a Thai hoe - not what you assume if you read this from abroad

15064064018_935d0a7f0e_o.jpg

The saddest thing of all is that this kind of thing, involving tourists or visitors, only ever happens in areas where so many tourists are gathered together. This attracts all the scum and lowlife, as they see passing farangs as easy targets. The other 95% of this country is filled with gentle, shy, warm-heated and delightful people who would help, feed and shelter you without a thought, if you needed it. Unfortunately for young travelers, they are going to head for that 5% of the party belt which is most dangerous to them (partying in Nakhon sri Thammarat is not on their map) and also these places are full of Thai people who really don't represent the true nature of the Thais.

I sincerely hope that justice is done, and the police don't just panic and nab some vagrant laborer just for the sake of appearances. But this is Thailand. And things just don't work the same way here as they do in your country.

R

I'm quoting my own post here - because it looks like all you people out there who were expecting DNA tests to point a finger at the killer - just like you get back home - are in for another culture shock.

Wake up everyone - this is Thailand . . . TIT.

It now turns out that the puffed up police, crowing with glee about using . . "the DNA testing"', have shot themselves in the foot - in front of a world audience - once again.

In Thailand, the use of DNA testing has advanced to the point where . . . they can tell whether the DNA sample comes from a male or a female.

That's it.

Not which exact male or female. Not even if the donor was Asian or Negroid or Caucasian. Just - male or female.

So now the miracle of DNA testing has ruled out the possibility of the killer being female. That is actually the ONLY evidence the police have so far, apart from the murder weapon..

Well done chaps.

R

how'd this post work out for ya Robby my boyO!

Police use superimposition technique to identify murderers of two British tourists
By Digital Content

1024x735x14114575584734.jpg.pagespeed.ic

SURAT THANI, Sept 23 -- Police have used superimposition, a specialised forensic medical technique, to compare an image of a man captured by a surveillance camera with the pictures of suspects and expect to find the murderers of two British tourists on Ko Tao in a few days.

http://www.thaivisa....-3#entry8426330

BREAKING NEWS:

One tourist murder suspect now arrested, another on the run

9-23-2014-3-14-56-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

KOH TAO: -- The police have arrested a suspect in the murder of two British tourists in Koh Tao and are still hunting for a second suspect who has escaped into Bangkok.

Eighth Region Police Command commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Panya Mamen identified the first suspect as Mon.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/762637-thailand-live-tuesday-23-sep-2014/page-2#entry8426365

Sky News reported this afternoon, that a French guy was under police protection, as it was said he knew and had ID'd at least one of the suspects... (?_ )

Perhaps missed this here, so many threads on this... whistling.gif

Guy NOT French, all wrong. He is Scottish. Read above posts.

MURDERS AT KOH TAO
Police free bar owners and look for ex-village headman's son

The Nation

x30243997-01_big.jpg,q1411511188096.page
DNA samples are collected from staff at restaurants and resorts on Koh Tao yesterday as part of the probe into the murder of two British tourists last week.

Police seeking former village headman's son who fled island

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/762910-koh-tao-murders-police-free-bar-owners-and-look-for-ex-village-headmans-son/

Archived