Bodies of foreign tourists found brutally murdered on Koh Tao beach

webfact

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posts with links to photos, disrespectful posts removed.

Please use common sense & decency before posting. Show some respect to the deceased & their families.

excuse me,go tell this to the royal thai policeman who posted the horrific pics on his facebook page,along with pics of naked girls

Show some respect to the deceased's family,. You have gripes about the policeman take it up with the relevant authorities please & stop trying to derail this thread.

Why is this story in the Koh Samui section of Thai Visa?

One would think that, given the gravity of the crime, that it would be in the main Thai News forum.

Strange

Read the NEWS FORUM before making comments like this please. Koh Tao is part of the Samui forum.

http://www.thaivisa....-2#entry8387907 ( Breaking News )

http://www.thaivisa....-2#entry8388555

http://www.thaivisa....-2#entry8388781

http://www.thaivisa....-2#entry8389121

http://www.thaivisa....-2#entry8389145

http://www.thaivisa....-2#entry8389171

http://www.thaivisa....-2#entry8389277

http://www.thaivisa....-2#entry8390271

CRIME
Koh Tao 'sealed off' after two tourists brutally killed

THE NATION, AFP

30243363-01_big.jpg

Gruesome murders of British pair on island paradise shock locals and visitors

BANGKOK: -- POLICE have sealed off the resort island of Koh Tao off Surat Thani province to hunt down killers who brutally murdered a British couple and possibly raped the woman on Sunday night. The 24-year-old victims have been identified as Hannah Witheridge and David Miller.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/760714-koh-tao-island-sealed-off-after-gruesome-murder-of-two-british-tourists/

Several friends and friends of friends on my Facebook feed (mainly British) have said they have holidays booked and what not, and now are second guessing their decision. Like someone said earlier this may well be the final nail in the coffin for Thailand and tourism. Once that is screwed so is Thailand.

the double murders could affect thai tourism.what a statement.

what about the affect on the victims family's.

i am so ashamed to say i live here.

R.I.P.

Terrible but it happens EVERYWHERE. Sadly there is almost nowhere on earth, where Tourists have not been murdered at some stage.

Never the less, it is horrifying and very bad for our image but don't be "ashamed" to say you live here....there are so many POSITIVES about this country.

Pray tell me !! Why do people like you keep insisting that these things happen everywhere as if to gloss over the REALITY?? Lets be honest here. These brutal crimes against tourists , constant bullying by robbing murderous gangs, thinking we Farangs have no value to our lives, is happening a bit too often in THIS COUNTRY and time we where protected. Nobody, expects to see their children/family/friends to go on holiday and never to be seen again. These horrific murders will now set a precedence for anyone thinking of coming here on vacations.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !!!!!!

R.I.P.

Terrible but it happens EVERYWHERE. Sadly there is almost nowhere on earth, where Tourists have not been murdered at some stage.

Never the less, it is horrifying and very bad for our image but don't be "ashamed" to say you live here....there are so many POSITIVES about this country.

The how of this story is very important.

It is possible to walk the beaches of many many tourist countries without fearing this type of thing.

A punch up yes, a robbery possibly.

But bludgeoned with a farm tool. Can't think when that happened on the Costa del Sol. It is the opportunistic and violent nature that is the problem.

The land of smiles grin is slipping. Really sad for the families.

Brilliant. Nice to see someone being so HONEST for a change and not doing the run of the mill 'Farang/Thainess Brotherhood' BS, thus trying to emulsify over the FACTS!! Makes my blood boil...... I will always curry favour to my own kind' since so many of these so-called ever so happy self-made ThaiFarangs can do without us people, who constantly shun and turn their backs on their countrymen.

R.I.P.

I never tell anyone I have anything to do with the place any more.

as my wife spent 20yrs.in the uk.away from her brothers and sister it was only fair that when the time came she could call it a day in the uk.and move back to be close to her family.she has many freinds in the uk.and is in touch regular,but she is ashamed with whats been happening here on an every day occurance.so you might ask why am i still here,well the answer is in the first 2 lines.she has said however if she had children they would definately not live here.

in over 31yrs i have not seen anything like whats been happening the past few yrs.

i love where i live but i do hope this goverment can make a difference to whats become of a lawless country.

meatboy.a very consiencous person.and once again i am very sorry this has happened in the country i call home.

R.I.P.

I never tell anyone I have anything to do with the place any more.

as my wife spent 20yrs.in the uk.away from her brothers and sister it was only fair that when the time came she could call it a day in the uk.and move back to be close to her family.she has many freinds in the uk.and is in touch regular,but she is ashamed with whats been happening here on an every day occurance.so you might ask why am i still here,well the answer is in the first 2 lines.she has said however if she had children they would definately not live here.

in over 31yrs i have not seen anything like whats been happening the past few yrs.

i love where i live but i do hope this goverment can make a difference to whats become of a lawless country.

meatboy.a very consiencous person.and once again i am very sorry this has happened in the country i call home.

I can't get my kids out of there and I worry. In fact I'm always worried.

R.I.P.

i wonder how you would feel if it was your daughter or son.

as you say AT SOME STAGE but its happening almost every day.

In a few more years, I'll take my kids back to the UK or even Laos. Because,. I would never forgive myself if anything happened to them here in Thailand. I much prefer not to take any chances with their precious lives. Hence, would be selfish of me to stay in such an unruly lawless country where my children are at risk of being bullied or murdered for being a bit different and plainly obvious they are half Farang.

I don't want to hear about all percentages of of chance of this being far too remote or reality since I personally feel this is 100% a dangerous place and getting worse........

In a few more years, I'll take my kids back to the UK or even Laos. Because,. I would never forgive myself if anything happened to them here in Thailand. I much prefer not to take any chances with their precious lives. Hence, would be selfish of me to stay in such an unruly lawless country where my children are at risk of being bullied or murdered for being a bit different and plainly obvious they are half Farang.

I don't want to hear about all percentages of of chance of this being far too remote or reality since I personally feel this is 100% a dangerous place and getting worse........

I have to go to Laos next month to renew my visa, I am contemplating actually not coming back in all honesty. I don't need beaches and gogo bars, and I certainly don't need a Junta headache and mindless crime increasing

I totally agree...too many murders of foreigners in Thailand these days, and the worst bit of all is, you know the next one will be ''just around the corner ''.

I got my daughter out of there in order to give her a good education .I left rather reluctantly after living in Thailand for 6 years plus and now visit only due to family reasons.

I never thought I would reach the day when I would say ,'' I'm glad I am back in England''.... but I really am. Every time I return to Thailand from what I encounter I like it less.

What a shame and a tragic loss of life for two young people in the prime of life. RIP. Although it hasn't been determined what the nationality of the killer may be, it is still apparent that these brutal violent crimes against foreigners are certainly increasing. Junta or no. It looks like the tide may be turning and the welcome mat has definitely been pulled inside.

I am disgusted that naked pictures of the two dead are flooding the internet. taken at the scene of the crime and obviously for future forensic use not media or public,

My mailbox and news feeds had, I thought, made me numb to this as we get every bike crash and decomposed body pic in full detail on a regular basis, but this is the absolute worst I have ever seen. Please God that the parents or family dont have to suffer more by being exposed to them

SOmeone high up should be demanding an explanation.

People bludgeoned to death on the beach after dark?

In Europe? None that I read this year.

That is because in Europe people use knives and guns. Not many hoes available lying around. (They would have been stolen in 20 seconds.)

Whilst there is not so much beach crime in Europe - that is because there is a lot more land mass than beach.

This was an unfortunate isolated instance on Koh Tao. Sympathy and condolances to the families of the victims.

First of all RIP to the pour victims.

Secondly, some sick local has posted pictures of the mutilated bodies on FaceBook!!!!

This is a sick country!

Well, it is basically lack of ethics, insensitivity and being unable to feel empathy for others and their suffering (in this case the victims families) - and even being able to think two minutes ahead in time. Some would call it stupid others would call it sick! I would say it is both and the most sick thing is that people happily share the photos, without showing respect of any kind. So "YES" it is SICK! and a total lack of empathy for other people.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/126722/thai-medias-naming-of-koh-tao-murder-victims-a-serious-breach-of-ethics/

Sadly what springs to my mind is the possibility that they had been making love on the beach , after a party and a few drinks .

That would be no surprise in a western country , but in Thailand nudity and sexuality is strictly taboo , the more so in rural or isolated areas .

Thailand isn't a playground where holiday makers can cast off all discretion and do as one likes , their are strict codes of behaviour that should be respected .

I'm so sorry that this should happen , my simpathy goes to their families .

do you seriously think a thai would become offended at witnessing sex acts & resort to violence to end the suffering before his eyes?

YES , I do think a Thai would become offended at witnessing sex acts , and may resort to violence ! You shouldn't judge Thailand by Patpong Bangkok , Pattaya , bar girls and prostitutes .

I have been living 10yrs in rural Thailand , moral codes of behaviour are very strict , no nudity , very discrete sex , women's swimming costumes in black Lycra suitable for gymnastics , no bikinis .

Thais are discretely very promicuous , but any blatant nudity or sexuality is deemed disgusting . My impression from staying in Koh Samui , visiting Koh Pangan is that the basic islanders are even more primitive than mainland farm labourers . Most of the island resort staff is from the mainland , not locals . Guide books advise on codes of behaviour , you cannot behave in Thailand as you might in an European resort , without taking a grave risk .

Why are some of you, I presumed educated, thinking it's necessary or indeed morally acceptable, to show pictures or links to the pictures of these young people's battered bodies? And it boggles the mind that you are even searching for these pictures.

If you were related to or knew Hannah and David, would you do this?

For the love of all things, show these poor souls and their family some dignity.

R.I.P.

Pray tell me !! Why do people like you keep insisting that these things happen everywhere as if to gloss over the REALITY?? Lets be honest here. These brutal crimes against tourists , constant bullying by robbing murderous gangs, thinking we Farangs have no value to our lives, is happening a bit too often in THIS COUNTRY and time we where protected. Nobody, expects to see their children/family/friends to go on holiday and never to be seen again. These horrific murders will now set a precedence for anyone thinking of coming here on vacations.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !!!!!!

You certainly work very hard to earn your name - SHOUTING in every sentence.

Reality check.

This is possably a crime of passion - but we do not know. Lots of contentious and headline grabbing words like naked, rape, crazy Thais killing foreigners, crazy Burmese killing foreigners and so on ad infinitum.

There is no evidence yet that any or all of these allegations are true. So before we slag-off how dangerous Thailand, Beaches, Koh Tao etc are, we should wait for real facts and not start to create a hysterical response. Will you still stand by your comments if you find out that the young lady's boyfriend did it? We do not know!!!

Either way - this is a first for Koh Tao.

Regardless of your opinion, Thailand is far safer as a holiday destination than most other popular countries. The biggest risk of death or injury here is motorbikes - and that is down to the tourists - not the Thais or Burmese.

A small thought/consideration. In just one newspaper today in the UK, there are stories about -

Young girl shot in the head. Died in hospital

Woman stabbed to death

21 yo male shot dead

Young lady shot dead - 3 people jailed

Young girl badly beaten at carnival

Young man blinded in eye by petrol attack

Man bludgeons flatmate to death with hammer

Men arrested on murder charge in missing girl case

Personally, my wife and I feel far safer here than back in the UK!

We should look at all of life here life in perspective and not make a hasty judgement without real facts.

Sad that such a tragic event becomes a knocking post. I certainly hope that the faimily and friends do not read this thread. Trial by Thai Visa readers strikes again.

Why are some of you, I presumed educated, thinking it's necessary or indeed morally acceptable, to show pictures or links to the pictures of these young people's battered bodies? And it boggles the mind that you are even searching for these pictures.

If you were related to or knew Hannah and David, would you do this?

For the love of all things, show these poor souls and their family some dignity.

+ 1

Archived