Bodies of foreign tourists found brutally murdered on Koh Tao beach

webfact

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tragic in so many ways.

Where can you go these days to enjoy yourself without having to deal with predators? Asked rhetorically...

Take a big knife with you when you and your lady go to the beach to chill out.. keep your eyes peeled for ANYONE looking out of place and or approaching you... be prepared to fight for your life...when in doubt attack... hmmmm, great way to spend a relaxing evening on the beach during your vacation.. I think not.

Better to just go to another place that does not have a history of violence... where is that?

xxxxxx... I'm staying home, those places can go under as far as I'm concerned... they are not that spectacular to risk any of this.

As someone else mentioned above... I think farang need to stick together and defend each other in times of need. I really bothers me when I see people just standing by while the lady on the beach gets bullied and sand kicked on her... we are strong in numbers.

There is really no place safe on this Planet. Great idea regarding carrying a knife with you, I always have mine sheathed on me. However, knife fighting is an acquired skill, so practice, practice, practice. Also remember, you don't bring a knife to a gunfight. So, there are limitations. The safest way is be aware of your surroundings, and if someone starts to come at you, attack with everything you have, as you will be probably be fighting for your life. So take "His" keep "Yours"! The Kingdom needs to bring back the Cross-buck and the machine gun for Capital Crimes such as this. Life in prison is not adequate punishment for a crime as horrific as this. R.I.P. to this young couple. Condolences to both of their Families back home.

You do realise that if you get caught carrying a knife you are facing some seriously grilling and trouble, furthermore if you get attacked and react by stabbing someone try explaining that to the police and walking out a free man. I have several knives and machetes, but I wouldn't carry them around with me in fear of being attacked. That is pure folly.

Yes, I realize the consequences of carrying my blade. And Yes, I will have the ability to explain why I had to stab the Perp. Because, there will only be one side to the story and that will be mine. If you think what I believe in is "pure folly" that's your prerogative and not mine. With you having several knives and machetes, I just hope you don't enter into a confrontation being unarmed and wind up as another victim statistic. Good Luck!

Back packers in particular are known to have sex out in the open after these parties whilst high. Ive witnessed it en masse during an early morning walk on a beach myself. If that was the case then they were caught by surprise , off guard and unable to fight back.

RPI and sincere condolences to both their families absolutely horrific murders So it is now becoming more apparent where not to go for your holidays if you want to have a safe carefree relaxing holiday with beautiful beaches Thailand is not the place to come to.

yes its awful, but come of it how often does this sort of thing happen in west so often IMO it does not usually even bother to be reported.

Before coming out with nonsense put it into prospective against number of tourists and I'm not condoning it at all.

Also get full details and it is possible its a faring or faring who did it

Just because your on holiday here or anywhere you need to take sensible precautions. No one would dream of walking late at night along deserted places anywhere in west and while this is a couple I've seen single forang woman doing that when they just would not back in UK or USA or europe

Thailand needs to reintroduce the death penalty, with speedy executions like Singapore and china. Violent crime is out if control.

It is not a deterrent though.

It won't stop murder especially when they have to gain face. I would say, when saving face, most Asians don't step back and think of the ramifications should they murder someone.

RPI and sincere condolences to both their families absolutely horrific murders So it is now becoming more apparent where not to go for your holidays if you want to have a safe carefree relaxing holiday with beautiful beaches Thailand is not the place to come to.

yes its awful, but come of it how often does this sort of thing happen in west so often IMO it does not usually even bother to be reported.

Before coming out with nonsense put it into prospective against number of tourists and I'm not condoning it at all.

Just because your on holiday here or anywhere you need to take sensible precautions. No one would dream of walking late at night along deserted places anywhere in west and while this is a couple I've seen single forang woman doing that when they just would not back in UK or USA or europe

What does all that mean in English ???

May the victims rest in peace & my condolences go to their families.

Lots of idle speculation on here, called idle for a reason. People love to slow down for a car crash & cause collateral damage. For a start, there's no evidence that any rape took place. That can only be determined by a medical examiner & the identity of the killer(s), along with motive, can only be discovered by the police, not viscous, idiotic rumours.

the double murders could affect thai tourism.what a statement.

what about the affect on the victims family's.

i am so ashamed to say i live here.

R.I.P.

Why would you be ashamed.

Horrible crime. But Thailand is safer than a lot of other places.

A lot of people depend on tourism. So this could end up hurting thousands of people.

What does all that mean in English ???

it means its very sad but it happens everywhere in world and probably more in west than here so post claiming otherwise IMO is total nonsense English enough for you

From the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office travel advisory website:

Crime

Eleven British nationals have been murdered in Thailand since January 2009.

Western tourists have been victims of vicious, unprovoked attacks by gangs in Koh Phangan. These attacks are particularly common around the time of the Full Moon parties and generally occur late at night near bars in Haad Rin on Koh Phangan.

In January 2013 a British national was killed in a shooting incident while at a beach party in Haad Rin. Violent assaults and robberies have been reported in the Koh Samui archipelago. Attacks have also occurred in other tourist districts in Thailand including in Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Krabi. Take care, especially at night.

There have been sexual assaults against foreign men and women, especially in the Koh Samui archipelago and Krabi province. Tourists have also been robbed after bringing visitors to their hotel rooms. In some cases their drinks were drugged. Be careful about taking drinks from strangers and at clubs and parties, particularly in Koh Samui, Pattaya and at the Full Moon party on Koh Phangan, where date rapes have been reported.

Alcohol and drugs can lead to you being less alert, less in control and less aware of your environment. If you drink, know your limit. Drinks served in bars overseas are often stronger than those in the UK. Some British nationals have suffered severe psychiatric problems because of drug use, resulting in some suicides.

Be aware of the possibility of credit card fraud. Don’t lose sight of your card during transactions. There have been incidents of ATM skimming in Thailand. Where possible use an ATM within a bank and always protect your PIN.

Be careful to observe demarcation lines between shops and stalls, particularly in market areas and at Suvarnabhumi Airport. Taking items from one shop’s area to another may be treated as suspected theft.

Be on your guard against pickpockets and bag snatchers. Foreigners have had items snatched by thieves on motorbikes when walking along busy streets or travelling in open transport like tuk tuks. If you travel by bus, make sure cash and valuables you have are kept securely. There have been incidents where passengers have had items taken from bags while asleep.

Gem scams are common. There have been reports of visitors buying gems for inflated prices from seemingly respectable establishments then later finding out the stones are worth a tiny fraction of the purchase price.

You should report any incidents of crime to the Thai police before leaving the country.

There are pictures on the net which I will not link to. She has her cloths on but pushed up and pulled down (skirt, top). Savage wounds to the face.

He looks like he might have been knocked out with one blow. He was naked found in the water (though probably that is because of the tide).

They had no chance to fight back.

If they were have sex, so what.

Horrible crime.

The weapon used makes it less likely it was a tourist. But hopefully we will find out for sure in the next day or two.

I read about this in the UK news media.

Horrific is how I would describe it. Condolences to the families involved for their deceased.

This is the sort of incident that needs a serious response and some serious time in a Thai jail for the perpetrators, not to be swept under the carpet.

Oner can almost visualize some of the foreign tourists rushing towards the exits-and rightly so-however Thailand is known for the place to party and for its liberal environment with youngsters, which policy does clash with many local Buddhists etcansd muslims as well),so one may say does Thailand really need the foreign dollars that badly that it can risk corrupting its own children,which of course have been brought down to the hedonistic level of the foreigners by the forced association and the bad example the foreigners(kinnok)set ,and therefore completely ruining whatever culture was here.??Did Thailand really have a drug problem before these deadheads from the west began introducing all things evil,and now we are seeing the result.Just sayin.I have been here over ten years and I can scarcely believe how the local youth have been changed and degraded in that short period of time from what I experienced when first arriving.Cheers.

Rubbish on every level.... Asia has been well aware of every "vice" known to man for centuries.

I know this tiny island very well, my useless speculation is that the perps were laborers (hoe found at scene) from Myanmar (Burmese outnumber Thais on the island) possibly drunk and or tweeking on meth. Everyone knows everyone else so if they were able to stop the first boats out in the morning they will be found soon, if not, maybe on KP, Samui or at Chumpon border crossing...

I agree that speculation is useless for the most part, but it helps set the parameters for what the police should be looking for--and they often seem not even to consider likely scenarios. The one you have posed is a strong possibility and one they will probably first consider--that a "foreigner" is responsible i.e. a Burmese or Cambodian, or at least a transient Thai.

But I think another possible scenario should at least be considered: That the couple went off to find a secluded spot for some adventurous on the beach lovemaking, some local spotted them and--the local possibly being wild drunk or tweeked on meth as you say--took high offense and attacked them. It could have been a case of pent up local anger at "farangs" finding a drunken and heinous channel to unveil itself.

In that respect and in order to be fair, it could also have been a jealous boyfriend or girlfriend of any nationality who caught them in the act.

Before the trolls trounce: Yes, this is pure speculation. But the facts if you look at them seem to make it a likely scenario. And airing these scenarios may put pressure on police to consider them.

My deepest condolences to the families and friends of the deceased, and extreme sadness that these events seem to be more and more common in Thailand.

I was thinking it was the caught in the act by jealous BF or suitor scenario. Certainly seems like a crime of passion to me. Let's wait and see.

Rip. awful,

up dated report http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/15/british-tourists-murdered-thailand-koh-tao

although with the huge ish amounts of meth that's being seized and bearing in mind i doubt that even dents the real amount getting through

this type of violence hardly comes as a shock

and is it me but thsi visa is becoming more and more a mouth piece of the junta, this story is huge yet Thai visa seem to have tucked it away from

the main news and in 'island news', making it really look like they don't want it discussed.

and is it me but thsi visa is becoming more and more a mouth piece of the junta, this story is huge yet Thai visa seem to have tucked it away in

'island news', making it look like they don't want it discussed.

cant agree more.this is national news

People bludgeoned to death on the beach after dark?

In Europe? None that I read this year.

This is most likely a horrendous opportunist crime. Some nutter sees two people and either out of jealousy or murderous impulse bludgeons completely innocent people to death.

This is not common at all particularly in tourist areas. It is an abominable act of pure violence and I hope they find the guy asap.

hi, is this an isolated incident on koh tao, or has there been other violent crimes, rapes or murders that have been kept quite?

Regards

Caitlin

i would say isolated been there so many times just a small fight between drunk people.....the only negative experience was a creepy mototaxi driver who ask me 200 baht after we made an agreement for 100 and looked at me like "pay this or die"

Tragic in so many ways.

Where can you go these days to enjoy yourself without having to deal with predators? Asked rhetorically...

Take a big knife with you when you and your lady go to the beach to chill out.. keep your eyes peeled for ANYONE looking out of place and or approaching you... be prepared to fight for your life...when in doubt attack... hmmmm, great way to spend a relaxing evening on the beach during your vacation.. I think not.

Better to just go to another place that does not have a history of violence... where is that?

xxxxxx... I'm staying home, those places can go under as far as I'm concerned... they are not that spectacular to risk any of this.

As someone else mentioned above... I think farang need to stick together and defend each other in times of need. I really bothers me when I see people just standing by while the lady on the beach gets bullied and sand kicked on her... we are strong in numbers.

There is really no place safe on this Planet. Great idea regarding carrying a knife with you, I always have mine sheathed on me. However, knife fighting is an acquired skill, so practice, practice, practice. Also remember, you don't bring a knife to a gunfight. So, there are limitations. The safest way is be aware of your surroundings, and if someone starts to come at you, attack with everything you have, as you will be probably be fighting for your life. So take "His" keep "Yours"! The Kingdom needs to bring back the Cross-buck and the machine gun for Capital Crimes such as this. Life in prison is not adequate punishment for a crime as horrific as this. R.I.P. to this young couple. Condolences to both of their Families back home.

You do realise that if you get caught carrying a knife you are facing some seriously grilling and trouble, furthermore if you get attacked and react by stabbing someone try explaining that to the police and walking out a free man. I have several knives and machetes, but I wouldn't carry them around with me in fear of being attacked. That is pure folly.

Yes, I realize the consequences of carrying my blade. And Yes, I will have the ability to explain why I had to stab the Perp. Because, there will only be one side to the story and that will be mine. If you think what I believe in is "pure folly" that's your prerogative and not mine. With you having several knives and machetes, I just hope you don't enter into a confrontation being unarmed and wind up as another victim statistic. Good Luck!

Where do you think you are? Some kind of country where you have rights? Like America or Europe?

You obviously have NO idea of the consequences of carrying a sheathed blade, or you wouldn't boast about it.

You have even less idea of what is likely to happen to you if you are ever seen to pull this out in public in front of witnesses.

You think have a *right* to carry a knife for self defence?

This is Thailand.

You are farang.

End of story.

hi, is this an isolated incident on koh tao, or has there been other violent crimes, rapes or murders that have been kept quite?

Regards

Caitlin

A friend of mine (expat) just got jumped and beat up on ko tao only a week or two ago, the 3 thais fled leaving him bloodied at the side of the road. Luckily he escaped with his life.

Regards

Caitlin

A friend of mine (expat) just got jumped and beat up on ko tao only a week or two ago, the 3 thais fled leaving him bloodied at the side of the road. Luckily he escaped with his life.

I got attacked and sexually harassed by a Thai guy in Koh Tao when I walked back from a party four years ago. I was lucky to escape him.I have a very bad feeling there are many more cases.The locals did not seem surprised when I told them but also didn't do anything.

This is another dreadful tragedy and my heartfelt sympathies go out to the families of the deceased - God knows what they must be feeling right now, particularly with all the apparent media attention.

But I have to comment on some of the glaring assumptions that are evident in many of the comments here.

DNA testing? The island "locked down"?

I had the sad misfortune several years ago to be close to hand when a friend was attacked by a burglar he disturbed in his house (on Samui), The burglar panicked, pulled a knife and slashed my friend, before jumping back out of the window. The police turned up excited and happy, smoking as they blundered all about contaminating the crime scene, picking up and examining ornaments and chatting cheerfully to each other, laughing and joking. One even sat down and turned on the TV.

My friend died on his way to hospital.

The house was then simply left there, open and unsealed, until a team from Bangkok arrived two days later to take fingerprints. At that time the police on Samui had no facility to do this - maybe today they have, but I don't simply assume this is the case.

And I'm quite certain that "DNA testing" is equally as suspect. So many people commenting here simply assume that DNA testing will automatically happen, because this is what happens in their own countries. Firstly, you can be sure that the integrity of the scene was wrecked by dozens of people tramping all over it, moving things and handling things long before the police got there. Second, there is the more-than-likely possibility that the police then added to the mayhem, in the same way.

In the 15 years I have lived here I have never before heard of DNA tests being used in serious crimes on Samui - as far as I am aware there is no police protocol for doing this - although the international hospitals here certainly have the facility. And then the police notion that anyone leaving would be catching a public ferry? An island with hundreds of private boats coming and going? If it's a local he's long gone and even with fingerprinting (after everyone and his dog has handled the bloody hoe and taken photos of it for their Facebook page) - you have to be able to catch the culprit before you can match his prints. And the same applies by the time someone gets to taking DNA samples.

By the way - this is a Thai hoe - not what you assume if you read this from abroad

15064064018_935d0a7f0e_o.jpg

The saddest thing of all is that this kind of thing, involving tourists or visitors, only ever happens in areas where so many tourists are gathered together. This attracts all the scum and lowlife, as they see passing farangs as easy targets. The other 95% of this country is filled with gentle, shy, warm-heated and delightful people who would help, feed and shelter you without a thought, if you needed it. Unfortunately for young travelers, they are going to head for that 5% of the party belt which is most dangerous to them (partying in Nakhon sri Thammarat is not on their map) and also these places are full of Thai people who really don't represent the true nature of the Thais.

I sincerely hope that justice is done, and the police don't just panic and nab some vagrant laborer just for the sake of appearances. But this is Thailand. And things just don't work the same way here as they do in your country.

R

and is it me but thsi visa is becoming more and more a mouth piece of the junta, this story is huge yet Thai visa seem to have tucked it away in

'island news', making it look like they don't want it discussed.

cant agree more.this is national news

It went out in the Newsletter and has nearly 50,000 views in 12 hours so hardly trying to hide it are we? It is also in the main news section with several reports in Thailand Live. Also on Thaivisa Facebook. I would say plenty of exposure given to this horrible incident.

Archived