Bodies of foreign tourists found brutally murdered on Koh Tao beach

webfact

There appears to be an undercurrent of racism seeping throughout much of this awful Thread.

Many respondents are disparaging towards the Thai nationals who the “presume” to be guilty of these horrific crimes (more than one crime having occurred). Assumptions, without evidence, having already been made as to the race of the guilty party(s).

I am almost hoping, from a selfish perspective, that the perpetrator was a fellow caucasian under the influence of whatever mind-altering substance many of our Western “kids” indulge in, whilst in LOS.

Better that than another premeditated and callous act on the part of yet another “evil” Thai or Thais - with whom I hope to share my Autumn years, in the not too distant future. Further, my own twenty-something daughter and my own twenty-something son already have their rooms booked on this very island for a few weeks time so better this is an abberation than what appears to becoming a pattern of the "normality" of risks for tourists in what is increasingly difficult to refer to as "The Land of Smiles" anymore

My most sincere condolences and thoughts go out to the loved ones of these victims and my unbearable regret that they have been denied their right to what is ordinarily considered a full lifetime.

As an edit:

Racism is almost invariably a two-way-street and I, for one, would like to see the term "Farang" (which is a disparaging descrition of a "foreigner" which is used and even encouraged to be used by Thai children from the moment they begin uttering their first words) be made to be as intollerable and unacceptable as is the "N" word in much of Western culture, these days (but I ain't holding my breath)

There is an undercurrent of suspicion which is either justified by historical precedent or is not. Issues such as Thai "racism" (your word) towards "farang", a consistent history of Thai-on-tourist murder, and a consistent history of seeming Thai police cover-ups all combine to fuel such suspicion. We shall have wait and see how this case unfolds. Being a subhuman "racist" I will bet on the perpetrator being local. I can see how learning to shuffle the truth under the carpet is good preparation for living in LOS though. Good luck and pray that you are not on the list of the fallen.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIP...

Note to Tourists: Safety First... be aware, it's easy to be murdered here.

No it's not, or else you wouldn't be here along with Thousands of other people who CHOOSE to be in Thailand.

Yes it is. It's really easy to get killed, die, or be murdered in Thailand, and much easier than in most counties where foreigners who choose to live here come from. I've been here long enough and seen enough o know that. Tourists forget this while on holiday.

I cannot believe it

R.I.P.

All my sincere condolences to families and relatives.

And yes, indeed, this is really awfull.

But Angiud, having spent myself more than my time around and knowing, same as you do I presume, some of the local characters -especially on Tao- I am sorry to say that is not surprising me.

Sadly what springs to my mind is the possibility that they had been making love on the beach , after a party and a few drinks .

That would be no surprise in a western country , but in Thailand nudity and sexuality is strictly taboo , the more so in rural or isolated areas .

Thailand isn't a playground where holiday makers can cast off all discretion and do as one likes , their are strict codes of behaviour that should be respected .

I'm so sorry that this should happen , my simpathy goes to their families .

According to Daily News, they have arrested a male friend of the deceased male. It doesn't say if that person is a Thai or a foreigner, but it is indicated that he might have been in sort of a relationship with the deceased.

Who has been released because the injuries on his body are from a previous issue at a Full Moon Party on Koh Phan Ngan. Hang on a second....isn't that a significant lead? facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif

RIP...

Note to Tourists: Safety First... be aware, it's easy to be murdered here.

No it's not, or else you wouldn't be here along with Thousands of other people who CHOOSE to be in Thailand.

Yes it is. It's really easy to get killed, die, or be murdered in Thailand, and much easier than in most counties where foreigners who choose to live here come from.

If you really believe that, why are you still in Thailand ?

There are many areas in amazing Thailand controlled by cahoots. I had been married to a Thai, her brother killed somebody, parents solved issue pay certain amount to the RTP and he run free. Also RTP know he's involved in drug dealing. Just share profit and everything get solved. Thailand real! No clean up of scum. Better to leave.

The foreign embassies have had a number of cases of people getting lost in a drug enhanced miasma/haze that is the cause of a number of problems.

I do hope the NCPO get into this one and cleans up things a lot.

The Thai newspaper Khao Sot quotes Police Lt-Col Kiatapong Khaosamang: "We believe that the perpetrator(s) is still on the island, because the incident occurred between 3am and 5am, and there have been large waves [preventing boats leaving].

The head of the Tourist Promotion Office for Koh Pha Ngan, Ms. Wonnee Thaipanit, was quoted as saying: "If it is found that a foreign worker did this, we urgently need to start managing the foreign labour force, of which there are a great number on the island."

Authorities said, according to the newspaper, that they need to solve this case quickly in order to restore confidence among foreign visitors to Thailand, but concede that this will have a short-term effect on foreign tourism.

http://www.khaosod.co.th/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRReE1EYzJOVGcwTVE9PQ==

Appalling news, RIP

There is no doubt this kind of thing is becoming more frequent in popular tourist locations, rarely is anyone convicted and jailed, a nasty trend. I would say Thailand is no safer for tourists than any other SE Asian country now, and in some ways more dangerous.

Lets hope they catch who is responsible asap

PS why is this not in headline news topics ? one of the most serious reports of late yet its shoved on a local forum ???? Really TV im surprised,

Thailand has become more and more unsafe for foreigners over the years I'm sorry to say

But people do put themselves at risk by drinking too heavily and making themselves vulnerable

I guess I'm an old misery but attending beach raves and getting blind drunk is my perception of Hell

I'd rather be safe and boring thanks

Of course Thailand is not unique. Where there are murders any where in the World drink and drugs are not usually far away, and, of course, many of the horrendous road death statistics in Thailand share the same root causes

Sober up and stay safe friends

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The only way to solve this problem (and I have only been here half a decade so I assume those old timers saying things have changed is true), is to address why at the very core. Sure catching and prosecuting the offenders is a given, but that is like taking a tiny part of a cancerous tumor away, it doesn't address the entire issue. Why are these violent crimes occurring more often, what is encouraging it to happen? This is the thought process that the authorities and government should be taking, if they I is another matter.

Simple answer. Go and check any internet place on any street corner and see what they are playing. I believe that hollywood has got a lot to answer for.

I think you are correct to a great degree, and perhaps its not just Hollywood. Its seems there are just more and more movies that contain LOTS of gun violence, and then how about all of those video games. All of this is NOT sending any good messages to our youth, regardless of their country of origin.

Thailand has become more and more unsafe for foreigners over the years I'm sorry to say

But people do put themselves at risk by drinking too heavily and making themselves vulnerable

I guess I'm an old misery but attending beach raves and getting blind drunk is my perception of Hell

I'd rather be safe and boring thanks

Of course Thailand is not unique. Where there are murders any where in the World drink and drugs are not usually far away, and, of course, many of the horrendous road death statistics in Thailand share the same root causes

Sober up and stay safe friends

Nothing wrong in being boring and safe, I am only 26 but never venture out to bars and would never head to the full moon party, a meal with the better half and some wine would do just fine. back in my late teens though I would probably be walking around Koh Phangan out of my face on multiple Es. I have grown old very quickly tongue.png

Also as you said murders happen any where, they do indeed and happen every minute around the world but what makes this slightly different is the brutality of it and the location, Koh Tao has never seen such a thing from what I have read.

Sadly what springs to my mind is the possibility that they had been making love on the beach , after a party and a few drinks .

That would be no surprise in a western country , but in Thailand nudity and sexuality is strictly taboo , the more so in rural or isolated areas .

Thailand isn't a playground where holiday makers can cast off all discretion and do as one likes , their are strict codes of behaviour that should be respected .

I'm so sorry that this should happen , my simpathy goes to their families .

I can't figure out why this "Sherlock" show is so popular on the tube, when people could just come here and see crimes solved in seconds, making that Holmes person look frankly incompetent.

lets be honest these murder are too much common in thailand, a couple of weeks ago they found 2 headless body near pattaya.

But this gruesome murder/rape remember me another story : 2 years ago, a young british couple, 21 yo, were heavily assaulted in krabi by a thai gang with machete. The young guy suffered heavy wound. They were assaulted because the thai scum wanted to raped his girlfriend.

I can not post the link because its not allowed on this forum, but you can google "I Feared Gang Was Intent on Rape, Says Badly Stabbed, Slashed British Tourist"

Inspite, the victims are quite often from Uk, the young british are still coming here in number. I wonder when their embassy will give a strong warning against traveling in this #### country!

Looks like a case of bad judgment brought about by alcohol and hormones, and some local was outraged.

RIP kids. So sorry for you. It shouldn't have cost you your lives.

Find who the hoe belongs to. There's the killer.

This isn't Saudi Arabia...and it's not as if they were screwing on a Buddha statue.

No, this was likely a sexual motive from someone off their head.

wow terrible news! from the more peaceful cousin of Koh Phangan. looks like the Meth has taken a firm grip of the locals there too now.

No evidence so far as to who committed this appalling crime.

Why assume it a local? Holiday island, many visitors.

Because this is Thailand!!! That'a why!!!!!! bah.gif

the double murders could affect thai tourism.what a statement.

what about the affect on the victims family's.

i am so ashamed to say i live here.

R.I.P.

I never tell anyone I have anything to do with the place any more.

I am so sad and upset to read this. Koh Tao is not safe! I have been attacked myself in 2010 when I walked back from a party at night. That horrible bastard tried to drag me in the jungle. I was very lucky to get away and only my phone got stolen. A local who passed by just minutes after refused to help me and I had to run all the way back in the dark fearing another attack.When I reported it to the staff of my resort they seemed to have been aware that these things are going on but turned a blind eye on it. Looking back I am angry with myself for not having reported it to the local police but I doubt they would have done anything. Even more upsetting to read about this horrible case. Blaming the migrant workers is always easy, how can they assume that without having a clue. In my case it was clearly a Thai person, male, in his early 20ies, chubby and riding a motorbike. May the poor souls of these two young people who just wanted to have a nice time in Thailand rest in peace. I hope the authorities wake up and step up security not only on Koh Tao but all holiday destinations. Be careful and do not wander around after dark. My thoughts are with the families and friends of the two.

There was a Ferry that left at 6:00 today, just one..

That''s the RTP off the hook, then.

They can go back to their somtam, ya dong and collecting tea-money - as there is surely no point wasting time and energy investigating with the anonymous Burmese miscreant having clearly fled the scene.

Archived