Rejected at the airport with a valid visa!

While I was being kept there waiting there the airline confiscated my passport .(Turkish airlines and its partner Thai airways staff) I told them I want my passport and see the reason why I'm being denied entry. They kept on replying" maidai maidai" for everything I said.T hen they said I should be thankful for them not being held in detention and that they let me wait at the departures section of the airport. So I must pay 700 baht for the guy who watched me there

.If I refused to board the plane they said I will have to pay 750 baht each day for staying at the detention center and buy another return ticket. I was OK for staying in jail for days but didn't want to pay to buy another ticket if it didn't work out.So I boarded the plane. They didn't even give a chance me to ask some official why this was all being done to me.

While I was being kept there waiting there the airline confiscated my passport .(Turkish airlines and its partner Thai airways staff) I told them I want my passport and see the reason why I'm being denied entry. They kept on replying" maidai maidai" for everything I said.T hen they said I should be thankful for them not being held in detention and that they let me wait at the departures section of the airport. So I must pay 700 baht for the guy who watched me there

.If I refused to board the plane they said I will have to pay 750 baht each day for staying at the detention center and buy another return ticket. I was OK for staying in jail for days but didn't want to pay to buy another ticket if it didn't work out.So I boarded the plane. They didn't even give a chance me to ask some official why this was all being done to me.

The AIRLINE confiscated your passport ?

Or was the passport handed to the airline by immigration as is normal in the case of those being deported..

Airlines are not authorized to confiscate passports.

Getting the visa would be the best option. It is to late this time but you do have a right to appeal the denial of entry under this section of the immigration act. The fee for the appeal is 1900 baht. "Section 22 ...

OP - be sure to take the train and use the Pedang Besar crossing - not Sadao - and let us know what happens.

UJ - It would appear that appeal could result in detention for up to 7 days? I am not sure how much money someone would need to pay me to wait in detention for a week. Unless I am mistaken, there is no option to spend those days in an "air-side" hotel. Maybe, in practice, they do it more quickly - but as they were set on giving the OP a hard time, it would seem they could have dragged it out.

I don't understand why you keep suggesting to do entries at a land border. The chances of being denied entry at a land border increase by a large amount verses an airport.

It would be in detention at at the airport. Not sure it is legal for them to charge for the detention they don't at other detention centers.

UJ - I defer to your experince as to the liklihood of denial at airports vs land-borders. I don't recall any reports of people with valid visas and 20K cash being turned around entering at Nong Khai, so that is why I suggested entering from Laos. Airports have even turned away people coming back on re-entry permits on valid visas.

But it is the consequences of a denial that most concern me - namely being held 'captive' like a criminal and sent on an expensive, unplanned trip somewhere far, far away. Being "turned around" at a land-border would only be 'an inconvenience', by comparision.

• 2 weeks later...

You had more than enough financial proof to show. Did you have a return or onward ticket?

Getting a visa prior to returning to Thailand would lessen the chances of being denied again. Perhaps try to enroll in a school before trying again and obtain a single entry non-ed visa. If not then get a single entry tourist visa.

"Meanwhile he was checking my previous entries into Thailand which were about 15x since the beginning of 2013. "

Perhaps the IO's suspected he was living and working in Thailand using an inappropriate series of visas to do so.

Maybe he will scan and post the stamp placed in the passport at the time of refusal.

This chap may be wise to not attempt any immediate return.

There is no clause under section twelve that states a denial can be done for staying here to long on assorted visas. It seem he was denied enty under clause 2 for lack of financial proof which was incorrect.

That may well be the case and one may argue that it is the case, however in the instance where "...the IO's suspected he was living and working in Thailand using an inappropriate series of visas to do so....", an IO can apply whatever statute he sees fit to enforce the refusal. Whether it is an inappropriate application of a statute or the correct application of a statute based on a flawed or totally incorrect, personal assumption is of no consequence with regard to his decision.

There is an appeals process but it may be designed to discourage its use by anyone being refused entry. With the 48-hour filing, 7-day decision stipulations and the unstated but pretty clear assumption that you will be in some form of detention while this faux appeals process plays out, the Immigration police are fairly well assured that they won't be working overtime on last-ditch airport appeal cases.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 31.5.2016 at 5:53 PM, ubonjoe said:

I don't understand why you keep suggesting to do entries at a land border. The chances of being denied entry at a land border increase by a large amount verses an airport.

It would be in detention at at the airport. Not sure it is legal for them to charge for the detention they don't at other detention centers.

a horrible and unfair treatment for sure.....only one thought: why insisting to stay in a country that obviously dont want you there and dont welcome u at all....why you want to learn the language from such a country that treats you unfair and unreasonable ..... ???

• 9 months later...

I don't see anything wrong with the following:

"As a conclusion, if you are really not working as you don't need to, if you can not (gays) or do not want to get married to a thai citizen, if you are less than 50 years old, you have NO SOLUTIONS to stay in the kingdom on a long term basis."

I can see problems with the following:

"Unless if you would accept to spend 500,000 THB to purchase the Elite card named Thailand easy Access Menbership card. "

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hstew said:

why would ANYONE come to thailand to attend school, study, etc, unless the ulterior motive is to obtain a visa.

Case closed.

It's not "ulterior" - it is part of the package to encourage people to study here, because they spend money from their home-countries while studying here.  This is a good thing for Thailand.

The only exception is those working-illegally, who would be very easy to catch at the schools where they teach, dive-spot piers, etc.