Good and Legal weapon for Defending Oneself in Thailand?

waynethor

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Don't carry a weapon. Carry a brain.

You should be able to avoid or talk your way out of any situation using the brain you're carrying.

If you truly need to carry a weapon, hire someone to do it for you.

A man carries a brain.

A grunt carries a weapon.

Men hire grunts to protect them.

" talk your way out of any situation using the brain you're carrying."

Really?

So I'm unlucky to get involved in an altercation with a Thai (who speaks NO English) and I speak NO Thai.........PLEASE tell me how I am supposed to "talk my way out of the situation"? I would love to know.

Edited by n210mp

What can we carry for self-defense? I suppose pepper spray might be one of the best bets as it can't actually kill a person but is probably effective in rendering an attacker helpless, but I don't want to carry a can of it around in my pocket.

OP

If you have to ask that question.

The answer for you is very simple. STAY AWAY.

Always follow your flight instinct.

Edited by JockPieandBeans

The weapon I carry is my wallet. I am pretty sure in most situations if there is a problem, then they will be happy to take my money. My life is more valuable than 10k baht. If I am being robbed, I want to make sure I have what they are looking for. Otherwise who knows what they will do.

That being said, I have never been in a situation where I have been attacked. I never feel the need to carry a weapon. Thailand is not a place where foreigners are treated fairly in a dispute, so I don't see how carrying a weapon will resolve a situation in a positive way.

^^You have no clue. Have you ever had a 1200 lumen flashlight shined in your eyes at night? Try it and see if you are still sitting there laughing.

What if there is more than 1 attacker what you going to do stand there in the dark with your light beam like ob1 Kenobi shouting feel the force??

In a street attack from the back or side useless even if attacked from the front but was unaware again useless unless you can get your attacker to stand still for a mo whilst your try to aim the light in his eyes.

In the real world this ain't going to work unless your both in a standoff like Butch Cassidy, and the Sundance Kid. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Norman Stanley Fletcher

You ask a good question and you get back stuff like don't go out late etc etc. I think hear if your caught with a weapon if any kind your in for deep shit, even in self defense saying that I would say staying safe here is a one way street. I do no one foreigner who is in BKK Hilton at present

I have lived here for seven years and not once in that time have I been close to having any sort of physical altercation with a Thai.

I've lived here for 14 years and the only times I've come close to having a fight is when I've lost my rag because of somebody's shitty driving. Unless you are spectacularly unlucky, if you don't want to have a fight, you're just not going to have one. This really is not something you need to worry about.

Same here.

I am short tempered. Had some fights back home. Here in Thailand I find Thais not aggressive. Never been in a fight for 8 years.

Once only I lost my wits when a driver made a U-turn from the left side lane of a three lane divided country road. I was going 100km/h and he stopped in my right lane failing to complete his U-turn because of traffic in opposite direction. I virtually stood on my brake pedal. My tyres screached and my car stopped about 20cm from his front drivers door. I got really mad! I jumped out with a wheel nut driver and was going to smash his windows all over. My wife saved the day. She stood firmly between me and his car saying: "He is sorry, he is sorry!" The guy was sitting in his car, holding a 'wai' but if not for my wife I would smash his car.

As to OP question - did you try to have a gun or a knife in Australia on you? Guilty! Perhaps not in USA, but in Oz - it's a no-no...

As to self-defence - anything goes. There is plenty of things you can use if under attack: stick, stone, sand, boots, fists, teeth, eye pocking, a pencil, a fork, etc. - whatever is at hand. Something is always there, no need to carry with you.

You should be able to avoid or talk your way out of any situation using the brain you're carrying.

A man carries a brain.

Really?

So I'm unlucky to get involved in an altercation with a Thai (who speaks NO English) and I speak NO Thai.........PLEASE tell me how I am supposed to "talk my way out of the situation"? I would love to know.

Learn to speak and understand Thai using that brain you're carrying.

That will come in handy if the attacker is Hungarian or French

I have lived here for seven years and not once in that time have I been close to having any sort of physical altercation with a Thai.

I've lived here for 14 years and the only times I've come close to having a fight is when I've lost my rag because of somebody's shitty driving. Unless you are spectacularly unlucky, if you don't want to have a fight, you're just not going to have one. This really is not something you need to worry about.

Same here.

I am short tempered. Had some fights back home. Here in Thailand I find Thais not aggressive. Never been in a fight for 8 years.

Once only I lost my wits when a driver made a U-turn from the left side lane of a three lane divided country road. I was going 100km/h and he stopped in my right lane failing to complete his U-turn because of traffic in opposite direction. I virtually stood on my brake pedal. My tyres screached and my car stopped about 20cm from his front drivers door. I got really mad! I jumped out with a wheel nut driver and was going to smash his windows all over. My wife saved the day. She stood firmly between me and his car saying: "He is sorry, he is sorry!" The guy was sitting in his car, holding a 'wai' but if not for my wife I would smash his car.

As to OP question - did you try to have a gun or a knife in Australia on you? Guilty! Perhaps not in USA, but in Oz - it's a no-no...

As to self-defence - anything goes. There is plenty of things you can use if under attack: stick, stone, sand, boots, fists, teeth, eye pocking, a pencil, a fork, etc. - whatever is at hand. Something is always there, no need to carry with you.

You gotta relax mate ok, just settle down.

Lucky for him your wife held you back :D

A man carries a brain.

Really?

If you can't talk to him, it's pretty hard to see how you would get into an altercation in the first place.

Are you serious?

Who said the "altercation' had to be verbal?? Maybe his actions pissed me off or I did something to piss him off.

Judging by the OP's mouth, he probably pisses off many, and has a valid need to defend himself. Until he meets the wrong person at the wrong time. Then we will be reading about him in the news forum.

• Like 1

Judging by the OP's mouth, he probably pisses off many, and has a valid need to defend himself. Until he meets the wrong person at the wrong time. Then we will be reading about him in the news forum.

clap2.gif You found the words I couldn't find.

In that case, two things.

1. Don't do things which are likely to piss people off. In Thailand, that is very easy. Don't act like an <deleted> in public and you'll be left alone so no problems there for any vaguely sentient adults.

2. If someone does something to piss you off then walk away. Since it's guaranteed to be something extremely minor, this should not pose too much of a problem either.

You don't necessarily have to act like an a--hole to piss someone off. It could be something completely innocent that sets someone off.

Your suggestions are easier said than done.

The mind is the greatest weapon, use it well.

It is filled with all kinds of tools.....awareness, common sense, intuition.....

That should cover you for 99.9% of problems...for any others, reach for your wallet and come to a settlement with the other party.

• Like 1

The problem with this is sometimes your pants fall down when you take the belt off. Braces or suspenders or a rope can help with this.

If you are afraid of your pants falling down try an umbrella. Notice the hat detail.

post-187908-0-70763400-1411024317_thumb.

post-187908-0-36176900-1411024511_thumb.

Edited by thailiketoo

Frankly I am shocked at this thread, and all the p*ss poor advice, Where are the Ex-SAS, Navy Seal, EX CIA, FBI, Delta force members advice !!!

I was really hoping to see a post from Dave Walt (Ex-SAS Walt mobility troop - Pattaya division) giving his words of wisdom of how you kill someone with a ball point pen, slash someones femoral artery with a piece of A4 photo copy paper, how to insert a wooden chop stick into someones rectum and make their nose bleed profusely...

They're in the bar offering their advice on a one-to-one basis....

Frankly I am shocked at this thread, and all the p*ss poor advice, Where are the Ex-SAS, Navy Seal, EX CIA, FBI, Delta force members advice !!!

I was really hoping to see a post from Dave Walt (Ex-SAS Walt mobility troop - Pattaya division) giving his words of wisdom of how you kill someone with a ball point pen, slash someones femoral artery with a piece of A4 photo copy paper, how to insert a wooden chop stick into someones rectum and make their nose bleed profusely...

Yes I'm surprised Dave Walt isn't here to show us how to decapitate six people simultaneously with a Doner Kebab.

• Like 1

To answer the OPs question, get a small collapsible baton, then get some training on how to use it... A small baton can be carried in your pocket and extended within a second... In a bad situation, just getting it open, then jumping up and down like Bruce Lee and screaming bloody murder might scare off an attacker... That is unless they sneak up behind you and bash in your head with a rock...

are they legal?

I've seen street vendors selling them in Thailand for years, plus a buddy of mine that lives on the Dark Side in Pattaya always carries one... Not sure of the technical legality, but TiT after all...

A man carries a brain.

Really?

Just smile and hold out your hand thee oldest form of communication.

A pen in the shirt pocket can be a game changer.

In a second it can pierce an attacker's throat, eyes, neck arteries, the top of the hands, breaking bones.

Then slip to the left quickly getting behind and choke that person out or break the neck!

If no pen and if close bite into the throat, take them down until dead.

Lions have no knives.

No problem.

Op, banging your head against the wall I'm afraid. You be better off asking the cat than this clueless bunch who think using their brain and being respectful to the yabba-eating goon who's about to attack them will see them right. lol

This is the best reply on this thread. A clueless bunch of apologists indeed, that will bow, wai, bend over, suck, reverse, grovel, slobber, etc. that say respect the Thais, and you will not have a problem. Wise up