Koh Tao - DNA tests do not match with those of suspects in British tourists' murder

webfact

DNA tests do not match with those of suspects in British tourists’ murder

9-18-2014-12-01-40-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Laboratory tests of the DNA found at the crime scene where two British tourists were battered to death on Koh Tao on Sunday do not match with the DNA of the suspects held in police custody, including a British national, according to well-informed sources from the National Police Office.

Evidences collected from the crime scene that were sent for tests of DNA include three cigarette butts found about 50 metres from where the two British tourists were killed.

One cigarette has lipstick mark. DNA of two people were found in the second cigarette and the DNA of a third person was found in the third cigarette butt.

However, the tests show that the DNA found in one cigarette butt match with the DNA found in the semen, said the sources.

The sources added that since none of the Myanmar and British suspects had the same DNA with the DNA found in the evidences, police would have to continue their hunt for the real killers who are still at large.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dna-tests-match-suspects-british-tourists-murder/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-18

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds to me as though there might have been multiple killers because of the sea water found in the male victim's lungs and evidence of a struggle by wounds on his body. One or more assailants was possibly attacking him including dragging him into the water, while one or more assailants was attacking the girl. The semen does not match the DNA of any of the suspects currently, and sound more like the actions of a local gang.

What possibly started as a rape ended in a double murder perhaps. Based on this and the murder weapon (the hoe), the investigation should also focus on local Thai suspects, as they have avoided even the mention of this for tourism reasons thus far only vaguely referring to one Asian-looking suspect.

It would be nice to know if the DNA found in the semen was connected to the shared cigarette or the unshared one (or the lipstick one, but they didn't say they found DNA on that one). And what was the sex of the DNA found. If the shared one, then you have a strong suggestion of at least two attackers.

A hoe as a murder weapon seems to imply local people because tourists don't usually have access to hoes at night on the beach. Nor would they be likely to use one as a weapon, being unfamiliar with it.

Edited by canuckamuck

Why did the two brothers that were on holiday with the dead male decide to leave at such an early stage and without their companion? I smell huge amounts of bullshit.

It may be because they have something to hide. However, it may also be because they have heard about the justice system here and did not like the idea of being locked up with no evidence against them like the other Brit.

A sad result of the island being owned and policed by gangsters. More stories will start pouring out now, such as this one

http://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2014/09/17/islander-who-was-glassed-in-murder-island-koh-tao-tells-of-his-lucky-escape/

That the police have always covered up for the young wealthy scions of the influential local families has led to their feeling of being totally untouchable.

Why did the two brothers that were on holiday with the dead male decide to leave at such an early stage and without their companion? I smell huge amounts of bullshit.

I thought long and hard about that aspect. Several scenarios such as their flight tickets were due that night, maybe starting university nex week, money ran out, parents telling them to get home after the police interviews etc. Who knows? Maybe one police officer gave them permission to go, another decided to ask more questions.

One thing for sure. They couldn't help their friend anymore.

Edited by Robroona

They still haven't said if the blood on the hoe matched that of the victims. I would think they should be coming out with that first. They are trying to hard to blame someone and make arrests for the sake of it. It's also interesting that BBC are still stating the pair were captured on cctv when it was retracted earlier on, and also they mention that a motive may be that they were having sex on the beach which is taboo in Thai culture!

They still haven't said if the blood on the hoe matched that of the victims. I would think they should be coming out with that first. They are trying to hard to blame someone and make arrests for the sake of it. It's also interesting that BBC are still stating the pair were captured on cctv when it was retracted earlier on, and also they mention that a motive may be that they were having sex on the beach which is taboo in Thai culture!

What rubbish. At 4am they would have reasonably expected to have complete privacy. Their actions wouldn't have upset anyone. They were clearly stalked by predatory males, and then raped and killed.

I don't know where all this 'upsetting' the locals comes from. I have seen Thai couples having sex in a local park at night while I was out running. Also walked in on students at it in a classroom once.

What rubbish. At 4am they would have reasonably expected to have complete privacy. Their actions wouldn't have upset anyone. They were clearly stalked by predatory males, and then raped and killed.

I don't know where all this 'upsetting' the locals comes from. I have seen Thai couples having sex in a local park at night while I was out running. Also walked in on students at it in a classroom once.

Spot On Jeremy but of course it's different for non-Thais and even more when struggling for an excuse.

This is a copy (slightly edited) of a post I made elsewhere in T.V. concerning this horrific crime

I am of the opinion there is a grand cover up operation in this matter .

The Thai's have been down this road before when someone of ''influence'' may be involved or somehow connected to the crime(s).

I refer to the murder of Kirtsy Jones in 2000.

After the DNA tests seemingly drawing a blank on the Brits being held, it may be worth taking DNA tests of all persons, particularly the big wealthy families along Sairee and elsewhere in KT.

I am sure if it was one of their brood, they will be long gone, but if they test the families there may be some kind of DNA family link that could be drawn (i am not sure this is possible with DNA)

Sadly if reports are true it looks like they are starting to draw out on all major leads already.

Despite reports that this is very uncommon, there have always been violent incidents in KT, and AC Bar has a long history of unsavory incidents, which no one is ever caught for.

Thai workers don't generally leave hoes laying about. At the end of the work day the hoe goes home with the worker. I am guessing the hoe was bought to the beach with intent to do harm.

Agree, workers are particularly careful with keeping all their work tools safe, it can mean the difference between working and not.

As per usual too much information about this is being released and as the Police have to my knowledge POOR investigative skills plus the complete lack of any suggestion that possibly a Thai national could have been involved .

While one must not out of hand condemn the Police actions thus far, they should have Police spokes-person who co-ordinates the information released, not every Tom Dick and Harry who wishes to be in the press for the moment.

This is a tragic and very sad incident with major implicatgions on the safety and security of Tourists on this and in fact at any Thai resort, so swift correct and good investigation is required tio ensure the culprits are found and dealt with under Thai law, so far it seems investigation with knee jerk reactions, not a good recipe for ensuring a good conviction.

It sounds to me as though there might have been multiple killers because of the sea water found in the male victim's lungs and evidence of a struggle by wounds on his body. One or more assailants was possibly attacking him including dragging him into the water, while one or more assailants was attacking the girl. The semen does not match the DNA of any of the suspects currently, and sound more like the actions of a local gang.

What possibly started as a rape ended in a double murder perhaps. Based on this and the murder weapon (the hoe), the investigation should also focus on local Thai suspects, as they have avoided even the mention of this for tourism reasons thus far only vaguely referring to one Asian-looking suspect.

I have wondered if this was a gang rape and killing. IIRC the woman was raped in both "places" and the man in one. I wondered how one guy could have the energy, if you will.