Murdered Briton's family pleads for 'considerate' media coverage

webfact

Murdered Briton's Family Pleads For 'Considerate' Media Coverage
By Khaosod English

BANGKOK – After arriving in Bangkok today, the relatives of one of the British tourists murdered in southern Thailand this week have requested respectful media coverage, a senior police officer said.

The family of Hannah Witheridge, 23, arrived in Thailand today to meet with police about the investigation of the murder. Ms. Witheridge was found bludgeoned to death alongside another British tourist, David Miller, 24, in a rocky alcove on Koh Tao island on 15 September.

"They are not suspicious about the autopsy report," said Pol.Gen. Charampon Suramanee, assistant to the chief of Royal Thai Police. "But they asked the press to present news in a manner that is constructive and mindful of the feeling of the relatives of the deceased."

The comment came amid growing criticism of major Thai media agencies for taking what many are calling an unethical and insensitive approach to covering the murder story.

Many Thai-language and Thailand-based news sites drew condemnation early on for publishing the full names and photos of the deceased before it was confirmed that their families had been notified.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1411035371

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-09-18

This is all too common in Thailand where the victim is pointed out during a controlled photo shot for the media.

Having many Thai friends on Facebook it is all too comment to see terribly and insensitive photos of victims of crime published. It is as if they have been desensitized.

As a father and family man I detest the Thai media for this and this alone, especially when a parent loses their child in such circumstances.

The parents must be in deep sorrow and I hope the media respect their wishes.

• Like 2

This is all too common in Thailand where the victim is pointed out during a controlled photo shot for the media.

Having many Thai friends on Facebook it is all too comment to see terribly and insensitive photos of victims of crime published. It is as if they have been desensitized.

As a father and family man I detest the Thai media for this and this alone, especially when a parent loses their child in such circumstances.

Can't believe I am saying this but this has to be the first post of yours that is quite sensible and I actually agree with.

The reporting about the autopsy results where horrible. There was absolutly no reason to go into details on what evidence where found of a sexual motive for the murders. It should not have been given in that detail from the police to the press and it should not be printed without rewriting by the press. And on the off chance something like this would come from some emotionally stumped reporter, there is an editor that should stop such reporting. It is a tragedy for the family made so much worse by the country that the tragedy happened in and the mindset that have been alowed to develop in modern Thailand.

The British media are deplorable too. I am reading that they are hounding the families for a scoop. It's to my understanding that they are currently camped outside the hotel of the parents of the brothers being questioned by Thai police and were waiting for them when they got of the ferry....

Both sets of media acting disgustingly in their own ways.

• Like 1

Why the Thai don't openly say that small bikini's are not allowed so girls who like to wear them better go elsewhere to the beach. Problem solved i would think.

In all newspapers is that juntaleader making apologises now (all over Europe and more) but that's such a shame. Better say it as it is me thinks.

"As a father and family man I detest the Thai media for this and this alone, especially when a parent loses their child in such circumstances."

Have you read any of the threads on Thai Visa posted by farang about the deaths of Thais or other farang? It's a circus. Far worse than anything you'll see in the Thai media. The speculative nonsense and ghoulishness goes well beyond childish insensitivity.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

I agree but this is Thailand.

The thai meda will report it as they always do . With pictures of victims or suspects passports and full names for the whole world to see if you search for it.

Edited by balo

The British media are deplorable too. I am reading that they are hounding the families for a scoop. It's to my understanding that they are currently camped outside the hotel of the parents of the brothers being questioned by Thai police and were waiting for them when they got of the ferry....

Too true.

Honestly, why would anyone have the entire family travel to retrieve the body?

Better to send one representative only.

Hopefully they have disconnected themselves from Social media sites where crass and vulgar responses from demented posters are never in short supply.

Poor family. Their entire world has been forever destroyed by this act of violence.

Too true.

I for one would like to hear the two brothers versions of events the Thai authorities seemed only to happy to hang them out to dry at least the British press would have sought there release by publicising what was going on where as the Thais cover every thing up it has got to be one of the most corrupt nations in the world if you have money you can buy your way out of anything ?

"As a father and family man I detest the Thai media for this and this alone, especially when a parent loses their child in such circumstances."[/size]

Have you read any of the threads on Thai Visa posted by farang about the deaths of Thais or other farang? It's a circus. Far worse than anything you'll see in the Thai media. The speculative nonsense and ghoulishness goes well beyond childish insensitivity.[/size]

If nobody speculated on this crime.

Mr. Ware would already have been convicted and sentenced.

Only media and public attention to this crime will force anything like a valid conviction.

Not only that, but media and public discussion may help convince some young female tourists, not to come on holiday to Thailand where they can be raped and murdered, which must be a good thing.

Even the horrific victim pictures, if it stops one young woman coming here to be raped and murdered, it would be worthwhile showing them.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Honestly, why would anyone have the entire family travel to retrieve the body?

Better to send one representative only.

Hopefully they have disconnected themselves from Social media sites where crass and vulgar responses from demented posters are never in short supply.

Poor family. Their entire world has been forever destroyed by this act of violence.

You questioning the family's decision, which really is none of your business, shows the same crassness you write about in your very own post.

I have to agree that Thai people have some attraction to morbid scenes, crime and accident sites, etc. I am really try to understand..or.... I am too sensitive about? I do not know how people got that, but a Thai friend just this week aproach me to show me a video another friend posted on his LINE. The video was showing an ISIS militant cutting off the head of a westerner, and he was thinking that I will like to see it. Make me sick. and very upset.

I don't believe this kind of morbid attraction is limited to Thai's. Think of all the people surrounding scenes of accidents or the horrific pictures we saw people take of the MH17 crash etc.

Sensationalism sells everywhere. Graphic sensationalism even more.

The difference is the media laws of many countries limit or hold accountable ethically what kinds of pictures can be printed with the exception of tabloids and niche magazines.

Thailand's media has for as long as I can remember been pretty much allowed a free-for-all (albeit with pixelated cover ups) when it comes to front page headline pictures.

Its about time laws be enacted that require the Thai media to stop feeding off this kind of morbid disrespectful sensationalism and sell their wares via great journalism and fact finding.

Pleading will only fall on deaf greedy ears.

Edited by smileydude

There is no such thing as considerate or respectful media coverage in such circumstances - anywhere. These vultures loosely called 'reporters' are only after the most sensationalist twist on events they can manufacture to suit their particular agenda or to appease either their own or their editors' egos.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang