Driving / Car Insurance in Thailand

eastendanto

Every one by know knows that this kind of posting dose nothing but to invite ridicules, jokes

and fun poking at an old tired subject that we all know how it's start and how dose it end,

I mean the subject it self is a humorous one and good enough to start a joke,

" my wife want what ?"...

• Like 2

Use your common sense. Too much risks losing the investment or a constant cost factor.

When you buy anything like a car, a tractor or a house and the farang ('s wife) pays for it. generally speaking It is used without much respect for the value, because they didn't pay for it and the farang's financial source is regarded as endless.

safety is not high on the priority list in all daily life in Thailand, sure it isn't in the Thai traffic.

Better buy a small motorbike with a side car...

Several questions/comments

how long have you known her

where is she from

where did you meet her ( or how )

who is paying for the vehicle...her (via you) or her independently

Thai girls (especially those from poorer families )grow up desperate for aproval from parents especially dad. Gifts like this are a means of conferring such approval and also gain admiring glances from neighbours ie one upmanship!

if i were sceptical I'd suggest dad wont be the user rather a 'brother' (blood or otherwise). Suggesting its for good old dad is a great way of promoting her respect etc and a means for getting you to buy in to the scam.

I'd be mega wary of getting involved tbh.

There are myriad stories ( costly ones ) related to these purchases.

'honey someone steal pick up, need new one' ie they've sold it.

'honey water buffalo sit on pick up, need to fix'. Ie they've had an accident

etc etc

hope I'm wrong but many of these girls from low class families see you as a money tree and nothing else. Relieving you of your money means nothing to them .

If you've ever wondered why Insurance Companies always 'live' in elaborate office building; I can explain to you how they accomplish this:

In case of an accident; the very first thing ANY insurer will do is try to find a reason why they should NOT have to pay out:

1. Valid Driver's License

2. Drink Driving

3. Drugs involved

4. Medicines used

Perhaps your wife should consider to purchase an old pick-up for her father, in order to get him used to driving & get some practice. Then; he should obtain his D/L - and then you could consider a new pick-up truck.

• Like 1

"Get training wheels.In other words start him off in an old reliable vehicle.Insurance also.After he's graduated then A 3-5 year old car til he passes that test.Tell the little lady no exceptions. "

A great idea, and my first thought. Unfortunately with a rich daughter and her foreigner son in law there will be no status in a second-hand car. Wife will not go for this I am sure.

• Like 1

Post deleted. I see control are freedom of speech there is nothing wrong with having an opinion you know. After all we are mostly foreigners as you may be awere ...... We can agree or disagree

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed

Good to see you stepping in. I have coped heaps of nasty disrespectful comments in the past. Hope you keep this going

I have read of insurance refusing to pay because a foreigner driving a vehicle in Thailand had no IDP, even though they had a valid driving license from their home country.

Yes this is correct. The IDP is not really a translation of a driving license, or a driving license itself, it is a document regulated by a legal Treaty that allows a foreign driving licence to have the same power in another country for a limited time.

This subject comes round and around, I didn't weigh in last time but will this.

To be clear a foreign driving license on its own is worthless and gives no right to drive in Thailand.

Yes the Police will normally let tourists get away with it because someone somewhere has told them that if they fine everyone they stop 500 baht for not having a licence with IDP it will damage tourism. However if you do not have an IDP and do have an accident you are technically driving without a valid driving licence and the insurance would be invalid. The only way I can mitigate that is by saying that unless you get your vehicle from Hertz or similar it probably won't be insured anyway.

IPDs are very cheap and there is no excuse not to have one. You can use them up to a year (not 100% on that) and after that get a local DL.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

Post deleted.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed

Good to see you stepping in. I have coped heaps of nasty disrespectful comments in the past. Hope you keep this going
  • Like 1

With buying new cars it is quite common for the car agency to include 1 yr insurance, they did it for me without wanting to see a driving license. I have re insured it now 3 times and never asked for license.

One of my wife's family had a crash in it and the insurance paid the repairs with out any request for license.

But I would strongly suggest do not wast your money buying him a car, your wife only wants to look big in the village and with the family. Every one will want to borrow the car and they will say yes, then a crash and that's it they not pay.

Do not be a fool, your wife is not thinking straight.

Let me get this clear or should I say I assume when she says she wants to buy Dad a new truck? "translation when you say she it means your going to buy new truck for Dad?" Now This new is to have no insurance and her Dad can't Drive? Just tell her Let's buy Dad airplane Then we insure his life. If she says that is crazy then you say Buying a Truck for her dad is also crazy. Cased closed. Then use my three step method of stooping arguments. just say that's one woman. You should use common sense Would you buy him a plane if answer is No there you have it. You see you have to explain to Thai's as if speaking to a child. Good luck.

• Like 1

Follow the old Anti-Drug commercials they had many years ago on TV............."Just Say No".

Many people do exactly what she is telling you. Buy a vehicle with no driving experience or license. Then they make a mess out of the whole thing and want more cash to sort it out. In the end better to say NO as once you start this type of thing you will never be able to stop until you change the wife.

The "vehicle" might have insurance, but if the "driver" has not got a valid driving licence, then the insurance company is well within their rights to refuse to pay out if an accident occurs. This then leaves the "driver" or "owner" of the vehicle personally responsible for ALL repairs and/or medical bills . . . and that's on BOTH sides.

An accident waiting to happen . . . along with (potentially) massive bills.

Also as others mentioned, most new cars come with 1 year insurance included... No one will ever ask for license when buying car or filling out insurance paperwork

Also no named drivers usually in policy unless you specifically ask for this when renewing

It only becomes relevant to insurance if a claim is made ...

I bought a new Mitsu in BKK a few months ago and the dealer made a copy of my Drivers license.

You forget where you are? This is Thailand!!! (T.I.T.). My Ex-wife wanted to do the same thing. Her sister ended up doing it. their father never drove a car. they bought him a standard transmission. He paid for a driver's licence under the table, (5,000 baht) ,. . . no test! scary drivnig with him. He'd pull onto the highway and then stall the truck trying to find second gear! I was elected driver when we went anywhere!

Bottom line is, .... I paid for many things to make their lives better, .... from a washing machine for her mom, tools for her dad, bicycle for her little brother, a place to live for her older sister, dental work for a cousin, nursing school tuition for another cousin, baby thiungs for an aunt and uncle, ..... not to mention the things that actually put me in the poor house, .. building a huge house and store on family land!

Once you start giving, they will keep asking! They love your money, not you. As soon as my money was spent, she cheated on me and ran off with another guy. Her mother kept everything of mine and would not let me get anything. If she leaves you because you not give the money for the truck, consider yourself lucky you avoided the trap I fell into!

• Like 2

Problem Solved, cheap, no insurance required, does not mater if he can drive or not he will blend in nicely, traffic rules do not apply , 4 wheel drive capability, plenty of room for the family, air con & power steering optional, motor capable of running all farm equipment attachments.

http://www.google.com.ph/search?q=thai+trucks&biw=1146&bih=620&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=K5sbVLuWNpW58gXfpoKYDQ&ved=0CCoQsAQ#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=aXBIDdfitlNBzM%253A%3BT8CNGimnSDuiRM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimage.blogfree.net%252F8%252F3%252F3%252F9%252F4%252F0%252F1395311845.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Feuro-truck-simulator.blogfree.net%252F%253Ft%253D4324040%3B480%3B360

• Like 1

You forget where you are? This is Thailand!!! (T.I.T.). My Ex-wife wanted to do the same thing. Her sister ended up doing it. their father never drove a car. they bought him a standard transmission. He paid for a driver's licence under the table, (5,000 baht) ,. . . no test! scary drivnig with him. He'd pull onto the highway and then stall the truck trying to find second gear! I was elected driver when we went anywhere!

Bottom line is, .... I paid for many things to make their lives better, .... from a washing machine for her mom, tools for her dad, bicycle for her little brother, a place to live for her older sister, dental work for a cousin, nursing school tuition for another cousin, baby thiungs for an aunt and uncle, ..... not to mention the things that actually put me in the poor house, .. building a huge house and store on family land!

Once you start giving, they will keep asking! They love your money, not you. As soon as my money was spent, she cheated on me and ran off with another guy. Her mother kept everything of mine and would not let me get anything. If she leaves you because you not give the money for the truck, consider yourself lucky you avoided the trap I fell into!

She was probably younger / more attractive as you just needing money. You got a doll she got money. I don't understand guys that give into everything.

If he can go to a driving school in Thailand, that would be ideal. Can you afford for him to attend a driving school abroad ? If not buy his first car as a solid inexpensive used car. An automatic transmission would be the easiest to learn in. If you are a good driver model for him and get your wife to translate. Teach him all that you know. Learn the Thai words for Stop. Slow down. Do not follow so close. Turn left and turn right. Straight ahead. keep your eyes on the road. Put your signal lights on. Brake. Back up slowly. Start in a large empty parking lot or a field or on country roads devoid of traffic.

If you do not have the patience, monitor some Thai drivers who would teach him to ensure they have sufficient skills and drive safely. Get your Thai wife to accompany you on all trips. After a few years accident free, consider buying a newer car. A one year old dealer demonstrator or dealer managers car can be a bargain without the steep depreciation.

From a thread a few months ago

www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/720087-can-a-thai-without-dl-be-car-owner/page-2

One of the daughters of my host family in Thailand 'bought' a car on finance as she is the most credit worthy.

She has no driving licence.

I was driving the car when a dog decided to play chicken and lost. Did a stupid amount of damage under the wheel arch and attached panels.

No questions whatsoever about her drivers licence at any time - finance company, main dealer and insurance company.

Insurance company took pictures of my licence before assessing the claim.

Insurance company then paid the bill no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

To make this more specific to your query, the insurance company took pictures of my UK license and my International Driving Permit. The insurance was 'free' for one year with the car purchase.

I have read of insurance refusing to pay because a foreigner driving a vehicle in Thailand had no IDP, even though they had a valid driving license from their home country.

I would have to agree with your post and the replies that say no license = no valid insurance.

(Edited this a couple of times)

Last time I checked which was about 5 years ago you can drive for 3 months on a foreign license then you need either an International or Thai car license, the latter seemed the easier option which was valid for one year the first time and five years the second time onward. But maybe the rules have changed. Certainly if I was driving I would make sure I was legal it is not just the financial damage but presumably if you hurt someone and you do not have a valid license it might be a criminal offence and therefore jail.