Sheep dip

cooked

I know that some of you guys have sheep, so in desperation I am asking here. We are slowly conquering a tick infestation, we had them in the house going up the walls, on the beds when one of the dogs jumped up to play. Anyway we have most of the dogs clean now, with the help of En-dex, tick and flea shampoo and daily cleaning by hand. The other two are difficult to clean due to the nature of their fur and reluctance to be cleaned.

So, question the first, would you recommend using sheep dip? If so, can you give me the name of a Thai product that I can buy?

And the second: Bayticol doesn't seem to do a good job when I spray it in the house, is there anything else that I could fumigate with?

This topic has been gone over a few times in the pets forum but I can't find anything useful there.

Writing because my wife has been bitten several times by ticks now.

Thanks.

When I worked on the farm in the uk it was almost a tradition to throw the sheep dogs in the sheep dip at the end of the day,they seemed to be ok afterwards,at the time the dips where,and some still are, organophosphate ,but afterwadds did use to see the dogs lick themselfe,with all that phosphate,makes you wonder about the long term effect.

As for Thailand, with the sheep I have seen most ,are tropical breeds,I would have thought they would have a good immune system against ticks,bit like Thai native cattle.

The time I have been in Thailand ,I have never seen sheep dip.

But ,just Googleing some company's I know,no luck on sheep dip.

If you did find any sheep dip buy an Elizabeathen coller for the dog,our local shop now sells them,to prevent licking ,and I would have thought it would irritate the skin ,it did on me when I got splashed,I think it is not a good idea

Bayticol,if it is the same stuff ,is sprayed on cattle to kill ticks,can not see it doing a lot of good in the house.

Our dogs I just inject them with Ivomec,not " F ",that is for liver fluke, never had any problems,though the pets forum might /will dissagree.

• Like 1

Old fashioned solution is arsenic which may be available or sulphur - some of your older locals will have seen both used on cattle or goats.

That is a new one for me ,sulphur and arsenic sheep dip ,a look at Google ,found it was used 100 years ago in Oz,also a piece from the uk ,do not let the

misses make a cake this week. Not a good idea for dogs.

woolwinding.wordpress.com/2014/02/02/arsenic-and-old-sheep-dip/

l.

I have a a cousin in Ireland, that over the years got poisoned with sheep dip... and now suffers from extreme health problems ... I have no idea of what, but could find out...(I will ask!)

Perhaps oil of rosemary might help (private joke! between OP and me! ) tongue.png

Come on baby .... you need a dip... (sorry could not resist! ) whistling.gif

IMG_8246.JPG

Edited by samuijimmy

Old fashioned solution is arsenic which may be available or sulphur - some of your older locals will have seen both used on cattle or goats.

That is a new one for me ,sulphur and arsenic sheep dip ,a look at Google ,found it was used 100 years ago in Oz,also a piece from the uk ,do not let the

l.It was used a lot more recently than that, I'm not that old, and arsenic dips are still available even now.

I buy and use a powder that can be used as a powder or mixed with water and used as either a spry or dip made especially for livestock. The brand that I buy is "Knock 85" and it's available at our local pharmacy, but I live in the sticks. It can also be purchased as "Sevin Dust" at farm supply stores. It's 85% carbaryl a strong insecticide that is actually banned in some countries. It will definitely kill the ticks but can't really be used as a preventative measure. I normally use it on the floors and around their bedding. I live in farm country and my dogs run loose but sleep inside at night, all nine of them..

• Like 2

I heard back from my cousin Ireland, re the sheep dip this was part of the reply :

"I was poisoned by Organophosphate sheep dip .... We now use a synthetic pyrethroid" ... but no product name given.

But I know that now he has to avoid many things, perfumes being the worst, which can trigger a very severe reaction. I saw it a few times on last visit over ten years ago now. He has to carry a mask around with him all the time.... some times bed ridden for days...

Part of the reason Organophosphates have been banned in many countries...

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

l.It was used a lot more recently than that, I'm not that old, and arsenic dips are still available even now.

I was suprised that you that arsenic sheep dips are still availiable now .In NZ they where banned in about 1980.

In Oz old arseenic sheep dips are now decreed a health hazard ,but what I can find out they,where not banned in the Uk, OP's, organophosphate's took over .

That is what we used back in the 80's ,I left that farm then ,so what they used afterwads I do not know.

I did know they have a bad name ,there are a lot more case's like Samuijimmy cousin.

Hmmm... I'll cautiously go over to the Carbaryl approach then. The problem with ticks, as well as all the members of the the spider family, is that they can go sleep somewhere for a few years without eating and that it is difficult to kill the eggs which may be deposited by the thousand and are difficult to get rid of. The buggers climb up to moult when they are gorged, and come back down again when they feel hungry. Much more seem to ascend than descend, but this could just mean that they are lurking in waiting. A never ending battle.

I recently noticed that some ticks had got trapped on a piece of adhesive tape temporarily used for keeping a cable out of the way. I stretched out tape over what I thought were the worst places in the house and was interested to see that I was collecting ticks at various stages of development but only in certain places. Reminds me of Christmas decorations. So we at least know where to concentrate our vacuum cleaning operations and apply cockroach spray (containing permethrin, also contained in Bayticol but also other poisons) before we leave in the morning.

Hmmm... I'll cautiously go over to the Carbaryl approach then. The problem with ticks, as well as all the members of the the spider family, is that they can go sleep somewhere for a few years without eating and that it is difficult to kill the eggs which may be deposited by the thousand and are difficult to get rid of. The buggers climb up to moult when they are gorged, and come back down again when they feel hungry. Much more seem to ascend than descend, but this could just mean that they are lurking in waiting. A never ending battle.

I recently noticed that some ticks had got trapped on a piece of adhesive tape temporarily used for keeping a cable out of the way. I stretched out tape over what I thought were the worst places in the house and was interested to see that I was collecting ticks at various stages of development but only in certain places. Reminds me of Christmas decorations. So we at least know where to concentrate our vacuum cleaning operations and apply cockroach spray (containing permethrin, also contained in Bayticol but also other poisons) before we leave in the morning.

Just thought,have you tryed the chalk with the insecticide,just make a line anywhere there are insects ,they walk on the chalk /insecticide and they will die ,has worked with cockroach's, been around for years available for a few bart , from all most any Thai market.