Police seek help from FBI on DNA

Lite Beer

Saw this coming a mile away But to answer a question takes several days to run tests on DNA. They can tell race by test And also is person has other things too such as VD.But depends on how well sample taken is. They should have Requested from the get go instead waiting so long not losing face it is about learning from others on how to best go about it. Most Thai's can't Spell DNA much less run a test on it.

You say "most Thai's can't Spell DNA". And you can't punctuate properly. Thais when writing about more than one (plural) does not have an apostrophe. Also Spell does not have a capital S.

....then by the same rule/token, shouldn't shanahan , a name, start with a capital ' S "

ka -toot

As you want to be totally correct you shouldn't have left a space between "shanahan" and the comma, there shouldn't be an apostrophe before the "S", there shouldn't be a space after the incorrect apostrophe and you shouldn't have left a space between the "S" and the quotation mark. There should also be a question mark at the end of the sentence.

It really doesn't matter as a Mod will be along soon to remove these posts as they contravene forum rules.

• Like 1

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fbi has long been known as the "fumbling bureau of idiots". They don't exactly have a stellar record in evidence themselves but if they really, really want you, they will get you. I've attended their classes, not exactly the nicest nor most ethical of people. One of my former instructors in NM Law Enforcement Academy was retired fbi, he kept trying to remember where we had met, he didn't and I certainly didn't tell him...lol. In this case the "crime scene" has been screwed since the git-go and I'd bet the evidence, especially the chain of evidence, is so screwed up by now it would only stand up against a black man in a southern US court. Yea, fbi are in Thailand, along with many other "initials" and the OSS was here during WWII. If at all possible, they will do the best they can in this case, perhaps a chance to mend some fences after John Kerry suffered from "foot in mouth" disease.

• Like 1

As have the UK, Australian and probably many other international agencies. Nothing special about the FBI, well, nothing especially good anyway.

Nothing Good, you say? What in your limited knowledge have they done wrong? Or is this just a "Lets bash America" Troll post? You commit a serious crime in the USA and you will have the FBI all over you like flies on 5hit! You can run all over this Planet, but in time they'll get you. You can run but you can't hide from the Federal Bureau of Investigations.

If you actually bothered to read my post properly you'd notice that I didn't say that the FBI had done anything wrong, neither did I say they were "Nothing Good", I said "nothing especially good". There's a big difference.

At least I didn't post a gratuitous biology lesson.

Who's hair was the lass holding? If it's Asian shouldn't be too difficult to spot someone who has bleached hair. Thai people and the burmese workers have died their hair before.

Start pounding the doors police.. Closest to the murder scene. Find out who this lil guy is . This should have been their top priority once they saw this footage.

Damn this is all text book simple stuff to look at. I scraped the surface on forensics at my uni. If they are doing the very basics, I fear they will never find the killer without some serious outside help.

amazing,

last week they pounded in peoples doors to find drug users,

but not murderers?

priorities?

Yeah! AND upheld a newspaper editor's 11 year sentence for less ******... A truly violent crime.

Can they maintain DNA equipment & maintain training for DNA technicians? NOPE. All that money gets siphoned off to some "official".

They just send Somchai the no-helmet ticket-giver, tea-money-taker, and his band of Merry Men over to tromp around the crime scene.

This is a shame, shame, shame. Every foreign person here, that believes this is an absolute travesty of an investigation, should compile every nonsense statement the police have released on this, and add our own feelings to it, and mail it to every news outlet we can think of in our home countries.

I do love Thailand, as I'm sure we all do. Maybe if we continued this shame game, it might have a positive effect in the long run.

I hate a Nanny Police state, but a somewhat competent police force (like they have in the US or UK), is something I think we'd all appreciate.

Also, if these poor victims had been Cambodian or Burmese, this would have been swept under the rug/been a by-line on page 5 of a Thai newspaper.

Not to say this tragedy is more tragic just because they were British, but since the RBP (royal bungling police) have screwed this up, um... so royally, and it's already made international headlines, maybe there's a few thousand of us on TV that can make the news more widespread than it is.

The tragedy has taken place. These two young peoples' lives have been taken. Everybody all over (especially the UK) already knows that.

The part I doubt they know, is how inept and corrupt the RBP are.

I'm not even from the UK (born in Florida), but I'll compile the articles & send them to the Daily Mail, Aussie newspapers, Washington Post, New York Times, LA Times, Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, etc, etc.

Just an idea, that maybe, just might have an effect after some time.

We all love Thailand, but I am weary to the core of the corruption and ineptitude of the constabulary. We can't vote, except with our feet or our pens/keyboards.

DNA testing technology in Thailand could only identify whether human secretions came from a male or female, said deputy police chief General Somyot Pumpunmuang.

must be the basic cheap model from ebay. and someone needs to tell him women dont secrete semen.

​Plus if thats the case and all the DNA test they can do how can they rule anyone out by DNA if it can just tell male or female ? what were the 12 suspects DNA taken aliens ?

Or dosnt anyone in Thailand know how to marker DNA ? which i can quite easily believe

As far as I can find in the Thai language press, he said no such thing. He said, rather that Thai forensics could determine ethnicity, but that the FBI could get more detailed results.

This is evidently a bad translation. (and if you knew how Thai news articles are "translated" into English, you'd have even less faith in them than in the RTP!)

Just guessing now (like many of you). Mitochondrial DNA testing is a relatively simple test and distinguishes: ethnic origin (I got Caucasian) and sex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogical_DNA_test.

That's it.

Editing my own post, looks like I was partially right: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/asian-suspects-rape-english-tourist/

Doesn't say much for all the reports we have been reading about DNA tests proving or disproving this and other cases.

The fbi has long been known as the "fumbling bureau of idiots". They don't exactly have a stellar record in evidence themselves but if they really, really want you, they will get you. I've attended their classes, not exactly the nicest nor most ethical of people. One of my former instructors in NM Law Enforcement Academy was retired fbi, he kept trying to remember where we had met, he didn't and I certainly didn't tell him...lol. In this case the "crime scene" has been screwed since the git-go and I'd bet the evidence, especially the chain of evidence, is so screwed up by now it would only stand up against a black man in a southern US court. Yea, fbi are in Thailand, along with many other "initials" and the OSS was here during WWII. If at all possible, they will do the best they can in this case, perhaps a chance to mend some fences after John Kerry suffered from "foot in mouth" disease.

Well said, but, I mean, when's the last time you were pulled over for speeding in the USA, with a $500 radar/laser/whatever detector on your dash, when you KNOW you weren't speeding, and the damned thing never went off?

Happened to me twice in Thailand. CORRUPT COPS, just wanting tea money.

When's the last time you had a business where you had to pay the cops to keep an eye on it, "Otherwise you have big problem"....It was a boat storage yard, NOT a bar.

Or some yo-yo in the wrong lane, speeding, T-bones your wife's car, with no insurance & no license, yet your wife is automatically at fault, "Because you have farang name. All Farang have big money". Cost me 12,000 baht.

Or (happened to a friend), tried to turn right on Pattaya 3rd Road off Central Road, when a psycho comes zooming around on the right, hits the front of the car, jumps up and takes off running, yet it was my friend's fault & he had to pay 50,000 baht because he argued with the cops?

FOR SURE USA cops at all levels are shit-heads, but at least they aren't brain-dead stupid and corrupt to the core.

First time I heard Thais want help from any foreign country when they don't have any clue how to solve a case.

Who loose face now?

Or do the morons believe the killer is American and need access to FBI's DNA database?

• Like 1

Saw this coming a mile away But to answer a question takes several days to run tests on DNA. They can tell race by test And also is person has other things too such as VD.But depends on how well sample taken is. They should have Requested from the get go instead waiting so long not losing face it is about learning from others on how to best go about it. Most Thai's can't Spell DNA much less run a test on it.

You say "most Thai's can't Spell DNA". And you can't punctuate properly. Thais when writing about more than one (plural) does not have an apostrophe. Also Spell does not have a capital S.

seems these forums are not for evaluating finite language skills nor do many even care about perfect grammar/punct. the important thing is to extract the content/ the meaning. Spell with a capital s ino is to exemplify the statement/add impact Most Thai's can't Spell DNA is a figure of speech to say the level of education and intellectual curiosity is poor. as another poster pointed out you failed to us a capital letter ti start your name, but who cares, this is just a net forum.

....then by the same rule/token, shouldn't shanahan , a name, start with a capital ' S "

ka -toot

As you want to be totally correct you shouldn't have left a space between "shanahan" and the comma, there shouldn't be an apostrophe before the "S", there shouldn't be a space after the incorrect apostrophe and you shouldn't have left a space between the "S" and the quotation mark. There should also be a question mark at the end of the sentence.

It really doesn't matter as a Mod will be along soon to remove these posts as they contravene forum rules.

No need so long as this tangent stops right here.

Who's hair was the lass holding? If it's Asian shouldn't be too difficult to spot someone who has bleached hair. Thai people and the burmese workers have died their hair before.

Start pounding the doors police.. Closest to the murder scene. Find out who this lil guy is . This should have been their top priority once they saw this footage.

Damn this is all text book simple stuff to look at. I scraped the surface on forensics at my uni. If they are doing the very basics, I fear they will never find the killer without some serious outside help.

amazing,

last week they pounded in peoples doors to find drug users,

but not murderers?

priorities?

Yeah! AND upheld a newspaper editor's 11 year sentence for less ******... A truly violent crime.

Can they maintain DNA equipment & maintain training for DNA technicians? NOPE. All that money gets siphoned off to some "official".

They just send Somchai the no-helmet ticket-giver, tea-money-taker, and his band of Merry Men over to tromp around the crime scene.

This is a shame, shame, shame. Every foreign person here, that believes this is an absolute travesty of an investigation, should compile every nonsense statement the police have released on this, and add our own feelings to it, and mail it to every news outlet we can think of in our home countries.

I do love Thailand, as I'm sure we all do. Maybe if we continued this shame game, it might have a positive effect in the long run.

I hate a Nanny Police state, but a somewhat competent police force (like they have in the US or UK), is something I think we'd all appreciate.

Also, if these poor victims had been Cambodian or Burmese, this would have been swept under the rug/been a by-line on page 5 of a Thai newspaper.

Not to say this tragedy is more tragic just because they were British, but since the RBP (royal bungling police) have screwed this up, um... so royally, and it's already made international headlines, maybe there's a few thousand of us on TV that can make the news more widespread than it is.

The tragedy has taken place. These two young peoples' lives have been taken. Everybody all over (especially the UK) already knows that.

The part I doubt they know, is how inept and corrupt the RBP are.

I'm not even from the UK (born in Florida), but I'll compile the articles & send them to the Daily Mail, Aussie newspapers, Washington Post, New York Times, LA Times, Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, etc, etc.

Just an idea, that maybe, just might have an effect after some time.

We all love Thailand, but I am weary to the core of the corruption and ineptitude of the constabulary. We can't vote, except with our feet or our pens/keyboards.

Indeed.

The endless nanny state moanerd really have no right to say anything about this case. U pays your money u take your choice.

Competent policing tends to go hand in hand with funding which allows for training and use of technology.

Seargent Somchai hasn't covered himself in glory in the last week or so.

"Somyot, who will become police chief next month, said he would travel to Koh Tao today to inspect the crime scene and follow up on the latest developments of the investigation."

I bet Somyot will solve the case now that hundreds of BIB's have been wandering around almost one week and destroying all the evidence at the crime scene.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I hope the bloke who poo-pooed my suggestion that DNA could detebillsmart.rmine race, or at least exclude certain races, reads this article...

Bravo Billsmart!

It wasn't me who contradicted you at that time but it was unknown to me also at that time. Now it seems you were right.

First time I heard Thais want help from any foreign country when they don't have any clue how to solve a case.

Who loose face now?

Or do the morons believe the killer is American and need access to FBI's DNA database?

I was hired on contract to rebuild some 20 year old Army & Air Force trucks in BKK, because I'm a factory trained rep, retired, but I know those trucks like the back of my hand & all the technical manuals are in English.

I had 6 workers under me & the Thai boss that showed up a couple times a week.

I did my very best to make it as efficient as possible, yet the Thai boss, who is a super nice guy that speaks great English, would say "But, I think it's better to do it this way", or the workers would say "Bah! no need", when I tried to show them torque specifications.

Needless to say they all screwed up a lot of expensive equipment & wasted a lot of money & time.

I gave up & just played on my laptop all day.

I had 28 YEARS of experience, they hired me to show them how to do it, then completely ignored everything I said.

We finished the contract 3 months late & 10's of thousands of USD over budget.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I grant you its a long shot, but I would check some hairdressers on the island and mainland. See if anyone has come in that was/is on the island and seemed in a rush to get a hair cut. He wont want to be recognised.

angry.png You evil farang you! Trying to make them actually THINK!!!

What nerve. goof.gif

"Somyot, who will become police chief next month, said he would travel to Koh Tao today to inspect the crime scene and follow up on the latest developments of the investigation."

I bet Somyot will solve the case now that hundreds of BIB's have been wandering around almost one week and destroying all the evidence at the crime scene.

Somyot will solve the case himself within one hour of arriving and some random Burmese is going to be the fall guy.

DNA testing technology in Thailand could only identify whether human secretions came from a male or female, said deputy police chief General Somyot Pumpunmuang.

must be the basic cheap model from ebay. and someone needs to tell him women dont secrete semen.

​Plus if thats the case and all the DNA test they can do how can they rule anyone out by DNA if it can just tell male or female ? what were the 12 suspects DNA taken aliens ?

Or dosnt anyone in Thailand know how to marker DNA ? which i can quite easily believe

As far as I can find in the Thai language press, he said no such thing. He said, rather that Thai forensics could determine ethnicity, but that the FBI could get more detailed results.

This is evidently a bad translation. (and if you knew how Thai news articles are "translated" into English, you'd have even less faith in them than in the RTP!)

Looked at this mornings edition of khomchatluek & it seemed to say that the identification of the DNA as Asian was in fact made by the FBI. That contradicts a post I made earlier. The same article said, BTW, that the strand of hair was bleached, making it difficult to get a good DNA fix. I did some more searching & found an article closer to this OP saying that Thai expertise could distinguish male from female DNA, but not ethnicity. In other words, it can match samples and identify sex, can't identify ethniticity.

Simply ludicrous that a country with such statistics for random violence does not have the capability to provide full forensic identification markers from DNA samples when and if required.

Once again , Thailand is shown to be the mouse that roars.

Further more why is there little said with regards to the blood stained hoe. Should the blood stains match with either victim then it was certainly a feature of these murders and should have fingerprint evidence. One week has passed and this hoe is still only suspected to have been used.

British forensic and investigative officials should have been at the forefront of this investigation from the onset as the ineptitude,corruption and inconsistency of the RTP is legend.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Considering the nationality of the deceased it is rather a wonder as to the passivity of the Brit Embassy.
Rather than the FBI being called in why not Scotland Yard? Who have a track record assisting police forces who are under resourced, overwhelmed or, just plain out-of-their-depth.
This murder has been extremely poorly handled by all those concerned.

Maybe because the FBI has the newly-developed RapidHIT DNA device ($245,000 USD) made by IntegenX, a California-based company, that can spit out an individual's DNA data within 90 minutes?

Thailand as with most places in the world appears wonderful on the surface. The national lie, not only to outsiders but to themselves. Again as with most places it has a dirty underbelly that only becomes apparent once you've 'paid your dues'. That is to say once you've not only spent enough time here but also put enough real thought into working the people out. Fortunately our western governments already have this experience & I only regret that they don't have the balls to put a blanket warning on visiting the country.

It's clear to me which people in this thread have done that thinking & which have become blinkered & mindless, more often than not because they are also kidding themselves that the woman lying next to them in bed who's 30 years younger than they are actually finds then attractive (Only your wallet boys). That type become so delusional that they actually begin to think like a Thai & fully buy into the whole rotten way of thinking in this country & will blindly defend the people & the country against any & all who disparage it. It's fairly easy to spot a farang who's suffering with this problem when they say "You not like? You go home" or similar, exactly like a Thai. They do exist, I've met them.

To really understand the country you do have to have some negative experiences as well as the positive ones. Some have been lucky (or unlucky) enough to only have good experiences, either because they sit at home all day in their retirement or maybe they're protected by a 'family' in some form or other so that they can be sponged dry before they spot what's going on, it's quite possible that some will die of old age before they work it out if they're even trying, further possible that some will run out of money & then cry about it when they're no longer useful to any Thais (bye bye).

The way that this foul murder is being pinned on immigrants from Myanmar is typical & disgusting, reinforced by comments from the police chief stating 'a thai isn't capable of this" What a filthy, dirty, steaming pile of horse ****. Does he really believe that the rest of the world is quite as stupid & uneducated as he, along with the rest of the people of this perfect country are that they'd believe that thais are whiter than white? At this point I would move on to the fame & fortune seeking guy who's swapped his uniform for a political suit but I'll stem my comments because it's illegal in this now military state to speak your mind or the truth, an extension of the lese majeste law.

Welcome to China. The wealthy thais are after all mixed breed chinese & they control the country. Their roots are in Beijing. This problem is very, very deep & does include US/Chinese relations.

I'd like to extend my deepest condolences to the friends & families of the victims. I'm sure some of you will be reading this site looking for answers. The sad truth is that this country is the wild west, run by cowboys & I am very, very sad that this had to happen before the world took notice of just how dangerous it is here. I know that I can say nothing to lessen your loss but there are things that you can do. Lobby your government to make the public aware of the dangers here & advise all of your friends & family to stay away. These dangers are not a one off, they are constant, ongoing and worsening.

Many will say that they've lived here for years and it's a lovely, safe place but you can bet your arse that in the back of their minds they know full well that foreigners can disappear here very easily because the police simply don't care & that life is so cheap here & some of the people are so desperate that they work as low-paid killers. Fact. Especially in the south.

Another fact. The 'royal' thai police force is only in place to protect thais. It is NOT here to protect or help foreigners (Hence the 'tourist police'). If you can find a thai willing to tell you the truth they will tell you that this is a national belief.

It's also completely true that the 'royal' (so sad, if I were 'royal' I would not put my name on this parade of criminals) thai police are in cahoots with the criminals & are in fact running protection rackets Al Capone style across the country, predominantly in the high value tourist areas. I would therefore agree that the police on Ko Tau are protecting the killers The reason of course is family ties, a lack of care towards foreigners and low police wages but also, on a more national level, 'wants' brought on by jealousy towards the first world as well as a national tv service which shoves adverts for expensive goods down the throats of people who simply can't yet afford it. Thais are an overly proud race & they're tired now of feeling second place when their country is overrun with what they perceive to be 'rich' foreigners. I've watched this issue rise over the past few years & it's now coming to a head in the young 20 somethings of Thailand.

Racism? Don't get me started.

how is this different than most carribean and central and south american holiday spots? you want travel warnings on all of them too?

Comical that after reading all of that (IF you read all of it) you'd latch onto travel warnings. I don't know you but my guess would be that you live here, have a business here & because everybody including yourself is suffering from the worsening low season syndrome, are afraid of travel warnings.

Maybe I should add that if I've offended any of you with the truth, I'd like to apologise but I'd rather tell you to get to know yourselves better.

Edited by ScubaPhuket