Arriving at Suvarnabhumi with no VISA, no return ticket: no problem.

When checking-in for Air Asia to DMK from Changi Airport (Singapore), I was asked to show an onward ticket even after they saw my double-entry tourist visa. Not realizing I had a double-entry, they wanted to know what my plans were after Cambodia, the destination of the first onward ticket I provide: was I going for an put-in? When I pointed put the double-entry and a second onward ticket (to Nepal), they stopped asking questions. They were most probably just over-zealous staff (though very courteous, I must say) but I would hate to miss a flight for such hassle.

Arriving at DMK, I was asked a few questions but wasn't asked to produce an outbound ticket.

"They were most probably just over-zealous staff ..."

In what way is carefully checking your plans & ticketing considered "over-zealous?"

As far as I know, and from what I have read on this forum, an onward ticket is not needed if we hold a visa. I was holding a double-entry visa, and I still add to produce two outbound tickets, one booked & paid air ticket for each visa entry. I doubt this is required by Thai immigration, and I was asked for jone of such when I flew in at DMK.

I ran into this problem last year leaving the Philippines, I had a ticket to Bangkok on Cebu from Palawan Island o no on going ticket, I do not need one I am on a retirement extension of stay, Huh, let me show you in passport she hands me back passport and I find the extension of stay and its date of expiration she still didn't get it, you need on going ticket, no I do not get your supervisor. I then very slowly explained my visa situation and showed the supervisor and she said ok no problem they then checked me into the flight. I did have a on going ticket in a few days back to the states but I was not going to tell them they needed to understand the various means of staying long term in Thailand

Been coming over to Thailand for 14 years from Boston , MA USA and untill April 2013 always landed with no visa got 30 day visa exempt. Only got touris visa in 2013 because was retiring and needed time to convert and get documents to retire.

As noted many, many, times in the past. Immigration rarely, if ever, ask for your onward flight for a visa-exempt entry.

They rely upon the airline doing so at check-in.

After all, it's the airline who ends up with the bill if you're denied entry.

• Like 1

Siriam, on 20 Sept 2014 - 10:04, said:

She/they have been very understanding, I assure you that in many countries they just won't let you departing.

I think is more a matter concerning the airlines company's policy than country. I am talking about an European country of course, not Laos, Cuba or Kenya. I am a free citizen, you know, my country does not keep me as his hostage :)

The airlines company could indeed refuse to embark if they suspect you will be illegally migrating in Thailand, as they could be held responsible and "asked" from Thai authorities to repatriate you. The staff person could of course have problems too from this.

Yet, they could face litigation for the price of the ticket and the damage caused, so they still tend to refuse case by case. If my company was among these (Sri Lankan), then just it was not my case. :)

JDGRUEN, on 20 Sept 2014 - 20:51, said:JDGRUEN, on 20 Sept 2014 - 20:51, said:JDGRUEN, on 20 Sept 2014 - 20:51, said:

So OP - it was impossible for you to get a Tourist Visa before departing or was it just inconvenient? I have no idea why anyone would proceed into a potential 'drama' when getting a Tourist Visa eliminates 99.99 percent of all that... Amazing what some people will do for no good reason...

Also - if getting a Visa in your home country was neigh on impossible - then flying to a regional city with a Thai Embassy or Consulate would have allowed you to get a Tourist Visa -- even a double entry Tourist Visa ... then fly on to Bkk ... But taking risk is better than planning I presume ...?

To each his own...

Hello sir, I honestly am a bit surprised about your curiosity and quite disturbed from your presumptuous tone, but I will reply anyway.

I did the way I did, because I had more than one very logical, solidly rational reason, and because of course - as the first fact will suggest you, in case you still were presuming otherwise - I am not a complete idiot, failing to plan things like taking an airplane and going in another continent.

I just could NOT obtain a Visa beforehand.

I hope this reply will leave you satisfied.

Instead, if you would like to specifically know my reasons, then I will expect you to ask me in a less 'presuming' way, thank you.

To each his own... Amen smile.png

Edited by Zlabermacht

She/they have been very understanding, I assure you that in many countries they just won't let you departing.

name the countries please

Last year I flew Brisbane to Singapore Emirates with a one way ticket it being my intention to spend a few days in Singapore and then do an online booking Jetstar to Vietnam.

In spite of being well dressed etc. ( not that that should make a lot of difference ) they would not let me on board unless I had an onward ticket from Singapore.

I then had to go to the travel agency at the airport and book a cheap flight out of Singapore ... which I never intended to use.

What a waste of money to satisfy some ones childish fettish.

Last year I flew Brisbane to Singapore Emirates with a one way ticket it being my intention to spend a few days in Singapore and then do an online booking Jetstar to Vietnam.

In spite of being well dressed etc. ( not that that should make a lot of difference ) they would not let me on board unless I had an onward ticket from Singapore.

I then had to go to the travel agency at the airport and book a cheap flight out of Singapore ... which I never intended to use.

You can check

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754481-boarding-to-thailand-without-return-ticket/

on how to do in case of no visa and no outgoing ticket

When checking-in for Air Asia to DMK from Changi Airport (Singapore), I was asked to show an onward ticket even after they saw my double-entry tourist visa. Not realizing I had a double-entry, they wanted to know what my plans were after Cambodia, the destination of the first onward ticket I provide: was I going for an put-in? When I pointed put the double-entry and a second onward ticket (to Nepal), they stopped asking questions. They were most probably just over-zealous staff (though very courteous, I must say) but I would hate to miss a flight for such hassle.

Arriving at DMK, I was asked a few questions but wasn't asked to produce an outbound ticket.

Air Asia is very strict and sometimes even making up their own rules about showing a return or forward ticket.

I think it is because If they check somebody in without a visa and onward ticket Air Asia is responsible if a person gets denied entry into Thailand.

It is not just about the countries, airlines have rules too. Thai airways will ALWAYS ask to see an outbound ticket, I have found them to be the most difficult, flying from anywhere to Bangkok. Etihad in Dublin ALWAYS insist on it (I had to buy a new one, but they gave me a dummy for free), yet Emirates in Dublin don't care. Emirates in London made me buy a return ticket, yet Emirates in Dubai don't care. It is not necessarily a predictable situation .....

• Like 1

It is not just about the countries, airlines have rules too. Thai airways will ALWAYS ask to see an outbound ticket, I have found them to be the most difficult, flying from anywhere to Bangkok. Etihad in Dublin ALWAYS insist on it (I had to buy a new one, but they gave me a dummy for free), yet Emirates in Dublin don't care. Emirates in London made me buy a return ticket, yet Emirates in Dubai don't care. It is not necessarily a predictable situation .....

Good point. Personally I wouldn't risk it.