Meeting with Chief of CM Immigration

Rinrada

Started to attend CM-ExPs a bit more often (handy for a night in town and their coffee and sarnies...not bad)

..anyway bit of info : up and coming meeting with Pol Col.Rutjapong,

Chief of Chiang mai Immigration..Oct 22nd...FYI..Q & A

General Meeting (date change):

Wednesday, October 22 at Le Méridien hotel.
Arrive 10 am for 10:30 start.
Speaker: Pol. Col. Rutjapong,

Chief of Chiang Mai Immigration.

Please submit your questions in advance to:

Good on you Nancy and fellow Committee members for organising the upcoming meeting with the Colonel, and also the delightful morning tea (breakfast) by the river on Friday. Also I thought the video which was presented is excellent, and hope we can forward this to friends when it's on the Expat's web site.

One point I wanted to ask is this; as Immigration and its rules and laws are government and thus political decisions, and I presume the Colonel is a senior public servant, do our concerns go through the Colonel to the government, or do things work differently here?

Is there such a person as Minister for Immigration, as in Western countries?

Masuk, your question about whether there's a Minister of Immigration in Thailand, might be best posed in ThaiVisa.com's visa forum -- the first forum on the list of forums. I didn't find such an office when I consulted Google. The Embassies are under the control of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The local immigration offices are considered police functions. Thus Col. Rutjapong is a "Police Colonel", a law enforcement official.

CEC initiated the meeting. No one approached us because they are interested in what's on the minds of expats with regard to Thai immigration policy. Col. Rutjapong job is enforcing Immigration regulations, not setting policy. He is the chief of the CM office and can best answer questions about the activities of that office, rather than speculate about what's happening high up the chain of command.

There were multiple questions about "why don't they have a five year retirement visa like Malaysia", but we phrased it instead as "can you share any developments or changes where Thailand may be offering a multi-year retirement visa in the near future"

• Like 1

Good on you Nancy and fellow Committee members for organising the upcoming meeting with the Colonel, and also the delightful morning tea (breakfast) by the river on Friday. Also I thought the video which was presented is excellent, and hope we can forward this to friends when it's on the Expat's web site.

One point I wanted to ask is this; as Immigration and its rules and laws are government and thus political decisions, and I presume the Colonel is a senior public servant, do our concerns go through the Colonel to the government, or do things work differently here?

Thai immigration is still a part of the Thai Royal Police. Same as the local police. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_Police

Thai immigration is still a part of the Thai Royal Police. Same as the local police. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_Police

Believe it falls under the Director General of Police. And as suggested above, it is planned to separate immigration from the RTP and become an independent authority.

Masuk,

I think Tywais has something with the indication that things may change. The attached Immigration Act is not available right now on the main Immigration site.

The first 2 pages include what and who is responsible for Immigration.

Thanks.

It could certainly have done with some proof-reading before printing.

Good for you Nancy L. Glad you mentioned the matter of a Dress Code.

Sadly, all too many Expats in Chiang Mai have little or no concept of dressing appropriately. Just have a look at some of them any day when they front up at the Immigration Office.

Can only trust that they'll show some respect now that you've mentioned the requirement.

• Like 2

I'd like clarification on the cost of the certificate of residency. Is it free or not? If it's free then stop profiteering from me by making available within 24 hours for 500 baht versus making me wait 30 days for free.

IF I have to pay 500 baht, make it a multi-use valid for one year....I'm good with that.

I'd like clarification on the cost of the certificate of residency. Is it free or not? If it's free then stop profiteering from me by making available within 24 hours for 500 baht versus making me wait 30 days for free.

IF I have to pay 500 baht, make it a multi-use valid for one year....I'm good with that.

Nowisee, had you been a subscriber to the CEC newsletter you would have learned that we needed to receive all the questions by September 19. No, you don't need to be a member of CEC to subscribe to the e-newsletter. I'm sorry, but the Chief of Immigration is preparing his talk in advance and there were absolutely no questions about certificates of residency to our newsletter request for questions.

Are you a member of Chiang Mai Expats Club? Perhaps you should join.

• Like 1

Good for you Nancy L. Glad you mentioned the matter of a Dress Code.

Sadly, all too many Expats in Chiang Mai have little or no concept of dressing appropriately. Just have a look at some of them any day when they front up at the Immigration Office.

Can only trust that they'll show some respect now that you've mentioned the requirement.

Trend forecaster Gerald Celente laments today's slobiness "Look back to old photos of America. Even the poorest immigrants dressed sharp, had respect for themselves, held their head high and had dignity."

"Once upon a time in America, not too long ago, from the captains of industry to the janitorial staff, dignity and style were essential elements of self respect. Whether it was a night at the opera or “take me out to the ball game,” theatergoers and sports fans dressed with the appropriate degrees of formality and care."

Nowadays: "Air travel? It’s a flying circus. The unkempt, ungroomed, the just-rolled-out-of-bed could care less if their smelly bare feet and grotesque appearance offends fellow flyers."