How wary are thais of Foreigners who can speak the language?

Smurkster

I live out in the sticks and it is very rare that I meet anyone that can put together more than a few basic sentences in English.

I have no choice but to speak Thai.

Yes, I often see the rabbit in headlights look when I approach a Thai shopkeeper and then see their relief when I talk to them in Thai.

They are happy that I can speak their language and usually compliment me much more than I actually deserve.

• Like 2

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Define speak the language.

There is so slang available in Thai or any language that there aren't many foreigners who can decipher exact meanings if Thais want to talk.

There are not many foreigners completely and utterly fluent in Thai.

There are dialects as well. If they want to "code" and you only understand "Bangkok Thai" they can talk fast in e-san or Lana & most Thai speaking Folung will be stumped.

• Like 1

Only people with bad intentions don't like it.

The only ones that frown at me are the TukTuk and cab drivers...

Cab drivers???

They'll bend your ear all day if your alone & show you can understand them.

I often talk politics with Taxi drivers. They are are generally happy to chat in my experience. Maybe not in the popular Tourist areas, but everywhere else they are eager to express opinions on many issues.

• Like 1

Being intermediate thai speaker myself, i agree with the numerous responses that 99% of thais are delighted that you can speak thai.

Upon discovering your talent, they do become keenly aware of the fact that they must watch what they say.... but that would be true of you also if you suddently realized that someone could clearly understand your language, when you had previosuly thought they couldnt. Anyone who has visited the Philippines or Singapore knows what I mean.

I find that its other farangs who resent your ability to speak thai more than anyone else. Its some sort of perverse game of "How Thai are you?" that is played by many farangs just beneath the surface of conversation.

• Like 1

This thread got VERY long very quickly, so I might have missed an explanation, but

What does "kee nook" mean in regard to farang?

Kee nok means a person of low social standing that tries to appear a lot better than he actually is

Farang kee nok is actually a Guava that looks good, but doesn't taste so great.

So when a Thai is called a Farang kee nok, it means that they are trying to give the impression that they are HiSo, when they are in fact LoSo. Putting on airs and graces.

When a foreigner is called Farang kee nok, it means that they are low class, but often the real reason is that they are not prepared to throw money around like a grinning moron as so many farangs do!

Kee = sheet Nok= bird Bird SH-- As in the folung are like Kee Nok

arrive all of a sudden out of the sky,

Stink & look gross for a while

Then disapear as mysteriously as they arrived.

My usual response is put on as sincear a smile as I can pretend, Whai with my hands held high as I bow and

say Khop Khun Mack cup pom. It never fails to crack them up & usually start friendly banter.

Cheers

Actually better do not learn language, you will enjoy the country and you will never get frustrated. It's much more complicated than foreigners think... It's not about understanding what they are speaking (unless you are with bar girl who tries suck as much money from you as she can)... By speaking thai and even worse read/write you are offending many thais (the exception are well educated thais who in opposite are very impressed and happy). Unfortunately I cannot share the reason on a forum (post will be deleted)

p.s. stop using L instead of R in thai words, by doing so you show that you are country side pumkin! Thais pay attention which word you use for 'eating' (there are about 5 different variation and you can understand which social level person belongs by which term he/she uses, you will be treated accordingly)

Edited by GertrudeL

Being intermediate thai speaker myself, i agree with the numerous responses that 99% of thais are delighted that you can speak thai.

Upon discovering your talent, they do become keenly aware of the fact that they must watch what they say.... but that would be true of you also if you suddently realized that someone could clearly understand your language, when you had previosuly thought they couldnt. Anyone who has visited the Philippines or Singapore knows what I mean.

I find that its other farangs who resent your ability to speak thai more than anyone else. Its some sort of perverse game of "How Thai are you?" that is played by many farangs just beneath the surface of conversation.

Thats what I have found. I've only really had positive feedback from Thais. Some farang seem to resent hearing me speak it.....they find it ok when I am helping them buy things though!

Once I was at Burger King, waiting behind a very fat and super obnoxious guy - he was very impolite, talking very loud with total disrespect for the staff, throwing stuff around, pretending the order was not correct, discussing the change, etc. Absolutely disgusting.

So when he got his tray, to get even, the girl behind the counter said loudly in Thai "and I hope you don't come back, fat pig!"

I can't really blame her!

I had some seconds to prepare my move and I smiled knowingly as I approached the counter.

She looked at me with an unsure look, trying to interpret my smile, when I said:

"I'm a smaller pig, but I'm hungry too"

Her eyes widened instantly, she yelped and fell on the floor behind the counter, red like someone who ate a 10 chili som tam.

She begun to say khortod - It's funny how she apparently thought foreigners look out for each other as Thais do...

Anyway I told her to not care about the stupid customer, and she recomposed quickly and we had a good laugh.

I agree with the posts saying that people who don't like Thai-speaking foreigners either have something to hide or are unscrupulous vendors/scammers.

As soon as such persons know you are talking Thai, they get this there-goes-my-easy-ripoff-deal look, usually followed by a bothered "what do you want?".

In most shops though, talking Thai is welcomed, vendors are very happy and in tourist spots the starting price for negociations drops instantly by about 50%.

And AFAIK, any other Thai persons are very happy too.

• Like 1

Well, yes, you are causing them to lose face by stepping in like that. If you are aware how that is viewed here and yet still do it, there's nothing to say.

How wary of foreigners are Thais? That depends on the individual, doesn't it?

Actually better do not learn language, you will enjoy the country and you will never get frustrated. It's much more complicated than foreigners think... It's not about understanding what they are speaking (unless you are with bar girl who tries suck as much money from you as she can)... By speaking thai and even worse read/write you are offending many thais (the exception are well educated thais who in opposite are very impressed and happy). Unfortunately I cannot share the reason on a forum (post will be deleted)

p.s. stop using L instead of R in thai words, by doing so you show that you are country side pumkin! Thais pay attention which word you use for 'eating' (there are about 5 different variation and you can understand which social level person belongs by which term he/she uses, you will be treated accordingly)

Hallo Gerty,

"p.s. stop using L instead of R in thai words, by doing so you show that you are country side pumkin! Thais pay attention which word you use for 'eating' (there are about 5 different variation and you can understand which social level person belongs by which term he/she uses, you will be treated accordingly)"

with those 2 sentences above, you have summarized what English-Teachers, Farang Managers of Thai Companies and Farang-Husbands of Thai -Wifes have not yet understood. Even after living here for 10 years or more.

More power to you.

Cheers.

My husband speaks fluent Thai (slang included) From my experience everyone we meet tends to really admire that he can speak Thai and we have gained some very great Thai friends because of this. I think the only time it wasn't welcome was when we were on a beach in samui where some massage ladies were discussing how much they were going to "get out of us" for a foot massage. They looked completely outraged when my husband explained to them in Thai that he would pay the standard rate and not a baht more.

Hallo Gerty,

"p.s. stop using L instead of R in thai words, by doing so you show that you are country side pumkin! Thais pay attention which word you use for 'eating' (there are about 5 different variation and you can understand which social level person belongs by which term he/she uses, you will be treated accordingly)"

with those 2 sentences above, you have summarized what English-Teachers, Farang Managers of Thai Companies and Farang-Husbands of Thai -Wifes have not yet understood. Even after living here for 10 years or more.

More power to you.

Cheers.

It's called code switching. I can easily go about pronouncing things with "l" sounds among the people who do that and then suddenly pull out a rolled "r" if I want to. It isn't that hard to do if you actually know how words are spelled. Conversely, I would sound kind of silly pronouncing all the "r"s as "r"s in a place where almost nobody else does.

A time and place for everything.

• Like 2

This thread got VERY long very quickly, so I might have missed an explanation, but

What does "kee nook" mean in regard to farang?

Kee nok means a person of low social standing that tries to appear a lot better than he actually is

Farang kee nok is actually a Guava that looks good, but doesn't taste so great.

So when a Thai is called a Farang kee nok, it means that they are trying to give the impression that they are HiSo, when they are in fact LoSo. Putting on airs and graces.

When a foreigner is called Farang kee nok, it means that they are low class, but often the real reason is that they are not prepared to throw money around like a grinning moron as so many farangs do!

Kee Nok = Birdshit

Kee Niau = A constipated Individual that has problems with defecating. With relation to the Farang: Hard to get any money out of him. In short "Kiniau" . At any rate the above text applies to both descriptions:

To simplify: A Kee Nok / Kee Niau Farang is automatically a "bad-Farang".

Cheers.

For me it is more of a problem that they are happy they can talk to me. I enjoy speaking Thai but in general I don't like to chat a lot (in any language) and it gets tiresome chatting with everyone that wants to talk with me. I have restaurants I don't go to often anymore because the owner will want to talk and talk.

I often avoid speaking Thai to people because I don't want to be bothered chatting all the time, especially in places I frequent where I am stuck there for a while. I have been going to the same barber for ten years. When I first went I spoke almost no Thai, ten years later and he still doesn't know I can speak Thai. I can remember every verbal interaction we have ever had, a total of three, and I like it that way.

I work at trying to communicate correctly - even if basically ... with street vendors, check out clerks at Tesco, workers at Home Pro... neighbors... not elaborately (which I cannot really do) but correctly... I have found many Thai vendors who reach for their calculator to show the price but cannot find it quickly ... I just say - in Thai - 'please say in Thai' -- it is okay ... and they immediately do ... and seem very pleased when I understand - repeat and pay ...

I work to find ways of making small jokes about prices being too expensive when they are not. And I have succeeded in making them know it is a joke... such as saying something that is obviously not expensive (cheap) is really expensive to me -- I smile and laugh and find Thai words to let them know my little fraud... They most often laugh a lot... They know I am really saying it is a bargain...

I have worked out and rehearsed phrases to explain that I was in Thailand many years ago as an American soldier in Isaan working with the Thai Army ... in the Phu Phan ... I have got this down pretty good and after I use these few phrases - they are convinced I am fluent in Thai.. But I come back with ... no, I know only a little ... I discovered an old Thai idiom here on TVF that when used correctly - makes the Thai people laugh hysterically... I repeat that I know only a little Thai language ... then I say again I know only a little bit... then I use the idiom -- Phom roo 'nguu nguu bphla bphla' --- the Thai idiom 'snake snake fish fish' which from many hundreds of years ago means 'little bit' - as I understand... when I pronounce this correctly with the proper lead in -- the Thais I am talking to -- just bust out laughing ... I am then an instant winner... and can do no wrong in their eyes... Such Fun the Thais can be ...

• Like 2

They like even the most babbling attempt at Thai. Don't forget that most Thais speak Thai Plus their own local dialect; whether it be Isan, Southern....

If they don't want us to understand what they are saying for whatever reason, they just switch. My wife still does that with her family and friends after 12 years. I love it.

It's the reverse for me.When i am around,they switch from Khymer to Thai,which i appreciate,then back to Khymer if its none of my business.

Hey Geltlude,city Thailand,countryside Thailand,it's all Thailand.We all speak with variations,where ever we come from,USA,UK for example.I would say you would be one of those falang kee noks.Learning the language is the best thing i ever did,got me a whole bunch of new friends.

Come on Costa, what is Greek Thai...just a lot of arm waving, that's the way Greeks speak every language in the world. I'm sure that no matter what you say, you always end up with a glass of red wine smile.png

Costa is (to me) one of the coolest posters around here. Educated and well traveled and his posts are a mixture of wisdom and humor all at the same time.

While others dwell on "is the glass half full or half empty", I am sure Costa will see to it that his glass is always full and not having to dwell on things like "is the glass half empty or half full".

"Zorbas the Greek". is alive and lives somewhere in Thailand.smile.png

Cheers.

• Like 1

It goes like this... when you speak/reply in Thai, first you see this hesitant, kinda lost look on their faces:

what just did this farang said? was that Thai he was speaking to me? and after 2-3 seconds... yes, it

was Thai he was speaking to me, now.. what did he said ? yeah, I can actually understand what he

said to me, WOW, this farang can speak Thai.... and just like that, with shock and awe look on their

faces they proceed to reply to you.... still marveling at our ability to master their language...

But they reply to you in English. So you answer back in Thai, then they come back at you a second time in English ... and so on. Back and forth. I encourage it - it's deliciously wicked when you observe other people listening in. They get a bemused look on their faces and don't know what the heck is going on. smile.png

There is always the possibility that the person is not Thai. Otherwise, it's very ignorant of Thais to repeatedly speak in English at what appears to be a foreigner when that foreigner is speaking to them in their native language. Thais who do this should spend some time in France as they would find it quite enlightening.

I would say the OP Smurkster has some inferiority complexes and somehow judges others by his perceived low opinion of himself and wrongly ass-u me s that other share his distaste for himself. Host country residents always are delighted when you can speak their language and are very quick to compliment you for it. The only time it ever was advisable to play the dunce as the OP called it was when doing drug interdiction work in the middle east and knowing Arabic language; it let me know when situations were about to become hazardous for my health.

Define speak the language.

There is so slang available in Thai or any language that there aren't many foreigners who can decipher exact meanings if Thais want to talk.

There are not many foreigners completely and utterly fluent in Thai.

Exactly. In most conversations we hear Thais speaking the only word we understand is "falang". Strangely, it usually conjectures thoughts of negativity.

Just as in English there are different linguistic codes....geez I can barely understand some kiwis or English people partly as my hearing isn't as good now! Travellers tell me they understand my English, but often not others who speak the same language, which spurs me on to enunciate more clearly as I get quite lazy and am shocked hearing my own diction when accidently taped.

Son began Thai learning from day 1 here, but was later retaught by another girlfriend to speak more correct Thai as

most of the time it is welcomed and very appreciative problem for me is they start talking too fast and I can only pick up bits of it. One time in patts a few years ago a puss thought that I was an arab (i.e. you have many arabs there who speak thai well) but didnt belive I am from oz (I am luk krung with aussie accent)

Smurkster, put a little twist to your OP, what would you think of a foreigner in your home country not even trying to speak the national language? I can see it as the same here for the locals, those that don't even try would be frowned upon.

Unacceptable to some, it is not up to Thai's to learn English carrying out their normal jobs, same as it wouldn't be expected for a shopkeeper in New York or Liverpool to learn Thai for a visitor from Thailand.