Thailand is great, but what are the options elsewhere?

jpinx

I've been a few places in this world and absolutely nothing is as electric as Thailand. But it's definitely not for everyone. It can be very hectic and hard to deal with at times.

Which part of Thailand is that? Maybe I should visit it some time.

I find Jomtien/Pattaya to be quite sedate and very easy to deal with. "Electric" is certainly not a word that springs to my mind.

BKK.

Hmm. I was there a few weeks ago. I saw a lot of slow-moving traffic but not much else of interest and certainly nothing exciting (unless you find IKEA exciting, which apparently some do). I would not want to live there at all.

• Like 2

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do not need to work, all those places you mentioned are fine. If you need to work, then you will have to contend with high prices. Singapore, Hong Kong and China have opportunity as will Indonesia one day and possibly Burma.

Many of the English teaching back packing lot who love Thailand and hate China say that the loved Kunming. It is two hours flight north of Bangkok. The attitude is similar to Bangkok, but you must learn to speak Chinese.

If you are going to live in Asia for a while, you need to learn the local language. If you are not working, then learn the langauge

If you do not need to work, all those places you mentioned are fine. If you need to work, then you will have to contend with high prices. Singapore, Hong Kong and China have opportunity as will Indonesia one day and possibly Burma.

Many of the English teaching back packing lot who love Thailand and hate China say that the loved Kunming. It is two hours flight north of Bangkok. The attitude is similar to Bangkok, but you must learn to speak Chinese.

If you are going to live in Asia for a while, you need to learn the local language. If you are not working, then learn the langauge

The problem is what language to learn. If you like to travel you can't learn 3/4/5 languages. Thai isn't much use outside Thailand.

The problem is what language to learn. If you like to travel you can't learn 3/4/5 languages. Thai isn't much use outside Thailand.

Bhasa is easy and spoken iin Indonesia and Malaysia. Chinese, Chna the worlds second largest economy. Northern Bumese speak Chinese as does other boarder areas around China. Those areas tend to be interesting as well.

If you looking to buy a house , own a business, not having to have a work permit and make visa runs every 90 days then check out Malaysia. Don't go to Thailand unless you don't want to own a house, don't want a business, don't want land, and don't mind getting a work permit to even write a book, etc. Unless ofcourse your married to a Thai, and then you still won't own anything, he/she will.

• Like 2

I've been a few places in this world and absolutely nothing is as electric as Thailand. But it's definitely not for everyone. It can be very hectic and hard to deal with at times.

Which part of Thailand is that? Maybe I should visit it some time.

I find Jomtien/Pattaya to be quite sedate and very easy to deal with. "Electric" is certainly not a word that springs to my mind.

BKK.

Hmm. I was there a few weeks ago. I saw a lot of slow-moving traffic but not much else of interest and certainly nothing exciting (unless you find IKEA exciting, which apparently some do). I would not want to live there at all.

Thailand is definitely not a place for everyone. But if you can't find a party in every doorway here, then you're blind or dead.

I think if I was younger I would have given Panama a try, $2000 a month gets you a permanent retirement visa with no reporting, cost of living about the same as Thailand, and much cheaper health care, but I'm sure, like Thailand, it would have it's downside. Oh, and beautiful women.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

I think if I was younger I would have given Panama a try, $2000 a month gets you a permanent retirement visa with no reporting, cost of living about the same as Thailand, and much cheaper health care, but I'm sure, like Thailand, it would have it's downside. Oh, and beautiful women.

If the expats at the panamaforum.com are to be believed, they make Panama seem worse than Thailand and much more expensive, not too mention more dangerous and more crime. I had given Panama serious thoughts for a while until reading that Panama forum for a number of months. Sure it doesn't replace visiting, but you get a good idea of living somewhere after reading numerous topics and posts about every day life.

Who OJ he's in jail? really? oops sorry missread Philippines would be great if there were no Philipino's And Tagalo to hard to learn. My Thai better than My tagalo will ever be. Thailand When I want a laugh You got the TAT reports on tourism The Thai royal police Crime reports. Thai soap opera's Good love that there in thai. But over all Thailand is different keeps you laughing .

Just spent 2 years working in Malaysia and it's definitely not a place I would wish to settle in. I think that the place is screwed up.

Not a patch on living in Thailand. Also lived in Singapore for 11years. Great place for work and the safest place in this area of the world.

How does the OP come to the conclusion that Korat is a tourist trap?

Far from it.

I am from Northern England but I now call Korat home.

• Like 1

Home is where your feet land, and how you make your mark is up to you. Giving something back to the community where you've decided to live is always appreciated.....whether you impart some knowledge, a skill or a service, you will feel good about yourself no matter where you are.

• Like 1

Istanbul

Half the cost of Europe, great food, local wine, architecture, history, beaches in the south. And the girls are fantactic, plus they don't want a visa, or a new pickup truck, or a new house up-country built for their parents and relatives...they just want you!

96.4% Muslim with arranged marriages being the norm, why would Turkish women be chasing you?

I don't believe that one too, if a young Turkish woman started to date a Westerner she will expelled from from her family or worse and you will be running for your life.

Turkey is a very interesting place for holidays, it's beautiful and people are friendly (as long as you don't chase their women, lol).

If I had enough money and my Thai wife agreed, I would move to Majorca (Spain).

Well since my wife don't want to leave Thailand anyway, I don't have to worry about it but enjoy it here instead which is not too hard.

I was in Tahiti for six months (but on a sailboat) I found it much more expensive than the Philippines. If you speak Spanish

Argentina is great. (retirement not working) Friendly people, fantastic food and wine. I recommend the areas around and

between Mendoza and Salta. As with many places it is easy to buy but hard to sell. Also buying is very expensive compared

to renting.

Consider Dominican Republic. Speaking Spanish is a must, but very inexpensive, plentiful HOT women (or men if you are so bent and YES, pun intended) and very laid back. TRY before you buy!!! Spend a very extended vacation in any of the options given to you here before you pull up roots permanently.

Istanbul

Half the cost of Europe, great food, local wine, architecture, history, beaches in the south. And the girls are fantactic, plus they don't want a visa, or a new pickup truck, or a new house up-country built for their parents and relatives...they just want you!

Istanbul is fantastic city. But half the price of Europe? If you mean Paris, Stockholm, Munich, Geneva, then maybe yes. But Istanbul is one of the most expensive cities to live, particularly rent/housing. Great food! And for culture, I like it better than any other city in the world, except for New York.

Istanbul

96.4% Muslim with arranged marriages being the norm, why would Turkish women be chasing you?

I don't 'play for the other team' but I would have to say that most Turkish women are not attractive or beautiful. Turkish men are by and large very handsome guys.

Having said that, most Turkish people (men and women) don't live in a bubble and are interesting people to talk with. Thailand... not so much.

Edited by Minnehaha

I heard in news that Panama is the best place for retiree, never been there not sure if they only speak Spanish or English as well or if it is cheap. But the news said they have most happy people in the world. May be someone who been there and elaborate more.

I liked Canary Island too, not very expensive, lots of tourist and a good weather. Greece is a good place too. Nice people and good food, I love the music.

I have been in Peru and Bolivia, they both nice and it was quite cheap. I was there long long time before. The only problem with almost all South American countries is the crime. They have lovely music and good food. Lots of meat eater.

Well I found Thailand the best for many reason. It is cheap, you find many people from your mother land, lots of other tourists and expats, good food, lots of places to visit or stay long time, everything available 24/7, easy living, etc. I just hope that they could make their visa more friendly. It is irritating that you have to report every 3 months, have to extend your retiree visa once a year, have problem buying land or house and leave you no choice but with highly priced condo, The Thai government should make the place more tourist and expat friendly. It is ridiculous that almost all the expats thing they have no rights here when the other party involved is a Thai national. There should be a law against group attach of Thai or foreigners. They just beat the hell of foreigners for a small mistake they make. Else this country is a beautiful place to live in.

• Like 1

Belgium does have some very nice towns and if you're a beer drinker there's no better place on Earth. The locals are also very friendly but again it's cold.

If I didn't live in Thailand it would have to be Hong Kong. Super friendly helpful people and you get Southern China and Macao thrown in.

Accommodation is pricey but food is reasonable. Everything else is pretty cheap. Weather is warm but can be very sticky.

I agree with Belgium, beer drinker's heaven. :)

HK... is the only place I've been to that I didn't like. Really just could not warm to the place. I'd go there for work, but not as 'somewhere to go'.

Belgium does have some very nice towns and if you're a beer drinker there's no better place on Earth. The locals are also very friendly but again it's cold.

If I didn't live in Thailand it would have to be Hong Kong. Super friendly helpful people and you get Southern China and Macao thrown in.

Accommodation is pricey but food is reasonable. Everything else is pretty cheap. Weather is warm but can be very sticky.

I agree with Belgium, beer drinker's heaven. smile.png

HK... is the only place I've been to that I didn't like. Really just could not warm to the place. I'd go there for work, but not as 'somewhere to go'.

Hong Kong can seem very intimidating if you don't have friends to show you around. But for me it's the people who really make the place they are business minded, and in my experience very honest and as I said Macao is just an hour away. Plus many islands to visit. I'm not a beach person I'd rather sit in a classy restaurant and of course just about everything is tax-free.

I hear North Korea is a popular destination this season. Westerners visit once and never return.

Yeah, they're very generous with the long stay visas I've heard. They even give you somewhere to stay.

Edited by BusyB

I hear Indonesia gives farang 5 year visa if you marry one the local lasses. I am gonna check this place out.

The young guys are pigs. 3-4 over them will walk up to your girl and ask to her go off with them. They'll even do it in the middle of a restaurant.

The local girls won't go with them unless they are forced into marriage because most of the men are skint.

Beautiful Country and used to be very cheap. East and West Timor are very interesting and hardly any Muslim !#!$$##$ there.

Everyone seems to have bypassed Indonesia as an option. I recently concluded a two year stay in Bali and found it a very easy place to live although it is more complex on the visa side of things. However, when comparing Thailand, the Philippines and Indonesia you have to understand that they all suffer from the same levels of corruption and crime in society. I did however feel that the overall level of education in Indonesia is on a slightly higher level.

Bali is beautiful though but getting very overcrowded and can be expensive if you are not familiar with where to shop, eat and drink. Quite high levels of tax on alcohol too but this is to be expected in a Muslim country.

Overall I really enjoyed my time there and will revisit in the future.

I spent lots of time on Sumatra almost 20 years ago. Absolutely beautiful. Thailand is great. I have spent lots of time learning Thai language. Many days I do not speak any English. If living in Thailand becomes untenable for me -- which I am not anticipating -- I will go back to non-coastal Florida.

Edited by JLCrab

Everyone seems to have bypassed Indonesia as an option. I recently concluded a two year stay in Bali and found it a very easy place to live although it is more complex on the visa side of things. However, when comparing Thailand, the Philippines and Indonesia you have to understand that they all suffer from the same levels of corruption and crime in society. I did however feel that the overall level of education in Indonesia is on a slightly higher level.

Bali is beautiful though but getting very overcrowded and can be expensive if you are not familiar with where to shop, eat and drink. Quite high levels of tax on alcohol too but this is to be expected in a Muslim country.

Overall I really enjoyed my time there and will revisit in the future.

Bali is mainly Hindu, not Muslim.