Metered taxis? LOL

phuketrichard

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PhuketRichard and NKM,

by your assumptions that nothing will be done if you complain, and spreading your apathetic opinions re changes in Phuket, makes you part of the problem IMHO.

And another part is the people who you complain to taking it no further.

And I think it is more than an assumption........the problem is obviously still around despite all the past assurances it would be addressed.

You might as well tell the cat!

Nothing will be done if you don't report him. Maybe they will get one report and keep it on file, but if they are constantly getting reports from different people they will do something. It's slack <deleted> like yourself, who jump on here and complain rather than actually doing something about it, that is half the problem.

This is not just Phuket, we have "meter" taxis here in Hat Yai. Yet, they will never use the meter, you can't hail them, you need to book a day in advance.

When questioning the drivers, they think they have a choice to use the meters, just as we have a choice not to use the taxi if we feel that its not fair.

Does anyone know of a city other than Bangkok where the meter system is in operation and is used ?

Reports, reports ... How long have you guys lived here ?

The reports may be filed, there may be a 1000B / complaint fine, and then after 6 months or a year. A deal will be negotiated, to obtain a lower figure, a percentage will disappear to the person who "helps".

Edited by recom273

So lets assume expats that stay in Phuket reports those taxis but how about the millions of tourists that visit every year Phuket. Do you really think that those tourists will waste time in reporting any one.

Nothing will change in Phuket or any where in Thailand. Its just cosmetic and PR by the government.

I agree with the critics. It's better to complain anytime the rules are broken, it's the only way the government can help.

Those of use who've been here for 30 years have looked forward to this kind of change for a long time and there is no doubt action taken to date is light years ahead of anything done in the past. The least we can do it make a report in a case like this. It's anonymous, so there's no risk of being harassed (or worse) by the taxi mafia.

Cheers

• Like 1

Ya know whats sad?

It is same price to fly to Bkk from Phuket as to take a taxi to he airport.

It is cheaper to get a hotel room in Patong to stay after a night of drinking than to take a taxi from Patong to Rawai.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

^ In the light of every thing they have accomplished, I don't understand the defeatist attitudes. The mafias back has been broken. Karon and Patong mayors, head of the Patong taxi federations, along with about 200 others in supporting roles have been arrested, many are still in jail. Documents and bank records are still being investigated. Hundreds of taxi sala's have been removed, black plated taxi drivers are getting arrested and heavily fined all over the island, and having their vehicles seized left and right. Green plated taxi's are now forbidden from parking in public spaces in Patong, or from taking people to anywhere other than the airport. The new mayor of Patong is pushing for converting tuk tuks to hop on hop off baht buses. The situation at the airport has vastly improved as well, with more metered taxi's stationed up front, which can now pick up all over the island. Obviously it's still not 100%, but I have seen much of this with my own eyes. The war is far from over, but several battles have now been won. Big change has happened, and bigger change is still needed. They have accomplished more in the last 6 months than in the last 20 years. Until every tuk tuk driver is randomly drug tested (including alcohol), is converted to either "baht bus" hop on hop off for a nominal fee, or fitted with a meter, then the scams will continue and the islands reputation will continue to suffer.

pr had one incident of a meter taxi not wanting to turn on their meter and it's "Nothing has changed, nothing will ever change." I'm sorry, that's just ridiculous.

Sorry to hear your car broke down Richard. Phuket is still a bad place to have to rely on public transport.

Well, I did go to the Phuket police station to complain once.

I asked a Thai friend where the police station was in Phuket Town, She told me how to get there, and then said "But nothing will happen".

I did go anyway. I wanted to see the process.

The officer in charge of filing complaints was not on site. One officer kept saying "Diio Maa". But he never showed up. One and a half hour later, an officer who was present all the time decided to document the complaint.

I lost the whole afternoon.

But my Thai friend was right, after making numerous calls, nothing ever happened from that complaint.

So now, let's make it someone else's turn to complain... And see if something will happen...

PhuketRichard and NKM,

by your assumptions that nothing will be done if you complain, and spreading your apathetic opinions re changes in Phuket, makes you part of the problem IMHO.

And another part is the people who you complain to taking it no further.

And I think it is more than an assumption........the problem is obviously still around despite all the past assurances it would be addressed.

You might as well tell the cat!

I did. But he just shrugged and threw his paws in the air.

• Like 1

I asked a Thai friend where the police station was in Phuket Town, She told me how to get there, and then said "But nothing will happen".

The officer in charge of filing complaints was not on site. One officer kept saying "Diio Maa". But he never showed up. One and a half hour later, an officer who was present all the time decided to document the complaint.

But my Thai friend was right, after making numerous calls, nothing ever happened from that complaint.

So now, let's make it someone else's turn to complain... And see if something will happen...

laugh.png

laugh.png

If I understand your reply correctly, it means you will take the next turn at filing a complaint...whistling.gif

Well, in Samui a meeting is held once in a while to find a solution to the taxi problems, which are similar to Phuket. Last meeting it was decided to use meters, but that there would be some extra charges. I believe it was 50 baht flagfall and 50 baht surcharge, so basically starting at 100 baht. Now all Samui taxis have clearly visible stickers with this 2x50 baht surcharge, but none of them have meters installed. I am guessing the price now is whatever it was before plus 100 baht :-)

Definitely call the number...

and tell the driver you are going to do it too..

The more people that make a stand the more things do change here, things have certainly started to improve but only when we complain and tourism is down.

I take it you do this after checking the trunk for a Samurai sword... whistling.gif

car broke down yesterday and had to take a bus from Khao lak, got off at the Heroines Monument to take the local Songtaew back to Kamala

A metered taxi passed, so flagged him down

Speaking thai told him where i wanted to go an he said 400 baht, i said no, put on meter, he said meter maybe 200 (its about 10 kms)

so i said correct

he said again 400

i said bye bye and took the songtaew 5 minutes later for 30 baht.

so its all bullshit!!!

Whats the purpose of having taxi's that can pick you up but still charge crazy prices??

I do agree with others.. This needs to be reported. If no report is made nothing will improve.. Make a report and there is at least a chance this taxi may reconsider in the future.

I also believe (correct me if it already is) that the ability to report taxi's should be made clearly possible when tourists are arriving into Thailand including the colour of number plates etc that are legal or not. Patong alone has a large number of illegal 'black plates' taxi's working along the beach.. To see a police box and a common spot for tourist police also to be less than 50m's from these give the obvious interest the general law enforcement has in this topic. Raise it while someone who is interested in positive change is in power.

Btw.. It does make me laugh the taxi tells you that using the meter that the fair would be 200฿ and continues to tell you he will charge you 400฿!

all you that still claim i should have reported do as someone said

go out , flag down a taxi an see if they turn on the meter and if not report them an report back to us.

as to the 200 vs 400 he knew what the fare would be and so did I

the legal fare was not enough profit for him

Try that in the "real" world LOL

Bottom line is that still costs 400 baht from Patong to Karon , so what has changed ?

That's the way I see it.

I really don't care what colour plates the vehicle has, I also don't care too much about the age of the vehicle, if the air condition works, how clean it is etc etc - it's the ridiculous pricing, especially between the beaches.

all you that still claim i should have reported do as someone said

go out , flag down a taxi an see if they turn on the meter and if not report them an report back to us.

as to the 200 vs 400 he knew what the fare would be and so did I

the legal fare was not enough profit for him

Try that in the "real" world LOL

Why don't you stop deflecting?

You're complaining on here, but at the same time not taking any action because 'it won't help'. I'm sure your post here will help.