Bangkok streets to become more beautiful

webfact

Bangkok streets to become more beautiful
By Coconuts Bangkok

beautifulroad.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Ten ugly roads in Bangkok are about to get a whole lot lovelier under the "Ten Beautiful Roads" project, according to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.

How will the roads be beautified?

More trees will be planted, streets and sidewalks repaired, road markings repainted, street lights fixed, illegal ads removed and vendors organized, Deputy Permanent Secretary Pirapong Saicheua explained Friday.
The project will be completed in November, he added.

The roads that will get a makeover include [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/09/23/bangkok-streets-become-more-beautiful

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-09-23

• Like 1

Doesn't matter how many trees you plant, doesn't matter how many flower pots or rainbows you decorate the streets with.

If you don't do something about this horrible congestion in BKK nothing will change.

They go out for 2 or 3 days, pretending they are serious with enforcing the law and then they forget about anything, till next time they want to do headlines.

That's not how it works.

• Like 1

until they get rid of all the idiotic obstacles on footpaths (like trees that take up over half a footpath width) and ultimately the vendors cooking food etc the streets/Roads are still going to be a hazard for pedestrians..never mind people sat in cars

until they get rid of all the idiotic obstacles on footpaths (like trees that take up over half a footpath width) and ultimately the vendors cooking food etc the streets/Roads are still going to be a hazard for pedestrians..never mind people sat in cars

I don't mind the roads being hazardous, but don't encourage them to make the pavements better.

Its bad enough the motorbikes all over them, don't need them to be so clear that cars start using them too.

When I say that, I do realize cars often do use the pavements already but mainly for parking rather than driving.

• Like 2

Doesn't matter how many trees you plant, doesn't matter how many flower pots or rainbows you decorate the streets with.

If you don't do something about this horrible congestion in BKK nothing will change.

They go out for 2 or 3 days, pretending they are serious with enforcing the law and then they forget about anything, till next time they want to do headlines.

That's not how it works.

I saw a guy selling peanuts the other day. He was busy for two hours (!) decorating them in a basket so they all point from the center outward. He did not sell any peanuts during this time, but the decoration was awesome…

• Like 2

The project will be completed in November, he added.

Did not say what year though.giggle.gif

There was a very recent vow / pledge to remove all the unnecessary signs for the streets, including old political posters etc. Has that actually happened? If they can't achieve that, or they can't move the illegal stalls from the footpath, how can they expect people to take them seriously?

Anyone thinking about the overhead power cables mess?

Wonder why the BMA or government can't move the power lines and phone lines that line both sides of the sidewalk to underneath the BTS railways, it'll make a big difference along Sukhumvit road. I know moving it underground would be even better, but that would be costly, the best scenario seems to be moving it to the middle divider, then separate it out to the sidewalks in small sections. You will still see power cables, but I think it will be less and more organized.