have you had money stolen from atm

i have been using a oz bank for 58yrs and used atm card here for 12yrs i went to get money atm account closed rang bank said would start again but no reason why stopped rang daughter to see why and emailed statment the last transation was not mine but made from at my last atm transation used at makro the bank said nothing? the wife read on here facebook it is starting to happen often in los i will never use atm only at banks where they have cameras

I have been using an oz bank for 58yrs and have been using an atm card here for 12yrs.

I went to get money from the ATM machine but the account was closed.

I rang the bank and they told me that they will reopen the account, but they gave me no reason as to why the account was stopped.

I rang my daughter to ask the bank and she emailed my statement.

The last transation was not mine, but made from makro where I used my ATM card the last time.

The bank said nothing.

The wife read on her facebook that this happens often in los.

i will never use the atm card in any shops, only at banks where they have cameras.

I think that's what the OP is trying to tell us Duchisaan, hope I'm right.

• Like 2

for balance, been using a foreign ATM card for last 14 years all over Thailand and never had anything nicked from the account, and if the bank believe there has been "funny" withdrawals from the account they call me to check before blocking the card...wink.png

• Like 1

i have used that account all over world many times with no problem but this the first time ok bank donnt know

where i live but they must have known something funny to block when money missing and not tell me why

they must have some idea what happened

To: OP .. Opalred... I will try to find some knowledgeable TVF friends to help you to understand what has gone wrong.. But first - most people who have this problem call the bank and have the card suspended ... Have you done that? Because if you have not - the thefts from your card can go on... With some feedback and information maybe I can get help for you.

For this reason I have two Accounts in Thailand - One with limited funds for which I carry around an ATM card and top up from a main account as required. Another account is the main one with the ATM card remaining in the safe.

Sage advice ... thumbsup.gif

put it plainly some arshole got into my account at atm and withdraws my <deleted>..k..i..g money

and bank want to turn blind eye

maybe start with your wife...before blaming everyone else....thumbsup.gif

The guy has got a serious problem - do you really think your popping off helped him any?... What is wrong with some of you anyway? What an awful thing to say ... and how you said it -- a flippant wisecrack ... is that all you can do ?

Good Grief ... are you taking your meds to control impulsive behavior -- Do you know you can be treated?

It is a possibility. Many things in Thailand are possible.

The comment wasn't tactfully written ... granted.

But the OP does use some colourful language ... "some arshole got into my account at atm and withdraws my <deleted>..k..i..g money" ...

• Like 1

For this reason I have two Accounts in Thailand - One with limited funds for which I carry around an ATM card and top up from a main account as required. Another account is the main one with the ATM card remaining in the safe.

I go one better: my main accounts have no ATM card attached to them at all. Only the small feeder account has an ATM card.

• Like 1

I personally know 4 different people to whom this has happened. One lost a million Baht or so. It only seems to happen with Thai cards, presumably because cards from farangland come with fraudulent use guarantees which Thai cards don't have.

I never use ATM machines here except for the ones inside my own bank.

I taught English was Australia native languagegiggle.gif

I once had someone buy expensive Yankee tickets of my bank of America card which they called me about and refunded.

But later I was thinking it must of been someone that I know and at some stage seen my card number.

A lot of scum living in NYC.

put it plainly some arshole got into my account at atm and withdraws my <deleted>..k..i..g money

The guy has got a serious problem - do you really think your popping off helped him any?... What is wrong with some of you anyway? What an awful thing to say ... and how you said it -- a flippant wisecrack ... is that all you can do ?

Good Grief ... are you taking your meds to control impulsive behavior -- Do you know you can be treated?

The comment wasn't tactfully written ... granted.

The comment has been removed. I reported it.

I once had someone buy expensive Yankee tickets of my bank of America card which they called me about and refunded.

But later I was thinking it must of been someone that I know and at some stage seen my card number.

Before you take the piss out of someone, maybe you should learn how to write. Taught is not the same as thought? Just a heads-up.

Before you take the piss out of someone, maybe you should learn how to write. Taught is not the same as thought? Just a heads-up.

Thanks, can you please give the OP a serious heads-up? giggle.gif

Btw I would put that simple mistake down to human error, do you not have any homework to correct? cheesy.gif

Edited by thai20144
  • Like 1

OP, you need to contact your bank directly and talk to them regarding the issue. If your card was skimmed and later on bad guys took money from your account, well, it happens all over the world. Contact your bank directly--that is, "you" contact them and talk to them...get the info first hand versus relying on the info being relayed to you. Your bank will be able to tell you exactly when, where and for how much the withdrawals were for, and the procedures you need to follow to attempt reimbursement of the money.

aussie banks will refund fraudulent transactions, all you need do is tell them that it was not you. My aussie bank has my current address in Thailand listed, it is smart to let them know where you are so they can make informed decisions. I would be reporting this to my bank if the transaction was not made by you or with your card as well as reporting it to the police or the bank the machine belongs to so that they can check it. I will only use teller machines that are in banks for this reason, in Thailand you have to play it safe as there is so much theft of cards happening but then again it is endemic all over the world these days.

oh dear I seemed to have ruffled some very sensitive feathers indeed and not taking a pop at all

My remark wasnt intended as being a wise crack, it was intended as being a very serious bit of advice, as in a lot of cases, it is somebody known to the account holder who dips into their accounts via an ATM card and doesnt tell the person and its typically the spouse or GF and the remark does just apply to Thai spouses/GF's either, which I suspect is what is getting everyone all hot under the collar about.

Calm down dear boy and take your heart meds/BP meds, dont want you popping a blood vessel

Edited by Soutpeel