Similan Islands - opinions wanted

Tuskfish

Anyone been before?

Did you go diving?

Were the beaches clean(ish)?

Recommendations on places to stay? (10k per night max preferred)

How did you get there?

Anything unexpected to know about?

What to do on the islands except diving and chilling with a cocktail?

Cheers! thumbsup.gif

Edited by Tuskfish

Semilan islands to the best of my knowledge are managed by the Thai Navy.

They open and close them with little or no warning. They used to be open only in the high season.

I tried to make bookings there, but never had a reply.

Ferries leave from the mainland as group trips.

They seemed to be very basic. You might find a chilled beer there, if you add ice.

• Like 1

It's overdone IMO. I left from khao lak. I just didn't like the experience, too many boats in the water and people threw up on my boat.

My advice, try the little more awkward to get to lam song national park, which I loved. Then head out to surin islands. I did not go to surin myself, but will next time. You can't lose with a day at lam song park though, take a boat out to an island in the morning. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

It's overdone IMO. I left from khao lak. I just didn't like the experience, too many boats in the water and people threw up on my boat.

My advice, try the little more awkward to get to lam song national park, which I loved. Then head out to surin islands. I did not go to surin myself, but will next time. You can't lose with a day at lam song park though, take a boat out to an island in the morning. Highly recommended.

I'm interested but couldn't find any information about lam song national park. Does it go under another name?

The most "in-demand" areas are a "protected national park". That means there are limited slots handed out to the various tour operators, every year. The allocations are probably still too high (i.e. too crowded). The dates that it is open for visitors are actually fixed well in advance. I've been there before and it took a one year advance booking. If you're only now thinking of going for the upcoming season it's probably already too late. I had fun snorkeling and looking down at a LOT of sealife just below us, it felt "worth it" to me, but YMMV.

What's your main reason for going to the island? If it's diving, you are much better off on a live-aboard. When you wake up in the morning, you are dozens of miles away from your last dive site and right on top of the mornings site. Plus, many sites are out of reach of "day trippers". Which is fantastic.

If your main reason is a bit of beach and a bit of diving, then it's an OK island. There's really nothing to do on the island. Here's a good picture summary of the lodgings available, tents are also there:

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/style1/default.asp?npid=212&lg=2

It is beautiful and I'm sure when the day trippers go home, it's a very quiet place to be.

• Like 1

I'm interested but couldn't find any information about lam song national park. Does it go under another name?

It's laem song national park I spelled it how we we saying it, which were probably both incorrect.

It's one of the best spots I've been in thailand. Not touristy, beautiful, a lot of activities like boat rides, picnics, lounging. A lot of local families go there, who are Thai, but they seemed to have a very different vibe about them, in a good way.

• Like 1

Cheers everyone for taking the time to reply to me

We're just after a nice island getaway which has smaller crowds than the average and hopefully a nice clean beach to unwind on for a week - both of us been working too damn hard!

We've done Phi Phi, Phuket and Samet before. They are all nice in their own ways. Just wanting to explore a bit further out in the hope of less people :)

Looking at this request, "Recommendations on places to stay? (10k per night max preferred)", I think the OP will be disappointed with the options at the islands.

Thanks guys, I should clarify the 10k comment.

I don't wish to sound snobby there! We've stayed in some amazing places before for 1-2k per night too. I just wrote that because we are happy to splurge this time if needed. It doesn't have to be 10k

The Similan Islands are awesome for diving. I spent two weeks on a live aboard with Sunrise Scuba and there was as much beauty

above the water than in. There were trips to the island's beaches in between dives. But that is just about as much as you can expect.

There isn't a lot to do. Just enjoy the World Class Diving and just relax and take it easy.

post-221293-0-77678200-1411632437_thumb.

For a tourist who wants to do some good snorkelling daytrips, Similan islands is the place 4 you, me & my son done 3 daytrips, similan, koh tachi, & surin island in between relaxing @ kao-lak, dont forget the patrol boat tsunami memorial, & the #9 restaurant.

regards songhklasid.coffee1.gifclap2.gif