Ta Hai Brings Authentic Chinese Food to Jomtien (Chaiyapruek)

Jingthing

Similar food as the small Chinese that was in the past at Jomtien and is now on the dark side ?

When they were in Jomtien they weren't really a functioning restaurant. Communication was nonexistent. Most menu items not available. Things expected from the menu not served. So I wouldn't compare that place to this place. This place is a fully functioning professional restaurant. Largish complete and varied menu and they actually have the dishes. Communication is good. I have not tried the new location of that place which I have heard is better than the closed Jomtien place. I wouldn't even agree all that similar, but sure some overlap. It's much closer really in menu items to Shanghai restaurant on 3rd road but again very different places, both worth trying. Also Shanghai has a number of dishes not found at Ta Hai and Ta Hai has a number of dishes not found at Shanghai.

To be clear, I am not really traditionally "reviewing" here or suggesting either Shanghai or Ta Hai have the best Chinese food in the world.

I am saying it certainly is getting much easier to find nice, interesting, more authentic Chinese food in Pattaya ... and now JOMTIEN these days.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for the photos jingthing. This place looks good and great for us living near chiapruk. Do you know if they serve alcohol and what are the prices like? Great review!

You're welcome.

I love Chinese food.

They serve Leo 80, Singha 90, and Heineken beer (?).

Water is only 15.

The food prices are all posted in the OP.

They have a mango shake.

Mango pudding, a classic Chinese dessert for dim sum is served.

Some additional comments.

I am not into sweet and sour dishes but I know many westerners are.

As you can see they have a range of such dishes.

I am sure they are done Chinese style not Thai style.

I'd like to hear how people like these dishes ... whether they meet your hopes of Chinese sweet and sour dishes from a western perspective.

Also I do know westerners are often looking for fried noodles or chow mein.

Notice on the menu I posted there are no fried noodle dishes.

HOWEVER, on their old menu, they do offer this:

Fried Noodle Hong Style 85 baht

I think that means you can still order that dish

post-37101-0-67143600-1411598165_thumb.j

Note -- this is their old menu though

Also as many know with English translations of Chinese dishes, unless it is a famous dish like Mapo tofu sometimes it is kind of hard to know exactly what you'll be getting. So I hope I've helped with the pictures and of course it's a good idea to ask the waitress for confirmation.

I should also add. This is not a large restaurant. While I doubt this thread is going to encourage a flood of people to instantly show up there, any kind of unexpected increase in trade could cause issues at any restaurant, especially a small and new one. During my visits they have had almost everything I ordered ... one time they were out of Xialangbao.

Even though whole fish is on the menu, I don't think they sell much of it, so it would be interesting to see if they have it ready to go.

Interestingly I was told so far their customer base is about 60 percent westerners and the rest Chinese people with not many Thais or Russians.

As far as Thai partners liking the food, they do NOT have a Thai food menu.

In any case, I don't think very many people know about this place yet, it being so new.

Edited by Jingthing

I have been here twice.

Just about 50 meters or so from the beach so easy access for Baht Bus riders.

Watching the guy pull the noodles is worth the price of the dish. Very entertaining.

I ordered gyoza the other day and they made them on the spot. Not the frozen kind served at 99% of the other places. Good.

Also, I didn't detect heavy use of MSG like I do at Shanghai.

If only I was 21 I'd be trying to marry the waitress here. So nice.

• Like 1

Great report JT; I'll be making the long baht bus trip down there soon. Like to try the stuffed pork in hot pepper, but am not that fond of extra spicy food. Would it be too spicy hot for a tender tongue?

The spicy part of that dish is the peppers themselves, not the stuffing or light clear red sauce. I had the dish once so far and the peppers were fairly hot but I think probably palatable for most. For the Sechuan style dishes they won't be served extra pepper hot UNLESS you ask for that.

Also note what they call Say Chuan Soup will probably be recognizable as Hot and Sour soup by westerners. However, I didn't really detect a vinegar flavor in the soup as I would hope for and expect. It is still a pleasant soup, their version, with some unusual additions like chunks of tomato.

I had thought their Cucumber Soup might actually be WInter Melon soup but I was told it really is made with regular cucumber. I haven't tried it yet. It sounds a bit boring but you can really never tell with English labels at Chinese restaurants.

Another great feature of this place is the price and portion structure.

Some Chinese restaurants price and portion based on "Family Style" but this place mostly is doing medium portions at reasonable prices so you don't have to spend a lot of money to sample multiple dishes.

As you can see with the fried rice they have two sizes so with that you can order a big family style portion if you want.

I was surprised at the portion size for the soup, larger than I expected.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Thanks goes out to Jingting for an excellent review. For the record, I have lived in both northern and southern China, but I am a fan of American-Chinese food and real Chinese food that resembles American-Chinese food. Initially, I was reluctant to try the food at Ta Hai. Having said that, I have to say Ta Hai now has me "hooked" on whatever version of Chinese food it is serving. I have eaten at Ta Hai three times; each time was excellent. Thus far, I have eaten three dishes: Sechuan noodles (very good); fried potato (shredded potato) in chili sauce (excellent); and fried egg bean (eggplant) with pork in soya sauce (wonderful dish). I am looking forward to trying Maybo tofu (never had it before), Sechuan soup, and stuffed pork in hot peppers. I also want to try their sweet and sour shrimp (they also have sweet and sour chicken). For pictures of these dishes, see Jingting's earlier post (#2, I think).

• Like 1

I know there are many people looking for "western" style Chinese food and there are a few restaurants in town trying to fill that niche need. Tai Hai certainly wasn't created with that intention BUT I am certain there are probably SOME dishes there that would probably well please many people in that category. No, there is no lemon chicken, egg foo young, or BBQ spare ribs, etc. but there are:

-- a whole range of sweet and sour dishes (the meat items are coated and fried)

-- dim sum items included spring rolls (egg rolls/pancake rolls) and fried pork dumplings (pot stickers)

-- noodle soups with meat choices (close enough)

-- fried pork w/ choy in soy sauce / string beans in soy sauce (close enough)

-- fried rice!

Of course I wouldn't suggest limiting orders to the above, but up2u.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Thank you, gusG.

I want to focus on one particular dish.

On the menu it is called Egg bean french fried.

post-37101-0-11829300-1411715463_thumb.j

But it's eggplant actually.

It's eggplant deep fried til crispy.

Eggplant french fries.

But it is NOT greasy and the sticks are coated in a kind of thick sugary syrup.

I bet it's not what people expect at any kind of Chinese restaurant and I'm sure it's the only place in town that has it.

Honestly I avoid foods like this (deep fried and very sweet) BUT I did order the dish one time thinking it was a savory dish so of course I had to try it.

It was very very delicious and the crispy texture done with eggplant is really worth experiencing!

I would say a must order if you're bringing children and you don't mind feeding them something like CANDY.

Edited by Jingthing

If someone orders one of the sweet and sour dishes there can you please comment on how you liked it and better yet, show us a picture? Like I said I won't order that but I know many westerners are looking for good versions of Chinese style sweet and sour dishes (as opposed to the very different Thai versions).

Pity, if it was real authentic Chinese food we would soon see the end of the Soi Dog problem. tongue.png

That kind of meat is not on their published menu.

Which brings up another issue to me.

I see they have some salt and pepper dishes (chicken and pork).

But that dish is really best with squid and shrimp in shell.

Too bad they aren't doing that.

Oh well!

Pity, if it was real authentic Chinese food we would soon see the end of the Soi Dog problem. tongue.png

That kind of meat is not on their published menu.

Which brings up another issue to me.

I see they have some salt and pepper dishes (chicken and pork).

But that dish is really best with squid and shrimp in shell.

Too bad they aren't doing that.

Oh well!

Like many other well done you.

Just one thing you might suggest that they add some things that are missing as you have said prawns squid and the main thing Duck maybe roasted with 5 spice??? duck noodle soup now there's a thing. I always have at least 1 duck dish whenever I eat Chinese. I don't live in Pattaya but do visit so I will give it a try next time. Those egg plant chips look interesting.

Once again many thanks.

I think their issue is that they are quite a small restaurant and their menu is already fairly ample in choices. Buying in fresh seafood is an expense they might not be able to justify with enough sales. As I mentioned before, I wonder if they are selling the whole fish on their menu as the price point is (understandably) much higher than their other items.

Yeah, who doesn't like duck?

Shanghai also (a bigger restaurant with clearly much more staff) doesn't do duck either.

In general, I would rather a place focus on their strengths rather than try to do too much.

The options in Pattaya for Chinese food (outside expensive hotel restaurants) are of course limited. In a normal big city with tons of choices of Chinese, there would no need to expect that any one small place do EVERYTHING. You'd go one place for duck, another place for something else.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Authentic Chinese food , the likes of which you'll buy in Wuhan, Changsha and everywhere else in China is shit to be fair

You've got pictures?

It is true there are a lot of foodstuffs typical in authentic Chinese food that most westerners aren't particularly attracted to.

Like chicken feet, duck tongues, and the like.

You could say that about more hard core Thai food as well.

In Chinese food, TEXTURE is more important than western food.

For example, gristle.

Also "authentic" Chinese food is quite often VERY OILY.

At Tai Hai I think there are only a very few dishes that would be a problem for most westerners.

Perhaps the cool pork salad as I've mentioned because of the fat content.

Edited by Jingthing