just seen my first mongoose,!

pigeonjake

was driving to wangnamyen,

saw this thing crossing the road, said to mac, whats that?

she said, thing that like to fight snake, i dont know english,

so i said mongoose,,

yes she said,

i didnt know they were here,

has anyone else seen them in the wild??

jake

• Like 1

I would love to see one.. You are a lucky fella :)

I did suspect one was stealing my duck eggs, when I originally started keeping ducks. Then 2 ducks a night started vanishing and I can only presume it was a python.

Since then my duck/goose/turkey/chicken/guinea fowl house making skills have developed into Alcatraz level buildings !!

• Like 1

hi carlos,,

i couldnt believe it too,

i didnt know they were here, but my wife says theres plenty round here, but in the rice fields,

i also thought i saw a rabbit last year, come running out some casava, and 2 thais also said it was a rabbit, but i havnt seen one since

We've seen them in the fields near our house and I see them often out on mountain bike jaunts. Two years ago, ran into two young ones that let me get quite close before mom arrived on the scene. Snakes are their main diet.

• Like 1

hi carlos,,

i didnt know they were here, but my wife says theres plenty round here, but in the rice fields,

i also thought i saw a rabbit last year, come running out some casava, and 2 thais also said it was a rabbit, but i havnt seen one since

As for rabbits, pigeonjake, we have one that lives on our farm. Wife calls it a rabbit but in my estimation, its a hare. It is larger than the average wild rabbit, and lives amongst the vegetation not in a hole. It has given me a hell of a fright a number of times when it has suddenly bolted because I nearly stepped on it! biggrin.png

• Like 1

If I'm right without looking at the translation above, Thai's call them "nangpon". I've seen many of them mainly crossing the road. Also the much smaller version "gtai noy" which is very common. Thais also eat them if they can catch them. I've also seen rabbit a very large eared version which the

dogs obviously chase but don't catch. There is also a small deer which I've seen the droppings of

but not the creature itself.

ill bet there are many things we havent seen, if we open our eyes more, and take a bit more notice,

im not to sure about going in the jungle though,,lol

there are wild elephants just 40 or so klicks up the road, we have many national parks round us, i bet there is some great sights in there,

we have many beautiful birds come into our farm

ive got 2 nests at the moment in bannanas, yes in the hands of bannanas, i would think the thais would just cut the bannanas down as they would want to eat them, but im not to botherd the nest can stay were it is, i dont need the bannanas that bad,

post-32351-0-59453600-1412466009_thumb.j

ill bet there are many things we havent seen, if we open our eyes more, and take a bit more notice,

im not to sure about going in the jungle though,,lol

there are wild elephants just 40 or so klicks up the road, we have many national parks round us, i bet there is some great sights in there,

we have many beautiful birds come into our farm

ive got 2 nests at the moment in bannanas, yes in the hands of bannanas, i would think the thais would just cut the bannanas down as they would want to eat them, but im not to botherd the nest can stay were it is, i dont need the bannanas that bad,

I mountain bike in the jungle several times a week and in 8 years, have not seen anything that scares me. Found leopard scat a few times, saw two snakes in the last year, honey badgers often, and run into a lot of hill tribe gatherers. Bird life in the jungle can only be described as intense in some seasons.

Regarding those bananas, I had a mouse jump on my shoulder a few weeks ago when I was checking out our bananas coming in. He had made a nice nest in there. Scared the wee out of me, that sleeekit cow'rin tim'rous beastie!

• Like 1

T-Dog... Honey badger here?

That's cool... I have only ever seen them in Africa.

Vicious bu@@ers smile.png

Have run across several badgers and wolverines in the USA but the Thai Badger's here are small and slow. Normally they waddle up the trail to get away and don't show any aggressive tendency. Either that, or I haven't met the right one yet! Have yet to see a civet cat in the wild although we have seen dozens in captivity in the mountain coffee processing shops. A sad thing to see and they are trapped off the very trails I like to ride.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi carlos,,

sadly we had one in our garden how it got there we dont know,we have a 6ft wall all the way round and what i read about them they are not good climbers.the sad part our dog had him but not before the furry one bit him on the nose,

then [posted?] i saw another one on waste ground at the back of us.

looked them up they were the java mongoos.