Expats complaining about about other expats that dont have proper visas.

thai20144

Nothing to do with illegality and everything to do with some people desperate to feel special/privileged/elitist in SOME way at least after a life of crushing mediocrity.

For them, something as mundane and ordinary as having a visa based on retirement, marriage or work is a towering achievement that serves to elevate them to rock star status among the trouts at the local beer bar.

Woe betide you if you're legal and under 45

Seriously, they deserve our pity, not our scorn

Legal and under 45, thanks for the endorsement.

• Like 1

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people working on Tourist visas etc.

Since I am working legally here, including paying taxes, and paying a lot of money for that, I do mind others working on tourist visa and not having those expenses. That is really unfair competition.

I've been working for the past year on a tourist visa and paying taxes and let's be real about it tax ain't a huge percent of your salary in Thailand

Are you sure?

With a friend like you......who needs enemies ?

A guy might be living and working in Thailand illegally, but chances are he's supporting (or supporting in part) a Thai family. Some criminals (eg, boiler room bosses) support a vast network of parasites and hangers on.

Depriving Thais of this support is a recipe for trouble.

It's best to turn a blind eye and keep your mouth shut.

If you can't accept the presence of foreign criminals in Thailand, go somewhere else.

So by your logic all the illegal aliens or those attempting to illegally enter the US, Europe and Australia just need to be married to an American or European or Australian and the people & governments of those countries should be overwhelmed with gratitude that these people are earning money in those countries and giving SOME of it over to support a family ...and the authorities should just leave the illegals alone?

If someone is married to a Thai and has pretty minimal income to provide the support you're talking about, he can stay in the country with a marriage extension. If he can't be bothered to get married or he isn't managing Baht 40,000 a month in income, then his magnificent contribution to the nation is probably not going to be missed.

Since I am working legally here, including paying taxes, and paying a lot of money for that, I do mind others working on tourist visa and not having those expenses. That is really unfair competition.

And also when there is wide-spread abuse of the existing system and circumvention of the rules, the understandable reaction of Immigrations is to make the rules tougher for everyone. So the rule-breakers (many of whom boasted on Thai Visa how they ignored the rules for years) don't just cause problems for themselves. They make things more difficult for those us who have been abiding by the rules.

In some respects I blame the authorities for enabling this abuse, they really should start enforcing really tough consequences, I know thay tabled banning from Thailand for various lengths of time, which is a good step, but the fines imposed are too low and should be significantly increased, THB 20k maximum fine is a joke, its just the cost of decent meal and night out, further locking the abusers and overstayers up in the IDC for various lengths of time before deporting them, would stop repeat offenders if they havent been banned for 10 years of course.

• Like 1

And also when there is wide-spread abuse of the existing system and circumvention of the rules, the understandable reaction of Immigrations is to make the rules tougher for everyone. So the rule-breakers (many of whom boasted on Thai Visa how they ignored the rules for years) don't just cause problems for themselves. They make things more difficult for those us who have been abiding by the rules.

In some respects I blame the authorities for enabling this abuse, they really should start enforcing really tough consequences, I know thay tabled banning from Thailand for various lengths of time, which is a good step, but the fines imposed are too low and should be significantly increased, THB 20k maximum fine is a joke, its just the cost of decent meal and night out, further locking the abusers and overstayers up in the IDC for various lengths of time before deporting them, would stop repeat offenders if they havent been banned for 10 years of course.

The cost of .......and night out. Your FIL must be quite big by the reads of it.....lucky man.

A guy might be living and working in Thailand illegally, but chances are he's supporting (or supporting in part) a Thai family. Some criminals (eg, boiler room bosses) support a vast network of parasites and hangers on.

Depriving Thais of this support is a recipe for trouble.

It's best to turn a blind eye and keep your mouth shut.

If you can't accept the presence of foreign criminals in Thailand, go somewhere else.

If someone is married to a Thai and has pretty minimal income to provide the support you're talking about, he can stay in the country with a marriage extension. If he can't be bothered to get married or he isn't managing Baht 40,000 a month in income, then his magnificent contribution to the nation is probably not going to be missed.

No, you've misunderstood.

My point is that it's best not to worry about (or get involved with) people working illegally in Thailand.

Grassing on them can be especially dangerous if they're involved with criminal activities, such as boiler rooms. I read recently that one boiler room boss (a westerner) is protected by a former Prime Minister. Organized crime can generate serious cash.

IMO, it's best to keep your mouth shut and accept the status quo.

Understanding Thai culture and appreciating the difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law helps a lot.

• Like 2

I've been working for the past year on a tourist visa and paying taxes and let's be real about it tax ain't a huge percent of your salary in Thailand

I never thought you could register to pay tax with the authorities whilst working illegally on a tourist visa and I don't believe you can!!!

In some respects I blame the authorities for enabling this abuse

If you don't like it here, just go. Seriously, pack your gear and bugger off.

No one will even notice you've gone.

Hello Dave, new name same attitude ☺

I think this is the second or third time you've called me Dave. Why do you do that?

If it's of any interest, my name is BRIAN.

So who are you -- Soutpeel's little errand boy?

• Like 1

MrToad, nobody likes a grasser.

I agree on that, it is the authorities job to deal with stuff.

So, your point is?

I think this is the second or third time you've called me Dave. Why do you do that?

If it's of any interest, my name is BRIAN.

So who are you -- Soutpeel's little errand boy?

Good evening Brian.

Good evening Brian.

Good evening to you, too.

My previous post was supposed to show a YouTube Video:

How do you embed videos?

Are you using a tablet, or a notebook?

My notebook embeds without needing to do anything. Tablet doesn't.

And no, I am no ones errand boy.

Good evening Brian.

Good evening to you, too.

My previous post was supposed to show a YouTube Video:

How do you embed videos?

Are you using a tablet, or a notebook?

My notebook embeds without needing to do anything. Tablet doesn't.

And no, I am no ones errand boy.

Thanks. The video works.

I'm actually a Digital Nomad -- I'm posting from the Sahara Desert.

Internet is really crap tonight.

I guess that's why I can't post videos.

I don't like the fact that illegal aliens are beseiging my home country - although there's more going on there than the headlines/media tells.....and it's not good....

The laws are there for a reason - to protect Thailand....why should we claim "ownership" over our host country just because we want to? Disobeying the law along the way......

That was a party political broadcast by the UKIP representative for Nakhon Nowhere who happens to be an immigrant himself.

Those "laws" haven't protected Thailand though, have they?

There are foreigners running scams and engaging in illegal activities with the assistance and collusion of people at or near the top of the very power structures that are charged with enforcing those laws.

Visa runners were never, EVER breaking the law.

They were taking advantage of the system with the full cooperation of the Thai Immigration department.

agree with stevenl

also, when we consider visa types, I'd take some risk (very little in fact) and say that most scammers, thieves, fraudsters, etc. who stay in Thailand long term are often also abusing their visa terms.

I have friends staying on ED visas, so all are not bad, but there is a mass of "others"... let's face it, they typically are dropouts in their home countries and have little cash in Thailand, and when whatever little they have runs out, many are ready to do ANYTHING in get their hands on money... Not really "quality expats".

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I tend to agree. Since when do we get the option to choose which laws we obey ??? And please don't respond that Thais break laws all the time; if it bothers you that much, then don't come here. I'm not sure I would turn someone in if I knew they were working here illegally, but I sure would give them an earful. Reminder: we are all guests in this country. Further, if this visa situation had not gotten so out of hand with farang flouting it so widely and blithely, this discussion in all likelihood would not be taking place.

agree with stevenl

also, when we consider visa types, I'd take some risk (very little in fact) and say that most scammers, thieves, fraudsters, etc. who stay in Thailand long term are often also abusing their visa terms.

I have friends staying on ED visas, so all are not bad, but there is a mass of "others"... let's face it, they typically are dropouts in their home countries and have little cash in Thailand, and when whatever little they have runs out, many are ready to do ANYTHING in get their hands on money... Not really "quality expats".

Have you reread your above comment ?

I needed to read it 3 times before it sank in......

Them....them.....them.......(not my friends)

Quality expats.....haha....but i guess your post must be a wind up......if not.....good luck for you.

agree with stevenl

Have you reread your above comment ?

I needed to read it 3 times before it sank in......

Them....them.....them.......(not my friends)

Quality expats.....haha....but i guess your post must be a wind up......if not.....good luck for you.

I don't understand your comment.

My point is that many people staying on dodgy visas or abusing their visa terms are likely to eb or become criminals when their money runs out...

what have you been trying to say?

• Like 2

They are just bitter, living mentally in-between expat bubble world, stuck between two different cultures. Many of them have burned bridges with their families and friends back at home country. They have that literal law&order weird attitude which is not very compatible with the Thai culture.

It is very ironic because they do not know a thing how Thais themselves use laws. It crime matters it almost always involves a large family negotiating with either the police or with the other family and money exchanging hands. Many times the police is not even involved and families settle things by themselves.

You either do not live here or you have not lived here for long enough to know how Thais work with the law.

You should learn at least the basics of your subject matter befrore proffessing to be an expert.

MrToad, nobody likes a grasser.

What an idiotic statement.

So if someone has witnessed a murder of a child they should keep their mouth shut because nobody likes a grasser.

I guess if someone is earning 25-30k/m the tax cant be a huge portion of someones salary cos it aint a huge salary to begin with, so maybe thats were the poster is coming from with his premise..

CH's tax bill with THB 4.0/m salary must be massive...

Soutie, the 4 million baht is not CH's annual salary, according to Rolf himself that is his monthly salary, which means that he earns around 48 million Baht each year.

Given that Rolf is very intelligent he will doubt be legal and paying his full tax stamp on these earnings.

Just to put Rolf's earning into perspective, He earns more than the Prime Minister of Thailand.

http://pattaya-times.com/a7117-monthly-thai-salaries-for-various-occupations-revealed

• Like 1

Visa runners were never, EVER breaking the law.

They were taking advantage of the system with the full cooperation of the Thai Immigration department.

I think you will find the highest number of overstayers fall into the "visa runner" catagory

ergo....they have been breaking the law's as well...wink.png

• Like 2