3BB waiting for them to turn it on?

ryanhull

Hey All,

I just signed up to 3BB internet... they gave me the rooter/modem which I have wired up and all seems to be on fine.

The light on the rooter does not show 'internet' yet as I am told they will switch it on tomorrow. I can see my WiFi network however when I connect to it I just cannot go on the internet, I assume its just a local wireless network not connected to the internet currently.... anyone know what they actually have to do to switch it on? also I am assuming tomorrow the internet light will just turn on when they have done whatever they need to do, or do I need to reset it?

I am wondering if they need to do anything or it will just automatically come active in which case I am wondering if it will turn on at around 12 tonight?

Anyone had any experience signing up to 3BB, how long did you have to wait and did it just become active?

Thanks

When I (actually the misses) applied, we went for some shopping and after we got home about 2 hours later, the security guard called and 3BB had arrived.

But when we applied the girl said, they will connect us within 7 days.

Just leave your modem on, and see what happens it should be automatic.

Hey mate, yeah they have been here today and installed the line plus gave us a rooter/wifi hub... all is wired up (nothing needed installing on the pc) and it all seems to be online except no internet, so you think it will just become active if i wait?

Cheers

Turn everything off, wait a minute or two, then turn it all back on again. My Sophon service was down most of the day and only just came back on. Could be that 3BB were having the same issues and, if they are also back up now, running a re-boot like this can help.

They will send an engineer out who will connect a cable just like a phone line (depending on the service you subscribed to) which will then connect to the phone socket inside your house.

Until this cable is connected you won't get anything.

You can see the wifi network because that is turned on, you can probably connect to it with your devices but without the cable being connected the connection won't go any further than the router.

Sometimes they will return a few months later and disconnect your cable for no apparent reason, I have found this occasionally coincides with one of your neighbours getting 3BB installed - I suspect they do it deliberately although I'm not sure why, it's not like I'm not going to notice. This has happened a couple of times to me.

Someone spotted the 3BB guy meddling with the cables my place once, he disconnected my internet and gave it to someone else. I called them up and got them to come striaght back out and reconnect me.

Hey, its already connected to the line and the engineer fitted the cables etc I'm just wondering if it will actually start working, they've said tomorrow but im kind of wondering what they will actually do tomorrow and what's stopping it connecting now? Anyhow I'll try turning it off and on again tonight, cheers

There should be three LEDs near the left-hand side of the router: power, DSL and internet.

If the middle one is on and the right-hand one is off then all is fine and you just have to wait for them to activate your account. When your account is active the right-hand one (internet) will light up and you will have lift-off. If the middle one (DSL) is pulsing regularly then you have a problem and should call them.

Do NOT reset the router as it comes pre-configured with your login details.

• Like 2

Thanks that makes sense and yes its only the internet light not on, guess I'll have to stop being an impatient **** and wait, thanks for the replies all

You could always check (if impatient ;)) if the settings in the router they gave you are a match with the piece of paper they gave you when you applied, but else wait till tomorrow and see what happens.

Good luck

I see, I do have that info when I visit the IP on my browser ( its auto filled in) I guess I should wait before calling them and give them the benefit of the doubt... I do not see why they couldn't have switched us on today really as I assume they just hit one button, cheers

Phone 1530....press 9 for English..........smile.png They are good....

Thanks Trans, I never needed to call them as I never had a problem with them (yet) so I don't know the number, but I know the number and the shortcut codes for TOT by heart ;)

I see, I do have that info when I visit the IP on my browser ( its auto filled in) I guess I should wait before calling them and give them the benefit of the doubt... I do not see why they couldn't have switched us on today really as I assume they just hit one button, cheers

Just wait.

Hey, its already connected to the line and the engineer fitted the cables etc I'm just wondering if it will actually start working, they've said tomorrow but im kind of wondering what they will actually do tomorrow and what's stopping it connecting now? Anyhow I'll try turning it off and on again tonight, cheers

3BB needs to complete the wiring on their end (commonly known as the Central Office or Telephone Exchange).

The wire coming in from your location is identified and then 'jumpered' to a filter/splitter module that separates the low analog phone frequencies from the high and higher digital frequencies. The digital side is then connected into an assigned DSLAM customer port and an engineer then enters provisioning data that tells the DSLAM port what rate and protocols to use for basic data transmission and the subscriber authentication info required to allow traffic to be passed to upstream ATM Routers and Switches then onto the Internet.

It's a little more complicated than just plugging in a wire for them.

Or is it? A lot of these steps are automated and the 'technicians' are not 'engineers'. Though I have found some are much brighter than others.

So, just leave in on and plugged in. When they finalize the connection and provisioning your adsl2+ router should handshake, authenticate and connect (and the Internet Light will glow steady).

At this point all you will need to do is disconnect and reconnect your Internet Devices so the router can provide your connecting devices requesting automatic connection (via DHCP) with updated/accurate DNS addresses to properly find things on the Internet.

Edited by RichCor

3BB needs to complete the wiring on their end ....

The wiring is all done as witnessed by the fact that his modem has synced (DSL LED fixed). If the wiring had not been done then the DSL LED would be pulsing (attempting to sync) or not lit at all (no carrier).

But his account has not yet been activated so his login is not working (internet LED not lit). As soon as his account is active it will work.

I also have 3bb, if I buy a new router/dsl modem do I have to configure it or will the wifi and the connection and everything work straight away?

I believe you need to configure it to connect, they will tell you what to do though from what I understand or you can copy information from your old router over to the new one.

The router that comes with it sucks but I still use it.

I also have 3bb, if I buy a new router/dsl modem do I have to configure it or will the wifi and the connection and everything work straight away?

I believe you need to configure it to connect, they will tell you what to do though from what I understand or you can copy information from your old router over to the new one.

The router that comes with it sucks but I still use it.

Yes its extremely bad, the wifi signal is atrocious. I have been using it for more than 2 years, never gotten around to getting a new one, but now I want to use the wifi upstairs.

So if I bring the papers maybe the people in the shop where I decide to buy the router can help me? Have never configured a router before. Thank you.

You will need to enter your 3BB connection details (login, password, to be found on your subscription letter) in the new modem/router in order to connect to the internet and the modem part will also need to be set to the correct ADSL parameters, though there may be a setup wizard for this. The ethernet ports on the new modem/router will work out of the box but depending on the model/brand the wifi may be turned off or not secure.

You often are not able to do the initial configuration of a new router via wifi anyway, for security reasons. So you will probably need a cable at first. The new router instructions will explain all this and you should follow them carefully.

As far as I know 3BB will come out and configure your new router, but there may be a charge.

The 3BB modem/router (at least the model I have) is actually quite good quality so if you only want to increase your wifi coverage you may want to consider just getting an access point or a wifi extender or some Powerline units or some combination of those.

Another option could be to keep the existing 3BB modem/router and get a new router without modem, then put the old one into bridge mode and turn off its wifi (ie use the old router as a modem for the new router). This works very well though it does require some knowledge to set up correctly. This is how I use mine. It also has the advantage that if the cheap 3BB modem/router gets fried by lightning on the phone line my expensive router should remain unharmed (with any luck).

You will need to enter your 3BB connection details (login, password, to be found on your subscription letter) in the new modem/router in order to connect to the internet and the modem part will also need to be set to the correct ADSL parameters, though there may be a setup wizard for this. The ethernet ports on the new modem/router will work out of the box but depending on the model/brand the wifi may be turned off or not secure.

You often are not able to do the initial configuration of a new router via wifi anyway, for security reasons. So you will probably need a cable at first. The new router instructions will explain all this and you should follow them carefully.

As far as I know 3BB will come out and configure your new router, but there may be a charge.

The 3BB modem/router (at least the model I have) is actually quite good quality so if you only want to increase your wifi coverage you may want to consider just getting an access point or a wifi extender or some Powerline units or some combination of those.

Another option could be to keep the existing 3BB modem/router and get a new router without modem, then put the old one into bridge mode and turn off its wifi (ie use the old router as a modem for the new router). This works very well though it does require some knowledge to set up correctly. This is how I use mine. It also has the advantage that if the cheap 3BB modem/router gets fried by lightning on the phone line my expensive router should remain unharmed (with any luck).

Thank you!

... maybe userid and pwd in router not correctly set (but that's just guessing)

I wonder whether someone enters that info manually into the router or whether they just flash it with a computer-generated configuration file?

It's easy to make mistakes with those long random passwords and logins.

• Like 1

From what I got off the phone call to them they havent wired it up correctly, but yes very odd given the lights are on... bloody annoying as I just want to get online properly, I have had a mess around with true and tot so far and was hoping 3bb would be more straight forward :(