Anyone know what this is

Bucko

I'm no expert, but the leaves are different. The calabash leaves appear much more pointed and thinner. The OP's photo shows more rounded, thick, waxy leaves - typical citrus.

The fruit shapes are also different. The OP's is longer than it is wide; the calabash fruit is wider than it's long. Furthermore, the OP's fruit is on an obvious stalk; the calabash fruit isn't - it's close to the branch.

My vote is for pomelo.

The reason I say that I don't think it is edible-is that have passed there at various times of the year-when the " fruit " ? is on the tree or fresh on the ground--never seen the local people take them--just leave them to rot .

Edited by Bucko

In Thai its called ต้นตีนเป็ด (dtohn dteen bpet), Cerbera odollam,

From wikipedia: commonly known as the Suicide tree, Pong-pong, and Othalanga, is a species of tree native to India and other parts of Southern Asia. It grows preferentially in coastal salt swamps and in marshy areas

• Like 1

In Thai its called ต้นตีนเป็ด (dtohn dteen bpet), Cerbera odollam,

From wikipedia: commonly known as the Suicide tree, Pong-pong, and Othalanga, is a species of tree native to India and other parts of Southern Asia. It grows preferentially in coastal salt swamps and in marshy areas

I think you win, looks spot on

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...