ATM Cards

Greetings all. Can anyone here settle a little gentle banter between me and the missus. She , I admit normally comes out the winner in things Thai but I was wondering.

I know if you use your BKK ATM card to withdraw some money from say an SCB bank you incur a small charge, 10 baht i think. If you only though use the card in another banks ATM to check your balance this is free ? Wifey says still 10 baht

Over to you more knowledgeable folks biggrin.png

Cheers

ATM Services

Items

Fees

Cash withdrawal or balance enquiry using a card linked to an account opened at a Bangkok Bank branch within Bangkok Metropolitan area
  • Intra-region Bangkok Bank ATM cash withdrawal or balance enquiry
Free
  • Inter-region Bangkok Bank ATM cash withdrawal
15Bt per transaction
  • Inter-region National ATM Pool cash withdrawal
20Bt per transaction
  • Intra-region National ATM Pool cash withdrawal
    or balance enquiry
Free for the first four transactions
each month, then 10Bt from the
5th transaction Cash withdrawal or balance enquiry using a card linked to an account opened at a Bangkok Bank branch outside Bangkok Metropolitan area
  • Cash withdrawal or balance enquiry using a Bangkok Bank ATM located within the same province where the account is held
Free
  • Inter-province Bangkok Bank ATM cash withdrawal
15Bt per transaction
  • Cash withdrawal across provinces using a National ATM Pool
20Bt per transaction
  • Intra-region cash withdrawal or balance enquiry using a National ATM Pool
Free for the first four transactions
each month, then 10Bt from the
5th transaction

Bank of BKK recently started issuing cards with a security chip, which means you can only use at a BKK bank machine... which can be a pain when traveling ... so it will depend if you have the old card or new one! 20 baht charge, when used out of province... but still at BKK bank machine. When I by mistake used my card at another machine it was rejected.

Not sure what happens now, if one goes to say, to Malaysia or somewhere... with old type card it was not a problem.

Edited by samuijimmy

The ATM just needs to be EMV-complaint...right now in Thailand, Bangkok Bank is the only ATM with the feature although the Bank of Thailand is pushing (i.e., begging) other Thai banks to implement.

Here's the Bangkok Bank webpage that talks their Be1st EMV card which has been out of several years.

Here's a website that gives some good Q&A type info regarding EMV cards...a cut and paste of one Q&A below which talks number of EMV cards in use in late 2012 and adoption around the world. The European region seems to be leading the EMV switch charge; the U.S. is bringing up the rear.

Where has EMV been adopted?

Eighty countries globally are in various stages of EMV chip migration, including Canada and countries in Europe, Latin America and Asia. According to EMVCo, there were 1.62 billion EMV-compliant payment cards in use across the globe in Q4 2012. In parts of Europe, 95 percent of terminals were chip-enabled, compared to 79 percent in Canada, Latin America and the Caribbean, 77 percent in Africa and the Middle East, and 51 percent in Asia Pacific.

The United States is one of the last countries to migrate to EMV. American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa have all announced their plans for moving to an EMV-based payments infrastructure in the U.S.