Most people happy with the junta

Lite Beer

What I find very telling is that the people arguing that Thais feel satisfied with the Junta performance are basing it on their interaction with actual Thai people.

I know a ton of people who hate the junta but so what? It's hardly scientific is it? You seek out people who are like-minded so it ought not to come as a great shock that the people you talk to tend to think in broadly similar ways as you. What else would you expect? Plus, of course, you have the absurdity of people saying "Speaking to a few of my staff..." and thinking that this tells you something substantial. Oh, so in a massively hierarchical society, employees tell the boss what the boss wants to hear. Blimey. Whatever next? That's why you have polls, though not ones conducted under martial law and by organizations with such bad reputations as those we have in Thailand (see, for example http://asiancorrespondent.com/126917/why-are-some-opinion-poll-results-so-positive-of-the-thai-junta/ and http://thaipoliticalprisoners.wordpress.com/2014/09/27/polishing-the-dictator-ii ). Given that they come up with these entirely unbelievable results, the next best thing is to look on a broad scale at what people are saying and try to get a feel from that. What's the mood on Pantip? On the blogs? On Facebook? You don't have to spend long on those places to know that this poll is just farcical.

So to the point of actually talking to actual people your comeback is to check Panthip, Facebook and blogs, where anyone can create as many "identities" as they feel like to inflate their numbers; or in the case of Facebook actually pay to get more "likes".

Even here in Thaivisa we have people that keep coming with new identities all the time, maybe you have noticed them?

And this:

You seek out people who are like-minded so it ought not to come as a great shock that the people you talk to tend to think in broadly similar ways as you

Says everything that needs to be know about your ability and or willingness (or lack of) to form opinions based on evidence and facts. You just make up whatever fits your fancy and run with it.

• Like 1

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find very telling is that the people arguing that Thais feel satisfied with the Junta performance are basing it on their interaction with actual Thai people.

I know a ton of people who hate the junta but so what? It's hardly scientific is it? You seek out people who are like-minded so it ought not to come as a great shock that the people you talk to tend to think in broadly similar ways as you. What else would you expect? Plus, of course, you have the absurdity of people saying "Speaking to a few of my staff..." and thinking that this tells you something substantial. Oh, so in a massively hierarchical society, employees tell the boss what the boss wants to hear. Blimey. Whatever next? That's why you have polls, though not ones conducted under martial law and by organizations with such bad reputations as those we have in Thailand (see, for example http://asiancorrespondent.com/126917/why-are-some-opinion-poll-results-so-positive-of-the-thai-junta/ and http://thaipoliticalprisoners.wordpress.com/2014/09/27/polishing-the-dictator-ii ). Given that they come up with these entirely unbelievable results, the next best thing is to look on a broad scale at what people are saying and try to get a feel from that. What's the mood on Pantip? On the blogs? On Facebook? You don't have to spend long on those places to know that this poll is just farcical.

Hi Zooheehock, i find it hard to understand what is absurd about giving my comments from the discussions i have had with staff, if they had said the opposite and they were dissatisfied then i would have reported that, simple. You appear to be a narrow minded individual who is unwilling to listen to opinion or comment. What is unbelievable about the poll result, would you prefer to have seen the previous government in power and things continue the way they were, what would you have done to improve the situation, what were the options ?

• Like 2

I'm not saying they are not doing a great job, only that it would be impossible to gauge from a poll like this. I don't bother to concern myself with Thai politics as I don't have a vote and my opinions are for the most part unwanted.

Just to point out, nobody has a vote, it's a military junta imposed by force.

• Like 1

Only negative thing my friends talk about is the low rice price, they don't understand that the government can't buy rice for 200% of the market price... my friends are teachers and still can't understand that Thailand is not the one setting the worldmarket price!!!

Once again, I think some people need to read this URGENT NOTICE TO MEMBERS again. Some posts have been removed.

I think that this is proof enough that the subject is not really open to discussion freely, don't you Halloween, nickymaster, whybother and Robblock?

Not knowing which posts were deleted, it is hard to tell which subject we are talking about. But even if some subjects are not open to discussion in the media, I see no reason to extrapolate that to anonymous answering of a pollster's questions, if that is what you are trying to do.

You seek out people who are like-minded so it ought not to come as a great shock that the people you talk to tend to think in broadly similar ways as you Says everything that needs to be know about your ability and or willingness (or lack of) to form opinions based on evidence and facts. You just make up whatever fits your fancy and run with it.

You've managed in one elegant move to do exactly what it is you accuse me of. Congratulations.

i find it hard to understand what is absurd about giving my comments from the discussions i have had with staff, if they had said the opposite and they were dissatisfied then i would have reported that, simple. You appear to be a narrow minded individual who is unwilling to listen to opinion or comment. What is unbelievable about the poll result, would you prefer to have seen the previous government in power and things continue the way they were, what would you have done to improve the situation, what were the options ?

My initial thought on reading this was that, given how straightforward my post was, you must be being willfully obtuse. But then I remembered that I had posted on Thaivisa.

You seek out people who are like-minded so it ought not to come as a great shock that the people you talk to tend to think in broadly similar ways as you Says everything that needs to be know about your ability and or willingness (or lack of) to form opinions based on evidence and facts. You just make up whatever fits your fancy and run with it.

You've managed in one elegant move to do exactly what it is you accuse me of. Congratulations.

i find it hard to understand what is absurd about giving my comments from the discussions i have had with staff, if they had said the opposite and they were dissatisfied then i would have reported that, simple. You appear to be a narrow minded individual who is unwilling to listen to opinion or comment. What is unbelievable about the poll result, would you prefer to have seen the previous government in power and things continue the way they were, what would you have done to improve the situation, what were the options ?

My initial thought on reading this was that, given how straightforward my post was, you must be being willfully obtuse. But then I remembered that I had posted on Thaivisa.

Straight forward post cheesy.gif please reread it yourself As for being 'obtuse' I think the ball falls squarely in your court on that one. I raised a couple of questions for you, as expected you do not have the ability to respond, most likely due to your inability to comprehend clear dialogue....coffee1.gif . Anyway lets move on, to much time wasted already on your farcical posts.

• Like 2

Look, Expat Girl, it's very simple. Those two or three short sentences were about what one would expect employees to say to their bosses and how much value ought to be put on reports of that. Now, you might think that your employees are paragons of truth-telling virtue, untouched by any concern other than a burning desire to report to you their honest, careful and considered reflections on the state of Thailand's political arrangements and perhaps you are correct in this but what was a blindingly straightforward point clearly sailed straight past you and you decided instead to respond to a totally different post (and one entirely of your own imagining) and then, for good measure, you added some points about my character which, whether or not they are correct, you could not possibly know from what I have posted here along with some gratuitous nonsense about the last government. But don't worry, I'm sure, despite that, you are a lovely person in possession of an absolutely first-class intellect. Honest.

Edited by Zooheekock

Only negative thing my friends talk about is the low rice price, they don't understand that the government can't buy rice for 200% of the market price... my friends are teachers and still can't understand that Thailand is not the one setting the worldmarket price!!!

Just to point out retail rice price is currently 500% of farmers sale price.

I have a smell area of rice paddy, haven't planted it for two years, not worth the effort.

Most farmers I know (family members and neighbours) would stop growing tomorrow, if they weren't desperate for money.

They don't have the option of selling rice direct to the consumer as the local Mafia rice mill would burn them out.

Thailand is a gang culture, and unless the army (big gang) starts breaking up the smaller gangs (that control everything), the people at the bottom of the ladder cannot prosper.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

how many junta,s have ended in happiness, most of the population dont read so cant make an informed opinion.

So a person can not form their opinion on their own personal experience and circumstance?

If you want the big picture it isn,t in the Moo Ban. I dont think I,ve ever seen a personal library in thailand. had a lot of junta experience have you,good result or bad in your opinion?

How many rural Thai moo bans and homes have you visited in your long sojourn in Thailand?

Are there more voters in the city than in rural Thailand?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am happy with the Junta and I think the General has accomplished quite alot in a short time.

Many of the complaints from TV members have been amongst those accomplishments.

Its great to have an interim PM that is actually concerned for the Country of Thailand more than his and his cronies' wallets.

I am in no way impressed with Thai poll's

That being said It was indeed a over whelming vote of confidence for the Government if accurate. Only 2% out and out against them. Which makes sense to me as that is probably the percentage of the one's who were benefiting from the corruption and are sad to see it dwindling and know it is just the start of a long process that will lose them a lot of money.

One other thing that jumped up at me and in my mind kind of lent reality to the poll was

Some 6 per cent said they were not satisfied because many social problems were still not solved

Sounds about rite for the number of illiterate people who think all the government has to do is wave a magic wand and every thing is solved in one day. Unfortunately there are Farongs who also believe in that. Thailand is not the only country with a poor education system.

I do how ever wish that they would bring in an outside polling company that is recognized as being honest and would have no stake what so ever in the out come.

Edited by northernjohn

Travelling around Thailand over last few weeks (Cities and rural, central, north and Isaan) the best thing that I have seen the Junta has done has been the removal of all the Shinawatra First Family portraits and banners. The amount of politicial brain washing of the masses that was going on with that garbage was astonishing and IMHO a direct insult to the long established and most worthy only true family in Thailand. Its a pleasure now travelling through Thailand and seeing it freed of the Shinawatra mafia family dictatorial ideology. Well done to the Junta for freeing Thailand from the Shinawatra scum.

yes absolutely no brainwashing going on now.

no sign of brainwashing on the TV every night, none whatsoever.

this is a very laissez-faire junta and everyone can make up their own minds and what's more they are allowed to speak it in public!

Great to see such an even handed coup.

Let's have more coups please!

• Like 1

I am happy with the Junta and I think the General has accomplished quite alot in a short time.

Many of the complaints from TV members have been amongst those accomplishments.

Its great to have an interim PM that is actually concerned for the Country of Thailand more than his and his cronies' wallets.

yes but the question will be: Did he accomplish enough when he ends.

I doubt it.....I see no movement to bring all the corrupt into jail. But I can't see anything here. That Ms Yingluck flies out of the country and comes back means that she isn't even worried.

You forget to recognize that the Prime Minister is rite on top of what is going on and has openly stated that there will still be a lot to do after the next elections are held.

People get to carried away with their personal wants and beliefs to listen to the man who is working towards that goal.

Are you OK with Dusit polls when they match your expectations? Or is it all Dusit polls you have a problem with?

How many times does it need to be said?

The only Poll worthy of the name is an Election. Anything else is targeted speculation.

It doesn't matter how many times it is said. It doesn't make it true. This wasn't a poll to see who would win an election. This was a poll to gauge performance.

It's a speculative poll intended to justify the military Junta, not to gauge performance. You yourself queried the mathematics of the "poll" and now you defend it. In the real world this is recognised as propaganda.

Well in a way to back up Fabby look at the election 51% of the population did not want the Shinawatra clan. Yet look what they got. so much for the results of a poll.

53.6 per cent were "quite satisfied" while 39 per cent said they are "very satisfied" - this added up to 91.6 per cent who are at least "satisfied" with the performance over the past four months

thumbsup.gif

Very impressive numbers.

Not surprising, then, that the Shin apologists are scrambling to feebly dispute and rebut.

cheesy.gif

Very impressive numbers indeed.

- 53.6% - Quite satisfied.

- 39% - Very Satisfied

(92.6, not 91.6)

- 6% - Not satisfied (social problems)

- 2% - Unsatisfied (too much power)

Total of 100.6% ... and that doesn't include all the people that say "I don't know", which is usually around 5%.

What's the difference between "not satisfied" and " unsatisfied"

And what about the people who are just dissatisfied. ?

How many were too scared to take part in this poll? Little to no point in having a poll if people are too scared to answer, clearly it will say only 1 thing.

Not sure what benefit there is in asking impossible to answer questions!

• Like 1

How many were too scared to take part in this poll? Little to no point in having a poll if people are too scared to answer, clearly it will say only 1 thing.

You can't read, or do not believe what you read?

1626 people of which 53% + approve of what is going on disagree with you.

So, about 46% who do not support the new system were not afraid to answer.....understand?

I am also pleased with the effort to get the country on a better track.

You have a remarkable lack of self awareness.

But please, by all means, do cite what evidence and facts you used to reach the conclusion, nay, the fact (since you didn't state it as an opinion), that I deliberately seek out like-people to interact with.

Dusit Poll of Rajabhat University. For some reason I'm a little concerned about the credibility of this poll.

Are you OK with Dusit polls when they match your expectations? Or is it all Dusit polls you have a problem with?

"Are you OK with Dusit polls when they match your expectations?" No.

"Or is it all Dusit polls you have a problem with?" No.

I never trust a poll conducted in a country under martial law with censorship.

Even under more benign circumstances, it's a lot easier to conduct an inaccurate, biased poll than an accurate, unbiased poll (post #16 gives an accurate illustration of one method to first determine the 'correct' poll result then design a poll to arrive at this result, but there are many others). That's why I only trust polls conducted by established companies in the business of polling; companies that have a reputation to maintain and that publish not only poll results but the poll itself, how participants were selected, and how the results were analyzed. How many polls in Thailand fit that description?

These pieces should have a little health warning at the end: "If you find this story believable, do not drive or operate machinery. If the condition continues, seek medical help. Please show your doctor this nonsense before you explain your symptoms."

Sorry, but were you referring to your posts ? If so thanks for the warning. clap2.gif

• Like 1

Dusit Poll of Rajabhat University. For some reason I'm a little concerned about the credibility of this poll.

"Are you OK with Dusit polls when they match your expectations?" No.

"Or is it all Dusit polls you have a problem with?" No.

I never trust a poll conducted in a country under martial law with censorship.

Even under more benign circumstances, it's a lot easier to conduct an inaccurate, biased poll than an accurate, unbiased poll (post #16 gives an accurate illustration of one method to first determine the 'correct' poll result then design a poll to arrive at this result, but there are many others). That's why I only trust polls conducted by established companies in the business of polling; companies that have a reputation to maintain and that publish not only poll results but the poll itself, how participants were selected, and how the results were analyzed. How many polls in Thailand fit that description?

I doubt if I ever saw a poll that went against the Shin regime when they were in power. Were polls even allowed back then ? Real polls I mean, not Shin organized polls.

How many times does it need to be said?

The only Poll worthy of the name is an Election. Anything else is targeted speculation.

It doesn't matter how many times it is said. It doesn't make it true. This wasn't a poll to see who would win an election. This was a poll to gauge performance.

It's a speculative poll intended to justify the military Junta, not to gauge performance. You yourself queried the mathematics of the "poll" and now you defend it. In the real world this is recognised as propaganda.

I question the mathematics of many of these polls. It is usually the reporting that is the issue, not the poll itself.

I'm not defending it. I haven't made any comment one way or the other on the results or the interpretation of the poll. I'm just commenting on your "there's only one poll" BS. Polls can be used for more than just elections.

• Like 2