Extension Cords and Voltage

emanphoto

Want to sell me one? ;)

Well that's good to know that they will work here!

I brought over quite a few extension cords from the USA, some 2 wire and some 3 wire, and they all work just fine here in Thailand. As Lopburi13 already mentioned, most any extension cord you might bring from the USA will be able to handle the 220 voltage found here in Thailand, and they will handle the power even better. The max current (ie amps) your cord can safely carry is determined by the size of the wire, regardless of the voltage, 120 or 220, doesnt matter. Electrical power is usually measured in Watts, and Watts = Amps x Volts. So, if your device draws 500 watts, then it needs 4.1666 amps at 120 volts but only 2.273 amps at 220 volts. There's a lot of info on this subject here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power

Do be careful of using any power strips you might have brought from the USA as many of them contain electronic devices (Typically MOVs) which will burn up when plugged into a 220 outlet.

If I send my family out to get one, I'm looking at these.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-25-ft-12-3-SJTW-Extension-Cord-with-Standard-Plug-747-123025H31/205377790
300 Volt

16/3
15 ft. 3-wire extension cord
13 Amp, 125-Volt capacity
Maximum 1,625-Watt
Insulated for 300-Volts

So frustrating to look at a website back home with 500 search results for extension cord just at Home Depot alone.

That sounds encouraging ryanmaci.

If the female end looks like the attached then there is hope. Since I don't plan to stick a round prong in there it might even last.

thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

I've never been to this store so I hope I will be pleasantly surprised for once. Due to my crappy Thai language abilities, it will be a challenge to find it as once Google translate kicks in on their location page, one list is Bang, Sukhapibal, Na, Mix Cha Lop, Suphanburi, Kanchanaburi, Salaya, Sara, Thani, Bang, Rama and I've never heard of these places nor have I any idea which one is close to me. My problem, I'll deal with it tho. :)

Thanks!

All the Thai Watsadu's have them in several different lengths, I think I paid around 170 baht for the 10 meter one my dog just chewed through. US style 3-prong male plug, with the multi-country grounded female end that always wears out with the round two-prong local stuff. Still, works fine for what you want it for, and you could always snip it and replace the female side. The whole thing is orange and pretty heavy gauge, suitable for whatever you plan on using it for. They aren't hard to find either, big displays in the electrical sections and they also hang them up around the store near power tools and such.

post-22149-0-23408300-1411914882_thumb.j

Edited by emanphoto

That sounds encouraging ryanmaci.

If the female end looks like the attached then there is hope. Since I don't plan to stick a round prong in there it might even last.

thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

I've never been to this store so I hope I will be pleasantly surprised for once. Due to my crappy Thai language abilities, it will be a challenge to find it as once Google translate kicks in on their location page, one list is Bang, Sukhapibal, Na, Mix Cha Lop, Suphanburi, Kanchanaburi, Salaya, Sara, Thani, Bang, Rama and I've never heard of these places nor have I any idea which one is close to me. My problem, I'll deal with it tho. smile.png

Thanks!

All the Thai Watsadu's have them in several different lengths, I think I paid around 170 baht for the 10 meter one my dog just chewed through. US style 3-prong male plug, with the multi-country grounded female end that always wears out with the round two-prong local stuff. Still, works fine for what you want it for, and you could always snip it and replace the female side. The whole thing is orange and pretty heavy gauge, suitable for whatever you plan on using it for. They aren't hard to find either, big displays in the electrical sections and they also hang them up around the store near power tools and such.

Unfortunately, no. The female end looks like the one in post #5. You may be able to find a replacement end that is a US 3-prong female. Try referencing the NEMA chart to help you lock down what you need.

http://www.stayonline.com/reference-nema-straight-blade.aspx

• Like 1

Thanks lopburi3, ye who has saved my posterior on many an immigration question.

I'd seen those but unfortunately they won't fit into the recessed female outlet on the power pack.

1. Power rating. Current is the deciding factor for wire sizes. When you double the voltage, like 110 to 220 (USA to Thailand), you half the current. That means you need SMALLER wire in Thailand for the same wattage lamp or other load as usa.smile.png

2. The standard USA "orange extension cords" have #14 AWG wire on the black and the white, and the better ones same for the green ground wire, or #16 for ground. THAT IS TWICE AS HEAVY AS NEEDED IN THAILAND. Some American cords, sold as heavy duty, have #12AWG wires in them; even better for Thailand. Smaller number equals larger wire. Standard stuff sold in Thailand is the metric near equivalent of #16AWG which works ok.wink.png

3. Those standard cords are double insulated with a very good exterior jacket (the orange stuff) and also insulation on all three wires inside the orange jacket. Although sold for 110VAC, that insulation is perfectly OK for 220VAC.thumbsup.gif

4. For your specialized male socket on the light's strip, you may have to buy the size you want from Amazon.com or even in Thailand for that special type of recessed male socket. sad.png

You really screwed up bah.gif by leaving your USA cords behind. They will work just fine on 220VAC. Actually, the higher voltage also allows longer runs for the same loads, too. I regularly use my USA orange cords in lengths of 150feet with small voltage drop and no overheating.

Feel of the wires to check for heating and DO NOT COIL the wire, like on the reels, because there is some tiny chance of induction heating in that coil. DO NOT USE USA STYLE METAL RING SOCKETS AND PLUGS... if either end has a metal ring around the plug/socket, it is likely that metal is connected to the green ground wire which can somehow get connected to the hot or neutral lines and your touching that metal with run 220vac through you as mine did me. I lived. xohmy.png.pagespeed.ic.shABmucp9T.png

• Like 1

....I beg to differ....I accidentally used an adaptor (Orange 3 to 2) from North America....it melted and almost caught fire...

....it only took an instant to blow my Drill Battery Charger on the wrong setting too....

...do not skimp.....and be careful....there are frequent power surges in Thailand as well....

Melting an adapter indicates really huge loads or a connection defect in the adapter. At 220VAC, your load is likely to be at 50Amps or more to get that kind of heating. Fifty amps is a very large load.

....I beg to differ....I accidentally used an adaptor (Orange 3 to 2) from North America....it melted and almost caught fire.

Without an autopsy we can't be sure what happened but American appliances pull a lot more current due to the lower mains voltage. That means extension cords must have higher gauge wire at the same power rating. I've spliced several "heavy duty" extension cords here and the wire appeared to be 24AWG or smaller.

#24AWG is too small for normal use at 220VAC;;;;;;;;;; maybe ok for short runs and very low wattage devices, 5 watts or so.

Thailand is the same power arrangement as Australia.

Your device photo shows a panel with a 4 amp fuse requirement in your device.

At 220 or 240 volt, standard or light duty lead of 1 sq mm will be ok just keep it shorter than 30 ft.(will handle 7,5 amps)

Same for 1.5 sq mm (medium duty up to 10 amps)

and 2.5 sq mm (heavy duty up to 15 amps)

Do not have equiv. in swg as we do not use that system of measurement.(except for motor winding and keeping cows in)

You just need a NEMA 5 female connector attached to any Thai three wire extension cord. My earlier link is a free postage seller and normally get China items without 1-2 weeks.

You can buy extension cords with this connector directly from US at higher prices using this link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=nema+5&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xnema+5+female&_nkw=nema+5+female&_sacat=0

• Like 1

A USA extension or power cord should be great in Thailand. Twice the voltage means half the amps to equal the same watts used by the device. Amps are what heat up wires so with half the amps your USA cord will be cool and happy. Higher voltage means a greater arcing hazard but that should not be a consideration in an extension cord. The insulation in a USA cord will handle the extra voltage no sweat. Remember E=IR and P=IE (see ohms law and power formula)

• Like 1

I think i've found what you want in hardware house today. One orange extension cord looks same as the picture and a round female 3 prong socket that you need to wire a wire to. 33.6mm diameter.

I will put a picture of them up later, if they are what you want i will mail them to you.

Standard thai fitting i guess with 125v on them. American style written on the extension cord packaging.

• Like 1

Very cool authurwait! Keep me informed.

wai2.gif

I think i've found what you want in hardware house today. One orange extension cord looks same as the picture and a round female 3 prong socket that you need to wire a wire to. 33.6mm diameter.

I will put a picture of them up later, if they are what you want i will mail them to you.

Standard thai fitting i guess with 125v on them. American style written on the extension cord packaging.

Never heard of that place. Now I feel like a fool, having ordered several heavy-duty cords from the states and paying the exorbitant shipping fees.

It's my 2 year olds favourite shop. biggrin.pngand mine.

One on the motorway going south before the horrible Laem Chabaeng junction and one somewhere around Bang Plee on the Bang Na - Tradt. Not been to that one.

http://www.hardwarehouse.co.th/

Anyway I will try to get the post done today.

• Like 1

= = = =

Melting an adapter indicates really huge loads or a connection defect in the adapter. At 220VAC, your load is likely to be at 50Amps or more to get that kind of heating. Fifty amps is a very large load.

....I beg to differ....I accidentally used an adaptor (Orange 3 to 2) from North America....it melted and almost caught fire...

....it only took an instant to blow my Drill Battery Charger on the wrong setting too....

...do not skimp.....and be careful....there are frequent power surges in Thailand as well....

= = = =

I "quickfixed" our shower new before making a proper installation. That extension cord melted itslef and twisted the adapter I used as the old outlet on the wall didnt really fit any more.

About 2 kW used out of 4 kW max load was enough to make it really soft ...

There is a reason why you should use 3x2,5 mm2 for installation. smile.png

Look in Global House, Homepro or similar semipro store for extension cords with 3x2,5 cables and check for a solid adapter that will convert your american plug to the right socket or change it to a Thai style adapter.

The usual extension cords are rated at 1A and have maybe 2x0.75 and sometimes a built in fuse and they will not work ,,,

Edited by solstan

Thanks. Fingers crossed on authurwait's cord he's sending, but since it came from here, it should be OK. Also the unit's amperage is not that high but as I mentioned, power consumption spikes after triggering the flash and the unit rushes to put back all the juice needed back into the capacitors.

At least the adapter plug you're looking for is small and "cheap" to ship. ;) Alternatively, these 2 new-to-me hardware stores, Hardware House and Global House may do the trick. I can't tell you how many times I've heard mai mee at HomePro stores when looking for everything from conventional snap-trap mousetraps to basic electrical items.

As others have mentioned you'll be fine with your US extension cords.

It's really the amperage you need to watch out for.

What I wish I'd have brought with me on my last trip to the USA was one of these;

attachicon.gifUnknown.jpeg

I haven't seen any yet in Thailand.

• 6 years later...