New Route to Surat Thani Airport ?

When I drove a few days ago from Samui to Bangkok instead of turning left to bypass Surat ( and so going on the bypass road past Tesco and then on to the road past Central to connect to the highway ) I turned right totally avoiding Surat Town and traffic , going over a new looking bridge and then via country roads ….

The road eventually came out on the main Bangkok highway near the airforce base ...

I wondered if this a new shorter route ?

• 2 weeks later...

Took the Pantip bus from Surat airport to Donsak this week, and went a totally new route I will be using in the future. The driver turned right coming out of the airport and went South on A18 (the road in front of the airport) until he got to 44, the road that goes to Krabi. He turned left and went East until he hit the 401 (the main road from Surat to Nakon Si Thamarat), turned right (East) and then turned left on 4142, the road to Donsak. All divided highway except the last part, nothing in town. From Donsak that would be go to 44, head towards Kanchanadit and Surat, then take the Krabi road until you get to A18, turn North and it goes right by the airport without going into Surat.

• Like 2

Took the Pantip bus from Surat airport to Donsak this week, and went a totally new route I will be using in the future. The driver turned right coming out of the airport and went South on A18 (the road in front of the airport) until he got to 44, the road that goes to Krabi. He turned left and went East until he hit the 401 (the main road from Surat to Nakon Si Thamarat), turned right (East) and then turned left on 4142, the road to Donsak. All divided highway except the last part, nothing in town. From Donsak that would be go to 44, head towards Kanchanadit and Surat, then take the Krabi road until you get to A18, turn North and it goes right by the airport without going into Surat.

I do that route, they are really quick roads - longer by distance but faster due to road type and traffic speed.

Watch out though for incoming traffic from people switching direction on the 44 - westbound and eastbound are separated by a big 100m wide reservation which is great and makes it feel like a motorway, but there are filters every few km that come straight in to the fast lane..

Heard a rumour that when planning the 44 they considered the possibility of putting a canal all the way through the middle from the gulf to the Andaman at some point in the future, and hence purchased land and left space with that in mind - not sure how likely that is, though they've certainly left room for one.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

Also my preferred Route bit further but quick and no traffic.