Royal Decree Sets Oct 15 Election Date

Jai Dee

This one was so bad, ‘The Nation’ even put up a window so you could comment there. Going over the line is an understatement. I would say this is right up there with The top 5 Thaksin personality highlights of his political carrier. I think we can safely call this “Death by mouth.” Lets see... he just insulted just about everyone in Bangkok. The comment “the well-educated people in Bangkok had been "deceived by bad people" to be against him.” Well I think that would include just about every Embassy in Bangkok. The comment was not limited to Thais. I am trying to think of a metaphor for this and for me not being able to come up with one is unheard of. It is simply beyond the low end of my comprehension. Every time I think he has hit bottom, I am repeatedly surprised he can actually go lower.

What was that mythical creature he was compared to, and Thaksin filed a law suit for defamation by putting him that low as to compare him to said creature. I suspect that mythical creature may want to file a law suit now for defamation for putting him so low as comparing him to Thaksin.

He is not planning on coming back to Bangkok is he?

Reality it looks like his guns are empty and has resorted to throwing stones. I said some place I suspect a 12 year old Thai student could win a debate against Thaksin.

How stupid does this guy think everyone is? I think his campaign song, should be, Stevie Wonder's "He's Mr Know it All" wake up Thailand!

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ATTACK ON CITY VOTERS

Thaksin's 'fools' lash out

Bangkokians express dismay at prime minister's 'divide-and-rule' tactics

Calling a big portion of voters virtual fools may not be the smartest thing for a political leader to do. And caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is on the receiving end of a predictable backlash after saying that Bangkokians are a gullible bunch who often fall prey to "bad" influences.

Responses ranged from outrage to dismay to "We'd rather be fools than his idea of wise guys" kind of sarcasm. One thing is for sure, for a leader accused of causing great national division and alienating that portion of the populace not supportive of his party, Thaksin has made a very bold statement going into the October 15 general election - and the Democrats can hardly believe their luck.

During his trip to Isaan, Thak-sin told villagers in Maha Sara-kham: "The problem of Thai society now is that people, especially those in Bangkok, are easily fooled by bad people. They believe ru-mours, not only villagers but also those with high education. What a pity. " The premier also noted yesterday that the enormous support from rural villagers made him consider staying on in power after the election.

Thaksin's Tuesday remark upset many city residents. Entrepreneur Pakpoom, 35, condemned the premier for his "divide and rule" tactic.

"It's very inappropriate for the country leader to say something that divides people," he said. "This is to make rural people feel bad or even hate and hold a grudge against us in Bangkok. Thaksin wanted to win sympathy from the rural folks by accusing people in Bangkok of abusing him. This is terrible."

Businesswoman Nuch, 32, was equally furious about the premier's remark. She said she was not surprised at what Thaksin said about Bangkok people because the premier has a tendency to attack anybody who disagreed with him.

"But let me tell him [Thaksin] that the education and information I have give me confidence to make an independent judgement," Nuch asserted. "Nobody can tell me what to do. The fact that I don't vote for Thai Rak Thai doesn't mean I'm a fool."

Democrat Party spokesman Ongart Klampaiboon said Thaksin's remark might have come from his own habit of fooling other people, so that now he feels Bangkokians too are easily fooled.

"If Thaksin wants support from people in Bangkok, then he should just stop doing what he has been doing for the past five years in power such as corruption, interference in independent organisations - you name it," Ongart said.

In Roi Et yesterday, Thaksin said the massive support he had received from rural people during his three-day tour of Isaan had

significantly boosted his morale and he would consider staying on in power after the election.

Some 3,000 villagers from Roi Et welcomed Thaksin when the premier visited Kud Kae village. They greeted him with blessings to win another term. Some villagers burst into tears of sympathy for the premier for having been attacked by urban political rivals in the past several months.

"The [overwhelming support from villagers] has given me a heavy heart about stepping down," Thaksin said. "In fact, to be the prime minister of Thailand - especially during my time - is exhausting. The media don't like me. My family is under a lot of pressure. The fact that my family sacrifices me to work for the country for six years is enough. I had started to think that it might be time to support somebody of a younger generation to replace me.

"But when I meet people and they encourage me to fight on, they place their hope with me - and it gives me a heavy heart. I am at a crossroads. On the one hand I want to devote myself to the country, while on the other, I know there is a group of people who are unhappy. They don't want me to be prime minister," he said.

Thaksin said he has tackled the country's problems during his six-year premiership. But some accumulated problems like poverty cannot be solved in one night, and need time to address. What's needed is determination and the faith of people to get the problem solved, he said.

"The country will return to normal after the election. Those who tried to destroy democracy will have to accept that the real power belongs to the people. So people should exercise their power by going to the ballot to show what they want," Thaksin said.

More Here:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/08/10...es_30010757.php

Is there some sort of rule that campaigning is not to start before a certain date? That is not to mention Thaksin’s comments insult people with every level of charisma. I expect some very interesting posts today.

I have always thought that the little boy who blurted out "But the Emperor has no clothes" probably received a resounding clip on the ear!!!

There is a saying: "Deal with reality. Or reality will deal with you". And taboos are very real.

Is there some sort of rule that campaigning is not to start before a certain date?

The rules are that once a Royal Decree is in effect then no campaigning may take place until after nominations for both Party-List and Constituancies have been received and endorsed by the Election Commission of Thailand. At present the Royal Decree is due to go into effect on 23rd August 2006. There is however a great deal of pressure to cancel the Royal Decree before it goes into effect, until such time as the new EC has been nominated by the Senate. This would in all probability delay the upcoming election planned for 15th October.

Suffice to say, Thaksin is his own worst enemy. What anyone has said about him pales in comparison with what he himself says.

For such a "learned" man, he comes up with remarkably unintelligent remarks.

I'm waiting for his American universities to pull him down off their websites as an alumni and disavow he ever attended them.

Reacting to the backlash from Bangkokians, one TRT MP had this to say:

"No matter how hard he works, some people still criticise him," said Mongkol Kinsunchan, a former Bangkok MP.

Thaksin's words, meant for villagers in Maha Sarakham province, which he visited while touring the Northeast yesterday, would have no effect on him or the October 15 election, he felt.

While opponents of Thaksin might be unhappy with Thaksin's comments, those who back him would pay no attention to his words, he said.

"No matter what Thaksin says, those opposed to him still attack him and won't vote for the Thai Rak Thai Party," Mongkol said.

Insulting millions of people was a bloody hard work, no shit. Ungrateful ######. Would they say "thank you" once in a while? But no worry, another former MP, Wattana Sengpairoh is confident: "I believe we will hold on to all 32 of our constituencies in the capital"

It has turned to surreal, hasn't it?

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/08/10/pol...cs_30010762.php

OK I think I am going to die here with this one. I cant wait to see what Penzman and the Bangkok Herold Examiner will do with this one.

So if the smart people wont vote for Thaksin, then the ones who will are..... :o

By the way is there one like This -> :D with soiled and wet pants?

Really John Krukowski we don't appreciate you commenting on your incontenance problems. Your lack of control of your bodily functions is something most of us do not wish to dwell on....it is difficult enough at times for us to have to deal with your lack of control of your mind.

How stupid does this guy think everyone is? I think his campaign song, should be, Stevie Wonder's "He's Mr Know it All" wake up Thailand!

Knowing how stupid people are is an important skill for all politicians. Toxin has proven that he has highly developed political skills...that's how he got where he is today....we should probably assume, then, that he is quite skilled in knowing how stupid everyone is.

PM pledges a 200-billion-baht budget for poverty eradication

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra pledges to set aside 200 billion baht of the 2007 fiscal budget for tackling poverty in 800 districts across the country.

Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin told people in Roi Et’s Art Samart (อาจสามารถ) District yesterday that Thailand would change much 10 years from now as a result of the government’s poverty eradication campaign.

He said Art Samart District alone may need 250 million baht for its war on poverty. As for the entire country, 200 billion baht of the 1.5-trillion baht budget for 2007 would be allocated to fight poverty in 800 districts.

Art Samart district was made a model of the government’s campaign against poverty. So far, 60% of problems hindering improvement of quality of life of villagers there reportedly have been solved.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 August 2006

Knowing how stupid people are is an important skill for all politicians. Toxin has proven that he has highly developed political skills...that's how he got where he is today....we should probably assume, then, that he is quite skilled in knowing how stupid everyone is.

He treated the villagers as if they are stupid, very skillfully indeed.

Having mastered stupidity he still can't judge how clever people are, as he pissed off too many of them to handle.

Edited by Plus

The Democrat Party declares its People’s Agenda

The Democrat Party makes the people the heart of its policy which seeks to build a quality economic system and a moral society.

Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva (อภิสิทธ์ เวชชาชีวะ), who declared the party’s people’s agenda yesterday, said all Democrats volunteer to help tackle crises in the country caused by mismanagement of the government.

Mr. Abhisit said the Democrat policy gives importance to the people and will listen to “the voices of the people”. He said the party planned to increase daily minimum wage by seven baht, cut electricity and cooking gas prices, reduce gasoline prices by 2.50 baht per litre, provide a 12-year free education, extend health security programme to cover more people and set up sufficiency economy fund to stimulate savings by grassroots families.

Mr. Abhisit denied the people’s agenda was a populist policy because the budget would not be wasted for nothing but was a long-term investment in human resources development.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 August 2006

THAI RAK THAI

Ex-Bangkok MPs seek to switch to the party list

Move prompted by poll results showing poor backing in capital: govt source

Several former Thai Rak Thai MPs from Bangkok are striving for places on the party list for the next election following survey results that predict dismal prospects for them in many of the capital's constituencies, a party source said yesterday.

Former MPs like Sita Divari and Pimol Srivikorn, who won in the Klong Toei and Bang Kapi constituencies respectively in 2005, have informed deputy party leader Sudarat Keyuraphan, who is in charge of the Bangkok campaign, about their desire to be on the party list, the source said.

Public opinion polls conducted by the ruling party have found decreased support for Thai Rak Thai in many constituencies of Bangkok and it is likely that the party's candidates might lose in at least 15 of the capital's 37 constituencies, the source said.

The ruling party has seen a decline in popularity in Bung Kum, Bang Kapi, Klong Toei, Phya Thai, Huai Khwang, Watthana, Phra Khanong, Din Daeng and Wang Thonglang districts, most of which gave strong support to Thai Rak Thai candidates in the 2001 and 2005 general elections.

The source said Sudarat last week met with certain party leaders and former Bangkok MPs and they concluded that there was a need to change the campaign strategies and candidates in many of Bangkok constituencies.

The party's surveys also showed that Thai Rak Thai's popularity was unaffected in outer constituencies of the city and the party still expected to win between 10 and 15 seats from Bangkok, the source said.

Meanwhile, Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday spent a large portion of his speech on "Thai politics under a new Election Commission" offering himself as a capable candidate for prime minister.

Abhisit said that despite his relative youth - he turned 42 last Thursday - he was well prepared to become a modern leader who is a professional politician. He said Thailand needed a professional politician at the government's helm. "In the next election, we have to decide what type of leader we want. "If we just look at rich men who are hungry for power, ultimately we will head for crisis," he told a gathering of the Rotary Club at the Tawana Ramada hotel.

The Democrat leader said he did not want to be compared to caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who is the Thai Rak Thai leader. "But if you think Thaksin is the cause of the problem, you must consider alternatives. I insist that I'm definitely different from Thaksin," said Abhisit.

He said the country had been severely divided, which he described as the worst aspect of the political crisis facing Thailand. "I have been in politics for 15 years and have never seen such a severe crisis," he said.

The Nation

OK so Thaksin was just putting out his new campaign slogan.

"Smart people won’t vote for me,

educated people won’t vote for me,

What will you do on election day?"

“The Democrats have the South for reasons completely divorced from policy, and something in Bangkok,” said a western diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity. “If they lose again, it will be really hard for them to keep arguing that people in rural areas are idiots.”

http://www.ihtthaiday.com/IHT/ViewNews.asp...D=9490000101710

Mr. Phumtham held a meeting with TRT MPs, to prepare for new poll

Deputy Secretary of the Thai Rak Thai Party (TRT) Phumtham Wechayachai (ภูมิธรรม เวชชยชัย) held a meeting with TRT MPs to prepare for the upcoming general election.

In response to the news claiming that Mr. Suranand Vejjajiva will not run in the upcoming general election, Mr. Phumtham said that he does not know the details of such report. The TRT has not implemented on the party list MPs yet as the party would like to know the clear result of the selection of new election commissioners.

As for today’s meeting, TRT executives will exchange their views on the general election preparation, including vote solicitation.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 11 August 2006

PM calls for a meeting to brainstrom on proactive diplomatic plans

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra called a meeting with several Cabinet members to brainstorm ideas for issuing a proactive diplomatic strategy, so a policy would be laid out for Thailand to catch up with foreign countries.

The premier chaired the meeting with Foreign Affairs officers, Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai (สุรเกียรติ์ เสถียรไทย), Prime Minister’s Office Minister Suranand Vejjajiva (สุรนันทน์ เวชชาชีวะ), the Secretary-General to the Prime Minister, Dr. Prommin Lertsuridej (พรหมมินทร์ เลิศสุริย์เดช). He said that the government has implemented this project to analyze global trends for five years.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 11 August 2006

Thaksin to contest as No 1 party-list candidate

Thai Rak Thai Party leader Thaksin Shinawatra would contest the October 15 election as No 1 candidate on the party list.

Thai Rak Thai secretary-general Suriya Jungrungreangkit said Thaksin would be No 1 party-list candidate.

Thaksin's wife, Pochaman Shinawatra, also attended the meeting of party leading members Friday afternoon.

Source: The Nation - 11 August 2006

Thaksin to contest as No 1 party-list candidate

Thai Rak Thai Party leader Thaksin Shinawatra would contest the October 15 election as No 1 candidate on the party list.

Thai Rak Thai secretary-general Suriya Jungrungreangkit said Thaksin would be No 1 party-list candidate.

Thaksin's wife, Pochaman Shinawatra, also attended the meeting of party leading members Friday afternoon.

Source: The Nation - 11 August 2006

post-9005-1155286953.gif

post-9005-1155286818.gif

The Marcos couple are back...

I don't see the stroy of eucaliptus bribes making a separate thread, but the recent developments are quite comical.

Democrat Alongkorn alleges a bribe was paid for selling these trees off some plantation. His old ex-friend, ex-Democrat, now National Resource Minister Yongyudh is outraged that the allegations, competely false, btw, were made without consulting him first and vows to find Alongkorn and put him straight, no matter where he hides - in his office, in his home, anywhere.

He finally manages to pin down Alongkorn at Democrat's HQ, Alongkorn, duly obliged, shows him copies of contracts and checks for 1.5 mil baht.

Relentless Yongyudh immediately rushes to the house of the man mentioned in the contract, Sneh. Failing to get meet him he talks with the man's wife.

Then he calls a press-conference and declares that Alongkorn was a victim of a gang of con-artists, because Sneh's WIFE said he was a swindler.

Let's see what he will say next, if the contract and the check are found to be real.

>>>>>>>>

Re. Thaksin's No1 on party list - it doesn't automatically mean he will take PM post, and I believe he'll be disqualified one way or another, in one of the cases currently in courts, so the confrontation will be avoided.

Actually, this is something about the announcement to be on the party list and not be a direct-elected PM that I guess didn't realize previously:

Only directly elected MPs are eligible to become prime minister.

as well, according to this he hasn't decided yet:

PM mum over party-list plans

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday refused to say whether he would be on the Thai Rak Thai's party list for the next general election.

The party leader remained tight-lipped as to whether he would take the top spot on the list, or indeed whether he would be on it at all, but said that any candidate on the list could become prime minister.

*** who's right???***

"I'm on the list now, but I'm not sure what will happen on September 5," he said, referring to the date for candidacy registration to begin.

"You will know about it on September 5 and it will be clear on September 6," he said.

Thaksin was presiding over the opening of the "Best of Otop Fair" at Muang Thong Thani in the afternoon. The fair features products made under the government's One Tambon One Product project.

He missed the Thai Rak Thai's seminar for party-list candidates held at the party's headquarters yesterday.

The seminar was attended by key party figures and its major donor and the prime minister's wife, Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra.

Veera Musigapong, of the party's working group on political developments, advised the prospective party candidates to tell their constituents that Thaksin would decide later whether to return as prime minister if Thai Rak Thai won the election.

"We [the candidates] should not take any stance on the matter. Just tell the people that they should have no concerns about it.

They will know about it after the election result," he said at the seminar.

Thai Rak Thai has been unclear about its prime ministerial candidate amid growing disappointment with Thaksin, particularly among urban voters.

Thai Rak Thai secretary-general Suriya Jungrungreangkit said yesterday that the party wanted Thaksin to be at the top of the party list. But he said only Thaksin would say whether he would take the post of prime minister again if the party won the election.

The Nation

TRT fears independent media will cost it votes

A Thai Rak Thai executive has expressed concern to party-list candidates that the wider reach of independent broadcast media will cause the party to lose support in rural areas in the Oct 15 election. TRT party executive Veera Musikaphong said Thai Rak Thai was at a disadvantage because opponents, notably publisher Sondhi L. and the PAD, had succeeded in communicating with voters via their cable TV network and community radios. Because a wider audience had access to broadcast media critical of the government, the party needed to adjust campaigning strategies, and would need help from list candidates to campaign in rural areas, Mr Veera added.

''Those who attended the meeting believe that stronger criticism has been communicated via certain media outlets,'' said the source. They pointed to ASTV, run by Mr Sondhi's media group, and the many community radio stations across the country as the main concerns because they are free from state control. Mr Sondhi has broadcast his Thailand Weekly show on ASTV after it was removed from state-run Channel 9. Critics and media freedom advocates have criticised Mr Thaksin for interfering with media outlets, especially for strictly controlling broadcasting, since he came to power five years ago.

Meanwhile, Mr Thaksin told reporters yesterday that he was still number one on the list. But that could all change on Sept 6, the day he is to confirm if he will retain the number.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/12Aug2006_news12.php

Actually, this is something about the announcement to be on the party list and not be a direct-elected PM that I guess didn't realize previously:

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday refused to say whether he would be on the Thai Rak Thai's party list for the next general election.

The party leader remained tight-lipped as to whether he would take the top spot on the list, or indeed whether he would be on it at all, but said that any candidate on the list could become prime minister.

*** who's right???***

Both statements are correct..

Thailand was well aware of the shortcomings of the electorial system which was in place prior to the new constitution, which was introduced in 1997. Like many democratic countries, Thailand had a constituency based system prior to this. But many of the smaller political parties objected saying that proportional representation was a fairer system. As a result of the 1997 constitution Thailand formally adopted BOTH systems.

As a result, when a general election is called, people vote twice, the first is for their constituency, the second for proportional representation (Party List). There are 400 different constituencies in Thailand (Appox 1 seat per 150,000 people), in addition to this there are 100 seats made available for proportional representation (Party List). The number of these seats each party receives depends on their total percentage of votes for ALL the constituencies (If any party gets less than 5% of the popular vote then they are excluded).

Both Constituency and Party List members are considered to be Directly Elected Members of the House of Representatives. The Prime Minister can only be one of these 500 people.

*** who's right???***

"I'm on the list now, but I'm not sure what will happen on September 5," he said, referring to the date for candidacy registration to begin.

"You will know about it on September 5 and it will be clear on September 6," he said.

Thaksin was presiding over the opening of the "Best of Otop Fair" at Muang Thong Thani in the afternoon. The fair features products made under the government's One Tambon One Product project.

He missed the Thai Rak Thai's seminar for party-list candidates held at the party's headquarters yesterday.

The seminar was attended by key party figures and its major donor and the prime minister's wife, Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra.

Veera Musigapong, of the party's working group on political developments, advised the prospective party candidates to tell their constituents that Thaksin would decide later whether to return as prime minister if Thai Rak Thai won the election.

"We [the candidates] should not take any stance on the matter. Just tell the people that they should have no concerns about it.

They will know about it after the election result," he said at the seminar.

Thai Rak Thai has been unclear about its prime ministerial candidate amid growing disappointment with Thaksin, particularly among urban voters.

Thai Rak Thai secretary-general Suriya Jungrungreangkit said yesterday that the party wanted Thaksin to be at the top of the party list. But he said only Thaksin would say whether he would take the post of prime minister again if the party won the election.

The Nation

Every now and again we get a glimpse of the real power, money and brains behind the TRT concept.

There is no question that Thaksin will run, I think he is holding out on saying with the hopes he can get away with campaigning before the official start date. He simply has to run or he is finished in more ways than one. Once he is removed from office they will be all over him like flies on s**t. He has past the point of no return by doing all he has done.

One visual come to mind with this. If you have ever been to Niagra Falls, the island between the Canadian and American falls is called Goat island. It is said that any boat along side of Goat island will go over the falls because the water is moving too fast and is too shallow thus damaging the props. The water takes about 40 seconds from the upstream tip of the island to going over. I somehow see Thaksin in a boat there with full power trying to go upstream.

A Thai Rak Thai executive has expressed concern to party-list candidates that the wider reach of independent broadcast media will cause the party to lose support in rural areas in the Oct 15 election. TRT party executive Veera Musikaphong said Thai Rak Thai was at a disadvantage because opponents, notably publisher Sondhi L. and the PAD, had succeeded in communicating with voters via their cable TV network and community radios. Because a wider audience had access to broadcast media critical of the government, the party needed to adjust campaigning strategies, and would need help from list candidates to campaign in rural areas, Mr Veera added.

''Those who attended the meeting believe that stronger criticism has been communicated via certain media outlets,'' said the source. They pointed to ASTV, run by Mr Sondhi's media group, and the many community radio stations across the country as the main concerns because they are free from state control. Mr Sondhi has broadcast his Thailand Weekly show on ASTV after it was removed from state-run Channel 9. Critics and media freedom advocates have criticised Mr Thaksin for interfering with media outlets, especially for strictly controlling broadcasting, since he came to power five years ago.

Meanwhile, Mr Thaksin told reporters yesterday that he was still number one on the list. But that could all change on Sept 6, the day he is to confirm if he will retain the number.

This is also a stunning admission that state controlled media is purely a tool of the government. The ratio of state controlled media to independent media is well loaded to the state side, so what are TRT really worrying about?

*** who's right???***

Both statements are correct..

Thailand was well aware of the shortcomings of the electorial system which was in place prior to the new constitution, which was introduced in 1997. Like many democratic countries, Thailand had a constituency based system prior to this. But many of the smaller political parties objected saying that proportional representation was a fairer system. As a result of the 1997 constitution Thailand formally adopted BOTH systems.

As a result, when a general election is called, people vote twice, the first is for their constituency, the second for proportional representation (Party List). There are 400 different constituencies in Thailand (Appox 1 seat per 150,000 people), in addition to this there are 100 seats made available for proportional representation (Party List). The number of these seats each party receives depends on their total percentage of votes for ALL the constituencies (If any party gets less than 5% of the popular vote then they are excluded).

Both Constituency and Party List members are considered to be Directly Elected Members of the House of Representatives. The Prime Minister can only be one of these 500 people.

Yes, thank you for the above and I did know those parts already.... I guess I was just mistinterpreting the "directly-elected" MP phrase to meaning only the constituency MP's and not the party-list MP's... meaning that if Thaksin accepted to be a party list MP, he wasn't eligible to be PM.

Thank you for the clarification that directly-elected applies to both sets of MP's.

This is also a stunning admission that state controlled media is purely a tool of the government. The ratio of state controlled media to independent media is well loaded to the state side, so what are TRT really worrying about?

I got the impression they were worried because they don't have an absolute 100% of the media under control.

I guess they would feel threatened if a lone ham radio operator was broadcasting from the jungle.

Children speaking on tin cans tied with string might also pose a risk to them.